Mens Tennis Forums banner

Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates (Their rivalry)

80K views 1K replies 232 participants last post by  Fedman 
#1 ·
Just something I thought about :p

let's think about it this way:

Fed's Australian Open = Djoko's Wimbledon.
Fed's Roland Garros = Djoko's Roland Garros.
Fed's Wimbledon = Djoko's Australian Open.
Fed's US Open = Djoko's US Open.

2003 & 2008 - First GS for each player
Both players won their first GS, and in their 'best' tournament of the four.

2004 & 2011 - First year of absolute Dominance
Both won 3 Slams in those year, and were more dominant than any other player on the tour. Also, the only Slam they didn't win was their worst Slam - RG. I know Fed's done it in 2004 which is of course right the next year after 2003, and Novak had a two year break, but oh well...

2005 & 2012 - A little less successful than the previous year
Only two Slams for Roger: His best one, and his second best. Novak has already won his best slam this year, so he now needs to win the USO :p

-------------

I'm kidding of course, but this is just interesting :)

See less See more
#200 ·
Re: Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates

There is no debate though. Federer is the greatest. Nole is not.

#201 ·

Djesus > Olderer :rocker2:

Olderer got lucky this year's Wimbledon SF with his unfair serve and illegal one handed backhand. Also, Olderer played in mug era, with Nadal as his only rival (a well known moonballing clown)

Reactions: Mimi
#206 ·

what debate???

fed is the greatest

nole is in his prime and rank 2nd to a 31 year old federer

silly
Maybe Nole hasn't been as crafty as Roger; he hasn't picked smaller tournaments were he can win even more easily than he won in Canada. Look at the points earned by them this year:

TOTAL POINTS
1. Novak 8110
2. Roger 7545

GRAND SLAM POINTS
1. Novak 3920
2. Roger 3440

MASTERS POINTS
1. Novak 3740
2. Roger 2405

SMALLER TOURNAMENTS
1. Roger 1700
2. Nole 450

What Nole needs is probably better planning: finding smaller tournaments where he can win without even trying. Roger is the goat of planning. No argument there.

#205 ·
#204 ·

Nole is a future GOAT.

#208 ·
Re: Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates - Year End Number 1

I'd prefer Nole. I've become accustomed to Noletards over 2011. Resurgent Fedtards coming out of the woodwork- it's too much.

#212 ·

I'd prefer Nole. I've become accustomed to Noletards over 2011. Resurgent Fedtards coming out of the woodwork- it's too much.
you talk like some clown and not like a tennis fan.... :eek: pretty sad when people like you are deciding which players they like/dislike based on that players fan club. if only you cared about style of play, personality, achievements..... :rolleyes:

#211 ·
Re: Federer 2012 > Djokovic 2012?

Djokovic is starting too look better guys. Many people have written him off and said he is in a slump which was always nonsense in my eyes. He still made final of RG, semis of Wimby and semis of the OG. It was just a question of time before he would get it together. There was no one to test him in Toronto however. In Cincy the world #1 will be there who is coming off a stellar grass court season. If Murray is fit he is also in Djokers half, as well as Delpo. Cincy should give us a good idea where his form is really at and what could happen at the USO.

#217 ·

Djokovic is starting too look better guys. Many people have written him off and said he is in a slump which was always nonsense in my eyes. He still made final of RG, semis of Wimby and semis of the OG. It was just a question of time before he would get it together. There was no one to test him in Toronto however. In Cincy the world #1 will be there who is coming off a stellar grass court season. If Murray is fit he is also in Djokers half, as well as Delpo. Cincy should give us a good idea where his form is really at and what could happen at the USO.
Agree with most of this post. However, i think that slump is a relative factor. Nole was definitely in a slump compared to 2011. Federer faced the same thing in 2009, where he won 2 slams and made the other 2 finals. It was still a decline compared to 2005-07.
I don't think nole is out of the woods yet. As you said, there was no one to test him in Toronto. Cincinnati should give a clear idea about his hopes for the uso and year-end no. 1.

#213 ·

How about Nadal to come back stronger than ever, take the US Open title and #1?

You can never count Rafa out, although Fed and Nole do seem more likely to end #1.

#218 ·
I think Novak is the favourite. I think he's also scheduled to play more tournaments than Fed till the end of the season which might give him the edge.

Hope Fed can reach 300 weeks which seems doable to me. If he could end the year as number one at 31 it will be one of his greatest achievements (already having it being also a great one).

#223 ·

Federer > Djokovic. There is no debate on this at the moment.
but Nocvak is quite young and has a potantial to win +10 slams in total so I assume we have to wait some time to compare these two

#226 ·

Federer > Djokovic. There is no debate on this at the moment.
but Nocvak is quite young and has a potantial to win +10 slams in total so I assume we have to wait some time to compare these two
Wll, noone who ever won 10+ slams managed as many titles after their 25th birthday as they did before. Since Djokovic has been 25 for some months now, he would be an exeption to the rule if he were to reach 10.

#225 ·

Everything`ll be at stake on US. Nole needs some gap between them before indoor season in Race, because even this 31 year old Fed`ll grab more points than him in autumn. And as he is the favourite for the last GS now it looks like 60-40 for Djokovic to finish season on 1 place.

If they are close in Race after US or Federer leads it, I`ll put my money on Roger.

#250 ·

Nole 2012 > Olderer.
I dont know about that yet but the US Open is gonna decide who had the better year .Until then you cant say who is better :) The fact that Fed at 31 and past his prime is even competing with players 6 years his junior is commendable to me

#238 ·
Seeing past-prime federer at 31 still in the discussion for YE number one against his six years younger opponent is truly amazing.

