Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafachat - vol. 79. Who cares about the AO? SA slam to start very soon! Bamos!

283K views 5K replies 49 participants last post by  acionescu 
#1 · (Edited)
#1,272 ·
Re: Rafachat - vol. 79. Worst Olympics ever - onto USO :rocker2:

I think you may have seen our other duo (who lost in the round of 16) because these guys both have short hair:

You are right. I saw the other ones. Now I take back my happiness for them, but not for you. ;)

Also I didn’t realize they beat the U.S. team. Now I will be accused of America hating again. :tears:

Generally I fast forward through beach volleyball. :lol:

JM :kiss:
Australia doing so poorly is a surprise. Australia is considered a very sporty country and the Sydney Olympics were so great. :hearts:

Oh well, doing well in sports is nice, but that’s not what makes a country good for its people. Finland and Australia do well in many other ways.

We have that philosophy that participation is the important thing in the soccer program here. Every child plays regardless of ability.

It’s a little different in baseball and football.

#1,261 · (Edited)

3 medals so far in the Olympics for Belgium. I think that we're already one up vs the previous Olympics.

3 medals: Not much, is it? Belgians take the motto "competing is more important than winning" a bit too far. We don't have this competitive mentality in our schools when doing sport. We always get told that we need to have fun in the first place and winning is just an after-thought. I do think it's a great attitude towards kids but it doesn't exactly lead to medals.

Our silver medalist is one of the very few real amateurs. He participates in one of the shooting events. His day job is a labor inspector. He had to take time off to compete in the Olympics. He was the only one in his sport to have a regular day job. Apparantly, they get taught by psychologists how to put themselves in a trance so that they don't have to move a muscle over a long, long time. Over 45 minutes, we saw this guy move only once and that was only a slight movement of his arm.
I can't sit still for 4 minutes, let alone 45 minutes so it's safe to say that this isn't my sport.

Our recent bronze medalist, is a sailer (laser radial) and a great, great girl: quite smart and with the greatest smile (the BBC journalist actually did praise her for having such a great smile). During the last Olympics in Beijing, she was a bit isolated because her sport is already an very solitary one and the sailing takes place outside the Olympic village as well + Beijing is too far away for most of her fans. So, this time in England, her supporters came in huge numbers and they were loud and very cheerful. So much so that the BBC tv crew went up to them to interview a couple of them after winning the bronze. They went to 3 guys with their face painted in the Belgian colors and each with a letter of her first name on their torso (E V I). A reaction from one of the guys: "FUCKING AMAZING....FUCKING AMAZING" :bounce:
After which the BBC reporter turned to the camera to apologise twice for the language ("I'm sure he didn't mean it that way but the excitement...") and back in the studio, they apologised two more times. :lol:
She was so happy to see so many supporters so that in itself was also great to watch.

I'm currently reading a Jo Nesbo book so I shall now get myself installed outside in my garden with that book.
I already saw the movie "How to train your dragon" (know that one? I LOVE IT) and today, I'm planning on watching "Rapunzel".
---> Highbrow stuff or what. :D

#1,283 ·

I already saw the movie "How to train your dragon" (know that one? I LOVE IT)
One of my favoritest movies.

China getting a gold even in sailing is disturbing I'd say. :eek: Leng jai can now call me a racist. :)
Chinese have never seen water you think?

#1,351 ·

Our recent bronze medalist, is a sailer (laser radial) and a great, great girl: quite smart and with the greatest smile (the BBC journalist actually did praise her for having such a great smile). During the last Olympics in Beijing, she was a bit isolated because her sport is already an very solitary one and the sailing takes place outside the Olympic village as well + Beijing is too far away for most of her fans. So, this time in England, her supporters came in huge numbers and they were loud and very cheerful. So much so that the BBC tv crew went up to them to interview a couple of them after winning the bronze. They went to 3 guys with their face painted in the Belgian colors and each with a letter of her first name on their torso (E V I). A reaction from one of the guys: "FUCKING AMAZING....FUCKING AMAZING" :bounce:
After which the BBC reporter turned to the camera to apologise twice for the language ("I'm sure he didn't mean it that way but the excitement...") and back in the studio, they apologised two more times. :lol:
I was watching this too :lol: It was HILARIOUS :lol:
Great to see them so excited
Australia doing so poorly is a surprise. Australia is considered a very sporty country and the Sydney Olympics were so great. :hearts:
I do not like to look at it like we are doing 'poorly'. There have been some disappointments but I think the biggest disappointment is the way our media have made a big deal about us doing so 'poorly' and making the athletes feel like they are letting the country down even when they put in great efforts but 'only' get silver or bronze :(

