Mens Tennis Forums banner

Vasek Pospisil

268K views 3K replies 111 participants last post by  Brad1973 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Vasek Pospisil - Thoughts from Rimouski 03/13/2011 - 6:42pm

Hi Everyone,

Well, here it is, my first official blog. This will definitely be one of the best ones ever written so I suggest you get some popcorn and enjoy this masterpiece.

I am sitting in the car with Fred Niemeyer on our way to Rimouski for a Challenger. I wouldn't even call it a car actually; today its more of a plane because we're running a bit late. We're supposed to pick up Peter (Polansky) from the Quebec City airport along the way. It's normally about a 7 hour drive from Sherbrooke (where I played my last tournament) to Rimouski but at the rate we keep filling up our gas tank, we might be there in 4 or 5. We're definitely burning some fuel right now. Fred could start his own Airline if his in-flight services make some improvements.

Along the way, we had to stop at an electronic store to get an iCable because theres no chance I would be able to sit this many hours in a car with no music from my ipod. And because my voice is so awesome and Fred loves it so much, I try to sing along to as many songs as i can ;).

Anyways, I met some cute girls in Sherbrooke that I feel I should share with you. One in particular but I cant say her name. I've actually known her for a few years now but that's all the info you get! She's a cutie :)

In general I find the girls are very good looking in eastern Canada. There are some good ones in the west too, dont get me wrong, but the overall percentage of good looking girls seems to be higher in the East. (If you're a good looking girl in Vancouver and just read this, I take it back. Add me on facebook!)

I will go to the club later today to see the physio to get some treatment on my ankle and my butt cheeks because Olivia (Fred's 2 1/2 year old daughter) kept slapping my butt and running away last week and its a bit sore. To make things worse, all Fred and Annie (Fred's girlfriend) did was laugh about it. Apparently its a game that play at home, which I do not approve of! :)

I just realized that this may not only be the best blog ever written but quite possible the longest too; and since the combination of the speed, the music, and the typing is making me nauseous, I think it's a good time to wrap things up here.

I will probably play my first match on Tuesday so wish me luck!

If you have any questions or comments please leave them below :)

Thanks for reading, everyone!

Vasek (Vashy)

P.S. Just realized it's actually not that long of a blog; its actually pretty short but I promise my next one will be longer :p.

Vasek Pospisil - "Posway" 03/21/2011 - 12:38pm

Hi Everyone,

Following the success of my first blog and appearances on Leno and CNN, I'll make sure this one is just as entertaining. If it's not, at least it's longer than the first one so hopefully I get some bonus points for effort. I'm more nervous writing blogs now then I am playing matches. I don't really know what that means, but I'll try not to overanalyze it.

Once again this blog comes to you from the passenger, or co-pilot, seat of the FredExpress. This time though, we are heading back to Montreal from Rimouski. The FredExpress is not disappointing right now and we are breaking records as we approach Montreal. I think my last blog must have encouraged the driver. I have to remind him sometimes that we're not actually in a Formula 1 race and that the people in front of us are not trying to intentionally slow us down or block us.

We knew after I released my first blog that the police would be onto us so we left a day early to prevent an ambush. Oh, how cunning we are! :)

I'm the only DJ in the car today (Polansky finally left to Miami, good riddance. I joke, you are missed bud). As soon as I found out Fred likes his oldies, it had to be 70s and 80's disco music!! Final Countdown on repeat, definitely the way to go! Fred looks a bit too happy right now though so I think I'll change the song. He has that crazy rock 'n' roll look in his eye.

We had a pit stop a while ago at a gas station and I got one of those blue-coloured no name slushies. I think it’s one of those that has so much sugar and tastes so bad that it's forbidden to be called anything. There was more sugar in there than ice. I was about to fall asleep, but literally one sip later, I was pulling off some disco dance moves to the blasting 70s music in the car while Fred pretended not to be impressed.

I promised that I wouldn’t talk about him too much in my blog this time, but he'll soon realize, after he reads this, that I lied :). I have all the power here Fred… Muhahaha!

He is so intense when I play my matches that I sometimes worry he will have a heart attack or pass out during one of them. He might even lose a few teeth from biting so hard when he does his fist pump (after every point I win) but I'm sure he has a good dental plan. I lost in the semis on Saturday, but it may have indirectly saved his life because I don’t think he would have survived another match. He's almost as intense during my matches as he is when the Habs are playing. That's when it's safest to keep your distance until the Habs finally lose, as always. And then it's trash talking time :). Go Canucks!

