Mens Tennis Forums banner

Ernests' news thread!

220K views 2K replies 128 participants last post by  BlueLighthouse 
#1 ·
You forgot to create this one, Z! ;)

I think we can let the old thread rest in peace. It's served its time. :p

#611 ·
Those bears keep coming back! Imagine you want to win a Latvian men's heart... You have to find a way to stock a big amount of bears in your house :cuckoo: :lol:
Yeah Yaniss (or is it Janis?), I wanna know that too :) What does beer means in your life, as a Latvian? :p

#613 ·
I was talking about beer, but Yaniss is allowed to say it when a bear would mean much in his life... ;)

I found a very fitting picture btw

Attachments

This post has been deleted
#628 ·
my train was an hour late today, so I had time to go through the magazines at the train station. in the German tennis magazine was an article about the young rising stars. it had about 2 sentences about Erno lol but there was a pic (taken during a match) and the caption said: "Books rather than playstation. Ernests Gulbis is considered quite the intellectual on the tour."
I loved that caption (although it had nothing to do with the pic) and I thought I'd share since we don't have too many news ;)

#629 ·
it had about 2 sentences about Erno lol but there was a pic (taken during a match) and the caption said: "Books rather than playstation. Ernests Gulbis is considered quite the intellectual on the tour."
:haha: That was super random. I love it, too. Brains :inlove:

This post has been deleted
#638 ·
When I saw this first I thought that Ernie doesn't need to win this because, to be honest, Māris Štrombergs did win a gold medal and it's way more impressive than a QF at a Grand slam. But then I realized that the prize is actually called "The most popular/famous sportsman of Latvia in 2008" and as we all know popularity isn't the same as medals/wins. So I have no problem voting for Ernests :)

#644 ·
about the voting!
me and my friends were voting for erno and we found that his votes were deducted by the system. at first erno was in the first place then his votes were decreased that he's now about 300 votes behind Māris Štrombergs!
my friend screencaped the results.

does anyone know why is that? can someone, esp.the latvians here contact the website or the organization about this? thanks!! =D

#645 · (Edited)
Is this another Gulbistards mystery? :scared: I'm sorry but this reminds me of Scooby Doo, I watched it this morning together with my brother :lol:

Or maybe they discovered we're an organized voting group? :eek: Another possibility is that Maris has friends who hacked the website and stole Erno's votes! :lol:

Edit: That was very attentive of you, btw.

#650 ·
Interesting reading :)
The only thing that's still frustrating is that 'but' that has been following the 'he has it all' phrase :( Let's hope it won't be there next season. I'm already biting my nails waiting for the off-season to end.
;)

#651 ·
The most scary sentence to me is "He could be the No. 1 player in the world in a matter of two or three years. He could also be out of the Top 100 by the summer of 2009. (Neither would be surprising. It all depends on what is going on inside his head.)"
But still I would be surprised if he was out of the top 100 by next summer. From my point of view, this CANT be possible. I mean, he's not THAT erratic!

Anyway, I liked "the sky is the limit". A bit hyperbolic, but nice...

#652 ·
thanks! I love the article too.
this part is the scariest to me: "2009 is an absolutely huge year for the 20-year-old. Another 10 months with Gulbis stuck in neutral could cripple his confidence and make the concerns over whether or not he will actually live up to all the hype louder than they already are." I guess 2009 will be crucial in any way...

oh and can I add something: I miss him :tears: (I know I said I don't have time to miss him, but reading an article like this has a bad effect)

#655 ·
i read this article last night and i'm actually quite happy that we're still getting some erno write-ups even though the 2008 season is already over.i am quite nervous about the 2009 season though. but i would have to agree with you cath on this! this article also makes me miss ernests even more! law school is pretty taxing right now but i still find a lot of time to miss him..unfortunately..

#653 ·
Thanks for the post, Camilla! :yeah: Ricky Dimon is a huge fan of Ernie. I read his blog after he saw Ernie's USO match against Robredo. Totally bowled over. (Weren't we all?) Like any huge fan, he has very high expectations of Ernie and gets very disappointed with the bad results. So he makes some grim predictions to guard against disappointment IN CASE Ernie doesn't live up to expectations. :p On one hand he thinks "the sky is the limit" for Ernie and then on the other that he could be out of the top 100 within the year. C'mon, that's pretty wild. Ernie will have to be injured to lose his ranking that fast, or lose his mind (God forbid) :rolleyes: :tape: I'll pray that neither of those will happen.....

#658 ·
mmm... *me scratching my head* I find this news very strange. Moreover I cant find his name on the Heineken Open website (maybe its too early?)... while, as Cath said, it is still present in Kooyong. Couldnt it be possible that the journalist got confused and wrote something not precise?
However, I hope he will go to Kooyong: Z got the tickets, and of course Kooyong will be a great event even without Ernie...but, well, will it be the same?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.