Mens Tennis Forums banner

How will it look?

Endless Federer-Nadal debates

246K views 4K replies 607 participants last post by  Zverevdadiii 
#1 ·
Roger Federer reached all four slam finals in 2007, Nadal reached 3 finals and a quarter final.

Roger won the prestigious Tennis Masters Cup. We will have to wait to see if Nadal can win the WTF.

Federer won 8 titles in 2007, including 3 grand slams.

Nadal won 3 grand slams in 2010, including the prestigious RG Wimbledon double. He also won 3 slams in a row.

Both players had interesting slam draws. Federer had to beat world number two Rafael Nadal in Wimbledon final, and a very on fire Djokovic in the US Open. Nadal had to beat Bird Itch in Wimbledon final and a very tired Djokovitch in Us Open final.

2007 was probably Federers least impressive 3 slam season, 2010 was Nadals best season so far one would have to think.

So who had a better season?

Discuss.
The floor is yours. Have at it.

See less See more
#3,562 ·
Re: How long will it take for Nadal to be viewed as the GOAT?

Uncle Toni is leaving no stone unturned. Mass proselytization and hypnosis are just the tip of the iceberg.

#3,564 ·

He needs more non clay major titles to be considered as GOAT.
Right now he is just the best ever clay player.
3 Australian Open Finals (1 win)
5 Wimbledon Finals (2 wins)
3 USOpen Finals (2 wins)
-------
34 Hard Court Finals (won 16)
11 SLAM FINALS outside of Clay!!!
Olympic Gold Medal (on a freakin' Hardcourt!)
15 hardcourt Masters 1000...
5 Consecutive Wimbledon Finals
2 Indoor Hardcourt World-Tour Final Appearances

It's not as if he doesn't have success on other courts, it's only when u compare it to the amount of success that he's had on clay. If you took his clay achievements away from him he is STILL a Hall of Fame inductee. When it comes to comparing his success on clay to other surfaces he's not alone in coming up short, practically just about EVERYBODY pales in comparison on hard-courts compared to Rafa on clay.

#3,567 ·

Negative six years, ever since he destroyed Peakerer at Wimby :drool:
winning in 5 sets against a mono past his peak Federer is in no way destroying.
not even in the colorful world of a full blown Dulltard;)

#3,570 ·
I honestly believe that there are users on here who are intellectually dumb. If Nadal is not top 5 then who is..and no dont bring Federer who is Nadal's play thing..I cant believe some people thought Fed would beat Nadal at the AO..haha a total beatdown in front of Sampras and Laver..oh yes he is the GOAT am i right?

#3,593 ·
I thought Fed and Nadal had to face over 100 players not just each other. You guys are obsessed with the h2h between two guys.

If you look at overall winning percentage (against the whole fucking field not just each other) Fed is ahead on grass and hard and Nadal ahead on clay.

#3,599 ·
Guys, this story is getting too old. I see many new members which is a good thing I guess. You should've seen MTF back in 2006/07 :lol:. That was complete war between Fed fans and Rafa fans. WAR.

New tards, unfortunatelly are not as nearly as good as the old ones. So many funny people, but they got baned. Mods were much more 'serious' at that time. Gosh, there was so much shit going on. It would be funny if someone bumps those very old threads.

Nole was just 'born' in 2007 and then someone here actually mentioned the big 3 for the first time. If I remember correctly it was after Djokovic def. Roddick, Nadal and Federer in Montreal. The rest is history.

GlennMirnyi, Feldaman used to make us laugh but they did cross the line. They hated Nole and Rafa but they were funny. Oh, well, good old times.

#3,615 ·
Fedtarts live in the past. Which it was faster then now. I dont see the point of using that excuse. So it was faster. Things change.

Rackets change. Preparation changes. This shit if Rafa was in the 90´s bla bla bla. Hes here and now so deal with it. If Sampras was here bla bla bla, hes not hes retired. And hes been on record to saying Rafa was the best.

People here talk about stats and crap. Who are they to say or compare it? Who made them judge and jury?

When Agassi, Sampras , Mcenroe and Courier say that Rafa is the best who the hell are you to say otherwise? These are past greats with multiple Grandslams. But Fedtarts in deniyal.

Oh Rafa has a matchup advantage. Duh Why didnt Federer try something else. Like Nole did. And when Nole almost destroyed Rafas career ,Rafa came back with a diferente aproach. Thats what competitive Champions do. Adapt.

