Mens Tennis Forums banner

Italian Tennis

36K views 295 replies 37 participants last post by  Champion number 1 
#1 ·
Instead of individual player threads I think this is easier for me.

Right now our tennis is pretty good. We have 5 inside the top 100 with 2 more ready to break into it.

Volandri is looking good in the top 35, although whether he can get to top 25 or so on seems hard as he is useless on any surface but Clay.

Seppi is slowly moving up the rankings now. Up to 77 and still moving up. Hopefully he can get nearer to 50 by the end of '05

Starace is going downwards and is already down to 94. Hes not in good form so he will need to get his confidence back quickly and surely he will want ton stay in the top 100 this year.

Di Mauro is at 99, but to be honest he is not really a top 100 player. He is not good on the main ATP tour but he has done well to reach his mark.

Sanguinetti in the top 60 is great,m the old man still has legs.

To come.... Bracciali, Aldi, Bolelli and Fognini :worship:

See less See more
#128 ·
today bracciali is playing against Almagro..he lost the first set 1-6 but he is serving for the set 5-3.....if he won,he has Gasquet...at s-Hertogenbosch Sanguinetti lost 6-7 6-7 to Zverev.....

#129 · (Edited)
Bracciali won that match and indeed faces Gasquet today. Hopefully Daniele can win, he started to play good v Almagro.

Seppi has reached the quarter after an impressive win against Hrbarty. Well done Andreas, but now he faces a difficult test against Murray or Mirnyi.

#131 ·
Bracciali lost in straight sets. He will have to give a good Wimbledon. With a good draw Bracciali is capable of 3rd round or 4th round, but thats only with a good draw.

#132 ·
Tomorrow morning I think I will be leaving my house at 9.30am for Roehampton to watch Bolelli v Galvani, Cipolla v Dorsch and Oprandi v Castellvi in Wimbledon qualies... all matches start at 11am... then at about 1 I will leave back for home to watch Italy v Czech :)

#133 · (Edited)
Champion number 1 said:
Tomorrow morning I think I will be leaving my house at 9.30am for Roehampton to watch Bolelli v Galvani, Cipolla v Dorsch and Oprandi v Castellvi in Wimbledon qualies... all matches start at 11am... then at about 1 I will leave back for home to watch Italy v Czech :)
Have fun!!!!!!!

EDIT.....
SEPPI WON 7-6 4-6 6-1.......

#135 ·
Italian WImbledon draw

POTITO STARACE – Mikhail Youznhy
STEFANO GALVANI-Alexander Waske
DANIELE BRACCIALI-Dominik Hrbaty
FILIPPO VOLANDRI-Lleyton Hewitt
ANDREAS SEPPI-Jamie Baker
DAVIDE SANGUINETTI-Kevin Kim
ALESSIO DI MAURO-Alberto Martin

#136 ·
Yes the performance of Seppi to beat Murray is great. He lost in the SF though to Bjorkman easily who is very good on grass, but in all, a very good tournament for Seppi and some confidence is back.

For the wimbly draw. Starace in current form will go out, especially on grass, but I hope Im wrong. Galvani I hope to advance. Bracciali has a difficult match, but with possibilities to advance. Volandri will go out :( Seppi I hope goes through and also Davide and Alessio have good chances to advance. Alessio with the tougher match up.

#137 ·
Italian Results

Youzhny d. STARACE
SANGUINETTI d. Kim
BRACCIALI d. Hrbaty
SEPPI def Baker

#140 ·
All Italian men out now.

Bracciali was the last survivor in the third round and should be happy with his performance. Italian tennis is in a solid state, but we really need 1 or 2 of them to try and firstly break the top 50 and then aim for top 20. Especially Seppi who clearly has all the tools apart from nerve and also Starace has loads of ability, but sucks often enough.

Why cant Volandri try out a new servie technique also? If he had a better serve he would be able to go for top 20.

#144 ·
Andrea Stoppini just pulled of an amazing win against Agassi 64 63 to reach the 3rd round in Washington. This is the best tournament of his career. Hes came through qualifying and now won 2 matches and will definitely move up from his ranking of 248.

#145 ·
56 Filippo Volandri (+2)
62 Daniele Bracciali (-3)
68 Davide Sanguinetti (-1)
70 Andreas Seppi (-1)
94 Alessio Di Mauro (+3)
95 Potito Starace (-14)
105 Stefano Galvani (+9)
146 Simone Bolelli (-11)
150 Flavio Cipolla (-5)
182 Uros Vico (-4)
187 Federico Luzzi (+4)
223 Giorgio Galimberti (-14)
224 Andrea Stoppini (+22)
227 Paolo Lorenzi (-10)
247 Simone Vagnozzi (-3)
253 Fabio Fognini (-3)
288 Leonardo Azzaro (+8)

#146 ·
We need someone to get back into the top 50. If he regains form, then Volandri has the best chance, although he has 2 final spots to defend in Bucharest and Palermo after the US Open and if he doesnt his ranking can go down seriously.

Bracciali can make it back into the top 50 with some good form on the hard courts. Seppi doesnt seem to be improving lately. I hope Bolelli and Cipolla will make a push for the top 100 and Fognini a push for 150-200.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.