I had subway for lunch again today. People who know me know that I could eat Subway everyday for lunch and dinner, and sadly, some weeks of the year, I do. Not only do I eat at Subway everyday when I'm at a tournament, I get the same sub too. Before a match I take a footlong grilled chicken breast and my post-match or "day off" sub is the Italian BMT :). Currently, I'm riding on a twelve day Subway streak and I like my chances of hitting the two week mark in a few days. The only thing that might stop me is Panda Express (no, not another airline, chinese food). I honestly think that I'm the only reason Subway didn't go bankrupt during the economic crisis, and you'd have trouble convincing me otherwise. “Posway” is what it should really be called now.

I have to say though, staying on the Subway topic, that as much as I eat there, very few subway employees ever get my sub just the way I like it. There are always either too many onions, not enough southwest sauce (there can never be enough southwest sauce), or not enough lettuce. And I've gone to Subway so many times that I know exactly what the employee will do before they do it. Judging by the person’s sex, weight, or personality, I can tell you exactly which of the three mistakes they will make with my sub.

Well, now that we're done talking about Subway and coach Fred, I'm sort of hitting a wall here. You know you're struggling with ideas when you're looking at random words on billboards for blogging material. I think this blog is long enough so I'll call it a day and watch for police ahead. You know, help out a bit.

Nothing on girls this week. Sorry fellas, maybe next week.

Vashy

Pospisil: I'm a big kid now! 04/19/2011 - 11:33am

Hey Everyone,

I realize that my last entry was almost a month ago but I promise you there is a reason for everything. Apart from the obvious one of not wanting to spoil you, I also realize that there are jobs on the line here so maybe I am trying to slow down a bit and not be so awesome. Also, you know you have to change something when people come up to congratulate you on your blog entries rather than the 3 ½ hour match you just won in 35C heat with full body cramps (not actually, but trying to make a point here!). After all, I am a tennis player and not a world class writer who secretly wants a job at Tennis Canada (any offers guys? because I'll consider).

Well I just finished a stretch of three tournaments and I'm now in Florida enjoying my day off and writing this blog and watching the news simultaneously, which isn't easy to do but luckily I'm a great multitasker. One time, I was texting, driving, and sleeping at the same time. Now that is not easy to do! I know texting while driving is bad, but somehow it feels right when you sleep as you do it.

I was on the road for two weeks without my coach (I'm, A, Big, Kid, Now!) but he joined me last week in Tallahassee so it was great to have him back. Poor guy had to get a new passport and change his name to get a rental car. Honestly, everyone from the tournament director to the guy asking for change by the Subway knew about Fred's driving. I have no idea how they could possibly know yet he keeps insisting that it is somehow my fault. Something to do with my last blogs or something but I wasn't really paying attention; and I definitely don't remember writing anything about his driving in any of my last blogs.

I was also in Oklahoma and Arkansas during the last couple weeks and I definitely had some interesting experiences! Everytime I told someone that I was Canadian there would be some kind of a strange reaction. They would either just stare in amazement or burst out laughing. Both of which made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I seemed to be somewhat of a tourist attraction in those parts and several people came out to watch "the Canadian". "Theres a Canadian here? Amazing! How did he get here, by Camel?". For y'all information, we got planes and trains and bikes and cars and everythin' up in ol' Canada.

I have heard some good things about Rebecca Marino's blogs so I went to take a look but didn't really see any. Haha just kidding, great blogs! Why shouldn’t they be? She is, after all, from Vancouver and it’s a known fact that Vancouverites are just awesomer (yeah, I just used that word and there's nothing you can do about it) than the rest. I mean let’s be honest here, Vancouver is the best city in Canada and possibly, the world (unless you consider Europe a part of the world. In that case we're far from it). Think about it; we have the best hockey team, tastiest sushi (thank you Japan), amazing summers, and best looking Pospisils.

Since I'm hitting another wall here I think I'll start talking about food again and let you all know that I just destroyed four Cadbury Cream Eggs (I know I shouldn't be eating sweets but give me a break, it’s my day off!). I mean, I probably ate them all in less than 2 minutes. Those things didn't stand a chance from the moment I laid eyes on them. When Easter passes and the cream egg vanishes from stores, there is a high chance I will go into a depression. I think the most reasonable thing to do is go to Walmart and buy them in bulk tomorrow to avoid that. Pretty random, I know, but it's not like my blogs have any structure whatsoever. I had to share my thoughts on the cream egg with someone right now and who better to share it with than you, the 5 or 6 people that will actually read my blog. :)

Alright everyone, I'm really tired so it's time for me sing a lullaby and put myself to sleep.

