Mens Tennis Forums banner

Brydan Klein: Australia's Big Hope (changed to GB)

62K views 398 replies 58 participants last post by  Sombrerero loco 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We all know how well Brydan has been doing over the past few months, so it's about time that we gave him his own thread. Keep working hard, playing well, and even more impressive results shall follow. Congrats and good luck Brydan :)

#126 ·
Re: Brydan Klein: Australia's Big Hope

to win 2 tournaments in a row in any level for klein is an achievement. It shows that he able to sustain form unlike Guccione and Sirianni (who had potential or fluked but couldn't back up) and for Klein to back performances up shows that he has taken that extra level.

#131 ·

Same - good luck Brydan on your Davis Cup debut. You deserve it!

Shame the press keeps harking on about Tomic missing out and taking the shine off it. Once again the story is about your selection but Australian Tennis is apparently all about Tomic.

Good Luck Brydan - you EARNED it - you deserve it!

#132 ·

Same - good luck Brydan on your Davis Cup debut. You deserve it!

Shame the press keeps harking on about Tomic missing out and taking the shine off it. Once again the story is about your selection but Australian Tennis is apparently all about Tomic.

Good Luck Brydan - you EARNED it - you deserve it!
There's been press about Tomic not getting, haven't seen that. Silly if true, Tomic is still probably too young

Klein was probably the only logical choice for the 4th spot considering Luzcak is playing clay challengers in Morroco and moving back to a faster surface would be pointless for the 4th spot. Hopefully Klein gets to play a dead rubber.

#136 ·

Brydan keeps the streak going and has hit 11 wins in a row now.

1. Miles Armstrong 6-4 6-4 (Burnie)
2 Matt Reid 7-6(5) 7-5 (Burnie)
3. Kyu-Tae Im 6-3 6-4 (Burnie)
4. John Millman 6-4 6-4 (Burnie)
5. Grega Zemlja 6-3 6-3 (Burnie)
6. Sadik Kadir 4-6 6-4 6-4 (Mildura)
7. Jose Statham 6-3 6-7(2) 7-5 (Mildura)
8. Kaden Hensel 6-3 6-3 (Mildura)
9. Andrew Coelho 7-5 7-6(3) (Mildura)
10. Matthew Ebden 6-0 6-4 (Mildura)
11. Joel Lindner 6-4 7-6(4) (Melbourne)
12. Greg Jones ???

Next victim is Greg Jones. The really strange thing about this streak is that he has played all three tournaments in Australia in the last four weeks and has not played one of the same players twice. So 11 victories in a row shows Brydan adapts his game well to all different types of opponents. Also he's only dropped two sets in eleven matches.

#137 ·

I think if Brydan wins this title(i doubt is gonna happen). THe next level is form him to head to win matches in Europe. Its so positive for Brydan to be able to continue this hot strak. It shows he is consistent. REally want him to play his trade in Europe.

#138 ·

I think if Brydan wins this title(i doubt is gonna happen). THe next level is form him to head to win matches in Europe. Its so positive for Brydan to be able to continue this hot strak. It shows he is consistent. REally want him to play his trade in Europe.
Looks like he is in Challengers in Thailand straight after the DC tie! That's logical. Hope he gets the chance to play Soeda and/or Udomchoke in Melbourne :)

#139 ·

Brydans in the quarters now which brings the streak to 12.

2 Matt Reid 7-6(5) 7-5 (Burnie)
12. Greg Jones 6-3 6-3 (Melbourne)
13 Ivo Klec ???

I think he'll beat Klec. Brydan said in an interview that he is going to play both challengers in Thailand before he heads anywhere else. He should have a ranking very solidly inside the top 200 by then.

#141 ·

Ive been following the progress for these 2 for a while now. Brydan won junior Aus open, but then Jones was the one who had the good results for the rest of that year in the junior slams, looked like he was getting over the top of Brydan, but ever since they both stepped up from juniors, Brydan is the one that appears to be kicking on

#145 ·

From what I can work out...if Brydan wins Maccabi, his ranking will go up to a career best 173ish
Well thats becoming increasingly more probably now that there is only Australians left in the draw. Streak hits 13 now.

2. Matt Reid 7-6(5) 7-5 (Burnie)
12. Greg Jones 6-3 6-3 (Melbourne)
13. Ivo Klec 4-6 6-4 6-2 (Melbourne)
14. Bernard Tomic ???

