Mens Tennis Forums banner

Chucho News and Articles

30K views 350 replies 36 participants last post by  Mae 
#1 ·
Every Forum has a News and Articles Thread.............so why should Chucho miss out? :sad:

Of course our man is on vacation at the moment, but he is still finding the time to do some charity work in Argentina. He will be taking part in a Charity Team Tennis Tournament which runs from 1st to 8th December in various different venues, and is raising money for something called "The Food Bank" which distributes food and help to disadvantaged people.

Here is an article about it (in Spanish), along with the link to the original.

http://www.atptennis.com/es/newsand...res_charity.asp

Tenistas argentinos disputan torneo benéfico

Varios de los mejores tenistas argentinos del momento suspenderán por unos días sus vacaciones para tomar parte del torneo Interclubes de Primera División. Allí se podrá seguir a Mariano Puerta, José Acasuso , Juan Ignacio Chela, Mariano Zabaleta y el ecuatoriano Giovanni Lapentti, entre otros.

El certamen, rebautizado "La Liga de Primera" a partir de la presente temporada, tendrá un fin solidario, ya que la entrada para seguir la competencia será la entrega de alimentos no perecederos, que serán destinados al Banco de Alimentos, una organización no gubernamental que ayuda a 52.000 personas diariamente.

Además de los citados profesionales, también participarán Carlos Berlocq, Mariano Hood, Sebastián Prieto, Diego Hartfield; ex jugadores como Christian Miniussi (bronce olímpico en Barcelona 92), y jóvenes promesas como Máximo González, Leonardo Mayer u Horacio Zeballos, entre otros.

El 21 de noviembre se realizará el sorteo y el torneo comenzará el 1 de diciembre, cuando se conformen cuatro zonas de cuatro equipos. Los dos mejores avanzarán a un cuadro de eliminación directa. Las semifinales y finales de esta competencia que repartirá 30.000 pesos argentinos en premios se disputarán el 7 y 8 de diciembre en River Plate. El Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, con Puerta, Chela, Hood, Zeballos y Diego Moyano en su lista de buena fe, aparece como el candidato.

See less See more
#274 ·
Yes, Cristian is a good guy and he did some good work with Chucho and I don't think he will be unemployed for too long.

#263 ·
The Punta del Este show.

TENIS EN PUNTA 2007

Schedule

December 27

13:30 hs Pressconference - Conrad Punta del Este
Presentation of players

December 28

20:00 hs First semifinal
José Acasuso (Arg) vs Pablo Cuevas (Uru)

Later Second semifinal
Gastón Gaudio (Arg) vs Guillermo Cañas (Arg)

December 30

21:30 hs Final

#264 ·
Martiniano Orazi have been working (I doubt he´ll work for them now) for the AAT as a trainer in the Escuela Nacional de Tenis.
There have been some changes in the AAT lately....
Too bad about Elseser, I liked him.
And thanks for the information about the Punta del Este exho..., I´m not sure if it will be broadcasted, but it would be fun to watch. I´ll turn my telly on at that time and see what happens :p

#266 ·
OH! Thanks for the information, Choupi! :yeah: TyC site is a disaster these days :p
I´ll be on a bus during his match against Cuevas , but if he wins it, I´ll watch the final. In fact, whoever wins I´ll watch it, any live tennis is good for me these days :lol: and I like Gastón and Cañas too :)

#269 ·
From TyC Sports

Acasuso y Cañas definirán la exhibición

Chucho derrotó a Pablo Cuevas por 6-4 y 6-2 y Willy venció a Gastón Gaudio por 6-2 y 7-5. Mañana, desde las 20.30, la definición se verá por TyC Sports.

Hace muy poco finalizó oficialmente la temporada 2006 para los tenistas argentinos y también dentro de pocas semanas dará comienzo otro exigente año, que tendrá como primera prueba el Abierto de Australia.

De cara a ese gran objetivo, el primer Grand Slam, en Punta del Este se juega una exhibición de la que participan José Acasuso, Guillermo Cañas, Gastón Gaudio y Pablo Cuevas, quien nació en nuestro país y representa a Uruguay.

