Mens Tennis Forums banner

2009 Chameleon Hardcourt Season Thread [Part I]

59K views 3K replies 60 participants last post by  isabelle86 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to the official parking space for hardcourt tournament commentary (and livescoring too!) for Rotterdam, Marseille, Dubai, Indian Wells, and Miami.

*at present, there doesn't appear to be a good summary title for this awkard time in the calendar. For right now, it's going to be a "chameleon" thread and I'll change the name for each tournament in the series of 5. If we haven't come up with something by the end, I'll wrap it up with 2009 Hardcourt Season Thread [Part 1] (or something similar) for archival purposes.

ABN AMRO WORLD TENNIS TOURNAMENT
Rotterdam Main Draw:

Rafael Nadal [ESP/1] vs. Simone Bolelli [ITA]
Grigor Dimitrov [BUL] vs. Tomas Berdych [CZE]
Qualifier vs. Dimitry Tursunov [RUS]
Jesse Huta Galung [NED/WC] vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga [FRA/7]

Nikolay Davydenko [RUS/3] vs. Igor Andreev [RUS]
Julien Benneteau [FRA] vs. Feliciano Lopez [ESP]
Ivo Karlovic [CRO] vs. Michael Llodra [FRA]
Qualifier vs. Gael Monfils [FRA/5]

Ferrer, David [ESP/6] vs. Jurgen Melzer [AUT]
Qualifier vs. Mikhail Youzhny [RUS]
Rainer Schuettler [GER] vs. Mario Ancic [CRO]
Philipp Kohlschreiber [GER] vs. Gilles Simon [FRA/4]

Robin Soderling [SWE/8] vs. Qualifier
Richard Gasquet [FRA] vs. Paul-Henri Mathieu [FRA]
Thiemo De Bakker [NED/WC] vs. Andreas Seppi [ITA]
Ivan Ljubicic [CRO] vs. Andy Murray [GBR/2]

Qualifying Draw:
Marc Gicquel [FRA/1] vs. Matwe Middelkoop [NED/WC]
Laurent Recouderc [FRA] vs. Olivier Rochus [BEL/5]

Teimuraz Gabashvili [RUS/2] vs. Santiago Giraldo [COL]
Stephane Bohli [SUI] vs. Benjamin Becker [GER/7]

Arnaud Clement [FRA/3] vs. Danai Udomchoke [THA]
Josselin Ouanna [FRA] vs. Mathieu Montcourt [FRA/8]

Sergiy Stakhovsky [UKR/4] vs. Justin Eleveld [NED/WC]
Ignacio Coll-Riudavets [ESP/WC] vs. Evgeny Korolev [RUS/6]

Let’s see how well I do with taking the month of February off… Allez Gillou!!!! :yeah:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 2009 Winter Indoor Hardcourt Season Thread

He will probably be seeded 4

#4 ·
Re: 2009 Hardcourt Season Thread

It makes sense to group those five tourneys together since they're following each other and belong to the same part of the season (even though we can't define it). As for the US/Asian hardcourt tourneys after the clay and grass season, I guess it will make sense to start a new thread by then, for it will be "another" Gillou in another situation (ranking & form wise).

#8 ·
Re: 2009 Chameleon Hardcourt Season Thread: Rotterdam

The draw is being made today isn't it? Does anyone know if we're going to be able to get live streaming of it?

#9 ·

His draw:
[1] Rafael Nadal (ESP) - Simone Bolelli (ITA)
[WC] Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) - Tomas Berdych (CZE)
Qualifier - Dmitry Tursunov (RUS)
[WC] Jesse Huta Galung (NED) - [7] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)

[3] Nikolay Davydenko (RUS) - Igor Andreev (RUS)
Julien Benneteau (FRA) - Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
Ivo Karlovic (CRO) - Michael Llodra (FRA)
Qualifier - [5] Gael Monfils (FRA)

[6] David Ferrer (ESP) - Jurgen Melzer (AUT)
Qualifier - Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
Rainer Schuettler (GER) - Mario Ancic (CRO)
Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) - [4] Gilles Simon (FRA)

[8] Robin Soderling (SWE) - Qualifier
Richard Gasquet (FRA) - Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)
[WC] Thiemo de Bakker (NED) - Andreas Seppi (ITA)
Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) - [2] Andy Murray (GBR)

#15 ·

What happened in 2007 Rotterdam? Did Gilles retire on injury?
I wonder if Gilles or Tutu will give a call to Santoro to get a few pointers on Kohli's present state of form and game.

#17 ·

He had a problem with his leg in Rotterdam in 2007. I've wondered about this withdrawal just a few days after Marseille, but somebody who was attending the match told me that his team actually wanted him to retire earlier in the match. But he was stubborn and kept on playing.
As for the Dubai match a few days later, I saw it and Kohli was quite terrible, Gilles didn't need to do much.

#19 ·

Sounds like a good draw for Gilles all round. I'm looking forward to the tournament. Let's hope he does well

#21 ·

He's playing with Tursonov??? That's a strange pairing. Thought he might have played with Chardy or Monfils or even Tsonga. Still, good luck to him and I'm glad he's giving the doubles a go. It'll be a tough one though!

#22 ·

Jérémy isn't playing Rotterdam, his ranking isn't good enough.
Gilles used to play with the entire ATP tour in doubles when I started following him (Gabashvili, Allegro, Montanes, Hrbaty, Russel, Navarro, Zverev...), the continuous teaming up with other Frenchies like Jo, Gaël, Jim etc. is quite new.
Some Frenchies really seem to play (and even practice) only with other Frenchies, but not Gilles.

#23 ·

Gilles and Dima pairing should be interesting,I wouldn't mind seeing them playing together:drool: I've watched Dima play doubles a lot,he won't change anything,I know Gilles will experiment at least. Such a shame they've drawn Nestor and Zimonjic,but its all experience. Best of luck guys,try and enjoy it,have fun,make it last;)

Dima actually won the doubles in Rotterdam last year with Berdych(I thought that was an unlikely pairing too but somehow they gelled the whole week. I remember that because it was when I first started posting here on MTF(having lurked for 3 months):lol:

#25 ·

I didn't realise that Fran. Something new for me to add to my information about Gilles. I'm only a new Simontard so I'm learning all the time. Thanks for that :)

#28 ·

That's only for Slams, they don't schedule one half of the draw on one day and the other half the next day in smaller events. But since Gilles will arrive in Rotterdam today only, I don't think he will play tomorrow already.

(As for Ted, he had stopped posting here before the AO already, don't worry about having possibly chased him away with the talk in the pics thread.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.