Place: Melbourne - Australia.

Draw:
R1 - def Paire 6-3 6-4 6-1
R2 - def Davydenko 6-3 6-4 6-4
R3 - def Tomic 6-4 7-6(5) 6-1
R4 - def Raonic 6-4 7-6(4) 6-2
QF - def Tsonga 7-6(4) 4-6 7-6(4) 3-6 6-3
SF - loss to Murray 4-6 7-6(5) 3-6 7-6(2) 2-6

First tournament of the year. The Roger-Abstinence is ending.

Okay, so, my good MTFriend Roger the Dodger thought it'd be nice if I opened this thread. I know I don't have the best experiences opening threads :lol: . But I'd give it a shot.

The MTFedForum is our little piece of heaven in this whole big Forum and we are all cheering here for our Tennis King in the beautiful Australian hardcourts.

We know who the most difficults rivals are here, we know they're in a great moment, but we also know who the real King is, who won 4 AOs (Combine all the players who're gonna play next week. They all together have less Australian Open titles than Roger ;) ).

Time to shine again, this time in Melbourne. As he did before.

Outfit:

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: ♕ 2013 Australian Open ♕ - Waiting for the main draw.

Yay Viruzzz! :bigclap:

Come on, Rogerrrrr!!! :cheerleader:

#7 ·

I don't know if it's just me, being British, but every time I see Roger wearing grey shorts it makes me think of school uniform :eek:

Hoping he'll do well here, but I'm a bit concerned about the idea of not having any warm-up tournaments.

#16 ·

I don't know if it's just me, being British, but every time I see Roger wearing grey shorts it makes me think of school uniform :eek:

Hoping he'll do well here, but I'm a bit concerned about the idea of not having any warm-up tournaments.
Grey was the main colour of my school uniform ... have disliked the colour ever since!

I was a bit surprised that Roger wasn't playing anywhere before the AO - but I believe he knows his body + mind best so refused to be concerned about it.

Belated Roger-Happy New Year to one and all here. I'm keeping everything x'd the year will get even happier on Sunday, January 27.

#8 ·

I kind of like the number 5 for AO titles. Then again I'd also like to see a small ladder of GS outside of RG with 5 AOs, 6 USOs and 7 Wimbledons :D.

Let's hope he starts on that in this tournament earns at least #18 by the end of the year.

#9 ·

Roger wants us to help him choose which shoes he will be wearing for the day session:
Hey guys, the NIKEiD folks sent me 4 pairs of Vapor 9's for me to wear during the Australian Open. Which one should I pick? Vote for your favorite at the Nike Tennis page.

Vote on NIKE Tennis facebook page by liking the picture of the shoes you like
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152372912890332.950518.10150107266525332&type=1

I will vote for the pink/grey ones. But it looks like the blue one is winning. As if Rog doesn't wear enough blue :rolleyes:;)

#10 ·

It would be nice to have 5+ slams at AO, USO and Wimbledon. Also to have 10 HC slams would be a nice number.

Without nadal on the picture I can see Roger winning the AO if he plays as well as last year. He could have won last year, he could've beat djokovic but that damned nadal stopped him once again. :mad:

Well no nadal this year. :devil:

#13 ·

Nadal isn't the only one capable of beating him
I didn't say that. I said last year I felt he would have won the AO had he not played kneedal because of the level of play he showed.

Anyways in any tournament anywhere in the world if I could choose a player from the top4 for Roger to play against I would never choose nadal. Roger has a much better chance against djokovic than nadal.

#17 · (Edited)

Guys. I'm worried. After that leg stretch with the pink t-shirt we didn't see more pictures of Roger practicing.
I mean yesterday and today. Nowin Melbourne is 6.25pm so the day there has finished.

I hope there is a good reason we didn't see such a pictures.

Roger in some interview told hr would like to take rest 2 or 3 days befor his 1st match.
So it means Friday Saturday and Sunday if he plays on Monday and I'm afr as id he's playing on tuesday so one more day.

#18 ·

Guys. I'm worried. After that leg stretch with the pink t-shirt we didn't see more pictures of Roger practicing.
I mean yesterday and today. Nowin Melbourne is 6.25pm so the day there has finished.

I hope there is a good reason we didn't see such a pictures.

Roger in some interview told hr would like to take rest 2 or 3 days befor his 1st match.
So it means Friday Saturday and Sunday if he plays on Monday and I'm afr as id he's playing on tuesday so one more day.
As I said a lot of times: "If we can't believe in Roger, we can't believe in nobody".

#24 ·
#29 ·

There's no other choice but to be incredibly fit and great from the start in his first tournament of the year at 30 years old.

All of his first three rounds' opponents can be very very dangerous : Paire, Davydenko, Tomic or Klizan.

Next rounds are better and then there's Murray but I can't look that far, as these first rounds are the worst he's had in years, and precisely the year when he hasn't had warm-up tournaments !

Either he's in one of his best slam forms of recent years or it can be finished early.

#37 ·

There's no other choice but to be incredibly fit and great from the start in his first tournament of the year at 30 years old.

All of his first three rounds' opponents can be very very dangerous : Paire, Davydenko, Tomic or Klizan.

Next rounds are better and then there's Murray but I can't look that far, as these first rounds are the worst he's had in years, and precisely the year when he hasn't had warm-up tournaments !

Either he's in one of his best slam forms of recent years or it can be finished early.
:confused: If he is in mediocre slam form I expect him to reach qf/sf pretty straight forward. And mediocre is what happens most. I feel that some exho at the start of the year doesn't really matter, Federer himself said that he thought a training session would be more important.

For me because of the hard draw the chances are a little higher that he exits in rd2 or 3. but still he didn't make QFs for almost ten years because he has troubles with/is vulnerable against unseeded players!

by the way, your favourite player is 31 years old. It seems like now he won a slam again everyone calls him a 30year old, where last year when he was actually 30 he was called 31:confused:

#30 ·

Challenge accepted. See you in the finals.

#32 ·

Thank you Jedi Fed for your optimism!

Paire might be dangerous but that match and the Davydenko match might be the exact warm up matches he needs.

I don't expect Kolya to hit the form he did against Ferrer in Doha, while playing Fed. He has issues with Fed.

#36 ·

I don't expect Kolya to hit the form he did against Ferrer in Doha, while playing Fed. He has issues with Fed.
if anything, he's very motivated against Fed.

His best matches of the year 2012 (Rotterdam) and 2010 (Australian open and Cincy) he played against Fed whereas being very disappointing in the rest of his year.

Fed has often won tight matches against him but it's not an easy match-up for him, he's seldom had easy matches.

Actually I think that if Fed doesn't reach his best level in that first week, Fed's best chance in that first week would be a warm weather as for Paire, Davydenko and Tomic, fitness may be a weak point.

#33 ·

I'm wondering why in his draw there aren't Djokovic and Berdych?
I've never seen a worst draw.
When he was #1 he had Murray and nn ow it would be logical to have Ferrer or not???

And I'm asking to myself where are the wc and qualified or #70s #80s???

So Roger to arrive to the final has to do battle after battle(this can prepare him for a tough final as in Indian Wells but it can happen as at the Olympics) and Djokovic, we can consider,
is yet the 1st finalist.
In tennis you never can know but the way to push him out is kiling him as the Tipsy's video shows.

#40 ·
Re: ♕ 2013 Australian Open ♕ - R1 vs Paire

Don't particularly like this draw, but on the other hand all the dangerous players he might face before the quarters are players he owns. Still, this is one of the best chances for a while for a pre-quarter exit. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.