Mens Tennis Forums banner

Gonzo Articles and News

140K views 2K replies 95 participants last post by  champras 
#1 ·
Gonzalez wins Heineken Open

AUCKLAND, New Zealand (AP) -- Fifth-seeded Fernando Gonzalez of Chile won his fifth ATP Tour title Saturday, beating Belgium's Olivier Rochus, 6-4, 6-2 in the Heineken Open.

"Some weeks I play good and some not. This was my week,'' said Gonzalez, ranked 23rd in the world. "I think I played almost perfect. I felt really good on the court today and I took every opportunity he gave me.''

Rochus, at 5-foot-5 the shortest player on the men's circuit, beat top-seeded Guillermo Coria or Argentina on the way to the final.

"I tried my best but I think today he was just too good,'' Rochus said. "He was just too strong and he was serving too good. Every shot was perfect.''

The Australian Open begins Monday in Melbourne.

#3 ·
Gonzalez says that does not matter for him to be the first one of Chile

Fernando Gonzalez had a little time to celebrate his fifth title in the ATP, because he took his things and left rapidly with Horacio de la Peña towards Australia, in a trip of three hours and a half, approximately.

Consulted he brings over of being again the racket number one of Chile, Fernando said that "the ránking is a circumstance of the good game, nothing more ". The santiaguino added that "it matters for me to play more well and be accumulating hours of game for the close challenges that will come. The year is very long ".

Gonzalez remained located finally in the sixteenth position of the ránking ATP.

#4 ·
Chile con carnival

by DYLAN CLEAVER

When Fernando Gonzalez emerged from the bowels of Stanley St shortly after 3pm yesterday, showered, changed and not looking much like a tennis star at all, he was besieged by Auckland's Chilean community.

He remained composed, acknowledged their support and, phooof! - he was gone in what seemed like a puff of smoke.

Which was much like the final of the Heineken Open: here one minute, gone the next.

In a master-class of controlled bludgeoning from both sides of the court, Gonzalez destroyed his diminutive Belgian opponent.

"He was just too good," said Rochus, which was as perceptive as it was succinct.

Gonzalez lost just 11 points on his serve in the match and just four, three of them in one game, in the second set.

He faced only two break points in the match, which he responded to with a forehand winner and a strong volley.

Rochus, on the other hand, had to fight and scrap for every point. He did it to some effect in the first set, buzzing around court like an annoying insect, returning most of what Gonzalez threw at him.

It was his only chance of winning - death by a 1000 sandfly bites.

But if he was waiting for Gonzalez to miss, he was going to be waiting a long time.

The Chilean, roared home by his faithful fans, broke in the 10th game to take the first set and the rest was one-way traffic. As it has been for Gonzalez all week.

He didn't drop a set on the way to his fifth ATP Tour title and his first on hardcourts.

"Some weeks I play bad, some weeks I play good. This was a great week," Gonzalez said.

The 24-year-old was in a rush; he had a 4.30pm plane to catch to the Australian Open, where he will meet Argentina's Jose Acasuso, who got as far as the quarter-finals in Auckland.

"The only thing I was thinking about was winning the match, not the plane," Gonzalez said. "For me it was a fantastic match."

Gonzalez said the key to his success this week had been the fact he was moving better. He put this down to increased fitness and the fact he has lost a few kilos.

Another key was that his perceived weakness was a strength.

Before Friday's semifinal his opponent Juan Ignacio Chela admitted he was going to have to find Gonzalez' backhand if he was to stand any chance. Rochus also tried this tactic.

"They play to my backhand because my forehand is my best shot, you know," he said. Neither found the holes they wanted.

The popular Chilean became the fourth South American to win New Zealand's national title after Peru's Jaime Yzaga ('92), Brazil's Gustavo Kuerten ('03) and Gonzalez' countryman Marcelo Rios seven years ago.

#6 ·
Fernando Gonzalez: "I'm different, because I'm more rapid and I improved the attack"

There is one before and one later in Fernando's Gonzalez career. This that fell down in a slight existential crisis after be illuminating in the Olympic Games of Athens and other one that now takes a squall of seven victories. Installed with property in the third round of Australian Open, the new number one of Chile extracts his conclusions of this change, the same one that comes proclaiming his coach, Horacio de la Peña.