En el primer encuentro de la jornada, Chucho evidenció la diferencia de categoría con el chico Cuevas (230° del mundo, jugador de Challengers) y obtuvo un cómodo triunfo por 6-4 y 6-2.

"Estoy entrenándome muy fuerte y estos partidos vienen muy bien para llegar preparado de la mejor manera posible a Australia", afirmó el misionero tras la victoria.

El otro finalista es Guillermo Cañas, quien en el cierre del día superó a Gastón Gaudio por 6-2 y 7-5. "Estoy contento por haber jugado bien y hacía mucho que no me divertía tanto. Estoy tratando de ponerme a punto, contra jugadores de gran nivel, como sucedió en Buenos Aires", dijo Willy.

I translate the part about chucho:
"In the first match of the day, Chucho showed the difference of level (or quality) with the boy Cuevas (230 in the world, player of Challengers) and won easily in 2 sets: 6-4, 6-2
Chucho's words:
"I am trainning very hard and these matches are very good to arrive in the best form possible to the Australian Open"

Cañas said he is happy to play with the best players and he had great fun during the match with Gaudio.

#271 ·
Drooling over exhos. That is poor form.

#278 ·
Maria......I don't think it was necessary for you to worry. I mean, I have replied to you, saying I wish I could see that match (the final), because that was what I felt like saying at that time. I also think it should be an interesting match. So, I have to say I don't get what made you write these last 2 posts of yours, especially about the fact that I was ignoring you. I don't understand what made you feel so.....and it's not because I spoke about Cristian with GWH that I was ignoring you. We're several posters around, not just you & me. Anyway, I hope it's all clearer now.

#281 · (Edited)
This is an article in Ole today.
I won´t translate it completely because it makes no sense doing it.., just the most important things. ;)

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2006/12/29/01335878.html

Martiniano Orazi and Orsanic are in Punta del Este with him.

Chucho: "winning DC, having my first Super 9 (MSs) and be top 15” Tose are his goals, in that order.

“I have ‘a thorn stuck’ with what happened with the DC, I want to play all this year to try to ‘erase’ that bitter pill. As far as MS are concerned, I fell that I have more chances on clay, but I see I´m improving in all surfaces”.

Orsanic: about how Chucho dealed with his defeat against Marat in DC: “I think that the career of a player doesn´t depend of a match, but it´s true that it can make a mark, for good or bad. And the reaction of the people, his reaction and ours was a very good ones”

“He stopped 5 days alter Paris (travelled to Brazil), he trained, had a long weekend of rest and worked hard during 3 weeks before the DC. After Russia had five days and now we are practising. He is very well mentally”

Considering Chucho´s mental health :)lol: sounds funny translated), both agreed to start the season later, directly in the AO: “Today he is not ready t compete, that´s why these kind of matches in fast surfaces are good for him”
“If we want him to have a good base for next year, it is better skipping the next weeks and go well to Australia”

Chucho has been practising serve in trainings.

Orsa: “I want him to improve even more his attack weapons like the serve and his forehand”
About the physical aspect: “I expect him to have even more movement, specially the ‘adjustment’ steps in fast courts”.
Mentally: “Insisting in giving it all, like it was seen in the Davis against Australia in Parque Roca and in Hamburg´s MS”

#282 ·
Thanks Lau. It's interesting to have Orsanic's point of view, as to why Chucho won't take part to any event before the AO. Now, it makes more sense. And I do hope what he said about the "1 match leaving a mark" is true, that the reactions were the right ones for Chucho.......

#283 ·
I´m sure I heard/read Chucho talking about how mentally exhausted DC matches leaves him, all that stress... I bet the last DC match was particularly hard for him in this aspect. Not only, or particularly because he was defeated, but because it must be difficult to get back to "normal" after such a stressful situation.

#284 ·
Chucho won de exho against Cañas 75 64 (I´m doubtful about the first set...., I don´t know if it was 76...)
I could watch very little of the match and apart from a couple of points, didn´t seem to be very entertaining..., but I might be wrong...
José will be flying to Australia (or arriving there?) on the 8th of January.

