Mens Tennis Forums banner

Andy Murray: The Future of Tennis!!!

87K views 1K replies 238 participants last post by  Lukasgigler 
#1 · (Edited)
Federer has started to decline, though he'll stick around a few more years and will win atleast 2 more slams.
Nadal's tendinitis has started to catch up to him, as his play style is very straining on his body, especially on hardcourts.
Nadal will burn out in 3 years max and Federer won't be anywhere near what he is atm in 3 years...

This leaves the domination of tennis up for grabs for a few players: Djokovic, Tsonga, Soderling, Berdych, Del potro, Murray, Cilic etc.
Players that have their best ahead of them and are still to reach their prime. Most big hitters with big serves.
Out of all these there are two that are top players, but I think only one will dominate the tour for years to come: Andy Murray.
He has already showed how good he can be, but he still hasn't reached his prime.
Murray still has a long way to come on clay, but is very comfortable on grass and hardcourt. He has 3 slams he could win, but I think he could be a threat for the RG title if he gets better on clay.
I think Murray is one of the heavy favourites for the hardcourt titles. I think he could get his first slam in 2011. Next year, both will be here, but it is unknown if Del Potro will get back to his best. I don't think so, so Murray will have one less player in the way. He can win it. Since Nadal isn't a threat to him on hard, and Federer isn't at his best anymore (though he's a still great and will win a few more slams), I think Murray will win the Oz Open. RG will be Nadal's again, Wimbledon will be Federer's, then back to hardcourt slams, which will be either Federer or Murray's.

This is the timeline of how I think the next few slam winners will be:

Australian Open: Andy Murray
Roland Garros: Rafael Nadal?
Wimbledon Championships: Roger Federer
United States Open: Andy Murray
Roland Garros: Rafael Nadal???
Olympic Gold: Andy Murray
Roland Garros: Andy Murray
Wimbledon Championships: Andy Murray
????
??????

This is how I think the next few years will go in the slams, Murray dominating hardcourt with Federer sticking around winning some slams, Murray dominating grass and Nadal continuing to dominate clay. Nadal will win the next few Roland Garros titles, and I have no idea who will take over from him. Murray could win Roland Garros sometime if he plays well enough. Federer will win another two Wimbledon's and a few hardcourt slams.
The hardcourt masters will go to mostly Murray.
The claycourt masters will go to Nadal, obviously.

Now, Soderling could win a slam somewhere there I think, most likely on hardcourt in my opinion. And he could win an MS every now and then (Soderling won his first in Paris), but for a few years I think the dominating force of tennis (at least on hardcourt and grass) will be Murray. Of course a new player could come along and dominate just like Federer did, but it looks unlikely at the moment.

2013 will be Murray's peak year. He will have developed and improved greatly on clay and I see him winning all of the slams that year...that will be Murray's year.

Discuss...

See less See more
#1,061 ·
Ah, indeed. Andy won Olympic gold and Nadal won Roland Garros. 3/3 for the past three predictions. Andy just needs to win the US Open and I'll have four in a row.

#1,063 ·
2013 looks very promising for andy based on this expertise.

#1,065 ·
Yes. A CCGS and 5 slams in a row meaning going into Aussie 2014 he will looking to equal the greatest player of the pre open era Don Budge and his 6 consecutive GS

#1,067 ·
Roland Garros: Rafael Nadal???
Olympic Gold: Andy Murray
What did I say? :cool: Shame about the Australian Open but that's 4 in a row and 4/5 :wavey:

#1,068 ·
Winning one slam and being the 2012 olympic gold medalist don't qualify one to be regarded as "future of tennis"... This is so overrated.

By the way, actually I don't quite understand what you meant by "future of tennis".. if you put it as "future of multiple slams champ", or "Future Roger Federer", then that makes more sense.

#1,069 ·
spot on
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/11/andy-murray-10-things-us-open

especially this part

5. Murray does have style. It's just rather different to that of most other tennis players. And thank God for that. Can you imagine Murray in that white suit with gold lamé trim and matching manbag that Federer sported at Wimbledon in 2009? I should hope not. Murray has his very own, grungy anti-style including a haircut that has never seen a comb and looks like it's been done by a barber shop apprentice on his first day. This is a huge, unexplored realm of sponsorship for Murray. Djokovic is sponsored by Uniqlo; Murray should go one better and sign with Primark.
:lol:

#1,071 ·
#1,070 ·
That was a hell of a wait, but he finally made it. Now he will be the greatest threat to Djokovic, in the next 2 years. Cant wait to see the 2 battle for big titles in next months :yeah:

#1,078 ·
This leaves the domination of tennis up for grabs for a few players: Djokovic, Tsonga, Soderling, Berdych, Del potro, Murray, Cilic etc.
Players that have their best ahead of them and are still to reach their prime. Most big hitters with big serves.
Out of all these there are two that are top players, but I think only one will dominate the tour for years to come: Andy Murray.
:spit:

Reactions: RocketMan70
#1,081 ·
He could've reached double digits for sure if he didn't suffer a set back in 2014, his problem was getting past that last hurdle and win a slam which he eventually achieved and could've propelled his ascension but unfortunately needed surgery and took a while to get back in it after had another set back with his leg. All things considered amazing career.
In OP's defense he couldn't have guessed he would get such nasty injuries to derail him.

#1,086 ·
I love how Djokovic isn’t even being mentioned in OP… this didn’t age well.
Hi clowns,

Just a reminder of the order of things the last time Murray was fit and had two hips.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle

Djokovic really lucked out with Murray getting a near career ending injury before he was even 30. Never forget it.

#1,083 ·
This place will reach new levels of dreariness if we're now bumping decade-old threads to basically cry 'Haha! You were wrong about this and that!' Needless to say, it could be done for near enough every single thread, even if going back by a shorter period of time.

And lol at using 'Murray in his 30s' to make any kind of comparison... his body was compromised almost to the point of being finished before even reaching 30 years old ffs.

#1,084 ·
This place will reach new levels of dreariness if we're now bumping decade-old threads to basically cry 'Haha! You were wrong about this and that!' Needless to say, it could be done for near enough every single thread, even if going back by a shorter period of time.

And lol at using 'Murray in his 30s' to make any kind of comparison... his body was compromised almost to the point of being finished before even reaching 30 years old ffs.
Fakervic fans are preparing for a whole month without their saviour playing due to his anti-vaxx stance and being denied an exemption.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.