If he can beat Bernard I know he can beat the winner of Ebelthite and Matosevic in the final.

G
#144 ·

He's picking and choosing the events to play that he knows he can win, I think it's a smart strategy, he obviously knows his limitations. He already stated he'll be back to play Burnie next year so it's not like he's pumping himself up to be on the world tour soon. Don't worry about the idiots on GM who discount all these performances, they just say stuff like that to cancel out the people that are pumping him up.

#149 ·

The streak had to come to an end at some stage, and Tomic was the one to stop him at 13 wins, 76 63

Still, great last four tournaments, really building towards the top 100 :yeah:
Hope he can get close to direct entrance into 2010 Aussie Open

#150 ·

Klein to make Davis Cup debut

Bangkok, 05 March 2009
Tennis Australia

Brydan Klein will make his Davis Cup debut against Thailand in Bangkok.

West Australian teenager Brydan Klein was this morning named to make his Optus Australian Davis Cup singles debut against Thailand in Bangkok tomorrow.

Lleyton Hewitt will lead off against 18-year-old Davis Cup debutant Kittipong Wachiramanowong after which Klein will make his national debut against Thai number one and former top 100 player Danai Udomchoke.

The teams were named and the draw conducted in a lavish ceremony at the National Tennis Development Centre in Nonthaburi, Bangkok, with a dancing baby elephant using its trunk to draw the names out of a gold bowl much to the delight of a large local media contingent.

“I am very excited, hopefully I can get us off to a good start,” Klein said.

The winner of this Asia–Oceania Group One Davis Cup by BNP Paribas tie will play the winner of Chinese Taipei versus India for a berth in September’s World Group Play-off.

Optus Australian Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald said Klein’s good lead-up form and strong hitting in practice had earned him his chance.

“He had come here in good form and is hitting the ball as well as I’ve seen him. One thing you can be sure of with Brydan is he will give his utmost out there on the court.”

Hewitt was happy with the draw and said the team's sole aim was to get back in the World Group, of which they hope this will be the first step.

“For me it is just a matter of us getting back into the World Group. We feel like we belong in the World Group and that’s what we’re here to do this week. Whether I get the three wins or we do it combined, we want to get in the World Group, that’s what we’re here to do.”

The former world number one said he was pleased with his form leading up to the tie.

“The way I played in Memphis I was very happy … it was the best I have played in a long time."

The Australians named Chris Guccione and Carsten Ball in the doubles to meet twins Sonchat and Sanchai Ratiwatana on Saturday afternoon.

The reverse singles will be played on Sunday.

Tomorrow's matches start at 11am local time (3:00pm Melbourne time).
I like this choice, hes obviously playing better than the Gooch in practice. I always got the feeling with the Gooch that he could actually lose to anyone on a given day so I like the consistency that Klein will bring to that singles spot.

Dont be suprised if Brydan beats Udomchoke, last singles match Udomchoke played he only won one game and that was against Marinko Matosevic! Bernard is not far behind so its very good that Brydan is getting to play a singles match now because I cant see him getting too many more opportunities in the future with Lleyton and Bernard.

#151 ·

After a horror Davis Cup debut Brydan is playing in a 50k Bangkok challenger this week. This is his quarter:

7 Daniel Brands GER v Florian Mayer GER
Kittipong Wachiramanowong THA v Brydan Klein AUS
Dieter Kindlmann GER v Marsel Ilhan TUR
2 Hyung-Taik Lee KOR v QUALIFIER

Not the hardest first round for Brydan but he does have 30 points to defend this week and to do so he would likely have to make semi finals which would not be easy in this quarter. He should at least pick up a first round victory here though. Good luck Brydan.

#157 ·

Brydan lost to the Thai wildcard in straight sets, I think he has lost a lot of confindence after that match against Udomchoke in Davis Cup.
He just couldn't control his anger. He threw the racket so many times and got
several warnings. Actually, his game was a lot better.

By the way, in the match against WC Thai, Brydan injured his ankle during the match.
So he couldn't move well right after.

#159 ·

Anyone know where Brydan is playing next?
Hopefully this injury doesn't hold him back. He has made great strides so far this year
Good news, he is back to competitive tennis on the european clay in the Rome challenger next week. Following that he will play a hard court challenger in Spain. Then I would think he would play the challenger in Italy the week after, and then maybe a tournament in Croatia or France. But he is definetly gearing up for French Qualies thats for sure. Good to see one of our boys cares about all four grand slams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.