Mens Tennis Forums banner

AO Round 3 [14]Gilles Simon def. Gael Monfils 6-4, 6-4, 4-6, 1-6, 8-6

14K views 144 replies 99 participants last post by  Zelyony 
#1 ·

Rest up soldier!!!!! Amazing stuff. :worship:
Go back to your original job Monfils. You're better off with children's birthday parties.

See less See more
#4 ·
As expected, greatest match of the tournament =p

Ridiculous, absurd, grueling, and yet compelling from start to finish.

Everything you could ask for in a Monfils vs Simon match.

Simon really showed a lot of heart to pull through that, but he's going to be fucking dead next round though.

#6 ·
God, my eyes... It was so painfull to watch. This match-up should be avoided in any possible way - apart from #1 and #2 seeds organisers at all tournaments should put these two in different halfs of draw despite the rankings.

#9 ·
Oh my god this overshadows the Tomic/Fed match. Absolutely incredible. Lost for words.

Love u Simon bb :hearts: and Monfils you were pretty good too.

#11 ·
Truly one of the greatest fifth sets I have ever seen, legendary stuff. Unreal points and I really thought Simon was going to pass out at some point.

Beginning of the fourth set when they were both injured, Monfils started slicing every forehand, Simon double faulted to give a break and just tanked the rest of the set was great too :lol:

#135 ·
that is so bad :0 but so bad it might be good. which I had caught this. it is a shame, Simon pushing vs. Murray pushing would have been interesting but now he will be sleepy and tired and not even take a set probably :sad:

#17 ·
Well what do people think two counter punchers playing of course there will be a lot Unforced Errors.

#20 ·
Great match except the 4th set and some parts of the 3rd.

#22 ·
All my hate for Simon the pusher has disappeared with this match. He gave it every bit of heart he had and it seems he has a lot of it. The man was in such pain through the whole ordeal and kept going and giving 150% in there. It wasn't pretty but he bought me through and through.

Clownfils though... :facepalm: My god man, he faced 110kmh serves and simply returned them mid court... I'm not saying he didn't put himself out there but really he could and should have won this game. Terrible terrible match from him.

Gilles you are now my man!

#90 ·
Simon did this last major when he was injured against fish. He couldn't move his arms over his head to serve really- his serves were basically half their normals speed but he took Fish to 4 close sets somehow. He's a warrior. :cool:

#23 ·
Nobody deserved that victory. Every time I see a Monfils/Simon match I am just so disappointed that there can only be one loser.

I have no idea what the fuck is wrong with those guys. I have never seen someone win the 4th set after being 2 sets down and show zero emotion. Monfils just grabbed his towel and plodded to his bench. It was like both players had been paid to throw the match.

Total disgrace to tennis.

#28 ·
Had I been drunken, that match would've probably been funny to watch. But it was terrible to watch as I was sober. After 3rd set, I didn't watch it for over 1.5 hours and I think I didn't miss anything, they were still at level in 5th when I continued watching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.