Mens Tennis Forums banner

Vasek Pospisil

268K views 3K replies 111 participants last post by  Brad1973 
#1 · (Edited)
#1,755 ·
http://www.tenniscanada.com/index.php?title=TEBBUTT:-A-MATTER-OF-DISPUTE&pid=4929

TEBBUTT: A MATTER OF DISPUTE

Officiating in any sport is an imperfect art, and Vasek Pospisil had an up-close and personal encounter with that reality during the completion of his US Open first-round match on Tuesday.

At 10-all in the fifth set tiebreak, his opponent Rogerio Dutra Silva of Brazil returned a serve and the ball seemed to land long and was called out by the linesperson.

At that point, umpire Mohamed El Jennati of Morocco decided to intervene and over-rule, declaring that the ball had landed good. Pospisil was astounded by El Jennati’s decision.

He vigorously protested but he wasn’t going to get anywhere and resigned himself to replaying the point. After a rally, he missed a forehand just wide and then lost the match on the following point when he popped a backhand volley wide of an open court.

Leaving the court, Pospisil had harsh words for El Jennati as he walked past his chair leaving the court. Asked about the ‘controversy,’ he declared, “there’s no controversy, just a clear mistake by the umpire, a huge mistake. The ball was two or three inches long (see top). I mean there was no doubt about anything. I’m turning and he’s over-ruling and calling it in. Something has to be done about a mistake like that. At 10-all in the fifth set tiebreak, to over-rule on the baseline is absolutely terrible.”

There were lots of side stories to the match, none more important than that Pospisil held seven match points – three when he had Dutra Silva at love-40 when the Brazilian served at 5-6 in the final set, and four more in the ensuing tiebreak.

“It’s a disappointing end for sure,” Pospisil said about the denouement. “I had the match in my hands more than once and let it slip.”

It was a heart-breaker for Pospisil, who was pretty well inconsolable in his post-match media conference. But there definitely were chances on the match points – a poor backhand service return in the net at 9-8 in the tiebreak and a nervy forehand wide at 10-9 were obvious golden opportunities in a match that finally ended 4-6, 3-6, 7-6(9), 6-2, 7-6(10) for the 29-year-old Brazilian qualifier.

Referring back to the over-rule at 10-10, Pospisil said, “I heard the linesperson call the ball out and I would have been shocked if they hadn’t because the ball was clearly out. I was in a state of shock, anger. I’ve never experienced an over-rule like that at such a stage in a match, especially in a Grand Slam. That doesn’t excuse the opportunities I didn’t convert leading up to that point but that would have been another match point – maybe I would have gotten that one.”

Tuesday’s play was a resumption of the match postponed by rain on Monday night with Pospisil (his support group is above) leading two sets to one but trailing 4-0 in the fourth set.

He broke serve to 3-2 in the third set and then held a 4-2 lead and served for the match at 5-4. But by that time he was feeling the effects of a very humid afternoon and evening. “I was tired,” Pospisil admitted on Tuesday about the late-going in the third set. “Yesterday was so humid, I sweated through about eight shirts. I was completely drained and at the end of the third set I stopped serving well.

“I had nothing in my legs and I could feel that my body was going downhill and obviously early in the fourth set that showed and I couldn’t move and I went into full cramps. But I felt better today (Tuesday) for sure. The match just didn’t go my way.

“The cramps started in my legs and they were just going everywhere to my wrist, both legs, both quads, right hamstring – basically I couldn’t move.

“I think it was because I was completely depleted on electrolytes – when I play in humid conditions it’s something that’s always a danger for me. Yesterday was so humid, in the third game of the first set I was sweating all over the court and I was slipping on my own sweat already. That was not a good sign right from the start.

“Maybe I need to find a better solution, find out what I’m losing on the court because physically in hot and dry conditions I feel like I can go seven sets. I don’t feel like it’s a physical issue – it’s obviously something that I’m missing mineral wise.”

It was a missed occasion because Pospisil would have played Rafael Nadal in the second round. In fact, if he had managed to finish off Dutra Silva on Monday, he was definitely slated for a Wednesday night match in Arthur Ashe Stadium against the Spaniard.

“I put a little bit of extra pressure on myself, I wanted to play Rafa in the second round,” he admitted. “That maybe tied my hands a little bit. That’s something you can’t really do – you can’t look forward. You’ve got to go one match at a time. There’s no doubt I didn’t take my chances and I didn’t get lucky either. That’s just the way it goes.”

Asked if he was still diminished on Tuesday after having an ice bath and not leaving the tournament site on Monday night until 1 a.m. on Tuesday, Pospisil said, “I felt like that if I wasn’t struggling physically I would have closed him out in three sets. I think that I was the better player 90 per cent of the time. I definitely gave him an opportunity because he got two quick sets basically for free. Then anything can happen in the fifth set – it’s adrenaline and crowd and he’s playing for his second round showing at the US Open.

