Mens Tennis Forums banner

Does Christmas Piss Anyone Else Off?

8K views 136 replies 56 participants last post by  MathMul 
#1 ·
I'm talking with non-Christian people who live in a Christian society.

It's nothing better than racism. It's the same concept. Leave a whole group of people out, and then rub it in their faces.

The constant advertising, the non-stop songs, the teachers asking kids what they got for "Christmas" (which excludes other holidays)

Why is this allowed in today's society?

I'm sure I'm not the only one pissed off. I know nothing about it will change in my lifetime, but I just felt the need to write this up. If I wrote this in an academic paper I would most likely get in trouble.

Are there any Christians who would care to refute?

Discuss.

Reactions: Nole Rules
#3 ·
Non-Christian, correct?

#5 ·
In what way does it bring a "feel-good factor"? Maybe for Christians it does, but not for the other religions. It probably is a damn good holiday, but it makes it feel worse to non-Christians such as myself who don't get to experience it while everyone else talks/brags about it for 2-3 months straight.

#11 ·
Do you celebrate it?

#18 ·
I hate it.

I hate getting presents and pretending to like them, and I hate giving out presents as well. I always want to get everyone something they'll really like so I end up spending thousands of dollars that I shouldn't.

It's got nothing to do with religion for me, and most Australians - regarding celebrations I mean, everyone knows it's Jesus' birthday - but here it's more about family, friends, sunny beaches, lots of beer and some seafood :lol: That part I can deal with.

#20 ·
I hate it.

I hate getting presents and pretending to like them, and I hate giving out presents as well. I always want to get everyone something they'll really like so I end up spending thousands of dollars that I shouldn't.
This reminds me of:

:haha:

#21 ·
If I lived in a non-Christian country and there was a celebration day equivalent to Christmas, i.e. something that's almost as much a secular holiday than religious holiday, I'd probably enjoy it. I wouldn't care about the religius aspect of that celebration day but I might like that day's traditions otherwise.

So if I weren't a Christian, I'd still probably like Christmas.

Reactions: The Prince
#24 ·
Same thing as George. You've never experienced it, so you don't know that for sure. We probably need a non-Christmas celebrater to share an opinion.

we have put up a tree and exchange gifts, so yeah
Thought so.

#27 ·
Yes. Completely normal day.

#30 ·
It is, and the fact that it is rubbed in our faces (unintentionally though) sucks as well.

#31 ·
I'm an atheist and Christmas is my second favourite holiday after Thanksgiving.

#33 ·
Celebrate, no?

This is probably not quite the same but actually there's one public holiday I don't care too much about. It's the midsummer fest. Originally a pagan celebration, it was later Christianized, but I don't think meny people think about that Christian side of that weekend. (At least I don't.) For many people it's just a three-day weekend during which you drink a lot and go to your cottage on the shore of a lake if you have one. My family doesn't have a cottage so in that sense it isn't special.

Yep, it's a good weekend for socializing but there are many other good weekends in the summer anyway. As a lazy guy, I usually dedicate that weekend's evenings every second summer only for watching football Euro or World Cup.

Still, as it's a puclic holiday on Friday, I like it. Not that it really has affected on me very much but once I'll get a permanent job, for sure I want that public holiday to stay. And of course, it will stay.
:yeah:

#38 ·
Yeah it kind of pisses me off. It was much better when it didn't cost me anything and everybody in sight was throwing gifts at me :lol:

Now it's just all unmet expectations and a painful reminder that I'm not a kid anymore :awww:

Eating turkey for three straight days is good though :drool:

#43 ·
has never pissed me off but the last few years are when i have started to appreciate it for what its all about - being with the whole family and nothing else, see my old granny's happy face as she gets to run around the house fussing after everyone

#44 ·
Amen to Freakyman being gone.

Christmas only annoys me when I see the rich spoiled 13's-Early 20's get amazing presents and are ungrateful about it. Not all of us are getting a payed off mustang or a new ipad each Christmas. :no:

The giving part of Christmas has become way more fun for me, now that I can actually afford decent gifts my family will enjoy, instead of corny homemade cards :p. Don't get me wrong homemade cards are great but families truly appreciate $ for what they want.

#80 ·
What the fuck is your problem? Whites are the majority, but do we still not give them the same rights? Then how the fuck is it different from Christmas and people who don't celebrate it. Tons of fucking people don't celebrate Christmas, so it's not like you guys are a huge majority. Who the fuck do you think you are to insult the minorities for being, well, the minorities?

#51 ·
I like it. The only thing is it can get to be too much. Here in Toronto some stores started playing Christmas music on November 1st, and people actually complained and got them to take it off! Because if you start so early, by the time the actual day comes around, you are already sick of it.

I like sending and receiving actual cards in the mail. I don't mind e-cards for birthdays but I like to get a real Xmas card. It's fun to get something positive in the mail; something besides bills! :p

#57 ·
I think this is a troll thread.

Nevertheless, being a confirmed atheist I do not celebrate Xmas. But I really enjoy helping my friends and family celebrate it. Only part I don't like is adults exchanging gifts - I hate having to buy them and know that they are not what the person might want anyway.

#63 ·
My thoughts exactly. Already the tree is not Christian. It was brought to my country by the Germans after WWI. I don't like celebrating the way it exists in my country today.

So the OP is a Jew? How surprisinbg he's trivializing racism then? (For those who read Douglas Reed) :p

Greg Lake's is still the best Christmas song, denouncing all the commercialization of the event, reminding us it's only a celebration of Jesus' birth, which means, not in the snow but ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.