Goodnight :)

Vashy

#5 ·
Vasek Pospisil: "Objective Top-100 in two years .." October 15, 2009

(via GoogleT) After the last chapter of Scofield's Corner, where Fabio Colangelo focused on the players and the Canadian federation, we publish an interesting interview with Vasek Posispil, nineteen of Vernon, winner of two consecutive futures on the Italian cement ATP and currently number 440. Pospisil, along with Raonic, represents the present and the future of Canadian tennis movement. Come to learn more about the giant (193 cm) Canadian ..

Interview with Alessandro Nizegorodcew

Vasek Then, we start from the beginning and your story. How did you get to the tennis?
"I started playing tennis at age 5 in Vernon, the home town to me. My father and my older brother taught me to play. My father was my first coach then and still is today. "

Tell us about your first experience at a competitive level and the approach to professional tennis ..
"I almost immediately started playing tournaments at the age of 6 years. A level under 12 have been among the top 5 players in the world. Unfortunately the following year, at age 13, I got injured knee and back. I was stopped almost two years. The Canadian federation I've always been very close, although for almost two years I had not touched the racquet, I must say that even more have helped me over the past two years, supported in every way. "

What is your style of play?
"My tennis is aggressive. I try to keep the reins in his hand and exchange as soon as I try to close the point at the net. I rely a lot on the traditional pattern service and right, while I still have to work hard on the backhand, a shot on which I am still not sure. I am inspired by the greatest of all. Roger Federer is absolutely amazing .. "

In Italy you have won two consecutive futures on the concrete, in Alghero and Quartu Sant Elena. what can you say about these two fantastic weeks?
"It was definitely my best tournament of the year. Among other things I really love Italy and the tournaments that are held there for you. I played very often in Italy during the junior tournaments. I really like people and I love pizza! "

What is your opinion on the first part of your season?
"I came firmly into the world of professional tennis. I'm improving day by day. In addition to two victories in Italy, I won a final and two semi-finals in the U.S. futures in Canada and Mexico. "

What are the goals for 2010?
"The goal for the end of 2010 is certainly the one to enter the top 300 of the world. The idea would be to achieve top-100 in two years and then possibly the top-10. It would be really great .. "

Thanks Vasek and good luck ..
"Thank you, I hope to return soon to play in Italy. Greetings to all readers .. "

#6 ·
Tallahassee Chassis – Frameworks for Unqualified Day One Success

(Match report about Vasek's R2 in qualifying)

[...] But I didn’t get to watch that one because I was witnessing by far the longest (and probably the most dramatic) match of the day: 20 year-old Canadian Vasek Pospisil vs. 24-year-old Hungarian Denes Lukacs (of course – what else would it be?).

Heck, just the first game was longer and more dramatic than most matches: eleven deuces, almost thirty minutes, two line-call controversies, and six break points saved before Pospisil held for 1-0 in the first set. Amazing. Vasek was tres exasperated, thinking he should’ve gotten out of the game a lot earlier but had been jobbed by a call. He kept saying something about “3 a.m.” which I took to be his estimate of what time the match would end. Which didn’t seem like a bad guess at the time.

Nothing Is Impospisil

The match picked up the pace slightly from there (hard not to do), but both players seemed sluggish and not altogether scintillating on the now-searing surface at 1:30pm. Lukacs, who played for four years as a Baylor Bear (which might be a key reason that Mate Zsiga is slated to play ball in Waco as well, as both are Hungarian), missed a sitter of a forehand on break point in the fifth game, and Vasek stood for long amounts of time between points, hunched over, hands on knees.

Such a slog it was, that I wrote the following sentence atop my trusty reporter’s notebook: “Whoever wins this first set, wins the match.” It seemed impossible at the time that either guy would be able to rebound from a first set loss to take a final two sets – Lukacs had already played an earlier match, beating Britain’s Matthew Short 6-3 6-3, and Pospisil already seemed worse for wear six games into his day.

This seemed to make the seventh game particularly crucial, as the Canadian made three errors off the ground from 3-all 30-0, and Denes got the first break with an inside-in forehand winner. A tired-looking, melting Pospisil barely moved for some serves in the following game, as the Hungarian easily consolidated to 5-3.

