Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Toronto be a washout? Federer, Nadal, Ferrer, Verdasco, Monfils out

30K views 329 replies 131 participants last post by  guichard 
#1 · (Edited)
Rafael Nadal says in his facebook page that he is out of Toronto.

Hi all, wanted to let you know that I won't be playing Toronto this year. I am not ready to play and I hope to be back in 2014 at that great tournament that has always treat me very well. I am continuing with my recup and practice. Thanks!

Unfortunate for him. :sad: We should all wish him well and a speedy recovery. He's important to the game.
It doesn't seem the same without him in the mix.

Respectfully,
masterclass

See less See more
#98 ·
Re: Will Toronto be a washout?

Fed will take a week off Ibiza.

#99 ·
Re: Confirmed. Nadal withdraws from Toronto.

Expected, but shitty news all the same. I wish him a speedy recovery, get well soon champ.

#101 ·

His US hard court season is already beginning to unravel. Not good news for him no doubt. Good news for his competitors I guess. How will he get any practice under his belt now for USO? If he plays in Cincy, he may be too rusty and will probably get exposed on that very fast surface. If he crashes out early in Cincy then, his confidence going into the USO will be less than good.

#122 ·
Re: Ferrer, Verdasco & Monfils withdraws from Toronto

Wawrinka and Harrison can be added to the list of withdrawals.
Why would Harrison withdraw :confused: He only had to play 1 match in London...

#105 ·

Djokovic will play to regain the number one and to defend his title. Federer? I would be surprised, i don't know about Murray but still, it's a golden chance to win a 1000 for the rest of the field, it will be exciting.

#113 ·

Djokovic will play to regain the number one and to defend his title. Federer? I would be surprised, i don't know about Murray but still, it's a golden chance to win a 1000 for the rest of the field, it will be exciting.
If he, in fact, does that then the Serb is really playing high stakes poker with his own season. Because he also has a final in Cincy to defend and Cincy happens to be the best practice for USO not Rogers cup. Is he going to risk skipping Cincy then?

And because if he reaches the final here in the Olympics (win or lose) and THEN plays rogers cup and cincy, his chances to defend the USO will drastically go down at some point. Does he want to defend USO or does he want to defend the #1 ranking and rogers cup? If he thinks he can do both after the Olympics.. and somehow pulls it off, more power to him. But in reality, he will probably be feeling it physically, you can bet on that, if he plays so much. Assuming your suggested scenario happens of course. He may just opt to skip rogers.

#115 ·

his PR team is one of the best ever known

my compliments again
Yup, no doubt. The poor injured warrior is barely walking yet watch him win the USO in 3 weeks' time

#110 ·

Nole defending the title. He's playing for sure.
Agreed. It's difficult to see him not playing. He's defending 1000 points.
Federer only defends 90 and Nadal 10 there.
If Federer does better than Djokovic in the Olympics, I would say he is a lock to skip Toronto and focus on Cincinnati and the US Open.

Respectfully,
masterclass

#108 ·

Sad to see him WD. Good for Federer and Djokovic when looking at the race for nr.1 though...

#114 ·

There's an article in a non English language where federer commits to playing Toronto next week. even if he wins Olympics the field should be so weak it'd be mental not to pla it. Top guys can vulture too.
Well,all the top guys are commited to play but the decision to actually play the tournament will be made at the end of the week.
It`s tough to say right now how tired the players will be after Sunday.He can easily change his mind if he has to play 5 sets and then do lots of promotional stuff the next day.

#119 ·

I think an event like Rogers Cup is prime stuff for Milos to win cuz A) its slow hard court and it gives Raonic time to bash that ball and B) its in Canada and C) all the top players will be tired from the Olympics and D) he's rested.

I say Milos will reach the semi-finals at the very least. He will either reach semis, finals or win the whole thing!

#120 ·

I think an event like Rogers Cup is prime stuff for Milos to win cuz A) its slow hard court and it gives Raonic time to bash that ball and B) its in Canada and C) all the top players will be tired from the Olympics and D) he's rested.

I say Milos will reach the semi-finals at the very least. He will either reach semis, finals or win the whole thing!
He should do well, but it depends on his draw. Milos is prone to getting the worst possible draw though ;)

#123 ·

wow, this event is becoming a mess already and will probably become even more of one. You really cant help but feel bad for the organisers when its looking likely that not even half of the top 30 will be there

#127 ·

Poor Canada. The ATP should have adjusted its schedule and bumped everything back a week. New York is still warm enough the first two weeks of September. Anyway, Gilles already said he would be there so that's one player in the top 15 :p. Hopefully he doesn't blow this opportunity and lose 1r or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.