Mens Tennis Forums banner

Chucho News and Articles

30K views 350 replies 36 participants last post by  Mae 
#1 ·
Every Forum has a News and Articles Thread.............so why should Chucho miss out? :sad:

Of course our man is on vacation at the moment, but he is still finding the time to do some charity work in Argentina. He will be taking part in a Charity Team Tennis Tournament which runs from 1st to 8th December in various different venues, and is raising money for something called "The Food Bank" which distributes food and help to disadvantaged people.

Here is an article about it (in Spanish), along with the link to the original.

http://www.atptennis.com/es/newsand...res_charity.asp

Tenistas argentinos disputan torneo benéfico

Varios de los mejores tenistas argentinos del momento suspenderán por unos días sus vacaciones para tomar parte del torneo Interclubes de Primera División. Allí se podrá seguir a Mariano Puerta, José Acasuso , Juan Ignacio Chela, Mariano Zabaleta y el ecuatoriano Giovanni Lapentti, entre otros.

El certamen, rebautizado "La Liga de Primera" a partir de la presente temporada, tendrá un fin solidario, ya que la entrada para seguir la competencia será la entrega de alimentos no perecederos, que serán destinados al Banco de Alimentos, una organización no gubernamental que ayuda a 52.000 personas diariamente.

Además de los citados profesionales, también participarán Carlos Berlocq, Mariano Hood, Sebastián Prieto, Diego Hartfield; ex jugadores como Christian Miniussi (bronce olímpico en Barcelona 92), y jóvenes promesas como Máximo González, Leonardo Mayer u Horacio Zeballos, entre otros.

El 21 de noviembre se realizará el sorteo y el torneo comenzará el 1 de diciembre, cuando se conformen cuatro zonas de cuatro equipos. Los dos mejores avanzarán a un cuadro de eliminación directa. Las semifinales y finales de esta competencia que repartirá 30.000 pesos argentinos en premios se disputarán el 7 y 8 de diciembre en River Plate. El Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, con Puerta, Chela, Hood, Zeballos y Diego Moyano en su lista de buena fe, aparece como el candidato.

See less See more
#2 ·
That sounds awesome! If only I were in Argentina *sigh*

It's cool though that Chucho and the rest of the Argies are taking time out of their vacation for such a great cause :)

#3 ·
I think i'd better start learning spanish :)
I'm glad that guys are doing this tournament, i know charity is charity, but i hope Chucho will do well because he's always fun to watch.
Yep, i wish i was in Argentina too :hug:

#4 ·
And it seems our man is keeping busy with the exhibitions in the off-season :yeah: Next weekend (2nd and 3rd December) he is playing in an exhibition in Peru, along with Agustin Calleri, Luis Horna and Ivan Miranda. All the money they raise is for disadvantaged children. Here is the link (in Spanish again - sorry Effka :sad: ) It doesn'treally say anything more than I've already told you though so you're not missing anything!

http://www.peru.com/deportes/noticias/AutoNoticias/DetalleNoticia25938.asp

#5 ·
Chucho's first tournament of the new year will be in Auckland, New Zealand, starting on 9th January. I'm sure someone will start a cheering thread much nearer the time, but thought you would like to see the list now. Vamos Chucho!

2006 Entry List - Heineken Open - Auckland

Jose Acasuso (ARG)
Mario Ancic (CRO)
Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
Karol Beck (SVK)
Kenneth Carlsen (DEN)
David Ferrer (ESP)
Robby Ginepri (USA)
Paul Goldstein (USA)
Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)
Dominik Hrbaty (SVK)
Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
Alberto Martin (ESP)
Nicolas Massu (CHI)
Wesley Moodie (RSA)
Andrew Murray (GBR)
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Andrei Pavel (ROM)
Christophe Rochus (BEL)
Olivier Rochus (BEL)
Robin Vik (CZE)
Filippo Volandri (ITA)
Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI)
Tomas Zib (CZE)

#6 ·
Smoking Joe going to Auckland, as he should, showed some good form there last year, just hope he can start the year well.

#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
#10 ·
Article posted today in Ole

The missionair tennis player José Acasuso made sure his intentions to finish in the top 20 in 2006, and made clear that he prefers to not put pressure on himself and warned that if necessary he will change his schedule for the coming year.

''I want to finish 2006 in the top 20'' told DyN. And added ''I don't want to pressure myself by a number. I just want to keep doing the right things, in a professional way, working hard. If I achieve that, the ranking will come by itself.

Heading on 2006, Acasuso, 40º in latest rankings, said that his year will begin in Auckland and then the Australian Open. ''I am considering changing a clay court event to a hard court one, to prepare better the Masters Series in March and April. It's likely that I'd skip Acapulco and go to Vegas''.

