Two ATP rivalries could flourish in 2014 - ESPN.com - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #31
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two ATP rivalries could flourish in 2014 - ESPN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
What it this? A full English for ants?

Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete
MichaelKrep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #32
country flag VamosRafaNadal

VamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond repute

Great article from ESPN. I have the feeling that they will meet somewhere in the 2014 season. The first rivalry will be between players that are aiming to qualify for the ATP World Tour Finals. This year Wawrinka improved the level of his game and evolved mentally as well, while Tsonga had problems with injuries and didn't find the rythm that he needed. Next year Tsonga will probably have a better season and then Wawrinka will need to defend his new position in the rankings. The second one is about two players that are aiming to end the year in the TOP20 of the ATP rankings. Both are expected to reach the TOP10 in the future, so they should have good runs in some ATP 250 or ATP 500 tournaments and maybe meet each other if we are lucky. It will be a very interesting and beautiful match.
FITD: #12 (Best: #9) | Runner-up: Cincinnati 2013
PAW: #11 (Best: #11) | Titles: Indian Wells 2013
Suicide Tennis: #3 (Best: #1) | Titles: Cincinnati 2013
Tennis Tipping - Singles: #10 (Best: #10) | Titles: ATP Houston 2014 | Final: US OPEN 2013, Arad CH 2013, Tampere CH 2013, Poitiers Fut 2014
Tennis Tipping - Doubles: #67 (Best: #67) Titles: ATP Nice 2014 (w/gak3) | Final: Dallas CH 2014 (w/orangehat), Binghamton CH 2013 (w/randy72391)
Rafael Nadal: The King of Clay. The Warrior. The Mental Giant.
Richard Gasquet: The most beautiful and talented backhand of the tour (after De Schepper).

De Schepper - Thiem - Giraldo - Cilic - Youzhny - Nishikori - Gulbis - Haas - Berlocq - Jaziri - Berankis - Fucsovics - McGee
VamosRafaNadal is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #33
country flag Federer-Fan

Federer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VamosRafaNadal View Post
Great article from ESPN. I have the feeling that they will meet somewhere in the 2014 season. The first rivalry will be between players that are aiming to qualify for the ATP World Tour Finals. This year Wawrinka improved the level of his game and evolved mentally as well, while Tsonga had problems with injuries and didn't find the rythm that he needed. Next year Tsonga will probably have a better season and then Wawrinka will need to defend his new position in the rankings. The second one is about two players that are aiming to end the year in the TOP20 of the ATP rankings. Both are expected to reach the TOP10 in the future, so they should have good runs in some ATP 250 or ATP 500 tournaments and maybe meet each other if we are lucky. It will be a very interesting and beautiful match.
Great post. You're totally right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten
He will never win another title above 500 level
This comment was made right after Federer's loss to Tsonga in Toronto final. One week later, Federer won Cincinnati Masters, beating in the final Chris Kuerten's favorite player for the 16th time in 16 meetings.
Federer-Fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #34
country flag Ivelina_P

Ivelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond reputeIvelina_P has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like the ESPN to be correct this time with the prediction.
I actually wanter the JJ-Grigor rivalry to come to real life with some matches between the two this year as their fans are very much partial on this forum

Washington = unofficial 5th Slam
http://ivelinacp.tumblr.com/image/55430905367
Mark Lenders = Gospel of Objective Unbiased Analysis
Topspindoctor = Pillar of MTF
Abel = GOAT
Ivelina_P is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #35
country flag InfoKenway

InfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond repute

Flourish

Sometimes Support:Wawrinka,Ferrer,Kohlschreiber,L.Mayer,Verdasco, Melzer,Gabashvili,Herbert,Thiem,Cuevas,Andrey Kuznetsov
I hate Robredo and Raonic
InfoKenway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #36
country flag zjtennis

zjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond repute

Well we learned that:

1. Tsonga hasn't been in Top 10 level this year while Stan got to Top 5. That being said, both won a Masters this year. Met only once and in DC and Stan won. I thought it was a nice match especially from 2nd Set.

2. Dimitrov has been doing a lot better than Janowicz. Top 10 and 3 titles this year. Janowicz only had 1 final this year and is floating around the Top 50. That being said JJ defeated Dimitrov in their only meeting this year. Interesting.
Congrats to Treat Huey for representing the Philippines in ATP Doubles!
--------------------------------------------------
The ATP World Tour 2014: The 61 - From Brisbane to London.
Conclusion: Djokovic is the new Wawrinka 2014. argument. Even Slam winners play Mario! 2014 ATP Top Players (in GIF form)!
zjtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #37
country flag Doktor Carpet

Doktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond repute

Well, didn't happened. Only one match in each possible rivalry.
Doktor Carpet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #38
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Carpet View Post
Well, didn't happened. Only one match in each possible rivalry.
was pretty obvious that it was a poor article from the get-go, almost as though ESPN was writing with hopefulness rather than serious realistic expectations. nothing at the end of 2013 pointed towards those rivalries heating up, when both Tsonga and Janowicz had mediocre seasons

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #39
country flag total_gamer1989

total_gamer1989 has a reputation beyond reputetotal_gamer1989 has a reputation beyond reputetotal_gamer1989 has a reputation beyond reputetotal_gamer1989 has a reputation beyond reputetotal_gamer1989 has a reputation beyond reputetotal_gamer1989 has a reputation beyond reputetotal_gamer1989 has a reputation beyond reputetotal_gamer1989 has a reputation beyond reputetotal_gamer1989 has a reputation beyond reputetotal_gamer1989 has a reputation beyond reputetotal_gamer1989 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd really like JJ to go far into the big tourneys and consistently be a top 10 player.
total_gamer1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #40
country flag eldanielfire

eldanielfire has a reputation beyond reputeeldanielfire has a reputation beyond reputeeldanielfire has a reputation beyond reputeeldanielfire has a reputation beyond reputeeldanielfire has a reputation beyond reputeeldanielfire has a reputation beyond reputeeldanielfire has a reputation beyond reputeeldanielfire has a reputation beyond reputeeldanielfire has a reputation beyond reputeeldanielfire has a reputation beyond reputeeldanielfire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
was pretty obvious that it was a poor article from the get-go, almost as though ESPN was writing with hopefulness rather than serious realistic expectations. nothing at the end of 2013 pointed towards those rivalries heating up, when both Tsonga and Janowicz had mediocre seasons
I think this is in part due to the media being bored of the current dominance of the top 4. They want fresh blood to write about. Same with the WTA. Once Murray won Wimbledon everything said about the top 4 was said. Now they need new stories and players to get excited about.
eldanielfire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #41
country flag SaFed2005

SaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny that the rivalry that somewhat flourished even more in 2014 was Djokovic and Federer. Some nice matches between the two, especially the Wimbledon final.
SaFed2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #42
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

I had to check the date ... this BS was from a year ago. I would love Tsonga to be back at his best but I don't know. Wawrinka vs. Federer could be the rivalry in 2015 with Mirka tension ... Jerzy ... we will see...

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote