Mens Tennis Forums banner

Australian Open

15K views 238 replies 23 participants last post by  Edda 
#1 ·
Pretty decent draw. Seppi first round should be winnable and after that Lu/quali. Monfils in his part, who isn't fully fit. I expect a third round here.

Andy Murray GBR (5) Qualifier
Marc Gicquel FRA Simone Bolelli ITA
Jarkko Nieminen FIN Nick Lindahl AUS
Florent Serra FRA Jurgen Melzer AUT (28)

David Ferrer ESP (17) Andreas Seppi ITA
Qualifier Yen-Hsun Lu TPE
Daniel Koellerer AUT Qualifier
Qualifier Gael Monfils FRA (12)

#110 ·
They are both professionals and unfortunately for them, doing press is a part of their profession. Of course the press are sniffing a nice little angle here with neither of them telling what was said at the net. Not much else to write about with this being such a weird, nearly boring match. And I agree with Sue, they both handled the interviews really well.

In my opinion David just played rock solid. It can't have been easy playing against a wounded Rafa that obviously would have still beat a lesser player than David. Well done to David and I hope Rafa recovers swiftly. Also kudos to Rafa for finishing the match, very respectful.

Of course people will say that it was only possible for David to win because Rafa wasn't 100%. I say :shrug: He's in the semis and that's what it will say on his match record, not wether his QF opponent was fit.

Rafa's English has gotten so much better, now if only David would hire me so I can familiarize him with the wonders of past tense.:D

#111 ·
Rafa's pressers are getting more interesting and entertaining with each tournament especially when the "journalists" don't heed his few and far between requests to respect his privacy or stay away from a subject. I cannot believe the stupidity of these hackers. Rafa has always done an excellent job of deflecting controversial questions and with his improved English is now in a great position to make them look like idiots. His personality and humor come through.

It's also nice to see he and David tackling English grammar - David tried using modal verbs with an infinitive and almost got it. (I'm an ESL teacher and could be hired for a few shekels as well :)

#120 ·
First time I find time to come here today ;)
I am still so very happy for Ferrus win and even if Rafa was injured, I am sure Ferru would have given him a hard fight also if Rafa had been on a normal level.
I also have to say big credit to both players and I think they are both just too adorable :hearts: Rafa gets my biggest respect also for not giving up this match and you could see on Ferru as well how much he would have loved to play against a 100% fit Rafa.

But still, if a player deserves this big win, it surely is Ferru :yeah: He has so much heart, is such a fair player and always fights until the very last point!
He is just someone you feel very proud to be his fan and especially on a day like this :)
I am already looking forward to the match against Murray, hope our chico will have a chance there as well.

Congrats to our champion :yeah: :bounce: :banana: :yippee:

#121 ·
Does anyone have a link to the press conference with Ferru? I mean the real interview, not just the text...would be so great :worship:

#128 ·
Thanks so much :hug:

#125 ·
I have a Master's in English and taught English for a year. I would love to help David! Rafa is doing so well now. David is improving quickly, too. In exchange, he could give me some tennis lessons. (That would be hilarious! Edda The Klutz who walks into walls swinging a tennis racquet!) LOL!

#126 ·
Oops for Friday

Rod Laver Arena

3:00 PM Start
Women's Doubles - Final
Gisela Dulko(ARG)/Flavia Pennetta(ITA)[1]vs.Victoria Azarenka(BLR)/Maria Kirilenko(RUS)[12]

Mixed Doubles - Semifinals
Bethanie Mattek-Sands(USA)/Horia Tecau(ROU)vs.Yung-Jan Chan(TPE) /Paul Hanley(AUS)

Not Before:7:30 PM
Men's Singles - Semifinals
David Ferrer(ESP)[7]vs.Andy Murray(GBR)[5]

#127 ·
Suerte, suerte, suerte for our David :worship: :worship:

I soooooooo wish he will beat Murray tomorrow and am already very excited for that match!!!

As usual, I will be at work when he plays, but of course I will follow the live scores ;)

Vamossssssss Ferru :yeah: :worship:

#129 ·
Ferrer’s Coach Admits He “Already Had The Return Ticket”

Speaking to Marca the day after his charge had beaten Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open quarter-finals, Javier Piles revealed that he had already booked David Ferrer’s return flights home.

"He already had the ticket, but we kept changing every time he won another match. I usually buy my ticket for the Tuesday of the second week but I'm more than happy to change it and delighted to pay for it," said the Spaniard. "We never even hoped to be up here and we just need to look at the past to cherish even more how far we have come, and for him to realise how unique this opportunity is. These things don't happen very often in life."

On Thursday, Ferrer spent time relaxing ahead of the big match by playing beach tennis on Port Melbourne beach.

Attachments

#136 ·
Oh B****r..... :sad::(

OK, David can still hold his head up and be proud of the start to the year - he might have lost today, but boy did Murray have to fight for it! Murray will have to play better against Djoko I think and David really really gave him the run around, despite the scoreline. He was onto everything and there were some Murray tantrums (and a few David moments too, I must say!) But very high quality stuff from both guys.

That was a great article from the AO website - thanks for posting it Alisia. And there's a very yummy video of him playing beach tennis too!!!

#135 ·
My Austalian Open viewing has come to an end. I see no point in it now. Everyone I supported is gone, except for Kim Clijsters. I will watch, but only with muted interest. I had hoped it would be the lead in to weekend of watching my favorite players, but now it has turned out to be a feeble last hope. Women's tennis just doesn't interest me as much as men's tennis does.

#143 ·
I am curious what Na Li will do in the women's final though.
He's gonna be hurt by this one. You could tell he wanted it so much. The main difference between this match and any of the other "Ferrer against a top 10 player" matches was that he looked like he believed in himself. He actually thought that he could beat Murray and make it to the final of a GS. And so did I! When he won those 3 straight games to win the first set, I felt like there was no way in hell Murray was ever gonna win the match.:awww:

I was all fired up.:fiery: I didn't even fall asleep during the match.:)

And eventhough none of my favorites has made it to the finals, I'm still gonna watch it. I'm sure it will be interesting tennis.:cool:
I hear ya. However I so want Nole to win this now;)

#138 ·
He's gonna be hurt by this one. You could tell he wanted it so much. The main difference between this match and any of the other "Ferrer against a top 10 player" matches was that he looked like he believed in himself. He actually thought that he could beat Murray and make it to the final of a GS. And so did I! When he won those 3 straight games to win the first set, I felt like there was no way in hell Murray was ever gonna win the match.:awww:

I was all fired up.:fiery: I didn't even fall asleep during the match.:)

And eventhough none of my favorites has made it to the finals, I'm still gonna watch it. I'm sure it will be interesting tennis.:cool:

#139 ·
Yeah, he'll hurt .. how couldn't he for God's sake.... I was crying earlier today.

I just think and hope that he will move forward with an "OK, that's that, bugger it" attitude.

DAVID KNOWS THAT - he will move on!!!! AND WIN!!

For F*** sake I hurt, I bloody hurt - but shit, that's tennis. (sorry but it's how I feel for now)

Move on Feruu!!!

#140 ·
Carol and Linda, I can completely see how you guys are disappointed in him not making the finals. I must admit I would have loved to have seen him make it. But honestly, his loss isn't affecting me that much. I am SUPER thrilled for him, he made it so deep. I really think he'll have an outstanding year. I think he can cause some serious damage in matches when faced with top 5 players. He's playing wonderful and he will continue to do so.

Have a great weekend folks.

#141 ·
I know the result wasn't what either David or any of us wanted but what a match and what a tournament he played. He can certainly walk away from the AO with his head held high and know that we are all so proud of him.

He couldn't have possibly wished for a much better start to the year than winning in Auckland and reach the Semi's here. I just hope he keeps going with his confidence sky high and this aggressive style of play.

So proud of him for reaching No. 6 in the world again, something that not a lot of people (other than us, of course) thought he would achieve..........................

#142 ·
I haven't seen the match yet so I can't yet commiserate with your frustration and disappointment Carol and Linda. But based upon the scoreline David did himself, his coach, and his fans proud. He made Murray work......hard. What happened in that third set? Murray was obviously on fire but how did David let that entire set go? I'll have my answer later if you folks are too upset to answer. :hug:

David is gutted for sure but Piles has the right attitude and will pass that on to Ferru. Look at the larger picture ladies - the more practice he gets playing the likes of Murray, Fed, Djoko, and Rafa (notice I don't put Berdych and Sod in that group) the more knowledge he takes away to use for the next time. And there WILL be a next time for a semi if he keeps playing at this level. He's # 6 now and we're approaching clay season. I hope against all the odds that he'll be able to achieve the same and more at the French Open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.