Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nole Chat Part 4 - THE EXAM THREAD!!! nerds inside, some survivors too.

133K views 5K replies 40 participants last post by  Lee 
#1 · (Edited)
:unsure: Idemo?

#3,323 ·
Re: Nole Chat Part 4 - THE EXAM THREAD!!! survivors and nerds inside

Michel, are you going to Roland Garros this year?
Probably not. I have exams during the first week, other plans during the subsequent weekend and while I have thought about buying a ticket for the final, it will probably cost me too much, especially taking into consideration my interrailing plans for the summer. Have to set priorities here.

In other news, the random YT video of the day:

Probably fake, still funny :lol:

#3,324 ·

You guys are killing me :rolls:

I think the obvious thing that would help the plan tramendously (what does this word even mean?) are the 24 dogs that we own combined :shrug:

Too bad Miško's not going to RG but on the bright side my friend's grandparents are. And mind you, this is the best friend who I talked to during MC finals and the one that got me through the Wawrinka AO match when I didn't have access to TV/internet due to my dad wanting to play Robin Hood :facepalm:

I went to the theatre :rocker2: it was great!
Hope you all had a nice weekend :)

#3,326 ·

You guys are killing me :rolls:

I think the obvious thing that would help the plan tramendously (what does this word even mean?) are the 24 dogs that we own combined :shrug:

Too bad Miško's not going to RG but on the bright side my friend's grandparents are. And mind you, this is the best friend who I talked to during MC finals and the one that got me through the Wawrinka AO match when I didn't have access to TV/internet due to my dad wanting to play Robin Hood :facepalm:

I went to the theatre :rocker2: it was great!
Hope you all had a nice weekend :)
From the same root as tremble.

tre·men·dous (tr-mnds)
adj.
a. Extremely large in amount, extent, or degree; enormous: a tremendous task. See Synonyms at enormous.
b. Informal Marvelous; wonderful: had a tremendous time at the theater last night.

#3,335 ·

Hi, Joe :)

It's been a little empty here, yes :sadface:

We talked about defense mechanisms at psychology today :rolls: story of my life, it definitely made me look into myself a little and at all the desperate things I say :lol:

#3,337 ·

Well, mostly it's just convincing myself (outloud, in front of others) that I couldn't have inflenced the outcome of a situation (1. denial). But since I have psych. oral exam tomorrow, let me try writing some more examples for other mechanisms, just for fun :crazy: so adults wiht adult problems: no need for reading my rant, it's done purely for educational purposes :lol:

Projection: I gossip about people gossiping.
Rationalization: this is my strong point. Why did I get a bad score at my exam? I can tell you 1000 reasons, but none of them will be "because I should have studied harder". There are countless similar examples.
Identification: "Well, Ana has the same grades as me and she's still considered smart and a good student."
Movement (? don't know the word): I never argue with my friends or give them an attitude or get angry, so my mom sometimes gets a double dose :sadface:
Compensation: While my life at school is not the best atm, I'm really improving my sports skills :rolls:
Subcompensation (?): I will kick maths' ass next year :rocker2:

there are two other things:
1) Im flirting with the option of letting my chem. grade go down automatically, because it really is just about what the teacher will think - I'm done with chem, I would only get this grade and never hear about it again - so why do it. Then again, this attitude won't get me anywhere.

2)I feel very guilty, because I know I could have gotten better grades at 90% of my subjects and I didn't.

This is just a very brief list of things, which make me feel like a bad person at the moment. It's all normal, the problem is that in 45minutes of class today, it kind of hit me all at once :lol:

#3,338 ·

Brilliant, I think you'll do very well in the exam tomorrow. You are not alone in thinking some of those things, I do it all the time as well! I spend the majority of my life trying to rationalise things I do, often the bad ones. :)

Aren't we all in denial all of the time, though? Seriously. :lol:

#3,339 ·

Yeah, well, this is just one tiny part of the topics covered :lol: thanks anyway:)

Sure, everyone does it, it's just seeing it on a powerpoint and our teacher giving you real life examples, which are strikingly similar to your feelings at that moment make you go all out on self-analysis :D
They're called common defense mechanisms for a reason :p

EDIT: JOE, what kind of a bet did you lose? :rolls:

#3,349 ·

Yeah, well, this is just one tiny part of the topics covered :lol: thanks anyway:)

Sure, everyone does it, it's just seeing it on a powerpoint and our teacher giving you real life examples, which are strikingly similar to your feelings at that moment make you go all out on self-analysis :D
They're called common defense mechanisms for a reason :p

EDIT: JOE, what kind of a bet did you lose? :rolls:
I know, but as you say, these 'common' thoughts are seldom formalised in the way you have done so, and probably aren't done so away from psychology studies. :)

Do you enjoy the subject? :shrug:

#3,350 ·

Katja and George, good luck with your exams for the rest of the week :cheerleader:

And that list psychological defence mechanisms is....very thought provoking :unsure:
One more until the holidays, and then two afterwards. Really not many left. :cheerleader:

Good luck for next week Michel, I remember you said you had exams during the first week of RG. :yeah:

Not long at all. I don't know if you remember, but when you first joined I lost a bet with Raquel, and I had to don a camp Nole avatar for two weeks. :facepalm:

#3,377 ·

Katka, I think the word you are not sure od in English is "displacement," i.e. you take out an emotion on a less threatening object. Also known in common parlance as "kicking the dog." :p
:hug: I failed to notice your brief appearance this afternoon :awww: thanks for helping me with words, it gets frustrating when I have to use a whole sentence for something that I could have just put in one word if I knew which one :)

:wavey: I'm back! It's nice with no internet or cell phone for two days. :dance:

And it's nicer to have internet after that. ;)
:hug: how was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.