Mens Tennis Forums banner

2008 Vamos Argentina Davis Cup Thread

20K views 161 replies 24 participants last post by  Action Jackson 
#1 · (Edited)
Well since Gaston looks very unlikely to play in the Davis Cup tie against the Swedes. It doesn't mean we can support the Argentine team whoever plays in it and yes that includes players we don't necessarily like.

They should be good enough to win this tie and the team of Nalle, Chela, Calleri and Acasuso isn't a bad team under the circumstances and any news relating to the tie would be appreciated for sure.

Vamos Argentina.

#29 ·
Re: 2006 Davis Cup Thread

Florencia said:
Good for Gaston and Guillermo Coria that (yesterday and today respectively) watched the match and supported the team.
I didn´t see Gastón yesterday because I was at work and TyC didn´t repeat the matches. :( But Coria today was VERY MUCH in evidence!

It was a great day, anyway! :D Perfect weather, not overly hot, a wonderful public, and Calleri the better of the two this time.
Tomorrow the dead rubbers will be played by Chela against Johansson and Acasuso against Soderling.

#30 ·

Good 5-0 win to Argentina.

The big test is coming though.

#31 ·

I will be trashed to say this here but the dream might be over. It will be impossible for the guys to defeat Croatia. Nalbandian alone won't make it. They will choose the super fast court and that's it. Sad but true :(

#32 ·

MeluG said:
I will be trashed to say this here but the dream might be over. It will be impossible for the guys to defeat Croatia. Nalbandian alone won't make it. They will choose the super fast court and that's it. Sad but true :(
I am not sure about impossible, but it will be very difficult for them to win and it's sensible to acknowledge this.

#33 ·

It looks like barring injuries the team will be the same for the Croatian tie. With Nalbandian, Acasuso, Calleri and Chela.

Thanks to an article translated by Vale which says Gaudio won't play in Zagreb, it's the commonsense decision in this case.

#34 ·

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/...ional_feed/06/03/21/TENNIS_Arg-Davis_Cup.html

Gaudio - withdrawn from contention.

SAME AGAIN FOR MANCINI

Argentina look set to name an unchanged squad for their Davis Cup quarter-final against Croatia after Gaston Gaudio withdrew from contention.

Gaudio is not thought to be in peak condition and does not relish the challenge posed by the fast surfaces in Zagreb, where the Argentina side will play between April 7-9.

That means coach Alberto Mancini will stick with the same party that hammered Sweden 5-0 in Buenos Aires, with David Nalbandian, Juan Ignacio Chela, Agustin Calleri and Jose Acasuso all set to be retained.

Mancini, in an interview with www.ole.com.ar, was in confident mood, citing last year's quarter-final appearance in Australia as a source of inspiration.

"We have a chance to beat Croatia. After what we did in Australia, nothing is impossible.

"It'll be a crucial match, but I think the key will be in the doubles match and the duels against Mario Ancic.

"I always dream of winning the Davis Cup."

#35 ·

I think that Gaston's excuses are not viable anymore. He should take a side and stick to the possible consequences: he cannot say "I would like to win the DC" or " We have good players to win it" or "We all play on the same side". Nobody believes that anymore. And personally (I will be trashed for saying this) since many articles have been questioning GG's choice of autoexcluding himself of the DC team once again, they all have a point. You cannot expect the media to always write pink stuff about Gaudio, he make mistakes and sometimes good writers point that out.
It is true, Gaston's tennis present is not good, but he's not injured. "Go out and play man! Maybe things change, and you come out victorious or maybe you lose 0-6 0-6 0-6, so what? At least you had the guts to play and say: watch me, I represent the present history of tennis" (Quoting Guillermo Vilas talking about Gaudio after MAlaga shock in a Espn interview in december 2005).
I hope Gaston won't play next time (if the team now wins) in clay only because it's clay, because that would not be fair for the guys who have been struggling when nobody wanted to do so. It's all I expect. I'm sorry but if Argentina wins the DC this year (very unlikely) Gaston had NOTHING to do with it, and that's how it shold be if it will.

#36 ·

First of all personally I don't give a crap who plays in the Argentine team as long as it's the best team they can field and win the Davis Cup. It's not a popularity contest.

Ok, here is the scenario Gaston has been playing like crap for quite a while. A Davis Cup tie is coming up and knowing that he has been playing like crap. Why would he be selected to play? Reputations don't win matches.

No need to forget about the last time Gaston played for Argentina when he wasn't in form. The team they have now is the best one under the circumstances and as for the next tie, whatever happens will happen.

If Gaston is playing well enough at the time to be selected, then he should be and that's the same for Coria as well. Luli is fleixble and has to be in his position to pick the right team to suit those particular conditions.

