Mens Tennis Forums banner

Italian Tennis

36K views 295 replies 37 participants last post by  Champion number 1 
#1 ·
Instead of individual player threads I think this is easier for me.

Right now our tennis is pretty good. We have 5 inside the top 100 with 2 more ready to break into it.

Volandri is looking good in the top 35, although whether he can get to top 25 or so on seems hard as he is useless on any surface but Clay.

Seppi is slowly moving up the rankings now. Up to 77 and still moving up. Hopefully he can get nearer to 50 by the end of '05

Starace is going downwards and is already down to 94. Hes not in good form so he will need to get his confidence back quickly and surely he will want ton stay in the top 100 this year.

Di Mauro is at 99, but to be honest he is not really a top 100 player. He is not good on the main ATP tour but he has done well to reach his mark.

Sanguinetti in the top 60 is great,m the old man still has legs.

To come.... Bracciali, Aldi, Bolelli and Fognini :worship:

See less See more
#153 ·
Challenger San Marino, First Round

Martin Vassalo Arguello (ARG) d. (1)Filippo Volandri (ITA) 6-2 3-6 6-4
(6)Alessio Di Mauro (ITA) d. Juan Antonio Marin (CRC) 6-0 ret.
Alessandro Da Col (ITA) d. Martin Slanar (AUT) 6-4 7-5
Giorgio Galimberti (ITA) d. Ilija Bozoljac (SCG) 7-6 6-2
(7)Jiri Vanek (CZE) d. Simone Bolelli (ITA) 4-6 6-4 6-2
Federico Luzzi (ITA) d. Stefano Galvani (ITA) 4-6 6-4 6-4

Second Round

(6)Alessio Di Mauro (ITA) vs Benjamin Balleret (MON)
(5)Albert Montanes (ESP) d. Alessandro Da Col (ITA) 6-7 6-2 6-4
(8)Sergio Roitman (ARG) vs Giorgio Galimberti (ITA)
Federico Luzzi (ITA) d. Stefan Koubek (AUT) 7-6 6-4

#154 ·
Challenger San Pietroburgo, First Round

Alberto Brizzi (ITA) d. Kamil Capkovic (SVK) 6-4 7-6
Marco Crugnola (ITA) d. Daniele Giorgini (ITA) 7-5 6-3
(8)Leonardo Azzaro (ITA) d. Igor Sijsling (NED) 6-2 7-5
Dawid Olejniczak (POL) d. Francesci Aldi (ITA) 6-3 7-5

Second Round

Alberto Brizzi (ITA) d. (7)Michal Navratil (CZE) 7-6 3-6 6-4
(3)Denis Istomin (UZB) d. Marco Crugnola (ITA) 7-6 6-7 6-3
Robin Haase (NED) d. (8)Leonardo Azzaro (ITA) 6-2 7-6

#155 ·
Challenger Vigo, First Round

Simone Vagnozzi (ITA) d. (3)Ivan Navarro Pastor (ESP) 6-2 3-6 6-2
(2)Flavio Cipolla (ITA) d. Paul Baccanello (AUS) 6-4 7-6

Second Round

Simone Vagnozzi (ITA) d. Juan Martin Aranguren (ARG) 6-0 6-4
Daniel Munoz De La Nava (ESP) d. (2)Flavio Cipolla (ITA) 6-1 6-2

#158 ·
Challenger San Marino, Second Round

(6)Alessio Di Mauro (ITA) d. Benjamin Balleret (MON) 7-6 6-2
(5)Albert Montanes (ESP) d. Alessandro Da Col (ITA) 6-7 6-2 6-4
(8)Sergio Roitman (ARG) d. Giorgio Galimberti (ITA) 6-4 6-2
Federico Luzzi (ITA) d. Stefan Koubek (AUT) 7-6 6-4

QF

(6)Alessio Di Mauro (ITA) vs Jerome Haehnel (FRA)
Maximo Gonzalez (ARG) vs Federico Luzzi (ITA)

#163 ·
Well no Italians in the main finals this week, but Luzzi gave a good week and I am happy for that. Also Vagnozzi did well.

Better news. Sanguinetti and Seppi have won their 1st round qualies for the masters series tournament in the US. Fognini and Naso went through in their qualifiers for a challenger event also.

#165 ·
Bracciali is not in his best shape either. I think Roddick will still win unless Bracciali plays up to his best, which I hope he does. I really hope Davide and Andreas qualify for cincy.

#166 ·
In the second qualification round in the Bronx Challenger, Fognini has gone out to Jason Goodall :( 7-6 in the third, but better news with Naso and Stoppini going through to the final qualie round. Fognini doesnt seem in great form right now, but of course he isnt on his stronger surface, however I never throught he was so crap on hard court.

#167 ·
Champion number 1 said:
Bracciali is not in his best shape either. I think Roddick will still win unless Bracciali plays up to his best, which I hope he does. I really hope Davide and Andreas qualify for cincy.
Yah I was actually at Daniele's first round match at the rogers cup against Tursunov he fell apart after a good first set and needed the trainer..but towards the end of the match he was saying he felt better, I hope he puts a solid effort forth and beats Andy!

#172 ·
Rankings:

Volandri 53 (+3)
Sanguinetti 60 (+8)
Bracciali 63 (-1)
Seppi 70
Di Mauro 88 (+6)
Starace 98 (-3)
Galvani 106 (-1)
Cipolla 149 (+1)
Bolelli 150 (-4)
Luzzi 174 (+13)
Vico 180 (+2)
Galimberti 219 (+4)
Vagnozzi 222 (+25)
Stoppini 224
Lorenzi 241 (-14)
Fognini 249 (+4)
Azzaro 285 (+3)

#173 ·
In today's challengers so far. Bolelli is through to the 2nd round of Bronx defeating Cakl in 3 sets. Aldi went out in Cordenons and Torresi went out in Graz in the first rounds.

#175 ·
I hope this is the right place. Here are some photos of Simone Bolelli from his 1st round win over Tomas Cakl. They aren't the best, though, sorry :)

I have to finish uploading my photos of Galvani from his match today. It may take a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.