Reactions: Franie
#3,633 ·
Agassi, Mcenroe, Sampras, Courier think Nadal is GOAT?

what a load of bullshit, ONE of those 4 declared him best. McEnroe always uses the term "you could argue Nadal is best" which implies he's not convinced and Courier, Sampras are totally in Federer's corner despite admiration for Nadal.

#3,634 ·
It's funny because we never hear about all the greats who say Federer is Goat, i.e legends like Rod Laver, Navratilova

why do we never hear about their opinions or have new threads opened when someone calls Federer the GOAT? probably because you'd have over 200 threads open. But the Agassi/Nadal goat thread is cute.

#3,640 · (Edited)
If Federer wins Wimbledon then McEnroe will be back on his case again. That's just the way he works.

I also find it funny when people talk about Rafa beating Federer at Wimbledon, when it was 9-7 in the 5th and could have easily gone the other way in the 5th set. And I also assume that if Rafa beat Fed at Wimbledon in 2007 then "weak era" would be limited to 2004-2006.

And one more thing about peak/prime - they are different. For instance Federer's prime in my estimation was Wimbledon 2003 to Australian Open 2010, but his peak was Masters Cup 2003 to Masters Cup 2007. For Rafa, you could say his prime was spring 2006 to USO 2013, but his peak had some stops in it because of injuries (2008/early 2009, then spring/summer 2010, then 2013).

#3,642 ·
He already is But if 18 is won i have no problem those guys saying hes the GOAT. Because Rafa would need 4 and i just dont see it.

#3,646 ·
Btw, for the weak era lovers, just want to remind you of Federer's 2006 Wimbledon draw..

R128: Gasquet
R64: Henman
R32: Mahut
R16: Berdych
QF: Ancic
SF: Bjorkman
W: Nadal

#3,649 ·
Gasquet, Mahut, Berdych, and Ancic could all play on grass.

Regardless, nobody was beating Roger that tournament anyway, even if he had to go through the next 7 ranked players behind him consecutively.

#3,648 ·
I can't see Rafa getting more than 300 weeks at #1. Who knows whether he will even finish this year #1.

#3,664 ·
I'm a Davydenko fan ... i just happen to like Fed more than Nadal :shrug: I've said it countless times the moment Nadal wins 18th slam he is the insant GOAT... for now He's the ClayGOAT (by far) , Tier 3 legend outside of Clay , OVERALL (combined) this makes him Just behind Fed and equal to Sampras ... facts are facts

BY YOUR LOGIC , Fed spanked Davy ? I must HATE Fed and love Rafa (cause Davydenko is 6-5 against him) ... i just happen to not be biased (outside of my nutlicking of Nikolay)

#3,665 ·
:facepalm: at Nadalfans logic that everyone who is a Nadalhater is a Fedworshipper ...
I dislike Nadal for simple moral reasons ... just like everyone who dislikes him

#3,667 ·
:facepalm: at Nadalfans logic that everyone who is a Nadalhater is a Fedworshipper ...
I dislike Nadal for simple moral reasons ... just like everyone who dislikes him
:lol: Yeah, keep telling yourself that!

#3,674 ·
None of us know how much some of these pros actually follow the sport nowadays. For all we know a guy like McEnroe only watches the majors and gets the rest of his information second-hand.

And the topic of discussion isn't technique, because surely you would take a former pro's advice on that (unless it's someone like Mac with out-dated technique).... the topic is about being able to judge players' careers. I guarantee you that I and many other posters here watch more tennis than some former pros from the 80s and 90s.

#3,678 ·
Agassi's reasoning is so flawed, when he talks about Federer only separated himself from Hewitt and Roddick, while Nadal had to beat Federer, Djokovic and Murray

so basically, in his eyes, you have to have beaten the big 4 of today for your slams to count, someone should break it to Andre in that case, that none of his 8 slams count for shit then

someone should remind him that Hewitt & Safin battered Sampras almost into retirement in those back too back US Open finals, they certainly did better than Agassi did v Pete in US Open finals (0-3 record)

maybe people should remind Agassi of his 2001 & 2003 Australian Open titles where he barely faced a top 20 opponent to win them and beat Arnaud Clement and Rainer Schuettler in the Finals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.