But Fernando wants to think it calmly, because one doesn't forget that he was on the verge of performance remained out of the first Grand Slam of the season due to his problems before the Argentinian Jose Acasuso. Of all forms, he rescues of this "fright" a very positive fact: "To win Jose gave to me confidence... They were different days, because in the first one I was near losing and now I conquered coolly Igor (Andreev). It's rescatable ".

Gonzalez assures that he has had technical changes in the latter time, thanks to the good pretemporada that he did in Chile.

"I'm different, because I'm more rapid and now I improved the game of attack... It has helped me enough. I expect to support the level ", he comments.

The Chilean emphasizes that this change has a base: "I Have another trainer (he changed the Brazilian Fernando Cao into Carlos Burgos) that is all the time with me and that said to me that I had to lose weight ". Not for nothing, Gonzalez can say today that he lowered four kilos for the beginning of season, which has allowed him to become exhausted less and to be more light.

"The decision to change (the trainer) was the suitable one, because I feel much better and now it is necessary to support ".

Nalbandian in the way

The Chilean will have now a obstacle of major renown. His rival will be the Argentinian David Nalbandian, ninth in the System of Entry. "He is a very hard player, but if I continue playing this way, I believe that I have options to advance".

This opponent is specially complicated for Gonzalez, because in five confrontations only he won one, though the last one to be imposed was the Chilean.

#9 ·
This probably isn't news to most people here, but just saw an article confirming that Fena and Nico Massu will defend their WTC title in Dusseldorf again this year. The article is mainly about David Nalbandian and Guillermo Coria confirming their appearance there for Argentina this year, in preparation for the Davis Cup in July, but here is the link anyway. Sorry - I'm at work so no time to translate it all now.:-

http://www.tercera.cl/medio/articulo/0,0,3308_5832_118818538,00.html

#11 ·
Here’s the internet translation of an article/interview from the newspaper La Segunda (have posted the original in Feña’s Español forum)

Fernando González recharges batteries in Santiago
"Al World of Düsseldorf we go with four players"

The idea is to invite a fourth member to defend the title and on his coach, confirmed that "I will travel with Horacio of the Rock although the captain be Patrician Rodriguez".

González and Of the Rock, a double inseparable one. Fernando González belongs to that species of querendones of its family. Because of it that in Miami, during the tournament of Key Biscayne, they were their mother, their older sister and their father. For him better nothing than enjoying them and in their city. Santiago has for him a special attraction. They will be ten days alternating a daily work of not less than 3 hours, that will extend al double from Thursday on next in double shift in the central tenístico located near Kennedy with Américo Vespucio.

The plans contemplate, by common consent with Nicolas Massú, for the World one by Teams of Düsseldorf (15 of May), to travel with other Chileans as Adrián Garcia Hermes Gamonal and Paul Capdeville, for be not carried all the weight of the tournament. And in the banking they will be, Patrician Rodriguez, like the captain, but also Horacio of the Rock, supervising the performance of their pupilo, Fernando González.

¿How much time requires a tennis player of your level to reload batteries in the middle of an intense season?

Every tennis player, especially the south americans that live far away, we need to pass some days at home with ours, family and friends; is always important to return although be well tenística and mentally..

¿The cut has to do with the intense thing of the season of clay to face Rome, Hamburg, World Cup by teams and Roland Garros?

Yes, it is better to stop, to be taken the things with calm and to avoid the injuries. I have clear that the master series that come (Rome and Hamburg) and Roland Garros, are the hardest tournaments of slow courts and one must be hundred percent.

Comply I am not

¿Which is your balance of these almost 4 months of activity?

Always one has the sensation to be able to improve the things. But I do not want to be unjust, I had good results, I gained a championship (Auckland in New Zealand fast courts), and I am very motivated. The word comply do not i like, but I believe that are going to arrive better successes.

We will invite other players..

¿This year also they will confront with Massú all the parties in Düsseldorf?

Not, this year we will alternate. Already I spoke it with Nicolas. We will go four players and not three (in 2004 besides was integrated Adrián Garcia).

¿To who are going to invite?

Perhaps to Adrián Garcia, Hermes Gamonal and also they would be able to be Phillip Harboe, Paul Capdeville or to the same one Jorge Aguilar. I would love to carry some young player that was rising, but seems me that still there is not none it sufficiently prepared. At any rate one must take it with calm, already we will speak with the players that to us (with Massú) seems us that they can be in the team.

