Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

• Yes, and he will cement his reputation as the best player ever

Votes: 199 55.4%
  • No, he will forever be two weeks short of the record

Votes: 160 44.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Federer regain the #1 spot?

139K views 1K replies 387 participants last post by  Speed of Light 
#1 ·
Looking at the rankings and the number of points Roger and Rafa have to defend this year, I'd say it's unlikely that Federer can regain it by the end of the season.

His best chance will probably come during next year's clay court season where he doesn't defend much and Nadal defends everything. Whether his game will be up to the level recquired to do it at almost 30 years old is anyone's guess, though.

#736 ·
Re: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the

hipolymer , federer if faced djokovic in his peak years , he should won the same slams , the most part of nole-federer matches were post-2007 and federer was past his peak and he could defeat nole many times in slams , masters1000 , masters cup and more tournaments.

the real black beast for roger is , was and will be nadal not nole.

30 years old fed defeated nole in rg and was the only who had matchpoint against him in another slam ( us open 2011 ).

#737 ·
Re: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the

in all of tardom, fedtards rank supreme with their excuses. stopped being angry at them a long time ago...now i just lol.

#738 ·

p.s
fed couldn't even beat a dim-witted (albeit determined) moonballer in his prime...the djoker and true future GOAT had to come and show him how to do it without too much fuss.

#740 ·

p.s
fed couldn't even beat a dim-witted (albeit determined) moonballer in his prime...the djoker and true future GOAT had to come and show him how to do it without too much fuss.
and the future goat :)haha:) couldn't beat this fed to reach his first rg-final. future goat's biggest threat is a 30 years old man :superlol:

#739 ·

NID
Djoko-trolls who think tennis was born in 2011 stinking up every possible thread in GM now and taking it to height Rafatards couldnt. Ajde.

#743 ·

People stop taking the bait from Nole_Spam. You're just obliging to her stupidity. Leave her be and then she'll look even sillier, writing posts to herself.
Then stop badrepping me if you don't care. :zzz:

#751 ·

anyone remembers this thread's point?

#754 ·

Tsk, why are people bothering with these clownish Djokotards. Let me get this thread back on topic.

I reckon Fed might take a WC in MC after all. He (apparently) hasn't lost as early in Miami since 2004 and in his preliminary schedule he had DC (they may have beaten the US after all). So all in all, he excluded MC because he would have had a total of one week's rest. Now he has had 3. It'd be interesting to see how Fed decides to proceed from here.

However, if he plays, it means he's feeling well so the retrieving duo better watch out ;).

#755 ·

I don't think playing MC would benefit Roger at all. He has QF points to defend and in reality we can only say that he will probably reach the semis. That means he would gain 180 points which isn't an awful lot. If he were to draw nadal in the semis then that would be it for Roger I'm afraid (MC is the slowest clay out there) and if Roger met Djokovic in the semis he could potentially do nadal a favour by defeating djokovic and then choking in the final as he has done several times in the past.

Imo it is better for Roger to rest then play madrid which is Roger's bets clay tournament (aside from hamburg which he doesn't play anymore, try to reach Rome semis and Rg final at least. If it all plays out Roger will get to Wimbledon with the chance to get to #1 if he wins it. And that's crunch time. Roger knows he has to win a slam to get to #1 and I think Wimbledon could be the perfect slam for him to do it.

#756 ·

I think it's better for Roger to play. He doesn't want to lose his steam/rhythm. The clay season (For the top players anyway) is 3 masters and a grand slam so might as well make the most use of clay.

#757 ·

^^^ But don't forget that madrid and rome are in back to back weeks and a week after rome is RG. Halle starts right asfter Rgt ends and wimbledon is just 1 weeks after halle. So Roger will play 7 weeks of tennis in 9 weeks, that's a lot of tennis.
I think he should rest for 1 week or 2 and then do some physical training to be in top shape for one of the most important part of the season.

Again 7 weeks of tennis in 9 weeks is a lot of tennis and Roger sertainly doesn't recover as fast as his younger opponents.

#758 ·

^^^ But don't forget that madrid and rome are in back to back weeks and a week after rome is RG. Halle starts right asfter Rgt ends and wimbledon is just 1 weeks after halle. So Roger will play 7 weeks of tennis in 9 weeks, that's a lot of tennis.
I think he should rest for 1 week or 2 and then do some physical training to be in top shape for one of the most important part of the season.

Again 7 weeks of tennis in 9 weeks is a lot of tennis and Roger sertainly doesn't recover as fast as his younger opponents.
Yeah that's a lot of tennis, but you have like a month off after Wimbledon, so that's more than enough time to recuperate. He's already gonna have been rested for 2 and a half weeks after his early exit at Miami and Madrid is 2 weeks after Monte Carlo right? More than enough rest in between I think.

#759 ·

They actually have only 20 days until the Olympics and then there's the Canada Open and Cincy, all back to back. Then one week rest and the two weeks with the two weeks of the USO with Davis Cup to follow.

So that's 3-weeks rest after Wimbey for 6 weeks play in 7. So he may have something like 15 weeks of playing in 18 weeks. It's crazy once you think about it in this way.