''Today I'm going to a fast-court tournament with others expectations. I'm not going to see what happens or if I get lucky with the draw, I'm going to win some matches'' revealed Acasuso, who won two doubles titles whit his partner Sebastian Prieto.

''It's positive to play doubles for me because I have the chance to improve my serve, volleys and returns that aren't commons in singles. We did pretty well this last year with Sebastian, we have 'feeling' and we will keep playing in 2006'.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1103491

#11 ·
Caralimon said:
Article posted today in Ole

The missionair tennis player José Acasuso made sure his intentions to finish in the top 20 in 2006, and made clear that he prefers to not put pressure on himself and warned that if necessary he will change his schedule for the coming year.

''I want to finish 2006 in the top 20'' told DyN. And added ''I don't want to pressure myself by a number. I just want to keep doing the right things, in a professional way, working hard. If I achieve that, the ranking will come by itself.

Heading on 2006, Acasuso, 40º in latest rankings, said that his year will begin in Auckland and then the Australian Open. ''I am considering changing a clay court event to a hard court one, to prepare better the Masters Series in March and April. It's likely that I'd skip Acapulco and go to Vegas''.

''Today I'm going to a fast-court tournament with others expectations. I'm not going to see what happens or if I get lucky with the draw, I'm going to win some matches'' revealed Acasuso, who won two doubles titles whit his partner Sebastian Prieto.

''It's positive to play doubles for me because I have the chance to improve my serve, volleys and returns that aren't commons in singles. We did pretty well this last year with Sebastian, we have 'feeling' and we will keep playing in 2006'.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1103491
Thanks so much for the translation of this article about Chucho. He could always go to Dubai instead of Vegas.

It's good that he is thinking this, just hope that he is doing a lot of fitness work, which he really needs and improve his movement as well.

He had some good performances on the hardcourts and is more than capable of doing well, but he needs a good clay season as well. As he said if he puts the work in, and he has the belief in what he is doing, then he can get the results.

#14 ·
Tomorrow is the start of the prestigious Copa Argentina de Tenis at the BALTC, and Chucho will play his first match at 5.00pm Argentina time. His first round will be against Guillermo Cañas. Here is the draw:-

1st Round:
1° Nalbandian vs Bye
Zabaleta vs Monaco

Acasuso vs Cañas
4° Chela vs Bye

3° Kuerten vs Bye
Berlocq vs Horna

Calleri vs Del Potro
2° Puerta vs Bye

1st Round - 15th December from 5.00pm
2nd Round - 16th December from 5.00pm
Semis - 17th December from 8.00pm
Final - 18th December at 8.00pm

Reactions: Action Jackson
#15 ·
Big Chucho against Cañas that will be a tough match for sure.

They left him off the photo, he must have been asleep.

#16 ·
Just found this very good article about Chucho and his feelings about the president of Argentine tennis.

http://www.infobae.com/notas/nota.php?IdxSeccion=1&Idx=226405

José Acasuso, muy duro con Enrique Morea: "Es un mentiroso"

El tenista misionero dijo que nunca recibió ayuda de la Asociación Argentina de Tenis y descalificó al presidente de esa entidad. Aclaró que los únicos que obtuvieron ese beneficio fueron Coria y Nalbandian

• El presidente de la AAT dice que “este es el mejor momento del tenis”

• El Luna Park recibe a los más grandes del tenis argentino

(NA) - El tenista José Acasuso manifestó que nunca recibió ayuda de parte de la Asociación Argentina de Tenis (AAT), y acusó al presidente reelecto de la entidad, Enrique Morea, de "mentiroso" por haber señalado eso.

Acassuso, número 40 en el ranking mundial de la Asociación del Tenis Profesional (ATP), señaló que los únicos jugadores que recibieron "ayuda" de parte de la AAT fueron Guillermo Coria y David Nalbandian.

"A mí nunca me ayudaron, lo único que me pagaron fue un viaje al US Open. Es mentira que la AAT ayudó a todos los jugadores, la ayuda fue para Guillermo (Coria) y David (Nalbandian). Morea es un mentiroso", explicó el tenista durante una charla en la escuela de periodismo DeporTEA.

En ese sentido, el misionero aseguró que la relación entre la máxima entidad del tenis argentino y los jugadores nacionales "no pasa por un buen momento".

"No puede ser que Morea diga que la Asociación es la responsable del buen momento del Tenis Argentino, los jugadores son los responsables. Hoy por hoy, la relación no pasa por un buen momento", completó el tenista.

The basic English version of this seems to be

José Acasuso, Argentine tennis president Enrique Morea is a liar

The player from Misiones said that he never received financial aid from the Association Argentina of Tennis and should be sacked as president. Coria and Nalbandian were the ones to benefit.

