Mens Tennis Forums banner

How will it look?

Endless Federer-Nadal debates

246K views 4K replies 607 participants last post by  Zverevdadiii 
#1 ·
Roger Federer reached all four slam finals in 2007, Nadal reached 3 finals and a quarter final.

Roger won the prestigious Tennis Masters Cup. We will have to wait to see if Nadal can win the WTF.

Federer won 8 titles in 2007, including 3 grand slams.

Nadal won 3 grand slams in 2010, including the prestigious RG Wimbledon double. He also won 3 slams in a row.

Both players had interesting slam draws. Federer had to beat world number two Rafael Nadal in Wimbledon final, and a very on fire Djokovic in the US Open. Nadal had to beat Bird Itch in Wimbledon final and a very tired Djokovitch in Us Open final.

2007 was probably Federers least impressive 3 slam season, 2010 was Nadals best season so far one would have to think.

So who had a better season?

Discuss.
The floor is yours. Have at it.

See less See more
#3,218 ·
Re: Is Federer still greater than Nadal after 2014 RG?

Sure, I still have more respect for Pete Rose and Michael Vick than Rafa but numbers don't lie. I thought he'd go away after Nole won so many finals against him. But he turned it around. Again ... today, 4 straight losses, and he beats Nole. The guy just does not cease to amaze

#3,225 ·

Nadal at this point still isnt greater than Sampras.
Sampras has the same slam count and is WAY more talented.
i would argue some other guys over Dull too but thats probably because i just think they were more talented and hate Dulls play style.
but to end the Fedal debate: take Feds best slam away and he has 10 slams remaining. take Dulls best slam away and he has 5 slams remaining
Next

Reactions: safin-rules-no.1
#3,237 ·

take Feds best slam away and he has 10 slams remaining. take Dulls best slam away and he has 5 slams remaining
Next
Why would one take them away, though?

#3,227 ·

GOAT discussions involves multiple things

Slams numbers matter. You can't say someone's better than another if they have more slams. Especially if everything else is equal on the other slam achievement (career slam for both). At least while Sampras had 6 more slams than Andre, with 5 of the 6 he beat Agassi along the way. Agassi has the career slam which Pete doesn't. Agassi and Sampras slam achievements are equal if not in number, of importance.

Rafa and Roger's slam achievements are NOT equal. Roger has won 3 more slams and made 4 more finals than Nadal and both have won the career slam. Rafa's 9th win today has officially made him better than Pete Sampras though. They have 14 slams each but he has the career slam while Pete doesn't

#3,231 · (Edited)

Rafa is the GOAT, Fed is the GAOAT (Greatest achiever of all time)

Of course if rafa only had won 2 slams in his career he couldnt make up for the difference of achievements. But rafa has already achieved the 82,3% of slams fed did and 83,3 slam finals.

The two have achieved things the other hasnt... But rafa wins are always more epic (he had to deal with prime nole and fed during the bulk of his slam tally) Fed only had to deal with baby rafa during the same period. The other good players werent enough consistent or headcases..

#3,236 ·

Fed is the GOAT by the way he plays. Talented all-courter with infinite repertoire of strokes. Nadal is clay GOAT with 3 strokes and dull game. His resume is so one sided it will always hurt him. Also how can be someone who can't dominate the tour be the best overall? :shrug:
Also last 2 years is the real weak era: Nole mentally down, Murray injured, Fed old and no one else to be seen. What's the competition right now?

#3,240 ·

Fed is the GOAT by the way he plays. Talented all-courter with infinite repertoire of strokes. Nadal is clay GOAT with 3 strokes and dull game. His resume is so one sided it will always hurt him. Also how can be someone who can't dominate the tour be the best overall? :shrug:
Also last 2 years is the real weak era: Nole mentally down, Murray injured, Fed old and no one else to be seen. What's the competition right now?
Hilariously arrogant statement.

#3,248 ·

Frauderer fans in ruins :lol:

#3,249 ·

Frauderer fans in ruins :lol:
Some of us are Djokovic and DelPo fans. Notice how between most of the fans there is one common hated player that tops the list. You guessed it, Nadal. The most defensive player the game has seen.

#3,250 ·

Federer is definitely greater. It could be different from your point of view. Federer is more versatile, has a better profile and has a natural tennis talent. Federer is the most aesthetic player I have ever seen.

Nadal is a natural clay-courter and has worked unbelievably to achieve what he has on the other surfaces.

I wish both end with 17/18 slams.

Rafa on Roger: "Roger is greater than me, if anyone says otherwise they clearly don't know tennis." :shrug:

#3,255 ·

Federer overall has more slams, but ain't no denying that Federer is ruled by Nadal. There are a multitude of stats and factors that need to be compared to truly see.

#3,264 · (Edited)

The greatest player of all time doesnt lose to his chief rival 23 tmes with a measly 10 wins....laughable.

And for every WTF that Fed fans want to all the sudden add value to, how about we remember how many Gold medals and Davis Cups Fed has won.

The only player to every win a major for 10 straight years!! The only player to win any particular slam 9 times!! The only player that has a winning record over all of his chief rivals!! The player with the most Masters titles!!

I know Fed has a ton of "the only player blah blah" too- its just that w.Fed fans (and rafa haters) they instantly devalue any stats that Rafa has an edge in as meaningless, all the while adding more value and weight to the ones that Fed has an edge in.

The greatest career of all time= Federer
The greatest pkayer of all time= Nadal

#3,272 · (Edited)
Is Federer still greater than Nadal after 2014 RG?

Fedtards logic and projection for the future:

17 > 11 dull will never win another slam
17 > 12 dull will never win another slam

17 > 13 dull will never win another slam

17 > 14 dull will never win another slam

17 > 15 dull will never win another slam

17 > 16 dull will never win another slam

17 = 17 dull will never win another slam

17 < 18 end of fedtardism

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#3,274 ·

Nadal needs to get to 17 slams before we can have this discussion. For now he is still 3 slams short.

#3,276 ·

Nadal needs to get to 17 slams before we can have this discussion. For now he is still 3 slams short.
End of the discussion. But I don´t think that Nadal pass Federer because I hope that Fed can win two or three Slams more

#3,281 ·

Rafa keeps winning FO for 1000 times but i did not see one match from him to be compelling during whole tournament . Murray is a Shit on clay,Ferrer just gave up . It was sad final that could not make me sit on my rear for a long time. Where are the new young guys to challenge Rafa? All of them were in other half of draw to challenge Federer and Djokovic ?! The best match of FO was Gulbis vs Federer! It is sad for the game really ! Sport means competition and there was not such

#3,289 ·

Question is who determines the GOAT? Is it us? We can go deep, considering all kind of stats...titles, eras, records, h2h, remembering who was injured, how got bad draw. Layers after layers we can dig and argue.

But there is general public opinion and media who will have the main voice and you can consider some stuff like this as well:
Fed attracting the most spectators (in US he was no 1 after Agassi retired, Nadal got his share in last years)
Fed was voted 2nd most respected person in world after Mandela (I know it is strange stuff but it shows what support he has)
Fed is one the most earning athletes in world (2nd to Woods, while Nadal was like 35th)
Fed is the highest ranked athlete people are the most obsessed in Internet (no 18 overall, Nadal at 31)

This is the kind of stuff that shows you how is he viewed by general public. He represents the sport and in the eyes of public he is the GOAT. I don't think this would just change if Nadal wins his 17th. Even then we would have lot of discussions about the numbers and importance of different achievements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.