Mens Tennis Forums banner

Andy Murray: The Future of Tennis!!!

87K views 1K replies 238 participants last post by  Lukasgigler 
#1 · (Edited)
Federer has started to decline, though he'll stick around a few more years and will win atleast 2 more slams.
Nadal's tendinitis has started to catch up to him, as his play style is very straining on his body, especially on hardcourts.
Nadal will burn out in 3 years max and Federer won't be anywhere near what he is atm in 3 years...

This leaves the domination of tennis up for grabs for a few players: Djokovic, Tsonga, Soderling, Berdych, Del potro, Murray, Cilic etc.
Players that have their best ahead of them and are still to reach their prime. Most big hitters with big serves.
Out of all these there are two that are top players, but I think only one will dominate the tour for years to come: Andy Murray.
He has already showed how good he can be, but he still hasn't reached his prime.
Murray still has a long way to come on clay, but is very comfortable on grass and hardcourt. He has 3 slams he could win, but I think he could be a threat for the RG title if he gets better on clay.
I think Murray is one of the heavy favourites for the hardcourt titles. I think he could get his first slam in 2011. Next year, both will be here, but it is unknown if Del Potro will get back to his best. I don't think so, so Murray will have one less player in the way. He can win it. Since Nadal isn't a threat to him on hard, and Federer isn't at his best anymore (though he's a still great and will win a few more slams), I think Murray will win the Oz Open. RG will be Nadal's again, Wimbledon will be Federer's, then back to hardcourt slams, which will be either Federer or Murray's.

This is the timeline of how I think the next few slam winners will be:

Australian Open: Andy Murray
Roland Garros: Rafael Nadal?
Wimbledon Championships: Roger Federer
United States Open: Andy Murray
Roland Garros: Rafael Nadal???
Wimbledon Championships: Roger Federer
Olympic Gold: Andy Murray
Roland Garros: Andy Murray
Wimbledon Championships: Andy Murray
????
??????

This is how I think the next few years will go in the slams, Murray dominating hardcourt with Federer sticking around winning some slams, Murray dominating grass and Nadal continuing to dominate clay. Nadal will win the next few Roland Garros titles, and I have no idea who will take over from him. Murray could win Roland Garros sometime if he plays well enough. Federer will win another two Wimbledon's and a few hardcourt slams.
The hardcourt masters will go to mostly Murray.
The claycourt masters will go to Nadal, obviously.

Now, Soderling could win a slam somewhere there I think, most likely on hardcourt in my opinion. And he could win an MS every now and then (Soderling won his first in Paris), but for a few years I think the dominating force of tennis (at least on hardcourt and grass) will be Murray. Of course a new player could come along and dominate just like Federer did, but it looks unlikely at the moment.

2013 will be Murray's peak year. He will have developed and improved greatly on clay and I see him winning all of the slams that year...that will be Murray's year.

Discuss...

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Murray and Del Potro: The Future of Tennis?

2010: UO: Murray
2011: AO: Murray
2011: RG: Nadal
2011 Wim: Federer
2011: UO: Del Potro
2012: AO: Murray
2012: RG: Nadal
2012: Wim: Federer
2012: UO: Murray
2013: AO: Del Potro
2013: RG: Del Potro
2013: Wim: Murray
2013: UO: Del Potro
2014????
wrong! you may hate Nadal, but you need to give him some credit!

Murray isnt ready for the USO! :sad:

next year murray can make a splash, but this year no!

#5 ·

think about it for a second and maybe you'll see the truth.
muzza is ready for a slam title, and will get one this year imo, delpo wants more.
if delpo becomes better on grass which i'm sure he will, he could get the calendar slam and maybe even win all 4 slams in a year.
murray still has a long way if he wants to win rg, which i'm very sure he won't win. del potro is just too good on clay and then there's still nadal.
both could win up to 7 slams each by the end of 2014, and i am very confident they will.
we are talking at 2 of the most talented players of our age. and they still haven't reached their peak.

#6 ·

murray is not going to win a slam imo and i also can't see federer winning another one. same goes to berdych and soderling.

del potro might win another slam but surely not 5 within 3 years.

nadal will win the most slams of all players in the next 2-3 years imo.

#8 ·

murray is not going to win a slam imo and i also can't see federer winning another one. same goes to berdych and soderling.

del potro might win another slam but surely not 5 within 3 years.

nadal will win the most slams of all players in the next 2-3 years imo.
If Federer recovers his interest in the game and fitness he is still as good as any player on tour. Nadal will dominate clay, but struggle on hard courts.

