Mens Tennis Forums banner

RG: Announces it will seed according to ranking

7K views 109 replies 62 participants last post by  Federer in 2 
#1 ·
Nadal likely to be seeded 5. Interview with Gilbert Ysern, Roland Garros director, in L'Equipe today. Via @bluemathilde, he says:

"What we've thought for Rafa was to seed him #1, not #2, #3 or #4 because he's the best player in the history of the tournament ever. We thought it would be a great tribute to him, but many people discussed about it and it unfortunately became an awful mud. So we decided to keep the normal top seeds. To be really clear, I want to add that Rafa never, never asked for anything on this subject "
Seems like they'll have to rig the draw instead then, to avoid Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all in the same half! That would be the nightmare scenario - Ferrer and Murray in one half alone would be a travesty!

#2 ·
Seems like they'll have to rig the draw instead then, to avoid Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all in the same half! That would be the nightmare scenario - Ferrer and Murray in one half alone would be a travesty!
Would be a huge chance for whoever else is in that half to reach the final. Either that or Ferrer reaches the final, but that doesn't seem too likely still.

#4 ·
Nadal likely to be seeded 5. Interview with Gilbert Ysern, Roland Garros director, in L'Equipe today. Via @bluemathilde, he says:

That draw would be the most unbalanced thing I've ever seen. But the TD would never let that happen. We'll have a draw similar to Madrid's.

#21 ·
tbh, the first person to suggest it should be done was Guy Forget (memmber of Fo committee) and I doubt he did it to protect nadal as he can't stand him (has always been on Fed's side).
anyway, it's the best decision.it would have been unfair to some other players to change the seeding

#12 ·
Good decision. But it still means they are gonna rig the draw.

Look at it this way: Whoever is #2 is guaranteed to be on the opposite side to Djokovic's. In addition, Nadal is guaranteed to be on the opposite side to Djokovic's. So Nadal and the #2 will be in the same half, which makes it extremely unfortunate for Murray as he will 99% be #2 by RG. That leaves Federer and Ferrer as #3 and #4. Maybe they'll choose to place Federer in Djokovic's half then. I sure hope so.

#16 ·
I think thats the best thing.

The best player can win the tournament from any position.

A Djokovic- Nadal Quarterfinal would be not so good but it is only 25% likely to happen.

#66 ·
The ITF rules allow Grand Slam tournament organisers to change the seeds, as long as they take the ATP rankings into account.

The discussion was whether RG organisers should avail themselves of that rule or not. They decided against it. But they could have done it according to the existing ITF rules.

#35 ·
Best tennis news in a while :rocker2:

Nadal-Nole QF pleeeeeaaaasseee! :drool:

#44 ·
«Au vu de ce que représente Nadal à Paris, soit le meilleur joueur de l’histoire du tournoi, il nous apparaissait incongru qu’il arrive ici avec le dossard 4 ou 5.» La décision a finalement été prise de ne pas intervenir dans l'ordre des têtes de série. «Le mal était fait, on évoquait un tripatouillage du tableau, a regretté Gilbert Ysern. Ce qui devait être un symbole fort, en fait un hommage, était assimilé à de la basse cuisine.»

"Given what Nadal means to Paris, namely that he is the best player in the history of the tournament, it seemed to us incongruous that he could come here wearing the number 4 or 5 shirt." In the end, the decision was taken not to intervene in the seedings. "The damage is done, people talked of tampering with the draw," regretted Gilbert Ysern. "What was to have been a strong gesture, in fact a homage, was likened to a low art".

Good decision in the end!

#50 ·
The fairest will be if he draws Murray, but i don't think Murray can beat any of the top 7 on clay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.