Place: Melbourne - Australia.

Draw:
R1 - def Paire 6-3 6-4 6-1
R2 - def Davydenko 6-3 6-4 6-4
R3 - def Tomic 6-4 7-6(5) 6-1
R4 - def Raonic 6-4 7-6(4) 6-2
QF - def Tsonga 7-6(4) 4-6 7-6(4) 3-6 6-3
SF - loss to Murray 4-6 7-6(5) 3-6 7-6(2) 2-6

First tournament of the year. The Roger-Abstinence is ending.

Okay, so, my good MTFriend Roger the Dodger thought it'd be nice if I opened this thread. I know I don't have the best experiences opening threads :lol: . But I'd give it a shot.

The MTFedForum is our little piece of heaven in this whole big Forum and we are all cheering here for our Tennis King in the beautiful Australian hardcourts.

We know who the most difficults rivals are here, we know they're in a great moment, but we also know who the real King is, who won 4 AOs (Combine all the players who're gonna play next week. They all together have less Australian Open titles than Roger ;) ).

Time to shine again, this time in Melbourne. As he did before.

Outfit:

See less See more
#557 ·
Re: ♕ 2013 Australian Open ♕ - QF def Tsonga 7-6(4) 4-6 7-6(4) 3-6 6-3. SF vs Murray

for those who missed it today :))
not the best quality but the best I could do

Reactions: Fed_Ds
#559 ·
Re: ♕ 2013 Australian Open ♕ - QF def Tsonga 7-6(4) 4-6 7-6(4) 3-6 6-3. SF vs Murray

great tweets

Jesse Pentecost ‏@thenextpoint
I mean, this is great and all, but it's no Murray-Chardy.
Matt Zemek ‏@mzemek
Credit to Tsonga, whose shot selection wasn't always inspired, but who -- unlike YOU, Tomas Berdych -- fought for 100 % of a tennis match.
Beyond The Baseline ‏@SI_BTBaseline
Love that from Federer. Packs up his bags and stands and waits for Tsonga to walk off court, Wimbledon style. Respect earned. #ausopen
Amer Delic ‏@AmerDelic
I think Roger has finally earned his choice to play a day-session if he asks for one. Just my opinion. #AusOpen
Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters
Federer playing at night, has missed breakfast every day, goes to sleep at 3 AM, wakes up at noon. Tonight maybe 4, wake up at 1

#561 ·

I am new to this sport, hope it won´t be a problem to ask... Who is the mister with Roger on the picture?
Rod Laver. Winner of a calendar year Grand Slam both in 1962 and 1969. The one in 1962 wasn't as impressive, at that time the best players were playing pro tournaments. He duly became a pro himself the following year and stayed out of regular slams (only open to amateurs) until 1968. In 1969, however, the Open Era had started - all the pros were back in the slams - and to win all four is quite remarkable. One of the true all time greats.

#562 ·

Adding to this Rod Laver is a huge idol from Roger.

I don't know if you have seen the AO trophy ceremony from 2006 when Roger was so emotional to get the trophy from Mr. Laver :)

#592 ·

Adding to this Rod Laver is a huge idol from Roger.

I don't know if you have seen the AO trophy ceremony from 2006 when Roger was so emotional to get the trophy from Mr. Laver :)

Wow, I remember watching this a while back but forgot how emotional he was, considering he won!

It's so great to see though, at the peak of his career he is still so humble in victory.

Why was Roger so emotional this time? Obviously Rod was an absolute legend in the game, but did he have a specific admiration for Rod?

#565 ·

I don't understand why so many thinks so little of Rogers chances against Murray. He beat him in straight sets in London only a couple months ago on a simular court. Also he has never lost to Murray in a slam. IMO Fed is the favorite and I will be very disappointed if he lose.