Djokovic is a potential winner although he struggles when he tries to diversify his game and use more variety.

Still not convinced by Del Potro, Soderling, Berdych etc.

Beyond Nadal and Federer, Murray is the best and most able with the most complete game of the rest.

#7 ·

and you think fed will won 2011 and 2012 Wimbledon( i dont think so he can sneak up 1 but not 2 unless nadal gets injured), murray is not the future of tennis he is in his prime now should have won gs by now he is not federer who matured late 3yrs from now maybe another player will be dominating, del potro let see about the effect of wrist injury(if he can recover on it and if he can recapture his game)

well since you put question mark on that its just your wish coz they are your favorite but one thing i will say a healthy nadal will win at least 2 slams next yr

#9 ·

Del potro will surely win much more than murray if he gets fit again.

#13 ·

Del potro will surely win much more than murray if he gets fit again.
Also like to see how Del Potro returns before I make predictions, although Murray did have Del Potro's number.

#12 ·

Murray might win 1 or 2 slams but he's not and has never been "the future of tennis". Power hitters like Berdych and Soderling can destroy him right now and I don't think Murray's gonna improve much more, why should he?
Del Potro might win another slam but his level isn't that much higher than Soderling's. Delpo and Murray are NEVER going to dominate the tour Jesusfed style. :shrug:

#15 ·
Fed will win a couple more slams and Nadal will win about 4 more slams.

Del Potro is the best of the rest, when healthy and without a doubt. He was good enough to beat Rafa and Fed back to back at a slam. So I see Del Potro winning a maximum of 6 slams if he stays healthy. Otherwise if he gets injured too often then maybe 4 slams maximum.

Murray and Nole might win a couple of slams at least.

Not sure if the likes of Cilic, Tsonga, Berdych, Isner and Soderling will ever win 1. Maybe. Maybe not.

#18 ·
Re: Murray and Del Potro: The Future of Tennis

injury or not fed is getting old he can sneak a slam if he has a favorable draw but if he will not have a good result on hardcourt this summer and fall, he will be out of top 5 by next yr espcially if he cant defend his Australian Open points, fed is a family man of 29yrs of age by nxt yr he will not get better, age will catch up with him and he has lots of priority now being a family man, he is not Serena williams who can turn on his games only in GS while not playing in some tournaments ATP is not WTA lots of his pigeons and turkey are getting revenge and this will continue as he drop rank more dfficult draw for him in a GS tournament

#19 ·

I wouldn't say the future but both will win a few slams with Del Potro winning a few more. Though others will win slams as well such as Nadal and Djokovic and perhaps even the likes of Soderling and Berdych could win some.

#22 · (Edited)

Predictions for every major through 2013...interesting. Of course, this could be a great bumped thread in a few years when he's dead on or when he's way off

Very dodgy to predict 3 years of slams much less theorizing so many coming primarily from a player who hasn't won any and from another whose main stroke is endangered by his current injury and has not yet returned.

And downplaying the current superstar in the bargain who finally seems to be managing himself more effectively (whom he picked to lose just a few weeks ago much less 3 years ago).

More like a wish-list than a prediction.

#23 ·

Mine

2010: UO: Djokovic
2011 Wim: Soderling
2011: UO: Soderling
2012: Wim: Berdych
2012: UO: del Potro
2013: AO: Djokovic
2013: RG: Djokovic
2013: Wim: Soderling

I'm sure that's not right, a newcomer like Giraldo or Bellucci will get some
Also, I don't get why Murray will not burn up like Nadal :confused: He is every bit as defensive

#28 ·

Short answer: yes, extremely. Particularly when it comes to assessing Murray generally.

Both are great players whom I generally quite enjoy watching but predicting so many slams for each 3 years out is ridiculous. Still more telling is to predict only 2 for the current #1 (which is indeed very much in line with your irrational evaluation of most things having to do with Nadal) who is nearly the same age as Murray.

#30 ·

People forgetting nalbandian will win atleast 3 slams.

