Mens Tennis Forums banner

Clay, clay ... time to show yourself

7K views 66 replies 9 participants last post by  Nikkie 
#1 ·
Open the clay part of the season 2010.
The first tournament on clay will be the Monte Carlo.

Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters
Place: Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Date: 11.04.2010-18.04.2010
Draw Size: S-56 D-24
Surface: Clay
Prize Money: € 2,227,500

[4] Marin Cilic (CRO) bye
Igor Andreev (RUS) - [WC] Simone Bolelli (ITA)
Olivier Rochus (BEL) - Andreas Seppi (ITA)
Albert Montanes (ESP) - [16] Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)

#33 ·
Good for you, Igor! :bigclap:
Pleased with this victory!
Continue to win! :worship:

PS: Too bad the match did not see (
But very glad that Igor coped! :)

#38 ·
ANDREEV OUSTS FIFTH SEED KARLOVIC

Russian Igor Andreev overturned a 0-2 career record against Ivo Karlovic as he ousted the big-serving Croatian 6-4, 7-5 Wednesday in the second round of the Serbia Open 2010, an ATP World Tour 250 clay-court tennis tournament in Belgrade.

The No. 50-ranked Andreev broke the famed Karlovic serve twice, once in each set, to defeat the fifth seed in 87 minutes. World No. 33 Karlovic, a finalist in Delray Beach earlier in the year, reached the semi-finals (l. to Kubot) at the inaugural edition of the Serbia Open last year.

“It’s always tough against Ivo… he won’t give you much rhythm and you’ll only get one or two chances and you have to take them,” Andreev said. “ I tried to stay focused during the match and in the second set I was happy to make a break at the end. I was very happy the way the match went.”

The 26-year-old Andreev, who clinched his 200th tour-level match win with his first-round victory over Blaz Kavcic, is through to his third ATP World Tour quarter-final of the year. He was also successful on clay in South America in February, reaching the semi-finals in Costa do Sauipe (l. to Kubot) and the quarter-finals in Buenos Aires (l. to Ferrer).

Andreev next will face big-serving American Sam Querrey, who claimed three service breaks in a 6-3, 6-4 win over Evgeny Korolev.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2010/05/18/Belgrade-Wednesday-Andreev-Ousts-Karlovic.aspx

#44 ·
Friday, 07.05.2010.

CENTER COURT start at 12:00 noon
[2] John Isner (USA) vs. Richard Gasquet (FRA)

CENTER COURT not before 2:00 PM
[4] Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) vs. [6] Viktor Troicki (SRB)
[3] Sam Querrey (USA) vs. Igor Andreev (RUS)

Go Igor! :worship:

#47 ·
he lost:sad:

final score 3-6, 6-2, 4-6

he got down 2-5 in the final set but we can br proud of the fact that he fought back to break sam for 3-5 then held at love for 4-5. He also had 0-30 on sam's serve and looked like he was going to break for 5-5 but sam won 4 straight points.

#49 ·
It's a much better week than previous weeks, but still shows he isn't there yet to beat top players or at least high quality guys. His wins to Kavcic and Ivo coming off injury on clay really aren't impressive, but it's the win that counts. Hopefully he gained some confidence and feel for his shots this week he can apply next week to Madrid. Also he got to 200 wins so that is an amazing accomplishment, can't believe he has already been around that long to do that! Congrats to that, Igor and good luck in Spain!

#50 ·
Igor :sad:
The beginning of the first set, Igor failed. Immediately lost their starting and end the party could not even impose a fight at the party. I never could adjust reception filing.
Yet the task was such as I think - to keep its supply, take, and only then drag the opponent into long jokes that Igor can do well, knowing how to play on clay.

To solve these problems Igor began in the second set. He did not start the party failed, and after managed to exploit the situation and made a break, and then secured an advantage, and held starting on time audience.
He led 4:1, with 4:2 Igor took his serve, and then take the set, took another break.
If in the first set in the main struggle was to serve Igor, in the second set, the situation changed.