“I didn’t go into cramps in the third set – but I was just feeling exhausted and I could just feel I would go into cramps soon. So, I took a long bathroom break. I don’t know if that was the right move or not. I was getting tired and I wasn’t getting up on my serve and I stopped making my serves in the third set.”

I spoke briefly to Dutra Silva and he said about the 10-all in the tiebreak controversy, “actually there was noise from the crowd and I didn’t hear the call from the umpire. But I just play and try to win. I just did my job. I’m happy to win today and enjoy the second round – the third year in a row.”

He added that playing Nadal would be “an unbelievable experience. I’m 29 but I feel like I’m young. I played against Djokovic last year and to play this year against Nadal is unbelievable for my career and my experience.”

Asked about what made the difference in the two-day match that lasted a total of just over four hours, he answered, “no idea. I didn’t think about the seven match points. Yesterday I was too confused because I was actually near to win the match and it starts to rain. To be seven match points down and win this match was unbelievable.”

To add some perspective here, I have spoken to several people (from Canada, France etc.) about the umpire of Tuesday’s match – Mohamed El Jennati – and the general consensus is that he is not one of the tour’s finest. Let’s leave it at that.

For now, Pospisil will play doubles with Daniel Nestor – they are unseeded and will play Mahesh Bhupathi and Philipp Petschner in their opening round.

#1,764 ·
Whoa, just looked at Vasek's fall schedule - he is signed up to play 6 weeks in a row!

DC-> Metz -> Malaysia -> Beijing -> Shanghai -> Vienna

Assuming he's going to pull out of at least one of these ... unless he loses everything in 1st &/or 2nd round. Anyways, now is his time to consolidate his top-40 position .. he's going to get in some of these seeded & has almost no points to defend.

#1,766 ·
#1,769 ·
#1,770 ·
Not playing the important points well at all. Had 6 break points to Delbonis's one and lost all six; then went down handily in both tie breaks, two and one. Lost to a decent clay courter on an indoor court - this can't happen if he wants to stick around at his new found ranking. Guess he is only around a world no. 65 in truth, not no. 40. (didn't watch the match, maybe his ankle is not healed?)

#1,771 ·
Pospisil should win this match; had a feeling he'd be in with a real chance the way he was knocking on the door in each of Ferrer's service games in the first set (and breaking once). Ferrer's a down a tiny bit in level but still very, very solid, so this will be a excellent win.

#1,772 ·
Vasek is teaming up with Lindstedt for doubles at Shanghai ... if they win their R1 match they play Nestor/Paes ...
Wonder if that will be awkward for poor Daniel ... his split with Lindstedt late this year had to unpleasant (heck, they had a real chance at London doubles WTF) ... Lindstedt sounded really ticked off. And after Vasek said he'd love to play more with Daniel after DC, Nestor said he wasn't sure they could get in tourney's with their rankings ... sounds fishy to me. Anyways, good luck Vashy ... cause with a little bit of luck, the partnership with Lindstedt could get him some really good results during this last part of the season.

#1,774 ·
Really good win by Vashy. A little wobble serving for the set and the match but held his nerve. Very impressive in serving 3 aces and a good first serve to close out the match. Convert both break points and that's all he needed. Gasquet was not at his best but Vashy pretty much controlled the whole match with his aggressive forehand.

#1,779 ·
I think it's cool that Vasek has some decent doubles skill. He could be a decent doubles player if he goes full time at it (cue, when he's in his 30s). I think it's also cool that he's top 40 now and he's a regular at these ATP events. Nice to see 2 Canucks playing at this level. I mean, we haven't seen this since the days of Lareau and Nestor in the 90s but this is even better, both Milos and Vasek are better players!

#1,781 ·
Nice win over Hewitt yesterday ... and nice to see him win a TB .. even holding off two SPs. Has a chance at Semis if he plays to his capabilities.

Also, he'll be teaming with Nestor at both Basel & Paris. Would love them to do some deep runs here and get his doubles ranking up to where he can get seeded into ATP tourney's when he wants to play.

#1,787 ·
Today's match was really frustrating and he could have/should have won in straights. He starts off so well and seems to either lose focus, tighten up or lose confidence. Some of his shots aren't smart, he does like to run around his backhand on the ad side and hit crosscourt forehand like Milos but he doesn't have the pace Milos does and ends up leaving the court open. And really, his backhand is a good, reliable shot, there is no need to run around it.

I hope he's working with a shrink. I don't know if he has enough killer instinct to reach a higher ranking.

#1,789 ·
Makes his first SF in a 500 event :bounce:

Not the best quality match but he upped his game later in 2nd set and managed to serve out the match with his second MP. Partially thanks to Dodig.

First serve was way down but Dodig did nothing to his second serve today. Even managed to return his second serve into the net on the second MP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.