#51 ·

People forgetting nalbandian will win atleast 3 slams.
nalbandian will never win a slam.
it's preposterous to suggest he can still win one :lol:
:spit:

You are the most biased poster I have seen on this board. Del Potro is in another class from Murray. He stepped up in his only grand slam final and won against Federer because of his aggressive, no fear game. What has Murray done in his finals to suggest he wins all these majors? Nothing. I think he could win 1 or 2 slams when his career is all said and done but let's not get carried away here..
murray faced jesusfed in both those finals, and he never had a chance.
had he been facing other players he would have 2 slams already.
federer isn't jesusfed anymore :shrug: therefore murray will have more chances on hardcourt slams and he'll take them.
If they're the future, tennis has lost a fan.
oh dear, one of the tens of millions of fans :bigcry:
uber negative and plain wishful thinking.......murray was ripped apart like a banana leaf just a couple weeks ago and del potro is still not back on the tour.......
he lost 6-4 7-6 6-4, and was up a break in the third.
is that what you call being ripped apart? :confused:
nadal is the one who has won 8 slams already and knows how to do it.......we are in the nadal era and they will have to fight like no other day to snatch even 1 slam from him in the next 1 year.......deal with it.......
nadal era? maybe for the next year or so, but we're entering a new era.
at his 14(not a proper teen yet)sapeod/daniel/dirthless/twiglight_vista a.k.a "i'm so stupid,ban me 12th time please" rides again.
i'm 15, not 14. and that isn't a proper teen? i do believe it's spelled fifteen.
now are you gonna discuss the topic at hand, or just spew hatred towards me like you usually do?
Blah blah.. Nadal wasn't even playing well int he Wimb SF and it was still NID.

Glory, you so delusional.
i'm sorry, but you're even more delusional than i am. aren't you the poster that said serena williams would win against top 100 atp players? :lol:
:haha:

that says it all
doesn't seem to say anything to me.
Little one, where are you getting this JesusDelPo on clay from? Has he even a final let alone a title on clay?
he has 2 titles on clay :haha:
his power will help him against anybody on clay.
only player that can really withstand his power is murray, but murray isn't good enough on clay.
nadal will find it hard to beat him on clay
Didn't you say something like this before he won Wimbledon?
i'm not sure.
i'm very confident he won't win any slams off clay every again though
Roger's gonna be winning his 17th.:sobbing::sobbing:
of course, he'll win wimbledon next year, or maybe another one.
he has 2 slams left in him
sorry who is winning on grass if not Federer and Nadal?
after federer is not at slam winning level anymore, and nadal starts to decline as well, murray will take over on grass.
what do you find so funny?
Murray? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
again, what is so funny?
You've been saying this for the last 10 non clay slams
so i've been saying this since wimbledon 2007?
i joined here at the beginning of 2009.
I think Nadal is going to win AT LEAST one more HC slam, maybe not USO, but quite possibly AO. Australian Open is earlier in the season, and his knees won't bother him too much. He has already won one AO. He has the chance to win another IMO. He will quite possibly win two or three more RG's and maybe one or two more Wimbly's. That'll leave him with like 12-14 slams.
i don't think he'll win a hardcourt slam every again, or wimbledon either.
obviously he'll win some more at rg.
he'll end up with 10 slams, 2 more at rg.

#32 ·

I really don't see how Murray and his style of play is the future of tennis. He might sneak in a few slams (I agree with you probably USO or AO), but players in the mold of Delpo, Soderling and Berdych will dominate IMO.

#34 ·

federer has started to decline, though he'll stick around a few more years and will win atleast 2 more slams.
nadal's tendinitis has started to catch up to him, as his play style is very straining on his body, especially on hardcourts.
nadal will burn out in 3 years max and federer won't be anywhere near what he is atm in 3 years...

this leaves the domination of tennis up for grabs for a few players: djokovic, tsonga, soderling, berdych, del potro, murray, cilic etc.
players that have their best ahead of them and are still to reach their prime. most big hitters with big serves.
out of all these there are two that i think will dominate the tour for years to come: del potro and murray
these two have already showed how good they are already, and they still haven't reached their prime
murray still has a long way to come on clay, but delpo is very comfortable on that surface. likewise delpo has a way to come on grass, while murray is comfortable on it.
both have 3 slams they can win, maybe 4 if they can improve on the other surface.

as the us open is coming, i think murray is one of the heavy favourites for the title. since delpo isn't in his way because of injury, i think he'll grab his first slam title this year at the us open.
next year, both will be here, and both will hopefully be healthy and fit and playing their best tennis. both can play well at the aus open, so either of them can win. since nadal isn't as comfortable on hard as them, and federer isn't at his best anymore, i think delpo or murray will win the aus open. rg will be nadal's, wimbledon will be federer, then back to hardcourt slams.