On a fast indoor court Gaston is worse than Nalle, Acasuso and Calleri and probably Chela as well. It should be about what's best for the team and not who gets the glory.

#37 ·

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=794456

The basic summary is that

Time to Adapt

The whole team is there in Zagreb and they are having double training to adjust to the surface as quickly as possible.

Nalle, Chela and Calleri were training in the first session and Acasuso and the youngster Emiliano Massa was there as well.

Mancini said " It seems the court is very fast and the one in the Paris- Bercy tournament is a little bit faster. The team is adapting well, working hard and so I have confidence"

Nalle and Calleri were working with Lucas Arnold an assistant to Mancini and partner to Nalle in 3 DC wins

Mancini repeated his speech about the differences between the Davis Cup and ATP. Ljubo is in very goiod form and Mancini said "Davis Cup is different and it's a great moment for a player and he has the confidence which is reflected in his results on the circuit."

They expect Ljubo to play and his doubtful participation is a strategic move to distract them.

#39 ·

I saw an article and it looks nice - I hope someone will provide translation or gist but for now I put the article and WEB TRANSLATION.

On the right column of the article there is a link to AUDIO of about 8 1/2 minutes - it is all Gaston!!! Gaston sounds quite OK there or is it only me?

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/04/03/um/m-01170557.htm

Gaudio: “La serie depende muchísimo de David”

El Gato comentó que Nalbandian será el factor decisivo en Argentina - Croacia, por los cuartos de la Copa Davis. Además, dijo que el equipo de Mancini "tiene más experiencia y puede ganar".

Su nivel por estos días, hace que deba ver la serie ente Argentina y Croacia por la Davis por televisión. Gastón Gaudio reconoce que es lógico que esté fuera del equipo aunque apoya desde afuera: “La serie se puede ganar”.

El Gato, en declaraciones al programa “Hay equipo”, por Radio Mitre, dijo que “Argentina tiene más experiencia y puede ganar la serie”. “Ljubicic pasa por un buen momento, pero no sé si tiene chapa para ganarle por una Davis contra David”, agregó.

Con respecto al single número uno y capitán de Croacia, Gaudio comentó: “Pasa por un momento increíble, pero no es un jugador que diga ‘Uy qué difícil es ganarle’”.

Además, el Gato explicó que para la serie que se viene, él pondría a Chela a jugar el viernes y a Calleri el domingo. “A Agustín lo vi jugar increíble cuando es punto, por eso lo pondría el domingo para definir”.

También, el argentino aclaró que no piensa retirarse y que lo que dijo, “fue el comentario que uno hace después de un mal día”. Y su mal momento, explica, se debe fundamentalmente al cansancio. “Hace dos años seguidos que estoy jugando sin parar, y así se hace muy difícil”.

Para cerrar, el Gato no dudó en qué contestar cuando le preguntaron quien estaba mejor, si él o el Rojo, club del cual es hincha. “Independiente anda peor”, tiró de inmediato. “Yo en los dos últimos dos años estuve jugando mejor”, remató a las carcajadas. Un Gaudio auténtico.

WEB TRANSLATION
20:11 | Gaudio: “The series depends a lot of David”

The Cat commented that Nalbandian will be the decisive factor in Argentina - Croatia, by the rooms of the Cup Davis. Besides, it said that the team of Mancini "has more experience and can gain".

Its level by these days, does that should to see the series entity Argentina and Croatia by the Davis by television. Gastón Gaudio recognizes that is logical that be outside of the team although supports since outside: “The series can be gained”.

The Cat, in statements al programs “there is team”, by Radio Mitre, said that “Argentina has more experience and can gain the series”. “Ljubicic passes for a good moment, but I do not know if has sheet to gain him for a Davis against David”, added.

With respect al single number one and captain of Croatia, Gaudio commented: “It passes for an incredible moment, but is not a player that say ‘Ugh how difficult it is to gain him' ”.

Besides, the Cat explained that for the series that comes, he would put to Cello to play Friday and to Calleri Sunday. “To Augustine I saw it to play incredible when is point, therefore would put it Sunday to define”.

Also, the Argentine clarified that he does not think to be withdrawn and that what said, “was the comment that one does after a badly day”. And its badly moment, explains, al is owed fundamentally exhaustion. “Two years in a row ago that I am playing without stopping, and thus is done very difficult”.

To close, the Cat did not doubt in what to answer when they asked him who was better, if he or the Red one, club of which is a supporter. “Independent he walks worse”, he threw immediately. “I in the two last two years was playing better”, he concluded to the laughter. A Gaudio authentic.