• The president of the AAT says that “this is the best moment of the tennis”
• The Luna Park receives to the largest of the Argentine tennis (NA)

- The tennis player José Acasuso declared that never received aid on behalf of the Association Argentina of Tennis (AAT), and accused the re-elected president of the AAT Enrique Morea of "lying" by indicating that this was the case.

Acassuso, number 40 in the ranking world of the Association of the Professional Tennis (ATP), indicated that the only players that received "aid" on behalf of the AAT were Guillermo Coria and David Nalbandian.

"To me never they helped me, the only thing that they paid for me was a trip to the US. It is lie that the AAT helped all the players, the assistance was for Guillermo (Coria) and David (Nalbandian). Morea is a liar", Acasuso explained during a chat in the school of journalism DeporTEA.

In that sense, the misionero assured that the relations between the AAT and the national players "are not good at the moment".

"He , Morea cannot say that the Association is the responsible for the good moment of the Argentine Tennis, the players are the reason. Today for the present, the relations are not in a good way ", completed the tennis player.

#18 ·
Choupi said:
Chucho :worship: . You often look quite asleep or not totally awake, but the mind works.......it has to be noted!! ;)
Well he better come to Metz again and as for the translation that seems to be right, it just needs some cleaning up.

We do know Morea isn't a good guy and that Chucho along with the others were forgotten about.

#19 ·
GeorgeWHitler said:
Well he better come to Metz again.
Yes, he better. :) He can't miss such an opportunity............so can't I!!
We do know Morea isn't a good guy and that Chucho along with the others were forgotten about.
True. It's not the 1st time that state of things is denounced. Just glad that Chucho points it too. He's breaking the image and that's good imo.

#21 ·
Chucho may look spaced out, but he isn't a fool and with what has been going with tennis in Argentina recently, there definitely needs to be more communication between the various groups.

His schedule so far is

Auckland
Aus Open
Viña del Mar
Buenos Aires
Costa do Sauipe
Las Vegas/Acapulco
Indian Wells
Miami

#22 ·
thanks gwh

#23 ·
Here is an article that has some news on Chucho and the Buenos Aires tournament in general, thanks to Michelleg and the dodgy free translation.

http://www.misionesonline.net/paginas/noticia2.php?db=noticias2006&id=25

El “Chucho” buscará ser rey en Buenos Aires

En tenista posadeño, José Acasuso estará entre los mejores tenistas de argentina en el ATP de Buenos Aires. El torneo se jugará en febrero.

José "Chucho" Acasuso, David Nalbandian y Guillermo Coria jugarán el ATP que se disputará en el Lawn Tenis en febrero. También lo harán los españoles Ferrero y Moyá y el brasileño Kuerten. Gaudio aún no aseguró si estará, mientras que el juvenil Del Potro recibirá una invitación especial.

El misionero Acasuso (41 en el ranking mundial) jugará con los dos mejores tenistas de la Argentina, David Nalbandian (6) y Guillermo Coria (8). El certamen se llevará a cabo del 13 al 19 de febrero y cristalizará la sexta edición del ATP de Buenos Aires, además repartirá 485.000 dólares en premios.

También fueron confirmadas por la organización del ATP las presencias de los tenistas españoles Carlos Moyá (32) y Juan Carlos Ferrero (18), ambos ex números uno del mundo; aunque está en duda la participación del último campeón, Gastón Gaudio (10), según infobae.com.ar.

"Nuestros esfuerzos estuvieron enfocados en conseguir a cinco jugadores. Cuatro ya confirmaron su presencia y ahora nos falta Gaudio, que tiene una oferta económica de nuestra parte pero por el momento no nos ha respondido", expresó Martín Jaite, el director del torneo.
Por otro lado, las entradas individuales se expenderán desde mediados del actual mes de enero.

"Es un placer recuperar a Coria y a Nalbandian para el torneo, como así también tener a Ferrero por primera vez. Además contar con Moyá en el cuadro es importante para la tribuna femenina", comentó Jaite con una sonrisa.

Miguel Nido, director de la empresa norteamericana Altenis, dueña del ATP, explicó que habrá muchas novedades para los espectadores con respecto a ediciones anteriores y reafirmó que el tema de la seguridad será "clave", especialmente, en la salida del público tras la jornada nocturna.

Del lunes 13 al viernes 17 de febrero la jornada diurna comenzará a las 11 y la nocturna, que constará de dos encuentros, a las 19,30. El sábado 18 las semifinales irán desde las 12 y la final del domingo dará comienzo a las 14.
Jaite señaló además que una de la invitaciones especiales será para el brasileño Gustavo Kuerten (hoy es 294 del mundo y su ranking no le permitiría ingresar al torneo en forma directa) y la segunda sería para el juvenil argentino Juan Martín del Potro.