Massú, by being the one of Chile, has the privilege of appointing al technical for the Tournament of the Nations and will be Patrician Rodriguez. What happens with its coach, Horacio of The Rock?

Horacio is my coach and he will travel to Germany. Respect any decision, but my technician is Of the Rock.

The prize by gaining the Cup of Nations should reach to some US$800 thousand, that in case of repeating the title and to reach a tricampeonato, the "torta" will be distributed between all the members of the team and now, as opposed to last year, will be four players.

#12 ·
Another great interview with Fernando (internet translation)

Fernando González: "Each time I feel more near the number one"

The "Bomber" initiates Monday the one that will be its harder tour of the year in European courts, where expects to reach the "tri" in Düsseldorf and to give the surprise in Roland Garros.

It confessed that is not pololeando and that expects to see to play Chile in the World one of Germany.

The present number one of Chile travelled to Europe conscious that will be one of the hardest exits in which goes of the year. It will participate in the Master Series of Rome and Hamburg, then will seek the tricampeonato in Düsseldorf for subsequently play Roland Garros." Is the most important tour, by the time, the quantity and the prominent thing that are the tournaments that am going to dispute. But I am happy and very motivated to play possible the best and I hope to gain some of them", assures an animated one Fernando González hours before leave.

*¿Your objective is to defend points, to gain a tournament, the tricampeonato in Düsseldorf or to prepare you to give the surprise in Roland Garros?

*The time teaches you that each tournament is important and one must treat to yield al maximum, because one never what knows is going to happen later. Besides, they are championships that have played well in other years and that obviously I expect to gain or to arrive as up as possible.

*¿What teaching left you to play with Roger Federer in Montecarlo?

*I realized that al number one also costs him to close the parties. That helped me enough for my confidence and to be able to comply a second one set very concentrated. Besides it remained myself clear that each time I am more near fighting somewhat large and to reach al better than the world. In the measure in which he can face to rival as Federer, my performance will go improving.

*Before Roland Garros you should play for Chile in Düsseldorf in the search of the tricampeonato world..

*This year perhaps will be a little different. The two previous years I required me al maximum, I played eight parties when we gain for the first time and last year I played six. Now we go with four players instead of three exactly to distribute us a little more the encounters, because in reality was very desgastante, especially last year, when dragged an injury in the elbow.

*But you have clear that you and Massú they define the points..

*With the Nico charms us to play for Chile, motivates us a lot, so much in Cup Davis as in the Cup of the World, but we are going to ration because I finished very exhausted after the other two championships.

*To all this, ¿as is your relation with Nicolas Massú? Continue so friends?

*Yes, clear. It is with the one that more I share in the circuit and in Chile. We remain in the same hotel, we are going to eat together, the side rooms of the tournaments are the same and even we play the double of the large tournaments. In fact, we are going to play double in Rome and in Hamburg and we have to join us to define which will they be the other two players that go to Düsseldorf.

Rivers and the Cup Davis

*¿You cause causes common in them said from Of the Rock when says to be felt handled for all the matter of the nationality and the headquarters of Cup Davis?

*Horacio is a contribute. What worse than can pass is that all continue equal, and the best is that he deliver all his experience and his work by our tennis.

*Marcelo Rios said in a program of television that when he declared his disposition to be a captain of the team of Cup Davis did not feel your support neither of Massú and now already finally he is not in his plans to be sat down on the chair..

*There is people with more experience than has not had the Cup captain to be opportunity Davis. El Chino withdrew does less than one year and to be a captain is not only to be seated on the chair, but to coach to all the players and to be worried of all the details. Perhaps Marcello it can be a candidate to future.

*¿The fact that Rios he have opted by an up to now far away life of the tennis as daily activity, he has moved away him of tí and of Massú?

*Never I have been very friend of el Chino, there is not evil wave, but we do not have many things in common..

*¿What seems you that have itself married with Kenita Larraín?

*Good for him. I informed me by the newspapers. Al principle did not believe, but thus was..

*¿And you, Fernando, you have not thought about marrying?

*Yes. At the end of the year I will marry.....but I do not know with who..

*¿In Serious?

*Ha, ha, ha, ... not, is a joke. The truth is that I am single.

*¿Ah, yes? For how long are you alone?

*It does as two or three months, but I am not going to enter in details.

¿What do you think on the election of executive of the Confederacy of Tennis?

