Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why do people disrespect a player when news is revealed they are injured?

3K views 77 replies 19 participants last post by  mseles1 
#1 ·
I always hear "stop making excuses", "stop talking about the injury", "don't talk about being hurt", etc., when a player claims being hurt. We've seen it with Nole earlier in his career, we always see it with Nadal, and we see it with Roger and his back, we see it with Murray often. That somehow they should downplay their injuries, or in fact not even claim to be injured at all, even when they clearly are struggling. With Rafa, we know he gets injured often. But people on here disgustingly mock his injuries and call him a faker, although there is medical statements/proof of his injuries. If a player brings up any injury after the match, they're seen as making an excuse, even when they explicitly give credit to their opponent.

I think it's incredibly disrespectful to these athletes, and it's ridiculous when armchair analysts like the people on here behave in such a way. Also the whole idea it isn't sportsman to me doesn't fly. If a player is injured, then they are injured. It is what it is. It doesn't take away from the result and the win for the opponent, instead it's simply being honest with the conditions of the match. Player A beat a Player B who wasn't able to give 100% of himself on the day.

I really have no idea why people do this and am curious to see any attempt at turning this stupidity into logic. Any reasons?

See less See more
#2 ·
See Nadal.

/thread.

#3 ·
The only player I disrespect when they're injured is Nadal. Of course that's just me. I do it because whenever Nadal loses and happens to be injured, he blames the WHOLE LOSS on the injury. He doesn't say that he was playing bad or that the other guy was playing well, he just says "I was injured." It's not that I don't believe he's injured, it's just that he blames the fact the he lost with an injury. It's happened multiple times, and it just gets plain annoying.

#11 ·
It's a general thread, but it can't be denied Nadal is trashed the worst in this area. But in general, it's wrong to cheer injuries, it's wrong to discredit injuries and it's wrong to say a player is lying about an injury. That's beyond disliking a player and into character assassination zone, which is bullshit, since none of us are in these player's bodies. And we see it all the time on this forum, and it's wrong and needs to get called out.

#13 ·
How can someone be playing the injury card, when/if they are actually injured? Are they supposed to lie about being injured?

Pain is not an injury. All athletes deal with pain. Knee tendonitis or back spasms is not just regular aches and pains.

#10 ·
OP showing hypocrisy again.

#12 ·
Depends on the player and most players are never 100% fit. Not fit enough, then don't take court and play the injury card.

#18 ·
If players are rarely 100% fit, then what is the line of being not fit enough? This is their job. In the real world, people show up to work even if they aren't 100%. Yet when a player is obviously injured on court, they're lambasted. If a player says they are injured or news is announced their injured, they're lambasted. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

#17 ·
Rafa gets a bad rap for this. He never mentions injuries in his post-match interviews anymore. Usually it's someone in his camp or it comes out afterwards (by skipping a tournament or in this case an exo) afterwards. Besides, Nadal's style is so tough on his body that I doubt he's played any match (whether he won or lost) at 100% since 2008, maybe even earlier. It's part of who he is by now. So blaming an injury for a loss of his would be like blaming Nadal for the loss.

#23 ·
Why do people disrespect a player when news is revealed they are injured?
"a player", lol

From a recent post:

Roger spoke about back pain when he lost against Berdych at Wimbledon 2010. Now just before SF he is talking about back pain again. Are we bitching about this issue? At least I don't.

Let me remember, Rafa was defeated on USO'09, WB'11, USO'11, AO'12 ... did he played the injured card too? How many defeats has he against Djkovic lately? I don't remenber any injury excuse.

Rafa must follow a treatment for his knee at least 2 times every year if he pretends to continue playing tennis. And maybe even that's not enough at some point. Chronic tendonitis means after some time of intense physical activity he must take a rest and get some treatment. There are many athletes who suffer chronic injuries and they regularly also have to stop their activity and take some rest and treatment. And nothing happens. But we all know that whatever happens to Rafa, everything he says and does is evil

#27 ·
So, Butt Picker withdraws from a charity event with an injury excuse, shocking. Below is a injury scorecard on him that I obtained from another site. Combine the following with the fact that there have been numerous times when he seemed to be injured mid-match, only to be seen sprinting around the court like a deer a short time later, and some people ask how some doubt his injury concern???