Más allá de los tenistas mencionados, extraoficialmente, se sabe que estarán en la lista del ATP los argentinos Juan Ignacio Chela (40), Agustín Calleri (52), Carlos Berlocq (80), Mariano Zabaleta (83) y Juan Mónaco (85), además de los chilenos Fernando González (11) y Nicolás Massú (65).

Translation:

"Chucho" will seek to be a king in Buenos Aires

The player from posadeño, José Acasuso will be among the better tennis players from Argentina in the ATP of Buenos Aires. The tournament will be played in February.

José "Chucho" Acasuso, David Nalbandian and Guillermo Coria will play the ATP that will be disputed in the Lawn Tennis in February. Also the Spanish players Ferrero and Moyá and the Brazilian Kuerten. Gaudio has not assured that he will be there, while del Potro will receive a wild card.

The misionero Acasuso (41 in the world rankings) will play with the two better tennis players of Argentina, David Nalbandian (6) and Guillermo Coria (8). The contest will be carry out of the 13th to the 19th of February and will be the sixth edition of the ATP of Buenos Aires, besides will distribute $485.000 in prizes.

Also they were confirmed by the organisation of the ATP the presence of the Spanish tennis players Carlos Moyá (32) and Juan Carlos Ferrero (18), both former numbers one of the world; although is in doubt the participation of the last champion, Gastón Gaudio (10), according to infobae. com. ar.

"Our forces were focused on finding five players. Four already confirmed their presence and only now we are only without Gaudio, who has an economic offer from our part, but for the moment has yet to respond," expressed Martin Jaite, the director of the tournament.

"It is a pleasure to regain Coria and Nalbandian for the tournament, as well to have Ferrero for the first time, Moreover, having Moya in the draw is important for the female element", commented Jaite with a smile.

Nido is just going on about security.

On Monday 13th to Friday 17th of Feb the day will begin at 11 o'clock and the night session, that will be comprised of two encounters, at 19,30 o'clock. On Saturday the 18th the semifinals start at 12 and the end on Sunday will start at 14 o'clock.

Jaite indicated besides that one of the wildcards will be for the Brazilian one Gustavo Kuerten (today is 294 of the world and his ranking would not permit him to enter the tournament directly) and the second would be for the youthful one Argentine Juan Martin del Potro.

Beyond the tennis players mentioned, unofficially, is known that they will be in the list of the ATP the Argentine Juan Ignacio Chela (40), Augustine Calleri (52), Carlos Berlocq (80), Mariano Zabaleta (83) and Juan Monaco (85), besides the Chilean Fernando González (11) and Nicolas Massú (65). Also Luis Horna will be on this list.

#24 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd drop this by since the tournament thread for 2006 hasn't made it to Buenos Aires yet.

ATP Buenos Aires
1. Nalbandian, David ARG 6
2. Coria, Guillermo ARG 8
3. Ferrero, Juan Carlos ESP 17
4. Moya, Carlos ESP 31
5. Volandri, Filippo ITA 38
6. Chela, Juan Ignacio ARG 39
7. Acasuso, Jose ARG 40
8. Serra, Florent FRA 49
9. Martin, Alberto ESP 50
10. Calleri, Agustin ARG 51
11. Massu, Nicolas CHI 65
12. Montanes, Alberto ESP 71
13. Berlocq, Carlos ARG 79
14. Pashanski, Boris SCG 82
15. Zabaleta, Mariano ARG 83
16. Horna, Luis PER 84
17. Monaco, Juan ARG 85
18. Behrend, Tomas GER 89
19. Daniel, Marcos BRA 94
OUT. Lapentti Nicolas ECU 95
21. Vanek, Jiri CZE 99
22. Kim, Kevin USA 101
23. Starace, Potito ITA 105
24 Saretta, Flavio BRA 109
25 Vicente, Fernando ESP 110
26 del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG) (WC)
27 Kuerten, Gustavo (BRA) (WC)
28 (WC)
29 (Q)
30 (Q)
31 (Q)
32 (Q)

Alternates
IN. Mello, Ricardo BRA 111
2. Sabau, Razvan ROM 112
3. Marin, Juan Antonio CRC 113
4. Almagro, Nicolas ESP 114
5. Hernandez, Oscar ESP 115
6. Mantilla, Felix ESP 117
7. Mazarakis, Vasilis GRE 118
8. Portas, Albert ESP 119
9. Ramirez Hidalgo, Ruben ESP 120
10. Di Mauro, Alessio ITA 125
11. Marach, Oliver AUT 127
12. Dlgado, Ramon PAR 132
13. Patience, Olivier FRA 133
14. Navarro Pastor, Ivan ESP 139
15. Kubot, Lukasz POL 143

#26 ·
Lot of players that I would like to see - so why don't they just pick up this whole tournament and play it in Europe :p (j/k) Good Luck Chucho!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.