*Is a pity that go Andrés (Fazio), he arrived when was the broom in the Confederacy. But I understand its motives. On the candidates do not I have greater opinion, only I expect that the things be done well.

"I want to see the Red one in Germany"

On the exit of Elms and the arrival of Goes to bed, González as swells of the soccer and colocolino that "it more serious was that Elms finished its process. It is a pity that lacking so few dates to finish the eliminatorias change a coach of a day for another".

*¿What seems you Nelson Acosta?

*Is a good technician. He has merits to spare. I hope he can do something and he classify us again.

*¿If Chile arrives al World, you are going to go to see some party?

*I am going to put all the pledge in going, because really I want to see a party of Chile in Germany. In fact, is played in an epoch after Roland Garros, so I will try to do me the time to see to play the Red one in the World one.

#13 ·
For those who understand Spanish, here's a very interesting interview which shows that Fernando is a great man inside. He was interviewed by a child.

http://www.anp.cl/p4_noticias/site/artic/20040303/pags/20040303133258.html

Concurso de Lectores Infantiles
Me encantaría ser número uno".
Ignacio Ortíz, segundo lugar, entrevistó a Fernando González.

Este joven tenista piensa que la salud es mucho más importante que el dinero, y que el apoyo de su familia ha sido fundamental en el éxito de su profesión.

¿Crees que el apoyo de tu familia ha sido fundamental en tu carrera?
Más que fundamental, ha sido super importante. Creo que si tu familia no te apoya en esta profesión es casi imposible llegar a ser bueno.

¿Cuál fue tu primer partido de tenis ..y a qué edad?
Yo empecé a jugar un poco antes de los cinco años. Me acuerdo que jugué mi primer campeonato a los seis años y me ganaron fácil.... Incluso al que me ganó, todavía lo veo de repente.

Cuándo ganas un partido, ¿qué es lo primero que piensas?
No es que piense en algo concreto...depende del partido. Hay partidos que son más importantes que otros, uno está más nervioso... Pero cada vez que gano, es algo rico, la sensación es muy difícil de explicar.

¿Crees en Dios?
Si.. No soy de los que van a misa todos los domingos. Hice mi primera comunión. No puedo decir que soy el más fiel seguidor, pero sí creo.

¿Qué importancia tiene en tu vida el dinero?
Es cierto que el dinero, lamentablemente, te saca de problemas y en ese sentido es importante. Obviamente si tienes sueños, a veces te permite cumplirlos, puedes tener una casa... Pero , sin duda, hay cosas mucho más importantes como la salud. Sin salud no hay dinero que te salve, y sin el amor de tu familia tampoco.

¿Donarías toda la fortuna que has acumulado gracias al tenis, para paliar, en parte, el hambre de los niños del mundo?
Me encanta ayudar y muchas veces, obviamente, el dinero ayuda. De repente gente que no tiene dinero puede apoyar de otra manera. Pero mientras yo pueda y tenga tiempo, voy a ayudar.

Cuando ya seas el Número Uno del mundo, ¿qué harás?
Me encantaría primero llegar a serlo. Estoy trabajando cada día para eso.... Sería coronar una carrera difícil, y cuando uno es dos del mundo quiere ser uno. Cuando eres diez quieres ser nueve y si eres uno querrías serlo para siempre.

¿Qué prefieres, matrimonio o convivencia?
A ver, creo que todavía no estoy en edad para eso. ...Depende de las personas... creo que hoy en día sería mejor convivir un tiempo antes de casarse, ...a mi me encantaría conocer bien a la persona con que me voy a casar, pero en esto creo que las mujeres mandan.

¿Qué opinas de las drogas y qué consejo les darías a los jóvenes para alejarse de ellas?
Creo que el tema de la droga es una lata. Cada vez hay más gente adicta y todos sabemos que la droga no te lleva a nada. La droga te mata o te va haciendo perder cosas muy importantes en la vida. El consejo que daría es quizás no tanto a los jóvenes, porque a esa edad ellos no saben, sino más bien a los papás, que traten, por ejemplo, de incentivar el deporte en sus hijos, que creo te ayuda mucho.

¿Si yo te invito a mi Escuela, me enseñarías a jugar tenis?
Si tengo el tiempo, con todo gusto.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Here is another interview for those who understand spanish is an interview with Horacio de la Peña.