But then: with the Hungarian serving for the set at 5-4 deuce, Pospisil ripped a crosscourt backhand pass that was substantially slowed by the net cord but still landed in; Lukacs could’ve made a play on it, but he had stopped playing the point, figuring Vasek’s shot had beaten him off the racquet. By the time he realized he was still in the point, he wasn’t any longer. He followed with a forehand over the baseline and we were back all square in the first set, five games apiece.

The Canadian, bakin’, held to love for 5-6, and the Hungarian nibbled his way into a tiebreak with a point here and a point there, and – once in the TB – the man behind only Benjamin Becker on Baylor’s all-time wins list came roaring back from 1-3* down to take the next six points. First set to Lukacs, 76(3).

But the second set was when it really got interesting. That 30-minute first game from the first set? Yeah, that was merely an appetizer for all the drama to come. The second set began innocently enough, with three straight holds, during which time Lukacs good-naturedly asked the ump if he could get some salt sent to court, in an attempt to stave off cramps. I could tell Denes was looking a little stiff-legged and rickety out there, and one got the sense that Vasek might be able to find his way through his wavering foe, a set down or no.

A trainer was then called to the court, and the Hungarian began to receive treatment on the change of ends. The stated reason was a “left quad” injury. Pospisil was none too pleased by this turn of events: “You’re not allowed to call for a trainer before the opponent serves, you know? You realize you just made a mistake, right?” he inquired of the ch/ump. The chair said there was a distinction to be made between taking a medical time out for cramping or for another injury sustained during the match.

Meanwhile, the trainer asked the chair to start the clock for a MTO, his initial examination complete. After his discussion with Vasek, the chair ump wandered over to the trainer at Lukacs’ chair. “Is this a changeover or a medical time out?” he asked. “I told you to start the clock,” said the trainer. “And I did,” the ch/ump responded. “Well, I wouldn’t have told you to start it if it weren’t a medical time out.”

What a mess. The trainer assured Vasek that the time out was not for cramping.

Unsurprisingly enough, Pospisil was broken to love in the game immediately after these exchanges, and Lukacs held to 4-1* in the second. “I got here at three in the morning for this!” Vasek yelled. And at this point, I was all but planning my escape, as I was starting to overheat and I wasn’t even doing anything.

Denes really did look on his last legs at this point, however, and sure enough handed Posipil the break back with a double fault on break point serving at 4-2. The Canadian held to 15 to tie up the second set at 4-all, as Lukacs gimpily wandered around the baseline between points, looking lost.

Two holds later, the tension ever increasing, the Hungarian began to go for broke, realizing this was his last stand and if he could end points early and rip a couple of winners, he might still eke out a victory, bad quad and all. Lukacs fought his way back to deuce from 5-all 0-40, but wasn’t able to string enough points together to put together another hold. Instead, Vasek dug in and finally broke on his 6th break point chance of the game, then served out a dicey, deucey game, serving two aces from down 0-30 and taking the second set 7-5 on a netted Lukacs backhand.

From there, it was all but academic, as the Hungarian was a beaten man, spent both physically and mentally. Pospisil cruised in the final frame, winning 6-7(3) 7-5 6-1 in a mere 2 hours and 55 minutes. All of which means: I was totally wrong about what I wrote on top of my notebook.

Afterwards, when I asked him about the “3 a.m.” mentions, Vasek told me he had gotten in really late the night before, and that he “was really frustrated. I powered through, somehow. It’s tough – you don’t always get it the way you want it. I hadn’t played in the heat in a while. It wasn’t a great day for me but I pulled through, so I was lucky to do that.”

When I told him the “Fred Express” should have gotten him in a bit faster than 3am (for those not in the know, Vasek writes hilarious blog entries for Tennis Canada in which the driving habits of his coach, Fred Niemeyer, are called into question). Vasek told me Freddie wasn’t actually there yet, but was coming in later and after that he “won’t be late” anymore. Get out of the way if you see him coming, Tallahassee drivers!

So that’s day one in the books for me. Stay tuned more more just-as-riveting tales from Day Two – coming soon to a monitor near you!

#7 ·
Wow, great thread! I think Vasek has a lot of potential. He is just a late bloomer, well, not late, but later than Milos.. but I think his game is finally starting to come together now. He'll only get better the more matches he plays. It's the right step to take though.. he couldn't play futures for much longer if he wanted to really move up the rankings. He should definitely focus on the challengers!

#26 ·
Awesome win! Who is he playing against today? Well.. hopefully he'll win that too :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.