#41 ·

http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2006-04-04/j.php

Argentina at Croatia

Posted on April 04, 2006

Site: DOM Sportova, Zagreb, Croatia
Surface: Indoor carpet (Taraflex)
Ball: Pro Penn ATP

Remember when Argentina was a Davis Cup force? Probably not, because they really never have been -- barely a blip on the radar since the World Group was created in 1981.

It was back in '81 that the Gauchos reached their lone Davis Cup World Group final, with Guillermo Vilas and Jose-Luis Clerc stopped by the U.S. squad of John McEnroe and Roscoe Tanner. McEnroe as usual did the heavy lifting, winning both his singles and the doubles with Peter Fleming to clinch the tie 3-1.

The Argentines managed a semifinal in '83 and a quarterfinal in '84 before getting bounced from the World Group in 1988-89, and during a nine-year stretch from 1993-2001.

The year 2002 seemed to mark a Davis Cup resurgence for Argentina with players such as Gaston Gaudio, Guillermo Canas, and Juan Ignacio Chela in the mix, and Guillermo Coria brought on in 2004. But while the Argentines have maintained World Group status since 2002, between injuries and opponents putting them on slick surfaces they've been unable to fare any better than the semifinals, still without a championship-round berth since 1981.

This weekend the trend continues in Croatia.

Ivan Ljubicic is coming off the event in Miami where he nearly dispatched of the entire Argentine Davis Cup team en route to the final. The service bomb-dropping Mario "Baby Goran" Ancic will fill the No. 2 singles spot as the Gauchos again facing a weekend on ice-fast indoor carpet.

The Croats will perform in both singles and doubles, while Argentina will front David Nalbandian, and either Agustin Calleri or Chela in singles, and a doubles combination likely including Juan Acasuso.

For the Croats a win would be sweet revenge from their last meeting in the 2002 quarterfinals, where the Argentines rolled out their favored mud-slow red clay, but still needed the final singles match to clinch as Gaudio straight-setted Croat "Dr." Ivo Karlovic. Due to what seems to be a dispute with the Croat Federeration over money, or with captain Ljubicic, or both, Karlovic is not on Croatia's quarterfinal squad.

"Overall in the series, I think it's absolutely open," says Ljubicic who anticipates a tight tie. "I think doubles, it's gonna be very important because David (Nalbandian), the way he plays now, it's going to be very hard to beat him. I think it's definitely the best match of the quarterfinals of the Davis Cup...(Calleri) has a big game. He's a very dangerous opponent.

Compounding problems for Argentina is the absence of one of their best fast-court players, Guillermo Coria, who remains at No. 7 on the ATP Rankings with a lowly 4-4 record in 2006. The confidence-challenged former French Open runner-up has gone into seclusion with new coach Jose Higueras, practicing for what he hopes will be a coming-out party during the claycourt season.

-- Tennis-X.com

#43 ·

Ljubo is a funny guy saying that Argentina are the favourites, he is kidding himself.

So far it seems it's a 2 man team vs another 2 man team.

That's the Order of Play

Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) v Agustin Calleri (ARG)
Mario Ancic (CRO) v David Nalbandian (CRO)
Mario Ancic / Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) v Agustin Calleri / David Nalbandian (ARG)
Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) v David Nalbandian (ARG)
Mario Ancic (CRO) v Agustin Calleri (ARG)

#45 ·

Calleri was up 2 sets to love and a mini break in the tiebreaker and couldn't do the job.

Hope Nalle and the guys can win in doubles.

Luli Mancini

Calleri

Fans

#46 ·

Calleri said "I left my life out on the court, I have nothing to reproach myself for", :worship: and Mancini and the team were very appreciative of all he'd done. Let's face it, Ljubicic is 5 in the world and could be expected to turn around an adverse score! But thanks to the Gordo he was obliged to play for four hours!

#47 ·

Discovering about the result only now. Well, I'm sure Calleri gave the best he could. We expect so much in DC because the special spirit and mood contribute sometimes to create some miracles....But yes, it was Ljubo he was playing. We shouldn't forget about that. Time to cheer for the doubles now. :)

#48 ·

He fought so hard and made Ljubo work very hard for the victory and now it's up to the team to take advantage of this situation and try and get the win in the doubles.

It seems that Chucho might be playing doubles today with Nalbandian and they are prepared to face Ancic, but we'll see soon enough.

#50 ·

The guys are up 2 sets to 1 that being Chucho and Nalle and they really need to stay focused and win in 4 sets.

Can't waste bp chances either.

#51 ·

Chucho/Nalbandian defeat Ljubicic/Cilic 6-4 6-2 3-6 6-4

Nalbasuso did the job today and thanks for that, but they still have a lot of work to do and they will need Nalbandian to finish it tomorrow.

As much as I like Chucho, Chela and Calleri these aren't guys you want to play for your life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.