De la Peña: "Fernando está para hacer grandes cosas este año"​

El técnico del número uno nacional reiteró su confianza en el gran nivel que está mostrando su pupilo, quien este lunes buscará su paso a cuartos de final de Wimbledon.​

El triunfo de Fernando González (24º de la ATP) sobre el sueco Joachim Johansson (10º) para instalarse en octavos de final de Wimbledon no sólo llenó de elogios al número uno de Chile, sino que además incrementó la confianza de su técnico Horacio de la Peña en que 2005 puede ser el año de la consolidación definitiva entre los grandes.

En diálogo con Al Aire Libre en Cooperativa, el coach argentino alabó el gran desempeño que González ha mostrado sobre el césped londinense, y reiteró que su nivel da para seguir esperando resultados positivos.

"En algún momento va a tener la suerte de que esas pelotitas que se estaban yendo dos o tres centímetros entren y las cosas se vengan para nuestro lado, y ojalá Wimbledon sea el lugar. Pero Fernando está para hacer grandes cosas este año, y lo está demostrando con el nivel de tenis que está jugando", aseguró De la Peña.

"Yo lo dije cuando estábamos abajo, y no ganando. Cuando las cosas no salían bien yo dije que Fernando está jugando un gran tenis. Está muy fuerte, bajó mucho de peso, está mucho más rápido y aguantando más, está sacando mejor y mejoró mucho su revés y su volea, y en algún momento esto le tenía que pagar", agregó.

El ex jefe técnico del equipo chileno de Copa Davis destacó el triunfo por 6-4, 6-4 y 6-2 de este viernes ante Joachim Johansson, en especial porque se dio ante uno de los mejores sacadores del circuito.

"Teníamos mucho respeto por este jugador. Es número 10 del mundo, le hizo 51 aces a (Andre) Agassi en Australia, así que estamos hablando de un tipo que saca en serio, y desde el primer game lo dominó y le puso una garra increíble", indicó De la Peña, quien explicó que la victoria pasó por el buen análisis previo que ambos hicieron de su oponente.

"Estudiamos muy bien el patrón de saque que tenía. Cada vez que tuvo break point, Fernando fue a buscar el saque correcto porque lo teníamos muy estudiado, y eso en pasto hace mucha diferencia", sostuvo.
El optimismo de Horacio de la Peña lo hace albergar esperanzas de seguir avanzando en el tercer Grand Slam de la temporada, pese a que el césped no es la superficie favorita del tenista de La Reina.

"Fernando hace dos semanas que está acá en pasto, esta va a ser la tercera, y eso te da una diferencia muy grande sobre los que no lo hicieron. La clase de tenis que se juega acá, que es muy explosiva y corta, beneficia lo que más tiene Fernando, que es fuerza y explosión; además, él está sacando como nunca", indicó.

A la espera de que este sábado se complete el duelo en que el ruso Mikhail Youzhny (34º) derrota por 7-5, 6-3, 3-6 y 4-4 al sueco Jonas Bjorkman (97º), que no alcanzó a terminar este viernes producto de la lluvia, el coach argentino se inclinó por el helvético como rival de su pupilo.

"A Bjorkman, primero porque tiene 32 años, juega singles, dobles mixtos... Youzhny es un jugador que ya Fernando le ganó y que tiene esa ventaja, pero igual yo lo respeto mucho, y para un partido a cinco sets prefiero a Bjorkman", declaró. (Cooperativa.cl)

#15 ·
Here’s Fernando’s interview from the Wimbledon site:

F. Gonzalez - Day 7
Monday, June 27, 2005

Q. Can you explain the success of a lot of the players that are traditionally doing better on clay. We have Lopez in the quarterfinals, you in the quarterfinals ‑ first time since '85 from Chile ‑ we have two Argentines in the Round of 16. What's happening?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Yeah, maybe the court is little bit slower than 20 years ago.

But the tour makes you play everywhere because you have to play some tournaments in indoors, you have to play some tournaments on clay, on hard court. You have to play everywhere.

For me, this was the first time that I did a good preparation, I mean a real preparation. I played Queen's, I played exhibition tournament last week. And every time that I come to Wimbledon, I come three days before. Last year I come five or six days, but it's not enough time.

Q. So you're taking it more seriously, the grass court season, than before?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Yeah, because I never think that I can play good on grass. And this year, I say, Okay, everything that I do is for free on the grass (smiling).