In Seoul we got 3 gold, in Barcelona we got 7, Atlanta 9. We are now going to be on 5 after today (we have a guaranteed gold in sailing). We had a stronger showing in the last few (kickstarted by hosting which always gives you an edge) but things won't always go your way and we have won a lot of silver which is not really all that bad ;) (p.s. I know you you wrote that when we still had 2 gold)
The Americans also beat the Canadians in a controversial soccer game yesterday. :sad:
Yeah. Terrible penalty, terrible result :(
The high jump always has the hottest men :drool:
No. That would be the gymnastics :p
Star hates america and maria hates the chinese. I'll hate the brits.
Once again :ras:

Also, MARIA! I wanted to come and say Happy Birthday a few days ago but it slipped my mind. so belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY ;)

#1,262 ·

Lovely athletes Belgium has Hilde! :yeah:
Our sailors didn't get a medal this time but they were all quite young. China getting a gold even in sailing is disturbing I'd say. :eek: Leng jai can now call me a racist. :)
Btw in Finland they have a similar discussion, whining about the lack of medals and competing mentality at schools. Finland has been doing much better at team sports than at individual events lately so they're discussing all the reasons etc.
Enjoy your day in your garden! :wavey:
We have rain & cold all this week. :eek: :(

P.S. The Borlée brothers were in the final finishing 5th & 6th. :yeah:

#1,274 ·

and maybe also Maris Strombergs in BMX. He got the gold medal in Beijing but BMX races are so unpredictable... So I hope but don't expect it :p
seems like the Latvian boys like the BMX :p

the fave in the womens BMX is a Brit

#1,264 ·

We don't have any beach volleyball players at the Olympics this time and I haven't seen the competition. :( I'm gonna cheer for the Latvians though! :rocker: I only saw in the news the strong Germans and Dutch teams advanced.

We got a silver in Greco-Roman wrestling last night! :eek: A total surprise although the guy was a world champion in 2006 at the age of only 21, got some bad injuries after that but won 3 tournaments earlier this year. :)
All our other athletes have failed. :sad: :eek:

#1,265 ·

Jonathan Borlée was 5th with a slightly injured hamstring and both Borlée brothers had a bad lane so the result was fine. Bit disappointing for them, I think, but it'll motivate them.
I adore these twins. They have such a great, great mentality.

TV people actually asked the two guys to give the commentators something so that it's easier to make out which is which. :lol: Jo's hair is now slightly longer than Kevin's. The problem is that you need to remember whose hair is longer.

--
On the BBC, they said that those Chinese athletes probably are told that they can't return home at all unless they win gold. :eek: :lol:

--
MariaV said:
We have rain & cold all this week
It's not that hot here either, though. 20°C. But it's dry at the moment and the weather will improve as the weeks progresses so it's all good at the moment.

--
Rafa's slowly training again. :)

Right, off to my garden now. Perhaps I'll take a walk first. Decisions, decisions. :D

:wavey: Have a nice day, everybody.

#1,268 ·

Jonathan Borlée was 5th with a slightly injured hamstring and both Borlée brothers had a bad lane so the result was fine. Bit disappointing for them, I think, but it'll motivate them.
I adore these twins. They have such a great, great mentality.
I remember you mentioned them a while ago, last year maybe? :scratch: I even saw them compete once. I had totally forgotten about them now though :eek:

Evita, how are your javelin guys? You used to have some good ones.
I don't follow it too closely but it seems they've regressed a bit, maybe psychological problems or something. They haven't had good results in a while and I'd be surprised if they get medals this time. You can check out this page, maybe put it in Google translate, it has info about them and their recent achievements.

#1,275 ·

Star :wavey:

Yes, participating already is good. :D Especially for the athletes from smaller countries. :D
It’s fun when athletes from little countries win gold — or just a medal. I think it’s fun for everyone.

I liked the Brazilian winning gold in the rings. It was a nice moment, but I thought the Chinese gymnast was better.

#1,277 ·

I think its fun when little nations win Gold as well

thats why i'm rooting for Spain to break that Golden duck

#1,288 ·

Speaking of multiquotes, where is Metis? It's been ages since she posted.

#1,292 ·

No matter who wins the Russians and the Romanians are the most graceful in gymnastics imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.