Mens Tennis Forums banner

Wild Cards

5K views 75 replies 38 participants last post by  iftikhar 
#1 · (Edited)
Main Draw
1 John Isner USA
2 Alex Kuznetsov USA
3 Jesse Levine USA
4 Michael McClune USA (Kalamazoo champion)
5 Wayne Odesnik USA
6 Ryan Sweeting USA
7 Donald Young USA
8 Alun Jones AUS (TA)

Qualifying
1 Stephen Bass USA
2 Matt Bruch USA
3 Lester Cook USA
4 Ryler de Heart USA
5 Scoville Jenkins USA
6 Bryan Koniecko USA
7 Nikita Kryvonos USA
8 Dusan Lojda CZE (2006 boys' U.S. Open champion)
9 Phillip Simmonds USA

Doubles
1 ISNER USA/OUDSEMA USA
2 RAM USA/YOUNG USA
3 KENDRICK USA/QUERREY USA
4 GINEPRI USA/KUERTEN BRA
5 DAMICO USA/SCHNUGG USA (Kalamazoo champions)
6 KUZNETSOV USA/LEVINE USA
7 JENKINS USA/SIMMONDS USA

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Let the speculation begin.

Except for TA's wild card, all the 2006 main draw and qualifying wild cards went to American players age 22 & under:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=3985701&postcount=80

Highest-ranked Americans age 23 & under (as of 8/13/07):

Rank Name (Age)
153 Odesnik, Wayne (21) MD WC
182 Kuznetsov, Alex (20) MD WC
192 Isner, John (22) MD WC
199 Ram, Rajeev (23) QD DA
232 Young, Donald (18) MD WC
250 Sweeting, Ryan (20) MD WC
266 Evans, Brendan (21) QD DA
323 Jenkins, Scoville (20) QD WC
330 Simmonds, Phillip (21) QD WC
359 Cook, Lester (23) QD WC
374 Oudsema, Scott (21) QD DA
393 De Heart, Ryler (23) QD WC
461 Kryvonos, Nikita (20) QD WC
483 Levine, Jesse (19) MD WC
615 McClune, Michael (17) MD WC
685 Yim, Robert (22)
703 Fass, Adam (22)
715 Bruch, Matt (22) QD WC

#9 ·
I went back & reread some older information before I started this thread. From everything I read, the agreement between USTA & TA for reciprocal wild cards was for the U.S. Open 2006/Australian Open 2007 only. Perhaps the agreement has been renewed, but I haven't read anything about it.

#7 ·
Tsonga is already in directly.

#15 ·
Anyone know why Rhyne Williams isn't playing Kalamazoo, I would've figured he was a serious contender for it.

Jan-Michael Gambill is entered into qualifying, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a WC to the main draw. Also, if Odesnik can pull off an upset over Del Potro (currently starting the 3rd set), he'll probably be in contention for a WC as well. My guess is that Young, Isner, and Kuznetsov are locks.

#19 ·
The USTA stopped giving the NCAA wildcard a few years ago because Americans stopped winning it. Now they give the winner and finalist 'a look', but that spot is no longer guaranteed.

Jan-Mike will ask for a WC, of course, but I don't know that the USTA is going to give it to him if he doesn't put up a result somewhere. He has one last chance if he can get a WC into Cincy qualies on Saturday (and be healthy enough to play it).

I think Sweeting, Isner, and Young are sure, Kuznetsov, Oudsema, and Odesnik are probable. If Sco gets anything, it will be for qualies.

#21 ·
Oudsema for MD???

Bogomolov Jr., Warburg, Wilson, King, Ram deserved more than him....

what happen with Brian Baker??? :confused:

I remember he beat Gaudio at UsOpen 2005... but then dissapeared....

#25 ·
My money is on:
Isner (look to the left)
Young
Kuznetsov
Odesnik
Sweeting
Levine
Evans
Kalamazoo Champ (my guess is either Mcclune or Damico)

Oudsema may happen, but he'll probably drop out of the top 300 if he can't defend his Binghampton points next week. He hasn't made it past the quarters of a challenger this year. Simmonds and Jenkins haven't done very well this year, which is a shame. Jenkins seems to have the ability to do well but just doesn't for some reason, while Simmonds hasn't done much since his challenger win in Mexico last year. My guess is that Ram is too old to get one.

#34 ·
I hope that John Lackey get one for the qualy draw.
What do you think guys?

#36 ·
Main draw WC for Michael McClune after his 6-1 2-6 6-4 6-2 win over Ryan Thacher in the final of Kalamazoo.

Qualifying WC for Ryan Thacher. Doubles main draw WC for Kellen Damico and Nate Schnugg.

#39 · (Edited)
http://www.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?iType=949&inewsid=463559
Young, Isner Headline Men's US Open Wild Cards
8/15/07 6:34 PM

Seven Americans 22 Years-Old or Younger Awarded Entry

Locals Stephen Bass (Bronxville), Bryan Koniecko (Syosset) and Nikita Kryvonos (Flushing) Receive Qualifying Wild Cards

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – The USTA today announced that a talented group of young Americans consisting of John Isner (Greensboro, N.C.), Alex Kuznetsov (Tampa, Fla.), Jesse Levine (Boca Raton, Fla.), Wayne Odesnik (Weston, Fla.), Ryan Sweeting (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.), Donald Young (Atlanta) and 2007 USTA Boys’ 18s champion Michael McClune (Irvine, Calif.) as well as Australian Alun Jones, have been awarded men’s singles main draw wild card entries into the 2007 US Open Tennis Championships, which will be played Aug. 27-Sept. 9 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y.