So it's my best tournament of the year, so I'm really happy. I'm really surprised about this.

Q. You're not practicing more on grass in the year, right?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: No. I mean, I just come after the French, play Queen's. Still playing, practicing on grass only few weeks a year.

Q. Previously, after the French, you would play a clay court tournament?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: No, I would take a rest because I play too many weeks in a row. Then I come to London maybe three or five days before the tournament start, but is not enough time.

Q. Just one more about aces. I see you were second in the tournament for aces coming into the fourth round.

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: What do you mean?

Q. The number of aces you hit is second coming into the fourth round.

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Oh, really, after Roddick?

Q. After Mirnyi, after Max Mirnyi. Do you think this is an important statistic for success on grass?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Absolutely. I mean, if I serve good, I can go to the game of return, I go relax, because I know that I'm not gonna lose my serve. So I can play and try to go for it, for each shot, you know.

Q. But is it more important, aces, than first serve percentage or...

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Yeah, I mean, I think it's more important to ‑‑ maybe. I mean, to win a lot of free points, it's very important. Because sometimes, some days, the other day against Johansson I won I think maybe two or three points per game, free points, you know. And that's ‑‑ I mean, it's easy playing like that.

Q. Are you serving as well as you've served?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Every day I serve much better than I used to do it. Today I didn't serve so good, but I won the match and I was feeling really good on the grass, so...

Q. Do you like the grass courts? Because they're quite fast, they should suit your fast game.

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Well, not really much. But I enjoy to play because it's Wimbledon and you only play maybe two weeks in a year. But after this result, I will enjoy more every time.

Q. Is there any grass courts in your home country?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: No. Synthetic grass. Sometimes I practice on the football (smiling). They put a net, and I practice on the synthetic grass.

Q. In the football stadium?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Yeah ‑‑ no, I mean on synthetic grass.

Q. But in a stadium?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: No, not in a stadium. Any place. I play football with my friends, and then I practice (smiling).

Q. How do you like the prospect of maybe facing Federer in the next round?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Interesting match. I would love to play at this stadium, I never play. I'm already in quarterfinals and I haven't played there.

I never beat him, but last two times it was close matches. It was on clay. Here will be different.

But let's see. I mean, I am playing good, and Federer have to win his match. He have a tough match now.

Q. What kind of difference do you think it makes playing on grass as opposed to clay as it was in Roland Garros?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: I mean, you win more free points. Maybe the points are much shorter. My slice is a real whip on here, not on clay. Is only to defend sometimes. But here, you can use it.

Q. Does it mean something special to you to be the first person from Chile to be here in the quarterfinals since '85?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Yeah, 20 years ago. I talked the other day with Ricardo Acuna. Once every 20 year maybe. I hope that we don't have to wait 20 more years to have another one in the quarters.

But I still in the tournament, so I'm happy. I'm going to try my best.

Q. I think you're the only one that has not lost a set in the quarterfinals. It's pretty surprising, no?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: It is (smiling). But the most important thing is to win the match. I mean, it doesn't matter if it's 10‑8 in the fifth or straight sets. I mean, for me, is just a detail.

And another article in Spanish with lots of quotes of Fernando:

Fernando González: "Dependo más de mí que de mi rival"

El número uno de Chile sabe que en cuartos de final de Wimbledon tendrá un complicado duelo ante el suizo Roger Federer, pero confía en su tenis para buscar un triunfo.

Luego de conseguir un histórico paso a los cuartos de final de Wimbledon tras vencer por 7-6 (3), 7-6 (5) y 6-3 al ruso Mikhail Youzhny (34º), el tenista chileno Fernando González (21º) se declaró confiado en que puede buscar un inédito paso a semifinales ante el suizo Roger Federer (1º).

Sin conocer aún el resultado del duelo en que Federer batió por 6-3, 6-4 y 7-6 (6) al español Juan Carlos Ferrero (31º), el número uno nacional se refirió a su próximo desafío.

"Los dos son muy buenos jugadores. Juan Carlos obviamente sería mejor para mí, porque (el césped) no es su mejor superficie. En cambio, para Federer es lo que más le acomoda. Pero hay que estar tranquilo porque afortunadamente, dependo más de mí que de mi rival", aseguró.

