• Chile

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Brazil

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Mexico

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • None of the 3

Votes: 12 19.4%

Which South American events will Rafa win?

3K views 50 replies 37 participants last post by  Litotes 
#1 ·
Will Rafa sweep all 3 events he's entered to play in?

#5 ·
Should win at least 2, likely 3. Look at his recent losses on clay:

2012: 1 - Verdasco - blue clay; doesn't really count/have bearing on usual clay results. Won 4 titles.
2011: 2- Novak in peak 2.0 mode. Won 3 titles.
2010: 0 - Won 4 titles.
2009: 2 - Soderling; Federer. Won 3 titles.

The top seeds in Chile: Nadal, Monaco, Chardy, Andujar.
Top seeds in Brazil: Nadal, Almagro, Monaco.
Top seeds in Mexico: Ferrer, Nadal, Almagro.

Ferrer and Almagro only real threats - would be final if in Brazil and SF/F in Mexico. He'll have been practising on clay for a month before Chile. Is practicing in Barcelona with Pere Riba etc. i.e, ATP level players back from AO rather than just juniors in Mallorca and will also play doubles as well as singles. Clearly he'll want to win too rather than just tanking like he's sometimes happy to do at Queens etc.

All in all, think it'd be surprising if he wins nothing at all. Not that shocking if wins all 3.

#14 ·
I think only Brazil.
He's probably rusty at Viña del Mar, but in form in São Paulo. Ferrer is too good for him in Acapulco.

#38 ·
"Ferrer is too good for him in Acapulco". what if Nadal comes back and is in perfectly normal form? you think the David would somehow magically do something he has never been able to do before against Nadal on clay? I agree with you that Acapulco vs. Ferrer is probably the least likely Nadal will win but for all we know he could be back in form fast, he's been practicing on clay already for weeks

#19 ·
I honestly could care less. As long as he stays healthy.
I love to see him play and it's been tough for a while now hope he can stay healthy that's my main concern.

#20 ·
He'll win all of them mark my words ! IF HE DOESN't WIN the 3 tournaments (only valid if he participates in all of them) I WILL CHEER the whole French Open ONLY FOR NADAL !!!
Next.

#21 ·
All he enters.

#31 ·
#37 ·
weirdly enough even with his long absence and the question mark next to his form, you've got to think all of them. he's been practicing with some pro's lately so I'm doubting that his confidence is really going to be that off. the truth is the fields are so weak in South America I think it would be shocking if he won less than say, 2 of them. Ferrer will likely be his biggest competition and look at that H2H.....

go Rafa!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.