In the third game of the third sets in his filing Igor had several break-point, and at first had to be easy.
Igor was wrong, but then himself in a brilliant style of the hole.

In the fifth game of serve Igor had the advantage, but then a double fault and an error occurred. Deuce.
Had a chance to keep starting Igor, but prevented the error. He lost one point, he missed the attention of game.
In the next game Igor could level the score in the set, but failed to take their chance.

When 2:4 Igor simply gave his filing and the score became 2:5.
Provide combat Igor has managed at the account 00:30 *. He won three goals and earned a break-point and took the filing of an opponent. In a good style of game played. Then Igor confidently took his pitch.

Ah .. if, Igor himself would not have created such an account :sad: if not given the second time in the set :sad:

At the reception, 4:5 Igor took 30:00*, but then some strange shortened, then the error and 30:30. Igor still managed to make break-point, but his opponent played a great presentation.
Well, more and more matchballs and all.

Igor :banghead::crying2:

I'm sorry:sad:
In the second set I was happy to play Igor and thinking about good, but(
If Igor in the third set did not give it to the second filing, then things might have been different.
Instill hope in the end of the match, could do by 5:5, but not bad(((

Sorry, this grid was good, that could even think about the finals and the title, which we are all waiting for so long as Igor, but apparently have to wait again.
:worship: :hug:

1 / 4 final - but not bad, especially after recent results, but could hope for more. By Igor at the game it was capable of.
And I thought Igor compared to previous tournaments managed to add. I hope it is true that I have not thought.
Though it's the best form Igor Andreev is still far. :hug:

But the youth that Igor is a good performance all the same :)

Igor, continued to work hard on yourself! :worship::hug:

#52 ·
Here is Igor's full section for Madrid:

Murray - Bye
Cuevas - Q1
Hanescu - Andreev
Q2 - Querrey

Quite frankly, based on how Igor has played lately, Hanescu probably is the favorite to win the match and I don't really expect Igor to win. Also Victor is playing for Romania this week in Davis Cup and has won 2 rubbers already with another tomorrow, so he will be match tough and confident if he wins tomorrow.

If Igor can win his R1 match, then he will likely face Sam again, and that will be a challenge since he just lost to him a few days ago. Igor will need to bounce back from the match and put it behind him and pump himself up and assure himself he can win. After that, likely Murray, another tough match.

If Igor is going to improve his ranking and regain his confidence, these are the types of draws and matches he will need to play his way through. So in a way this could be a blessing in disguise if he wins these matches and causes some upsets. You have to believe and think positively in hard times such as Igor is going through.

Good luck in Madrid Igor!

#55 ·
Hanescu could be tired, good point, and the drop off in intensity from Davis Cup to a R1 match on an outside court in a regular tournament generally will make someone run out of energy even more. However, he played short matches in Romania and won all of them easily, so his confidence level is high, and Igor's isn't. The difference in courts and Victor's preparation and how he's feeling will be the major factor in the match IMO.

I agree with you that if Igor had started better he could have won the match, but the problem is that he didn't start well, and has too many bad patches in matches to win consistently. Hopefully the two wins in Belgrade will help with his confidence, and him almost coming back from being far behind in the third set vs. Sam could give him assurance that he can and should win playing upper-level players and that if he plays like he is capable of he can. Also Sam could also be tired from Belgrade so that should help.

He has the opportunity for a great tournament, but it is up to him to capitalize.

#56 ·
Today the match against Hanescu.
At the 6 Court 2nd run.

Igor success! :bounce::hug:

And a successful tournament! It seems to me that there is strength in Igor and he can and generally should be up to Murray and his beat!

Igor! :worship:

#57 ·
Igor retired 6-3 5-6 :sobbing: :sad: I think he may have injured him self at deuce while Hanescu was serving for the 2nd set.. there was a bit of a pause, unless the scoreboard was acting up. I hope it's nothing serious. :bigcry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.