#286 ·
Thanks for that lau and big Orsa makes a lot of sense with these comments and that's the thing with Davis Cup it can be very stressful as the highs are so high, but the problem is the lows are very low.

Good to give him time to recover and build the base for a big 2007 season and just hope he can translate his DC form into the Slams.

#290 ·
In Clarin it says Mancini already picked up the men for Davis first round

Mancini ya tiene el equipo en la cabeza

Nalbandian —si acepta jugar—, Acasuso, Calleri y Cañas, integrarían el equipo argentino de la Davis contra Austria.

EVALUANDO. Cañas pelotea con Chela, mientras que Mancini observa.
Anterior

El año todavía no terminó y la herida de la derrota ante Rusia en la final de la Copa Davis por 3 a 2 en la fría Moscú sigue abierta. Sin embargo, Alberto Mancini, capitán del equipo argentino, ya piensa en el fin de semana del 9 al 11 de febrero de 2007, en el que Argentina visitará a Austria en Linz, por la primera ronda de la Copa. Por eso, Luli presenció ayer un entrenamiento informal de Juan Ignacio Chela y Guillermo Cañas, para terminar de delinear a las cuatro raquetas argentinas.

Una de las canchas auxiliares del Parque Roca fue el escenario de la práctica. A partir de las once de la mañana y durante más de una hora, Cañas y Chela pelotearon entre ellos. Mancini estuvo presente durante todo el entrenamiento, observando principalmente a Cañas, ya que Chela anunció lo que Clarín ya había anticipado: que en 2007 estará concentrado únicamente en el circuito de la ATP.

"Ya estamos programando Austria, aunque Rusia siempre me vuelve a la cabeza. Creo que ahora hay que pensar para adelante. Lo que se hizo este año fue increíble, el balance es más que positivo. Eso da una pauta de que el 2007 se empieza con el claro objetivo de volver a intentar ganarla. Los jugadores siguen es tando y se demuestra que están a la altura de las circunstancias para jugar en cualquier superficie y ante cualquier rival", comentó Luli, quien ya tendría definidos a los cuatro para enfrentar a Austria: Guillermo Cañas, José Acasuso, Agustín Calleri y David Nalbandian, en caso de que el tenista argentino mejor ubicado en el ranking decida participar del encuentro, ya que su presencia es todavía una duda.

basically, the article say that Mancini is convinced about the four and he never forgot Russia's matches. He has them in mind all the times, although he is thinking obviously in Asutria. Nalbandian didn't accept to play yet. And the article nothing said about Juan Martín del Potro. But Chucho is one of the team for sure.

#291 ·
This is old but nice...from Ole about the last exho in Cordoba. The article talks about how much the audience clapped Chucho, first when he walked into the court with an ovation and then after the match even when he lost. He already has a big place in the heart of argentinian people after his performance in Davis Cup against Russia (and before against Australia, beating Hewitt, i can add :) , so Chucho is already and idol here!)

TENIS : DEMOSTRACION DE AFECTO EN CORDOBA

Acasuso perdió y lo aplaudieron

Acasuso lost and the public clapped!

Marcelo Maller CORDOBA. ENVIADO ESPECIAL

El primer gran aplauso fue en Moscú. Luego, la gente que estuvo en el Luna Park también enrojeció sus manos para vivarlo. Y ayer, Córdoba se sumó al agradecimiento a José Acasuso por todo el esfuerzo desplegado en la final de la Copa Davis. El misionero fue ovacionado repetidas veces por el público que asistió al Estadio Orfeo pero, pese al continuo aliento, no pudo vencer al chileno Nicolás Massú, que lo derrotó 7-5 y 7-6 (6) y enfrentará hoy en la final del torneo, a desarrollarse en el segundo turno, al ganador del choque que al cierre de esta edición enfrentaba a David Nalbandian y Juan Mónaco.

Para Acasuso, que está en la transición entre el final de la temporada 2006 (mañana disputará uno de sus últimos partidos del año, el tercer puesto), y la pretemporada 2007, la de anoche era una buena chance de recibir los aplausos por su estupenda actuación en Rusia. Y así fue. Cuando su nombre fue anunciado, el público lo ovacionó por primera vez, y esa ovación se volvió aún más fuerte cuando entró al estadio y se detuvo a saludar en mitad de cancha.

