Mens Tennis Forums banner

I Just Saw CORIA at the US OPEN Practice Court!

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  star 
#1 · (Edited)
...carla coria, to be exact. :p

but here is my story...

it is sunday, the day before the US Open begins. and i woke up and decided to drive over to the tennis centre to see who was practicing. i saw gonzo hitting with his short off (i mean, SHIRT off! :eek: ex-CUSE me!), as well as federer (who has REALLY skinny legs! he looks bigger on TV) and agassi (just as bald as on TV), stinky-face lleyton hewitt (who looks JUST as stinky-faced as on TV! :lol: ), venus, and at the very end, our very own argentian hottie mariano PUERTA! :lick: well, he is just delicious.

but before i left for the stadium, i decided to burn a DVD of a VERY OLD match because i know coria loves and respects tennis history, and i had one of his namesake Guillermo VILAS winning the 1974 masters final, which was a big surprise win at the time over Nastase. I put it in my back pocket and off i went, figuring, no way am i gonna see coria and give it to him, but i would be sad if i did and then didnt have a present.

so, just as i arrive at the practice courts, i look: no guille. hit, hit, hit...yes, federer is a dream...hit, hit...and after just 10 minutes or so, i turn and i am STANDING NEXT TO CARLA! she is on her way back past the guards to go to the security area. But it is as if she is lost for just one moment and she stands beside me pensively as if shes looking for something but with no specific direction.

At first, I am 'daze'-d, because ...well, its carla and also carla is VERY SMALL and thin, not what i expected after seeing her so many times on TV where she looks full-grown. She's a bird. Just beautiful. Anyway, I say, "CARLA?!" and she looks up from her thoughts and half-smiles. I think she's a little shy and dont think she has much english! :lol: but in my fractured spanish, I say, 'amazing! carla...para tu y guille" (she smiles at that) "this masters match from 1974 of vilas and nastase, very rare!"

At first, she thinks Im going to hand her a pen and when she realized i didnt ask for an autograph but was giving a gift instead, she was surprised. her eyes went like this: :eek: ...and it is weird indeed, because why was i there with this match specifically for THEM with no knowledge i could possibly interact with them? strange indeed. maybe it is a good sign, in fact, for guille here at the Open that he too may make a big surprise forward in this years event in NY. So anyway, she said, 'oh!' and smiled and we nodded farewell.

then i thought for sure guille would come and hit on the courts fairly soon (i was too distracted in the moment to just ask carla!! :cuckoo: ) but i stayed around for two hours more and no such luck. I was glad puerta came out to hit though, and i saw guga who looked quite good, and jan michael gambill, who is really tall and also quite nice to look at. Not that i EVER care about such a thing as that! :lol: ...maybe just a little.

anyway, hope you enjoyed my fateful rendez-vous with EL CORIA!!! :worship: and yes, i got my ticket to see him play on the grandstand court tomorrow afternoon in the first round. :yeah:

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Truc said:
Thanks, daze! It's surprising, she doesn't look that small on the pics (almost as tall as Guille).
I can't wait for your report of his first round win tomorrow. ;)
oh, i didnt mean she was SHORT at all, just small-boned, very delicate features the way a model has. i expected her face to be a little wider but as for tall, i'd guess around 5 foot 6. svetlana was hitting and she didnt look nearly the truck driver she does on tv! :lol:
adee-gee said:
I've never been so jealous of someone in my whole life :crying2:

You didn't happen to get her phone number by any chance did you :lol: :p
well, she DID, of course, but it was in such rapid-fire spanish, i missed it. ;) sorry!

#7 ·
Thanks for sharing this nice story with us, daze :hug:

#11 ·
someone suggested i put the POST-SCRIPT in here, so i am repeating this from the cheering thread:

i went to the match and sat 3rd row right by the court. at the very start after they sat down, carla quickly pointed excitedly over toward me and her friend and guille's coach looked over and smiled. i think the COACH was probably more excited about getting a look at that match than carla!! besides it was more his generation....but i take it they did look at it. :)

#16 ·
daze11 said:
i know, like the guy next to me was taking...but they are good with the digital cameras!! if i had my cellphone with pix, i would have used that...but someone stole it. so now i have a crappy phone. :(
That sucks, you should've asked Carla to ask Guille if he'll buy you a new one :lol:

Are you going to Flushing Meadows any other days?

#17 ·
adee-gee said:
That sucks, you should've asked Carla to ask Guille if he'll buy you a new one :lol:

Are you going to Flushing Meadows any other days?
not yet. if i see he's playing a night match i'll try to get tickets before. last time i went without tickets in advance i waited in a line THREE HOURS...more than i probably saw of tennis!!!

#21 ·
wow cool!!:D:D and next time you'll see Guille himself;)

Reactions: Jorge
#22 ·
Carla is absolutely gorgeous and has perfect figure! She's slim but of course camara always adds a few pounds. I saw them both together at AO while waiting for official transportation (KIA) to take them back to the hotel. When you see Guille, you definitely will say, 'he looks thousands times cuter than on TV' and he already looks absolutely delicious on TV. Trust me, I was like.....oh, my gosh! And he signed my Adidas cap. Love him.....love him......

#23 ·
:inlove: when I saw him irl, he looked so tall:p because normally I see him with other, taller players, but that time I saw him with me and I'm smaller.. :D
I should've ask him to sign my schoolbag, damn.. that would be so cool! well next time;)

#24 ·
iloveguille said:
Carla is absolutely gorgeous and has perfect figure! She's slim but of course camara always adds a few pounds. I saw them both together at AO while waiting for official transportation (KIA) to take them back to the hotel. When you see Guille, you definitely will say, 'he looks thousands times cuter than on TV' and he already looks absolutely delicious on TV. Trust me, I was like.....oh, my gosh! And he signed my Adidas cap. Love him.....love him......
i agree, completely. he was much more hot than i even expected...his features are STRONG and look nothing like anyone else. he's more than hot but a true original.
:)

#25 ·
daze11 said:
someone suggested i put the POST-SCRIPT in here, so i am repeating this from the cheering thread:

i went to the match and sat 3rd row right by the court. at the very start after they sat down, carla quickly pointed excitedly over toward me and her friend and guille's coach looked over and smiled. i think the COACH was probably more excited about getting a look at that match than carla!! besides it was more his generation....but i take it they did look at it. :)
This is so fabulous!! It makes me want to find a CD to burn for him next time I go to IW. :)

Guille in person -- particularly with no shirt on . And Carla is small -- with tiny bones. She usually wears 3 or 4 inch heels so that's why she is looking so much nearer Coria's height. She's a pretty girl and she seems very nice too. Just the way she pointed you out and was sure they all knew it was you who had given the CD was sweet and generous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.