#568 ·

Also he has never lost to Murray in a slam.
Every time I hear "has never" I flash back to Wimbledon 2011, where the commentator said that Roger had never lost a (GS?) match from 2 sets to love up :(

Anyway, I'm off to have my bath - with Radox "Stress Relief" bubble bath. I think I deserve it today :)

#566 ·

Thank you very much for all explanations :) I´ll do more researches about him, I love to read histories about the greatest in the sports I like :) I´m still learning about tennis history, thanks a lot for the patience :)

#567 ·

Even though Murray has never won against Roger in a GS he has the confidence now of giving him a close match in Wimbledon last year and beat him in a best of 5 match at the Olympics a few weeks later. Adding to this he won't have the pressure anymore to get his first GS title.

It has to be seen if it is an advantage for Andy that he wasn't tested so far in the tournament yet or if the tougher draw Roger had to get through favours our man going into this SF.

#569 ·

You're quite welcome Panthera! Please make yourself at home. :D

#570 ·

I don't understand why so many thinks so little of Rogers chances against Murray. He beat him in straight sets in London only a couple months ago on a simular court. Also he has never lost to Murray in a slam. IMO Fed is the favorite and I will be very disappointed if he lose.
Some of us predicted this. :) Hopefully it will come true.

#574 · (Edited)

I think something very strange about Murray recently (that make help Roger) is that his grinding prowess has somewhat diminished. By that I mean he's become more attacking (especially with his FH) and his BH has somewhat become less reliable. And if he serves big, we know how Roger returns some of these bombs.

The crucial element for this match will be Roger's security on his serve because the weather is not likely to help him, as duong pointed out. If he gets the serve working at the beginning, it'll allow him to go for a bit more on his FH and find his rhythm if he hasn't already done so at the beginning. I think a slow start ala Wimbledon 2012 would be pretty bad.

Let's hope Geniuserer and Fighterer brings out JesusFed for the final :rocker2:. Hopp, Fed!

#581 ·

Best of luck in the semis..bring your A game and you CAN take Murray out. You've done it before.....ALLEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ..We will all be cheering!

Hi everyone...:wavey:

Luna M

#583 ·

:wavey: hey luna! ready for tonight??

2:30 am my time. Incredible my love for Roger turns me into a zombie this time of year :D

Roger, please please please bring your serve and forehand to the match! Believe
Allez!! :cheerleader:

#587 ·

Well, I don't know who's going to win this one - I think there are too many variables. But from the point of view of match style I'd rather have Roger in the final than Andy - I was so bored in the Murray/Djokovic match at the WTF. OTOH, I'd also rather have the person with the better chance against Djokovic - not sure they're one and the same.

At least I should actually be able to watch this one, and not have to rely on the livescores.

#589 ·

Hello all! Hope you are all well!

I am sorry I haven't been around since the start of the year, have been working a lot, and the Australian Open hours are the best for those living in the UK (matches starting at midnight!)

Anyway, I haven't watched too much of Roger for the obvious regions, but have made effort when I've had the time! He seems to be playing well. Tsonga was such a tough match, I was watching the scoreboard at work and a bag of nerves!

Regarding the Murray match, I think Murray will win and is the favorite, I dont know why this, I just think it :shrug: :(

But obviously I want and pray and dream tonight Roger will win!

Does anyone have an idea what time the match will start GMT?

Doubles starts at 3am, give that 1hr 30, then 0430 for the womens doubles, another 1hr 30, do I am thinking it may start at 6am?

#590 ·

Rogieva! Good to see you back :) The match starts 07.30 PM local time which should equate to 08:30 AM GMT. It can't start sooner, but could conceivably (unlikely) start later if the previous matches are marathons.

#591 ·

Oh, thanks for the Litoles! I didn't realise it had a specific start time (or not before time)

I have to work at 11am, so looks like I will only be able to catch the first hour or two :(

Looks like it will be another iphone refresh scoreboard match :lol:

#596 ·

Great vid.

EDIT: Can anyone understand what Roger said there? :lol:

I really wanna know.
Sexy as hell. :hearts:

Gotta go to bed to wake up early to watch him. Go Roger! :rocker2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.