El pupilo de Horacio de la Peña no quiere plantearse aún la posibilidad de pelear por el título del tercer Grand Slam de la temporada, pero está seguro que tiene el nivel necesario para dar la gran sorpresa en la "Catedral" del tenis.

"Todo es posible, sería un sueño para mí, pero hay que ir tranquilo. Me espera un partido bastante duro, pero hay que ir paso a paso, aunque estoy dispuesto a ganarlo", aseveró.

"Me siento muy contento, he jugado un gran tenis, con mucha confianza, pero ha sido un partido duro", comentó tras la victoria ante Youzhny, a quien superó por segunda vez en su carrera.

Fernando González sabe que con el triunfo de este lunes se convirtió en el primer chileno que se mete en cuartos de Wimbledon desde 1985, cuando lo hizo Ricardo Acuña para repetir el logro que Luis Ayala había conseguido en 1959 y 1961, pero prefiere no darle importancia.

"La historia está en los museos. Lo más importante es ganar los partidos, y para mí esto es sólo un dato", manifestó.

Consultado sobre las expectativas que se generan a medida que va avanzando, González prefirió "sacudirse" y centrarse solamente en lo que pasa en la cancha.

"Presión siempre hay, uno se la pone porque quiere ganar y seguir avanzando, pero lo más importante es disfrutar del juego", apuntó. (EFE)

#16 ·
Gonzalez Raises Chile's Profile Again
[From Wimbledon website]

Tuesday, 28 June, 2005

The last time a Chilean made it to the quarter-finals at Wimbledon, Mikhail Gorbachev was the leader of Soviet Russia, Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie had just won the Grammy for the best song of the year, "We are the World", and the United States under Ronald Reagan had become a debtor nation for the first time since 1914.

It was 1985 and a young man from Santiago by the name of Ricardo Acuna had raised the hopes of the South American nation. He made history by reaching the quarter-finals at Wimbledon only to lose in straight sets to Jimmy Connors. Acuna was never able to repeat that feat, nor have any of his countrymen before this year. Chileans stopped expecting from their tennis stars and Acuna's career-best performance became a fading memory.

But on Monday, 20 years after Acuna's quarter-final appearance at Wimbledon, another Chilean, Fernando Gonzalez, matched that feat and became the new hero of the nation.

"I am happy and I hope we don't have to wait for another 20 years," Gonzalez said after knocking out Russia's Mikhail Youzhny in straight sets to earn himself that quarter-final berth. The No.21 seed is in fine form at this year's Championships and has yet to drop a set. That may change in his quarter-final encounter where his opponent is the mighty top seed and defending champion, Roger Federer.

Realistically, Gonzalez's chances are slim but then tennis is a game that can turn around unpredictably. Moreover, given Gonzalez's track record in the past couple of years, he should at least be able to put up a gritty fight.

The 24-year-old reached the US Open quarter-finals in 2002 and was also a quarter-finalist at the French Open the following year. At the Athens Olympics last year, Gonzalez won gold in the doubles with Nicolas Massu along with a bronze in the singles. The Chilean has already bettered his Wimbledon record this year. His previous best achievement was reaching the third round last year.

"This is my best tournament so far," Gonzalez said of Wimbledon. "I am enjoying it. Federer will have to win his match but he will not have it easy. I will give him a tough match."

The Chilean's confidence is noteworthy especially given the fact that his first love is for clay courts and there are no real grass courts in his home country. He admits to having a little practice on synthetic grass used for football matches.

Written by Sajid Shaikh

#17 ·
This morning, i bought the French sport newspaper "l'équipe" and there was a tiny paragraph about Fernando. They said that Fernando did better than Rios, he is the first Chilean to arrive so far in this tournament. He's the only player who won his matches in 3 sets and interesting thing (according to the newspaper), he only served and came to the net once. So, they wonder if he can have the same tactic against Roger. We'll see....

Val :)

#18 · (Edited)
This article is from the ATP Tennis website (spanish)

Fernando Gonzalez's tour in London

Fernando González was traveling through London on Monday, accompanied by a team of the BBC in the prior of its encounter with Roger Federer. The Chilean tennis player was accompanied by his coach, the former Argentine tennis player Horacio de la Peña and his physical coach, Carlos Burgos. "I Always it wanted to have a time to know the cities where I am playing and London is a great city. It is a great way to know the city. I have enjoyed a lot my state here, because besides I have played in a great level. I expect to be able to continue with this, although I will face the best player of the moment, Roger Federer, in the next match. It will be really incredible to be able to conquer it and the truth is that I do not have anything to lose against him".
Gonzalez also was in classical places of the English capital and traveled through in a car the immediacies of the Big Ben and the headquarters of the Parliament.

