Mens Tennis Forums banner

Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

648K views 5K replies 540 participants last post by  R 
#1 · (Edited)

this will become the mother of all sports quests in modern sports. it will be known going forward simply as "The Quest".

can he snatch a total of 100 titles before he hangs up his racquets? is that a viable goal for him to have?

and also what about 20 slams now that 17 are in the bag?

i know he wants slams but slams dont come easy after 30. he will be one of the exceptions obviously if it happens. where do you see his best chance at another slam? could it be on the u.s. open surface?

somebody won a french open at 31 for instance? what was his name? that is your question of the day. here is a hint: he was 6 foot 5 and he was a left hander.

muscles (rosewall) was making the finals of slams at some ridiculous old age. so if you have the talent and you can keep up on the fitness front you can certainly show up in the finals of slams.

See less See more
#211 ·
Re: The Century King : 100 Titles For The Great Swiss Assassin

wtf is a done deal for him. make sure to bump this thread when it happens.
A 7th Tennis Masters Cup/World Tour Finals for him? :eek: Woah, he's definitely breaking records left right and centre.

#213 · (Edited)

Anyway CD I didn't mean he can't win titles on different surfaces... the guy has won Hamburg 4 times and has been in 5 RG finals, that's because he is extremely talented and can adapt his game (he's also quite honest in saying that he's been helped by surface homogenization).

I think he can win 3/4 titles in the remaining part of the season, unfortunately he won't play many more tournaments indoors. (I am quite sure he'll skip Bercy, since in three consecuitive week he's got Basel, Bercy, WTF)

I think it's a bit too early to predict how many titles he'll snatch next season, but just to make a guess I say between 3 and 5 titles.

I've got another record he might target: he currently shares this one with Connors as being the only player to win 9 titles on Hard, Grass and Clay, he needs only one more clay title to be the first with 10 titles on clay, grass and hard. I really hope he can snatch a clay title somewhere before the end of his career.

Madrid Masters might be the right one, I hope he plays it this year but I heard in an interview he has still to decide which big clay tournaments to play (also in a video for an Italian newspaper they asked him if he's going to play Rome: he answered he should, but it didn't sound 100% sure of being there). I think he's planning even more carefully this year: he wants that Olympic gold in singles badly, he wants to make sure he peaks for Wimbledon/Olympics and not getting tired before.

#215 ·

Anyway CD I didn't mean he can't win titles on different surfaces... the guy has won Hamburg 4 times and has been in 5 RG finals, that's because he is extremely talented and can adapt his game (he's also quite honest in saying that he's been helped by surface homogenization).

I think he can win 3/4 titles in the remaining part of the season, unfortunately he won't play many more tournaments indoors. (I am quite sure he'll skip Bercy, since in three consecuitive week he's got Basel, Bercy, WTF)

I think it's a bit too early to predict how many titles he'll snatch next season, but just to make a guess I say between 3 and 5 titles.

I've got another record he might target: he currently shares this one with Connors as being the only player to win 9 titles on Hard, Grass and Clay, he needs only one more clay title to be the first with 10 titles on clay, grass and hard. I really hope he can snatch a clay title somewhere before the end of his career.

Madrid Masters might be the right one, I hope he plays it this year but I heard in an interview he has still to decide which big clay tournaments to play (also in a video for an Italian newspaper they asked him if he's going to play Rome: he answered he should, but it didn't sound 100% sure of being there). I think he's planning even more carefully this year: he wants that Olympic gold in singles badly, he wants to make sure he peaks for Wimbledon/Olympics and not getting tired before.

excellent post manadrainer. affirmative on all accounts. gold is a possibility and it counts as a title.

#216 ·

some people are saying that #73 could happen as early as indian wells or at the miami masters. he has won 32 of his last 34 matches if i am not mistaken.

its best of 3 sets folks. you know anything can happen in such a foremat.

any takers?

as for me, my prediction for indian wells is in place. i still think murray is going to pull it off.

#217 ·

some people are saying that #73 could happen as early as indian wells or at the miami masters. he has won 32 of his last 34 matches if i am not mistaken.

its best of 3 sets folks. you know anything can happen in such a foremat.

any takers?

as for me, my prediction for indian wells is in place. i still think murray is going to pull it off.
I don't think he can snatch #73 at Indian Wells CD, the surface doesn't suit his game, however if he has a favourable draw and some early upsets (Maybe a rusty Rafa?) anything can happen.

However on these courts I favour Nole, Rafa and even Murray over Fed.

Reactions: leng jai
#219 · (Edited)

Fed is not favourite at IW but if he gets some luck with the draw and he plays well, it's possible he can win.
I cannot see him beating two of top 4 back to back, especially in consecutive days. Also, we have to consider he goes into IW after having played Rotterdam and Dubai in three weeks, an exho in NYC - the other coast of US basically. With the jet lag and the the fact that the surface is going to be very different from Dubai, this is a hard ask of a 31 yr old, even if its Roger.
He needs some real luck with the draw and hope for some upsets early on. And of course, play very well.
Fingers crossed though, maybe the stars will align themselves ;)

#220 ·

That's the thing though, he may not neeed to beat 2 out of the Top 4. He may not even need to beat one (that is rather optimistic. If DelPo falls in Nadal's quarter, I am sure he can give him a run for his money. I am also sure Davydenko is bad R2 or R3 match-up for Nadal as well. I quite confident Fed can do sth against Djoke - look at last year when Djoko was flying and Fed, to me, did not play as well as still almost took him out of IW in the SF.