Both the men’s and women’s US Open singles champions will earn $1.4 million with the ability to earn an additional $1 million in bonus prize money (for a total $2.4 million potential payout) based on their performance in the US Open Series. In addition, both US Open singles champions will receive a new Lexus automobile.

Isner, 22, is currently ranked No. 192 in the world. Two weeks ago at the Legg Mason Classic in Washington, D.C., his second career tour-level appearance, Isner notched wins over Tim Henman and Tommy Haas en route to the final where he lost to Andy Roddick. Isner set new ATP records by winning five straight matches in a third-set tiebreak and serving 144 aces throughout the week, the highest total in a non-Grand Slam event since the tour started keeping stats in 1991. He turned professional in May after leading the University of Georgia to the NCAA team title and ending his four-year collegiate career by reaching the final of the NCAA singles championship.

Jones, 27, earned his wild card through a reciprocal arrangement with Tennis Australia, which will grant a men’s singles main draw wild card into the 2008 Australian Open to a player designated by the USTA. He is currently ranked a career-high No. 123 in the world.

Kuznetsov, 20, is currently ranked No. 182 in the world. He qualified for the Australian Open in January where he reached the second round before losing to James Blake. He improved nearly 300 places in the rankings in 2006 through strong play on the USTA Pro Circuit after suffering a broken leg in a car accident in May 2005. He was the 2004 French Open boys’ singles runner-up.

Levine, 19, is currently ranked No. 483 in the world. Levine just finished his freshman season at the University of Florida with a 24-1 record and ranked No. 3 in the country. He earned All-American honors in singles and doubles and was named the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Rookie of the Year. At the tour level, Levine qualified for Delray Beach in January (winning two matches) and Newport in July.

McClune, 17, earned his wild card by winning the title at the 2007 USTA Boys’ 18s National Championship last weekend in Kalamazoo, Mich., less than two weeks before his 18th birthday. He was a finalist at the Mansfield (Texas) Futures last October, and recently attempted to qualify at the US Open Series event in Los Angeles. He is currently ranked No. 615 in the world.

Odesnik, 21, is currently ranked a career-high No. 153 in the world. He qualified for two US Open Series events thus far this summer, reaching the third round in Washington, D.C., and the second round at Montreal last week. The South African born American has won seven career Futures titles in 14 final appearances. He improved his year-end ranking for the fifth consecutive year in 2006.

Sweeting, 20, is currently ranked No. 250. He reached a career-high ranking of No. 230 in July after reaching the quarterfinals at three of the four USTA Pro Circuit Challengers he entered. The 2005 US Open boys’ singles champion became a U.S. citizen in 2006 (from Bahamas). He has served as a practice partner for the U.S. Davis Cup team in the 2006 World Group Semifinal against Russia in Moscow and 2007 first round at the Czech Republic.

Young, 18, is currently ranked No. 232 in the world. The 2007 Wimbledon boys’ champion won his first professional singles title at the Little Rock (Arkansas) Futures in April as a wild card and his first Challenger title at Aptos, Calif., in June – he is currently second in prize money earnings on the USTA Pro Circuit this season. He finished 2005 as the world's No. 1 ranked junior, the youngest ever to accomplish that feat at 16 years, 5 months. Young earned wild cards at the US Open in 2005 and 2006 as the USTA Boys’ 18s champion.

In addition to the eight US Open men’s singles main draw wild cards, the USTA also announced the nine men who have been awarded wild card entries into the US Open Qualifying Tournament, which will be held August 21-24 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Players receiving US Open qualifying wild cards are: Stephen Bass (22, Bronxville, N.Y.), Matt Bruch (20, Lake Forest, Ill.), Lester Cook (23, Sherman Oaks, Calif.) Ryler De Heart (23, Tampa, Fla.), Scoville Jenkins (20, Atlanta), Bryan Koniecko (20, Syosset, N.Y.), Nikita Kryvonos (20, Flushing, N.Y.), reigning US Open boys’ singles champion Dusan Lojda (19, Czech Republic) and Phillip Simmonds (21, Reston, Va.).

The 2007 US Open will mark the culmination of the US Open Series, the six-week summer tennis season linking all major ATP and Sony Ericsson WTA Tour tournaments in North America to the US Open. The US Open is the highest annually-attended sporting event in the world. More than 95 million viewers watched the 2006 US Open on CBS Sports and USA Network, and international broadcasts reached more than 180 countries.

The 2007 US Open will be held Monday, August 27 through Sunday, September 9. Tickets for the 2007 US Open can be purchased four ways: 1) at usopen.org; 2) by calling Ticketmaster at 1-866-OPEN-TIX; 3) at all Ticketmaster outlets; or 4) at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center box office. American Express is the Official Card of the US Open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.