To make it even more interesting Fed should win cincy. That would fire things up even more. :)

Don't know if he can pull a win there though, since he'll come to cincy without preparation.

#248 ·

Lol, Fed>Agassi on HCs and no. As Nole spam likes counting only the current period, they haven't played on HCs this year, so I find it hard to really say he's so far out.
I thought you hated using Nole Fan to win an argument :scratch: :lol:

But in all seriousness H2H is over rated to me .I prefer how the players performed against the field than on a one to one basis .Fact of the matter is out of the 4 important hard court events this year ,Novak has won 3 of those while Roger only has 1 .And should we really penalize Novak for not beating Fed at the AO because Federer laid a egg in that semi .Novak is the best hard court player right now

#241 ·

What kind of a debate is this? There is no debate.

Federer is the world #1, the real #1 and the best player out there.
People who are comparing Federer and Wozniacki are idiots. Federer is the complete opposite of her as More slams than anybody else is the opposite of less slams than everybody else. If anything, Djokovic is the Azarenka of ATP: Gets his time of glory but irrelevant when discussing the greatest players in history.
As for year-end #1, I really hope that the debate is about this. This is at least a legitimate question. I still can't look past Federer to finish first, mainly because of the indoor swing, but we'll see.
But there's no further debate about these two. 31 year old Roger stronger than prime Novak pretty much says it all. Imagine the Wimbledon SF if both were in their prime, not just Novak. The Serb would be lucky to steal an average of 1.5 games a set.

#247 ·

What kind of a debate is this? There is no debate.

Federer is the world #1, the real #1 and the best player out there.
People who are comparing Federer and Wozniacki are idiots. Federer is the complete opposite of her as More slams than anybody else is the opposite of less slams than everybody else. If anything, Djokovic is the Azarenka of ATP: Gets his time of glory but irrelevant when discussing the greatest players in history.
As for year-end #1, I really hope that the debate is about this. This is at least a legitimate question. I still can't look past Federer to finish first, mainly because of the indoor swing, but we'll see.
But there's no further debate about these two. 31 year old Roger stronger than prime Novak pretty much says it all. Imagine the Wimbledon SF if both were in their prime, not just Novak. The Serb would be lucky to steal an average of 1.5 games a set.

Don't even comment on the fedzniacki thing. Its from the most stupid of fanboys or plain haters. Bringing up two of the best 500.s in the year but totally OK with Monte Carlo and now Toronto.. And totally ignoring the O2 where Fed is undefeated BtB :eek:

#243 ·

I think at the moment and the time of the year the YTD rankings is more efficient than the 52 week rankings. I don't get the discussion on whose Goat and talking about the past achievements Federer or Djokovic, it's about the year-end ranking. Right now its Djokovic leading the YTD rankings i think it depends what Federer can do at the rest of the US Open Swing if he can maybe finish at the very least finals of both Cincy and US Open, i will favor him more to end as no. 1 as i think he can do better at the indoor courts.

#244 ·

I think at the moment and the time of the year the YTD rankings is more efficient than the 52 week rankings. I don't get the discussion on whose Goat and talking about the past achievements Federer or Djokovic, it's about the year-end ranking. Right now its Djokovic leading the YTD rankings i think it depends what Federer can do at the rest of the US Open Swing if he can maybe finish at the very least finals of both Cincy and US Open, i will favor him more to end as no. 1 as i think he can do better at the indoor courts.
Hilarious. I didn't see you proclaiming that after Wimbledon :haha:.

#252 ·

Fed's been by far the best player this year but skipping two Masters events, Monte and Toronto, as well as that poor defeat to Roddy in Miami has hurt his chances in the race to #1

but still plenty of time left for the Maestro

Indoor season

#254 ·

Fed's been by far the best player this year but skipping two Masters events, Monte and Toronto, as well as that poor defeat to Roddy in Miami has hurt his chances in the race to #1

but still plenty of time left for the Maestro

Indoor season
Let's hope that his inability to play out a whole season won't cost him his rightfully deserved year end #1 ranking then... ?

#275 ·

Nadal would only beat Fed on dirt these days

Last time I checked this thread wasn't about Nadal but of course you can say that now since Nadal is injured. A non-injured Nadal, as history has shown us, would bead Fed anywhere: on clay, on grass, on HC (except indoors).

:lol: Fed isn't by far the best player this year. The best player this year is Djoker since he won the biggest tournaments out of the Top Players which are AO and Miami. No one forced Federer to skip Canada or Monte Carlo.

#410 ·

No, we do not agree. I tried to explain that in another post in this thread. But I admit the difference between IW and Miami is rather minimal.

To give you an example about Wimbledon: Here in Germany it is the only Slam which is not shown on free TV, so exclusive it is. All Slams are valued the same now.
:haha:

So Miami >>>>>>>> IW but all the slams are equal because Germany (that don't care for tennis since Graf and Becker retired) don't air it? Keep it up buddy :yeah:

#411 ·

:haha:

So Miami >>>>>>>> IW but all the slams are equal because Germany (that don't care for tennis since Graf and Becker retired) don't air it? Keep it up buddy :yeah:

I gave more reasons in my other posts but yeah, there are lots of people who have called and still now call Miami the "5th Slam". Those people obviously think that Miami > IW :shrug:

#262 ·

seriously though, why was Nole is such good shape in Toronto when Fed, Muzza, Delpo all falling apart

something fishy there

has he made the egg 2.0?
him and his boffins

#264 ·

seriously though, why was Nole is such good shape in Toronto when Fed, Muzza, Delpo all falling apart

something fishy there

has he made the egg 2.0?
him and his boffins
He wasn't in such a good shape. He just cruised through some mugs and his servant Tipsy :shrug:. We'll see his form when he's exposed to the best two players in the world currently in Cincy :shrug:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.