#222 ·

He can do it - 10 more of Basel, Rotterdam and Dubai and the GOAT will achieve the impossible.

#224 ·

Olderer hasnt been a factor in iw/miami since 2006, there is no theseway he is winning either of
these titles. His best chance is cinci/paris indoors/basel etc

#225 ·

Olderer hasnt been a factor in iw/miami since 2006, there is no theseway he is winning either of
these titles. His best chance is cinci/paris indoors/basel etc
I would also give him an excellent chance in Madrid especially if it is true that Rafael Nadal is not going to play there.
It's the new blue clay. He won there in 2009, and lost to Nadal in 2010 and 2011.

Also Halle has to be included as well. He's won 5 out of the last 6 times he's played there.

And I wouldn't dismiss him from the Olympics, or Wimbledon, or the US Open, but it would be clearly more difficult, as any slam is for anybody (except maybe Nadal at Roland Garros).

Respectfully,
masterclass

#228 ·

based on this draw, fed has a chance here but my prediction is murray for the title.

if fed can get into the final then obviously he may just have his chances. we will just have to see.

i think murray is going to show that he has gained significant ground on no-djok.

This post has been deleted
#233 ·

28 titles in 5 or 6 years?

Is it do-able?

that means about 4 to 5 titles a year. I think he can.

#235 ·

28 titles in 5 or 6 years?

Is it do-able?

that means about 4 to 5 titles a year. I think he can.
are you inane do you really think when federer is 35 years old he will win more titles than he did when he was 29/30 p/year? that is just ridiculous man!

obviously the 100 count is astronomical amount to forecast and won't happen but claydeath has accomplished a very sucessfull jinx thread that has gotten lots of attention

#237 ·

well my prediction of murray winning the title at indian wells went up in smoke tonight.

and now for my 2nd prediction then:

Fed for the title here at indian wells. i say the probability of another Fed title just went up.now he will easily be the best prepared going into the final. his only hurdle might be the clay warrior. he gets over that one, he has a good chance in the final.

any non-believers out there?

#240 ·

well my prediction of murray winning the title at indian wells went up in smoke tonight.

and now for my 2nd prediction then:

Fed for the title here at indian wells. i say the probability of another Fed title just went up.now he will easily be the best prepared going into the final. his only hurdle might be the clay warrior. he gets over that one, he has a good chance in the final.

any non-believers out there?
Murray was never the problem for Federer here. His odds of winning are just as small as they were before the Murray debacle.

#238 ·

Court plays too slow for Fed to win against both Rafa and Nole. He will probably defend his points.

#241 ·

100 is asking alot but he would have to have a couple of real good seasons for it to be realistic. I reckon he will end on about 85

#249 ·

i am making my final prediction for the indian wells title.

say hello to title #73 for fed at indian wells.

if he gets into the final, he is taking home the title and i dont care who is on the other side of the net.

who is brave enough to join me with this shocking prediction?

#251 ·

Fed is sick.
He'll be lucky to get past del Po. Nadal and Nole don't look near 100%, but Fed won't beat Nadal in the semi, if they both make it that far.

If Fed's draw is something like Istomin, Nalbandian, Almagro/Isner, then he can win, but the stars simply won't align.

Nadal looking good for this title, methinks. Hope to see Isner make it far too.

#252 ·

not too sure about the clay warrior. i thought he was pathetic today.

and worse, he wont give up his cowardly ways of waging war on the court. his return of serve is worse than ever and he cant stop running around his backhand to hit forehands. that shit wont fly tomorrow. there is a reason why his backhand is hopeless now: he is 1/2 scared to death of hitting one.

i can see nalFATian taking him down.

#253 ·

not too sure about the clay warrior. i thought he was pathetic today.

and worse, he wont give up his cowardly ways of waging war on the court. his return of serve is worse than ever and he cant stop running around his backhand to hit forehands. that shit wont fly tomorrow. there is a reason why his backhand is hopeless now: he is 1/2 scared to death of hitting one.

i can see nalFATian taking him down.
Interesting point. I notice Federer is not afraid to hit backhands these days. The court is so slow he can run around a lot of things, but when he gets the backhand, he drives it, not slices it.
Probably the best shot for these conditions, but it's giving that shot a lot more practice...

#255 ·

well we all see things differently mountaindewslave.

i just dont like what i see from him. in fact, i see zero improvements in his game in almost 2 years now.

we will be ok on clay obviously but he is horrible on hard courts. and to be brutally honest, he is going to have to go forward on clay as well.

he is just not going forward enough to show some initiative. his return needs to improve asap if he is to even just defend his points here.