#760 ·

This post was in the "matches your most looking forward to" thread, but I think it's appropriate here in the Federer regain #1 thread:

Imagine a first time Djokovic-Federer Wimbledon Final where they could possibly play for #1 in the world, similar to Djokovic-Nadal at last year's Wimbledon.
A Federer win at Wimbledon would be a 2440 ranking point net swing. That's a lot of points.

Assuming the top 3 all make it to the semifinals/final, here are the 6 possibilities in order of gain for Federer on Djokovic in Djokovic-Federer meetings.
Given points gained/loss per result (R):
R Federer Djok. Nadal
W +1640........ 0 +800
Fin. +840... -800.... 0
SF.. +360. -1280 -480

Federer d. Djokovic in semifinal, defeats Nadal in Final - Federer gains 2920 on Djokovic, 1640 on Nadal.
Federer d. Djokovic in Final, Nadal makes it to semis - Federer gains 2440 on Djokovic, 2120 on Nadal.
Federer d. Djokovic in semifinal, loses to Nadal in Final - Federer gains 2120 on Djokovic, 40 on Nadal.
Djokovic d. Federer in semifinal, loses to Nadal in Final - Federer gains 1160 on Djokovic, -440 to Nadal.
Djokovic d. Federer in Final, Nadal makes it to semis - Federer gains 840 on Djokovic, 1320 on Nadal.
Djokovic d. Federer in semifinal, defeats Nadal in Final - Federer gains 360 on Djokovic and Nadal.

Now one can see why Federer is taking a long rest now, and trying to peak for the grass season - it's not only for the Olympics.

It's also probably why Mr. Djokovic is going to fight hard for improvement at Roland Garros, making a final or winning there. He needs a great clay season to maintain or increase his point lead pre-Wimbledon.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Mr. Djokovic is defending so many points this year, it's going to be very tough for him, a "curse" of having such a great year the year before. If he falters prior to the finals at either Wimbledon or the US Open, he opens the door for Federer to pick up a lot of points. But still Federer must play well enough to take advantage of that and not get upset by a Tsonga, a Berdych, or a Roddick for that matter. The draws will give us a better idea of his chances. Nadal is defending at Roland Garros, so must hold onto that first. But then he also defends finals at Wimbledon and the US Open. So he also has little room to falter. Mr. Federer is in the best position to take advantage this year, but whether he can do it or not, is another question.

Respectfully,
masterclass

#761 ·

I think Federer is best served by entering M-C and seeing what happens. He could get lucky and get a week or two at #2 as last year's points drop a week early. Then depending on how things go he has the choice to drop out of Rome (while the rest of the boys are bludgeoning each other to death) to rest up before RG.

Another minor point, it adds another "500" so that he does not need to take a "0" whereas his competitors are likely to have more "0's." This could be important by the time we get to Asia circuit

#763 · (Edited)

With Djokovic and Nadal out of the way, Federer has an excellent chance to extend his lead in the race to Shanghai for the top spot. Here are the countable points earned by the top four players after Shanghai 2011 and through Madrid SF.

Federer: 6240 (Basel 500, Paris 1000, WTF 1500, Doha 90, AO 720, DC 25, Rotterdam 500, Dubai 500, IW 1000, Miami 45, Madrid 360)
Djokovic: 4880 (Basel 180, Paris 180, WTF 200, AO 2000, Dubai 180, IW 360, Miami 1000, MC 600, Madrid 180)
Nadal: 4080 (WTF 200, Doha 90, AO 1200, IW 360, Miami 360, DC 280, MC 1000, Barcelona 500, Madrid 90)
Murray: 2330 (Paris 180, Brisbane 250, AO 720, Dubai 300, IW 10, Miami 600, MC 180, Barcelona 90)

Let me know if you spot any errors.

#765 ·

There are 2 more matches in Madrid.
It's true that Roger could win both, but until that happens, you can't say anything.

I mean... Tipsy isn't an easy threat, remember 08AO.

Last 5 matches vs Berdych H2H 3-2 on Berdych side.

And Delpo... It's true that the last 5 matches were all in Roger's Favour, but if JMDP finds his best form, he can really hurt Roger.

So... Madrid is really, really important for Roger if he wants to be #1. If he could grab those 1000 points. That would be serious shit.

#766 ·

Most likely Roger will win MAdrid and he will be very close-in Rome defending almost nothing thanks to his Gasquet choke from last year, RG will be tough but at least SF is safe bet and he can add a lot on Wimbledon, olympics, summer HC Masters and USO.

But if he fails to achieve No.1, because of some 50-200 points - than i will be laughing again over his Miami loss to Roddick, SF was safe bet there- c´mmon Monaco in SF of HC Masters1000 against Nole - maybe even more, so hope he won´t regret that Roddick choke .

#767 ·

I really hope Roddick's match won't bite Roger's ass at the end. That could have been an easy SF, final or a title.

#770 ·

I really hope Roddick's match won't bite Roger's ass at the end. That could have been an easy SF, final or a title.
It would be no fun to lose to Djokovic in SF, dont know if it is worth all those points. Federer should have played Djokovic in Basel/WTF/Dubai/Madrid but Djokovic escaped.

#768 ·

You can always change the future. But you can never change the past.
I think Fed will be madder about that USO SF than Roddick's match.

It's all on his head. step by step

#775 ·

I believe he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.