Remember, his Soderling loss at the FO was supposedly because of knee problems, too. Even though he didn't even have them taped (for the first time in ages) during that match.

2006 AO: Missed with injury
2007 Wimbledon: Medical timeout in 4th set of final against Federer.
2007 US Open: Tired, knee problems. Why he lost to Ferrer.
2009 French Open: Knee problems
2009 Wimbledon: Missed with knee problems
2009 US Open: Coming off long layoff for knee problems. Knees still bad, which is why Del Potro smoked him.
2010 Australian Open: Abdominal injury.
2011 Australian Open: Medical timeout in Ferrer SF loss. Can't move.
2012 Wimbledon: ?Tendinitis, no?

2007 Hamburg loss to Federer: ?I'm so tired and exhausted, no?

2009 Madrid loss to Federer: ?I'm exhausted from match with Djokovic, and I have knee problems that I will only talk about after losing in the French Open to Soderling, no?

2010 World Tour Finals final vs Federer: ?End of the year, tired, no?

2011 World Tour Finals RR vs. Federer: ?End of the year tired again, no?

2012 Miami, right before scheduled to play Djokovic after 7 straight losses if he wins SF: "Withdrawing from Murray match because of knee problems, no?"

BEFORE 2012 Australian Open, where he'd lose to Djokovic for the 7th consecutive time: "When I arrived here, I felt a loud CRACKKKKKK in my knees. in finals, it might be because my knees aren't 100%, no?"

Don't think that's an actual quote, but he DID mention some concern about his knees. It got old a LOOOOOONG time ago....

#33 ·
US Open wasn't knee issues. He had a torn abdomen.

Miami, he was clearly injured vs Tsonga and could barely move.

Australian Open, he made no excuse for his knee after losing to Djokovic. Knee tape was prevention/precautionary.

Clay season 2009, was struggling going into Madrid, almost withdrew from the event, played an exho before the French and was struggling, decided basically last minute to play the French although he had developed full-blown tendonitis in both knees.

2010 WTF loss to Federer, went out of his way not to discuss his fatigue. He overplayed in 2010, which lead to injury problems in the start of 2011.

I don't need to continue. Seems like you are basically making things up, and adding bullshit, to justify petty hatred. How small of you.

Should Nadal be trashed because his body fails him often? Is that his fault morally? Seems like some here think it is. It is Rafael Nadal's fault his body breaks down.

#50 ·
I do :lol:

But, I mean, although I know people here are stupid, I would expect at least some semblance of human decency. Even being the bitch I am, I don't wish injuries on others, I don't laugh at other's injuries, and I don't discredit someone who is injured, because they're going through pain, and it sucks, this is their professional. It crosses the line.

#56 ·
Rafa is faking it. He has always made the excuse after losing every match. It got old a few years ago. I'd like someone to compile all his interviews and aftermath news after every loss. Rafa seems to have not lost a single match in his life not being injured. That is just disgraceful sportsmanship. Roger on the other hand, has called the trainer maybe once in the past 3 years. Big difference. Murray is whiny and just plays mind games. I don't think there is anything wrong with his leg

#59 ·
Sportsmanship? Really? It's bad SPORTSMANSHIP that Nadal has injuries? Murray has been getting treatment on his leg throughout Wimbledon. Is that fake? Did Nadal fake getting knee injections? Did Nadal fake barely moving this year in Miami vs Tsonga?

You're saying Nadal lies about injuries. Unless you can prove that, that is a horrible thing to say about an athlete, one of the worst things to say in fact, about a professional athlete.

#67 ·
#70 ·
^^ Traslation: I have nothing to contribute to the topic discussed, but I just want to state clearly that I am severely butthurted because one of my predilected dogmas are is being criticized.
:facepalm: Please don't try speaking English until you have at least grasped the most basic grammar rules of it. And try to make sense for once please....

#78 ·
As far as Rafa's concerned, sadly he is always fair game to be disrespected on these boards, in fact non Rafa fans who don't have a go deserve Nike vouchers. Easier to be a sheep I suppose.
Tiredness classed as an injury now?
Murray should get as much if not more stick than Rafa. I have watched just about all his matches from his tourneys this year. Karlovic - Wimbledon match alone, he was fiddling with his knee, his leg, his groin, his tricep...Rarely pulls out of an event injured. Djokovic is called faker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.