#292 · (Edited)
In TyC Sports about the exho in Punta chucho won yesterday night

Acasuso se quedó con la exhibición

El misionero obtuvo el torneo en Uruguay al derrotar a Guillermo Cañas por 7-5 y 6-4. Los dos se preparan para una temporada 2007 que empieza en pocos días.

Se cerró el año para los tenistas argentinos. Con la exhibición que se desarrolló en Punta del Este quedó sellado un 2006 con algunos títulos, un top ten de la mano de David Nalbandian y la espina clava por la final perdida en la Copa Davis.

Este último torneo tuvo como ganador a José Acasuso, el mejor de la temporada por detrás de Nalbandian
, al vencer en la definición a Guillermo Cañas con parciales de 7-5 y 6-4.

El encuentro fue a cara de perro, muy parejo, con los bajones propios de la pretemporada, y Chucho se lo llevó por, como él mismo lo explicó, "haber jugado bien en los momentos claves, ahí estuvo la diferencia".

El misionero se mostró "feliz de terminar el año de esta manera" y deseó para el que viene "finalizar entre los 15, ganar un Masters Series en polvo de ladrillo y, obviamente, la Copa Davis".

The article said 2 interest things:
-Acasuso is the best argentinian tennist after Nalbandian in the end of this year, and the match with Cañas was played as a real one, both fighting.
-Chucho's words: he played better the important points (one thing he has to learn to do in every match;) i can say)...
He said he is happy to end the year in this way and said his goals for the year uncoming are "to end 2007 between the top 15, to win a Master Series on clay, and obviously to win Davis Cup"

#293 · (Edited)
Brief report of the final with Cañas.

Basically we can say Chucho's power was too much for Cañas. His service, his shots down the line and angles Cañas couldn't return. But Cañas fought a lot and could do some good things: some volleys, some return of a Chucho's smash very impressive.
A funny note: the match almost didn't start because a lot of insects were beside the lights falling down into the court! The players were waiting for a while till the assistents were cleaning up the court but the insects (we call them "cascarudos") were still falling down. Finally they start the play. At the end Chucho's speak was very sweet. He said he was happy to see Cañas back on courts after his difficult period and playing so good, happy also because Argentina has a very important player back for Davis Cup. He said he enjoyed the cup in Punta del Este, and hope this kind of exho will motivate more kids to start to play more tennis.

In the interview TYC Sport did with him, Chucho said his best tennis moment during 2006 was his SF in Master Series Hamburg, so one of his goals is to win a Master Series on clay. And the as emotional moments he remarked the ties of Davis Cup against Australia in Buenos Aires, and against Russia in the Finals. He wants to finish between the top 15 during 2007, win a MS on clay and to win DaVis Cup. "We want revenge" he say with his sweet smile. He also said he is now fully focused on Australian Open.

He was wearing in all white, and completely shaved, showing his baby face! He looked as a gentleman :lol:

#295 ·
you are welcome! :)

there is another thing i forgot to report: Bonadeo, the guy of TyC Sport, was talking during the match with Martin Jaite, the Buenos Aires Copa Telmex organizer. He said Chucho is not confirmed for Buenos Aires but he has the hope he will be there, and for the conversation he had recently with Chucho, he thinks he will accept to play. The list of players will be closed on 8 Jennuary, the day Chucho leaves to Australia, i hope too Chucho will be in Buenos Aires, this is my chance to see him play in a real tournament. His first big acheivement was there, arriving to the Finals with Guga in 2001 when he was 18. He played great tennis there and i am his fans since that tournament. :)

#298 ·
I don't know where to put this but like it includes an old interview when he was 17 and Chucho's words i will put here.

It is about the meaning of Chucho's name. I read in other forums that people ask about that...have you talked already on this topic? It is a very argentinian thing. I don't know if Spanish people use thar word for the same meaning.

well i explained the story on my site on Chucho's thread.

http://safinartenis.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?p=5465#5465

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.