You can see this article in Gonzalez Tour in London

Attachments

#22 ·
Thanks for the translation Gonzofan I saw the piece on the ATP site but can't read spanish.

#23 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot for the interesting article and great pics, he looks great :)

And do U think we can see the video somewhere on the BBC website ?

Talking about videos, have you seen the one after the Olympics on the Chilean website ? It's about his carreer till the Olympics, it's a long video and very interesting.

Val

#24 ·
Here is an article from La Tercera (Internet Translation)

González is conscious that his own are the fast courts​

The Chilean returned yesterday (tuesday) to the training along with his coach, Horacio de la Peña, after a brief rest.

"Here I make more damage with my arms and they notice except my weak points", argued the first national racket, that will return to the Tour within 10 days in the match of Amersfoort, Holland.

The grass passed the account to Fernando González. The fact to have arrived in Wimbledon at quarterfinals in a little friendly surface produced indirect effect to him and their knees suffered with the wearing down. "It is necessary to bend down more of the normal thing and with the brakings the knees are hurt much", commented the Chilean, who in any case confirms that the medical controls that took place in the last days did not throw anything of care.

And thus, already with the filed memory of its better performance in the English grass, the first national racket returned to the training in its natural surface, the clay, along with his coach Horacio de la Peña, in the Club Park Tennis of Las Condes.

It was a brief training of González, that came from a pair of days of rest and that a little to their grief will have to return to the courts within 10 days in Amersfoort (Holland) and later Kitzbühel (Austria).

"I never thought that it would have that yield about Wimbledon and the ideal had been to jump to North America and not to return immediately to the clay. But I was already written down in those tournaments and to where I go, I make it to win ", commented the "Bomber of La Reina", conscious that its yield improvement of obvious way on fast courts. Without going further, this year the only title gained it in cement (Auckland) and obtained the best result in the English Grand Slam.

"That is a fact. What happens is that my arms (serve and forehand (right)) make more damage in fast courts. And on the other hand my weak points, like my backhand, notice less ", commented González, that during the second semester does not have much points to defend. His maximum defenses must face them in Amersfoort (120 points, final) and in Cincinnati (15 of August), where it will have to add what he won last year through the semifinals in the Olympic Games of Athens (205 points). "To me I would like to defend every week, because that means that I have walked well, but, there are no great defenses in the second semester and that allows to think that I can finish above in the ranking, hopefully between the 10 first", says the santiaguino.

After two clay matches, González will jump to North America. The Chilean will play the Masters Series of Montreal, Cincinnati, in addition to New Heaven and the U.S. Open. This is the great bet of the second semester, since in addition it does not defend points.

You can see this article in La Tecera (is in spanish)

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
Here is another article from La Tercera (internet translation)

González faces the rest of the season without worrying much about the numbers​

After days of rest, Fernando González retook his tennis work. Preparing game to Amersfoort, to the "Bomber of La Reina" does not worry much to him that, in which reduces of the year, it must defend few points. Perhaps if only that it is questioned a little is to start off for Europe to play two weeks on clay, knowing that soon it must go to North America to compete in fast courts. Clear that their doubts arose only from the good yield reached in the British Open. Perhaps "Of to have known that it was going to walk so well in Wimbledon, it could have chosen to tournaments in cement field", reflects number one of Chile.

The training under the orders of Horacio de la Peña was intense. Neither González nor Paul Capdeville, their new fellow worker, had breathings. Everything to arrive well at which comes.

"It is necessary to return to feel well in the clay. But we are customary to adapt us fast to the changes of surface ", says.

So far, the option does not worry to him to put in top ten, knowing that it has little to lose during the semester. "After Athens, the last year I did little more. But more than certain ranking, it worries to me to feel to me well playing, and I am enjoying it. From that, the numbers arrive by themselves". More in a year than he has been even, with good results. "To walk well in Wimbledon, in addition, gives confidence for the future ", summarizes González, conscious that the rest of the year could imply a great harvest for him.

Gonzalez is very optimistic respect to its calendar in the second semester, because it defends few points.​

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.