this is the timeline of how i think the next few slam winners will be:

2010: UO: Murray
2011 Wim: Federer
2011: UO: Del Potro
2012: Wim: Federer
2012: UO: Murray
2013: AO: Del Potro
2013: RG: Del Potro
2013: Wim: Murray
2014????

this is how i think the next few years will go in the slams, murray and del potro dominating hardcourt, murray dominating grass and del potro dominating clay. nadal will win the next few roland garros titles, but del potro will start to take over. federer will win another two wimbledon's then murray will take over.
the hardcourt masters will go to either murray or del potro, i think mostly to murray.
the claycourt masters will go to del potro, as murray isn't very comfortable on clay

now soderling, berdych could win a slam somewhere there i think, most likely on grass imo. and they could win a ms every now and then, but for a few years i think the dominating forces of tennis will be these two: juan martin del potro and andy murray. of course a new player could come along and dominate just like federer did, but it looks unlikely atm.

discuss...
uber negative and plain wishful thinking.......murray was ripped apart like a banana leaf just a couple weeks ago and del potro is still not back on the tour.......

nadal is the one who has won 8 slams already and knows how to do it.......we are in the nadal era and they will have to fight like no other day to snatch even 1 slam from him in the next 1 year.......deal with it.......

#35 ·

Murray did have a set point on his serve in the 2nd set and led 4-2 in the 3rd set with a break at Wimbledon so hardly ripped apart. Murray has also won his last AO and USO matches against Nadal.

#36 ·

discuss...
okay,i will discuss.

at his 14(not a proper teen yet)sapeod/daniel/dirthless/twiglight_vista a.k.a "i'm so stupid,ban me 12th time please" rides again.

to orka n:worship:

#37 ·

murray: yes
Del Potro: no

#40 ·

A couple of years ago I would have backed Murray (along with Djokovic), to be one of the two to rise and eventually usurp Federer/Nadal but now I am not so sure. I still think that Murray will win a few slams, indeed it has taken Federer or Nadal to stop him in quite a few over the last couple of years and those two legends of the game can't go on winning forever, but unless Murray can improve his forehand/second serve, I don't think that he has enough to become a long-term number one or dominate the game for any period of time.

Del Potro I suspect probably has more of a chance, but only if he can come back and recapture the form that he displayed during 2009 following this wrist injury. Wouldn't like to just assume that he will come back as the same player but if he can there I am sure he will be one of the main contenders during the next decade.

The fascinating one for me is Djokovic as in 2008 he was really on the level of the top guys and looked like he would go on and win several slams but now it's impossible to know which Djokovic will show up from match to match. I would think that he has too much talent not to turn it around eventually but it doesn't look to be coming just yet.

Regarding the Tsongas and the Soderlings of this world it's a strange one, in truth I don't see them as domination material but with Federer on the slide, it's a great chance for someone to step up and try to fill the void and I don't see many youngsters surging up the rankings like Del Potro and Murray did.

#43 ·

typical mtf retardess, dismissing the obvious, is it so hard to face reality? :lol:

murray is top 5 and del potro was top 5 before his injury so its fair to say that they are future ;)
murray is 23 yrs old he should be the present of tennis not the future, no. 1 player of the world right now is 24 barring injuries he still is a big favorite in at least 2 GS (W and FO) and also a favorite in AO and is always a contender in USO. he better make his move now or the window will be closing on him soon.

Del Potro is still young and if he recovers his form last yr because of injury can be dominating force in HC but not on grass and clay but it will not be a factor i guess until 2012(this is a wrist surgery and is a serious one for tennis since wrist affect his stroke so its not sure if he will be a 100% recovery or if the wrist injury will not reoccur again), so del Potro future is still an asterisk

#1,073 ·

sorry who is winning on grass if not Federer and Nadal?
Well there is 1 guy called Novak Djokovic

If Murray ever wins a slam, is going to be a sad day for tennis.
Pretty much

But Djokovic is a favourite for the US Open?
Based on what?
He isn't a GS winner atm.

The last time Djokovic beat Murray was in 2008, on clay.
Since then, Murray has won 6 consecutive sets.
As I said, Djokovic is NOT in Murray's league.

That's all I have to say.
I completely agree that they are in different leagues

The future of tennis has as many GS in his hall career as Federer after the age of 35.And he wasnt 2 match points away from 4. Really what a bright future :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.