#256 ·

Ok, I'd try to be objective here. 100% neutral.

I do believe Federer is sick and his form isn't as good as Dubai's for that reason, however, I think he'll recover for an eventual Semi-Final.

I, as a FedFan, think it's very difficult for Fed to take this title, but I didn't believe he would won Dubai either, so, anything can happen.
I think he can show a beast form vs Delpo and win the match, like in AO, but if he plays like today, I see Delpo taking the QF. I give him 50% chances to win over JMDP, and I think that's not a bad number, i'm ok with 50% chances there. (If he plays like Dubai final or Rotterdam's, that number increases to 80%).

Well then, now, Nadal - Nalbandian QF.
Rafa is playing good, or, at least, "not-bad". It's true that his opponents weren't so good, but he had not so many UEs, and that's always important in HC.
Nalbandian is pumped, beating 2 top ten players is really important for him, after several injury-years, he's finally making a big run on the tour. He knows how to beat Rafa and his game is working well.
However, Rafa is Rafa, and if he just plays the way he knows to do it, Nalby is cooked in 2 easy sets. David needs to lower the Unforced-erros number. He's making so many of them. If he wants to beat Nadal, he needs to improve that number.
I give Nadal a 75% chances of winning his QF match. However: Don't count Nalby out.
You can NEVER count Nalbandian out.

In case of a Fedal SF, I really see Rafa winning that match.
Even if Roger improves his tennis level, we all know Rafa is his Nemesis and has the weapons to win over him.
But we all know how Roger is, he can have a JesusFed level match, and we can't count him out either. I give Nadal a 75% chances of beating Roger here.

Now. If Roger plays Djokovic in the Final, he will win.
And i'm 100% seriously here. A Fed - Nole match, is for Federer this time.

So... I can't agree with you in this one CD.
I see Fed with a 50% chance of beating Delpo.
And a 25% chance of beating Rafa.
Of course, it's possible. If those things happen, I really see him winning the final, but I can't see that scenario.

I see Nadal getting this trophy.

#257 ·

Ok, I'd try to be objective here. 100% neutral.

I do believe Federer is sick and his form isn't as good as Dubai's for that reason, however, I think he'll recover for an eventual Semi-Final.

I, as a FedFan, think it's very difficult for Fed to take this title, but I didn't believe he would won Dubai either, so, anything can happen.
I think he can show a beast form vs Delpo and win the match, like in AO, but if he plays like today, I see Delpo taking the QF. I give him 50% chances to win over JMDP, and I think that's not a bad number, i'm ok with 50% chances there. (If he plays like Dubai final or Rotterdam's, that number increases to 80%).

Well then, now, Nadal - Nalbandian QF.
Rafa is playing good, or, at least, "not-bad". It's true that his opponents weren't so good, but he had not so many UEs, and that's always important in HC.
Nalbandian is pumped, beating 2 top ten players is really important for him, after several injury-years, he's finally making a big run on the tour. He knows how to beat Rafa and his game is working well.
However, Rafa is Rafa, and if he just plays the way he knows to do it, Nalby is cooked in 2 easy sets. David needs to lower the Unforced-erros number. He's making so many of them. If he wants to beat Nadal, he needs to improve that number.
I give Nadal a 75% chances of winning his QF match. However: Don't count Nalby out.
You can NEVER count Nalbandian out.

In case of a Fedal SF, I really see Rafa winning that match.
Even if Roger improves his tennis level, we all know Rafa is his Nemesis and has the weapons to win over him.
But we all know how Roger is, he can have a JesusFed level match, and we can't count him out either. I give Nadal a 75% chances of beating Roger here.

Now. If Roger plays Djokovic in the Final, he will win.
And i'm 100% seriously here. A Fed - Nole match, is for Federer this time.

So... I can't agree with you in this one CD.
I see Fed with a 50% chance of beating Delpo.
And a 25% chance of beating Rafa.
Of course, it's possible. If those things happen, I really see him winning the final, but I can't see that scenario.

I see Nadal getting this trophy.

i hear ya old friend. at least we agree one part of this deal: fed is trouble for them if he recovers fast and finds himself in the final.

he is on a bit of a roll now so he is somewhat relaxed even when he is down. he manages to find a way.

also fed is the only one there right now who can take the ball early and take time away from them. both d-pot and clay warrior need more time to execute their options.

no-djok is quicker than both d-pot and the clay warrior and also has a formidable hard court game so fed will have to play great tennis to gun him down. i think he may have his chances in that possible final. he just has to make it happen.

andujar could have taken down no-djok today had he done a better job of taking care of his serve in the 3rd set and also capitalized on his break point opportunities. he almost had him.

fed is probably not going to make those types of mistakes in the final. he will be much harder to break for instance. he is on a roll so he could ride this wave just a little longer.

#258 ·

CD: Roger is sick as a dog and you need to be 100% physically speaking to beat Rafa and Nole so it isn't happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.