Mens Tennis Forums banner

Björn Phau

80K views 573 replies 55 participants last post by  rrfnpump 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
i just want to know
who is this guy?
is it true that he beat Pavel and Gambil some weeks ago?
thx :wavey:

#2 · (Edited)
Re: Björn Phau?

Bjorn is ranked somewhere in the late 200’s (almost 300) if I recall.

I know he's a regular on The Challenger circuit and plays for TK Grün-Weiss Mannheim in Bundesliga.

Seems to be doing well in the AUS Open qualifying:
Phau d. Juan Pablo Brzezicki 6-1 : 7(7)-6(5)
Phau d. Ivo Klec 6-2 : 7(7)-6(4)

Other than that I don’t know a great deal about him, Martijn and Neely will possibly know more.

#4 ·

I observe his career intensively the last few months. I think in May 2004, he was around no.240 and because of the good results in challengers, he improved a lot and is now no.123. Last week he started the season with a final in Noumea. His career highest ranking is 113 from 2002 and I'm sure he will improve it soon. Maybe with a 2nd round in Melbourne.

#5 · (Edited)

Phau faces Albert Costa in Round 1. He was 2nd lucky loser.
He'll play Heilbronn and Wroclaw after AusOpen.

Years ago, he was part of Boris Becker's Mercedes Junior Team. I think he did well in the junior events, but I'm mnot so sure about it. He was not seen as such a big talent as Daniel Elsner was. Now he's 25 years old. I don't know much about his game, I have only seen a bit of his match against Hewitt years ago. Maybe his serve is a little problem. He is not very tall and has more a kind of "percentage serve". Today, he made only 5? % of the points when his 1st serve came in.

#14 ·

I watched him play in the qualies in Rotterdam today... too bad he lost against Olivier Rochus... But he didn't play bad, IMO.
What was funny: when he lost his serve he shouted something like 'Wursten'! :lol: I was laughing my ass off!! :)

#15 ·

SuperFurryAnimal said:
I watched him play in the qualies in Rotterdam today... too bad he lost against Olivier Rochus... But he didn't play bad, IMO.
What was funny: when he lost his serve he shouted something like 'Wursten'! :lol: I was laughing my ass off!! :)
unbelievable :eek: it only speaks for the strength of the main field of this Rotterdam tournament if somebody like Rochus, ranked around 40, has to qualify :eek:

#22 ·

Bjorn Phau, i met him in HEINEKEN OPEN 2004 shanghai. well, that's funny that i think he is a chinese that time, and i was talk to him in chinese. in fact he can't undertand me. and he told me that he is from Germany i was surprised about that. i saw her girlfriend, she is not very beautiful, i thought. i got his autograph...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.