News & Articles about Grigor - Page 42 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #616
country flag FederPova

FederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & Articles about Grigor

Grigor Dimitrov 19-01-15
Monday, 19 January, 2015

Q. That the start you wanted?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Yeah, it was a good start for me. Of course, I expected it to be tricky. The conditions were good. Court was great. I think it was just a little tough for everyone to get into that rhythm, to get used to the court. It was pretty windy today, so, yeah, I think overall it's been a good start for me.

Q. You were playing the sets goals. Have you set any goals for this year what you want to achieve?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Yeah, I always have goals, especially when it comes to slams, I would say. I don't want to say the other tournaments are less important, but every tournament I enter is to win. In the same time, you know that a tournament can change your whole schedule, your whole world. So in a way, this is my goal: To basically win everything that I play. From then on anything can happen. But to set one goal in particular, I'm not sure I'm that type of a guy.

Q. Since Roger Rasheed took over as your coach your slam form has been much improved. How does he make a difference to you?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Been working with Rog I think over a year now, and I think we established a really good platform, a work ethic, and I think a good relation. I think all those components in a way are really, really important, especially when you want to have such a close and tight relationship with a coach. It's never easy. But at the same time, I think we sort of found our way of practicing, of scheduling, of doing things in the right way. I still don't believe we were perfect, but we're still working on that, too, to get the right groove every time you come to an event or whether it's off-season or anything like that. So I think he brought a lot of good things into my game. I would like to say it's always been about the details, especially when it comes to big matches, big moments. That's quarterfinals, semifinals, and all the slams, of course.

Q. Does it make a difference that this is his home country?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: I feel it help. I mean, I guess it does help, but I always felt good coming out of here and always had great support in Australia. Feel like an adopted Australian sometimes, especially when you come out on the court and you see all the fans cheering for you, which is great. It really helps you and boosts your confidence. It's just little different to play out here, and I like the vibe. All positives leaning on my side.

Q. Do you know any of the Bulgarian fans?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Not personally, but I think they are here last year and it's so nice to see them again today.

Q. Dustin is kind of a unique player. How tricky was it for you to play against him? Maybe hard to get into a rhythm?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Yeah, it's never easy to play against him. I believe I played against him on clay court maybe three, four years ago. I remember it was tight three sets. You don't know what to expect against him. I think the biggest thing for me today was that I just came out on the court and I was really composed. I knew what I had to do, and I just didn't -- I didn't feel like I gave him chance to do his game, so to speak. Didn't give him chance to play his shots. I think that discouraged him a little bit. After a couple breaks I already knew the match can go on my side, but at the same I have to stay focused. It's best-of-five sets and you never know what kind of shot or ball can take you out of that momentum.

Q. Do you know him personally?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: A little bit. But, yeah.

Q. Do you think personality-wise it lends well to succeeding or excelling on the court if you're an outgoing player? Do you feel like you face the pressure points easier?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: I guess it helps, but sometimes I think it's on the negative side if you think about it. I just never thought about that question. I don't believe I have. I don't know. I think when it comes to certain matches, it really does help you. In the same time, you got to -- at some point you really got to look for yourself. If you play a really good friend of yourself, for example, you can't be that friendly when you come out to play against him. I guess that's that. On the other hand, you can be anything out of the court but everything is said on the court. You just got to give your best shot out there and forget about everything else.

Q. Do you consider yourself shy off the court?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: No.

Q. What's the condition like out there on that court? The courts can get pretty swirly.

GRIGOR DIMITROV: They were very swirly. That was the trickiest thing today. I think I had a warmup around 9:00, 9:30 and it was pretty dark and cold. I was thinking, God is it going to be like that the whole time. The next thing you know I came out on the court it was all sunny and nice weather and all that. It was pretty windy, I must say.

Q. Don't have the roofs over them here, are they less windy because of the way they're constructed?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: I didn't think about that, but I guess at some point it helps a little bit, but not much.

Q. We've seen Milos Raonic debuted a new haircut. Nick Kyrgios has quite the interesting haircut himself. Have you ever thought of doing something like that with your own hair?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: I think I've past that phase. I've had a lot of haircuts, but I think it's -- visually it looks pretty good. Let's see how the guys or the people would rate that. I like it. (Smiling.)
FederPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #617
country flag Cecig

Cecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond repute

Grigor Dimitrov 21-01-15
Wednesday, 21 January, 2015

Q. Would you mind talking about what men's rivalry has been sort of the most impressionable on you, whether it's coming up or now, in men's tennis?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Whew, I don't know. Personally for me, I haven't felt that there's a rivalry at the moment to play against one player over and over again. I mean, obviously, so to speak, the younger generation, the younger guys are really pushing through and winning rounds. If you can call that a rivalry, maybe that's the way it is. But, you know, so far in a way it's early in the tournament to say that. In general, the year just began. Let it unfold a little bit before we jump into any conclusion.

Q. What about for you when you were younger? Were you a tennis fan growing up when you were a kid?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Well, I'm not that young anymore if you think about it, but definitely growing up of course I had idols. I've looked up to a lot of players, following their success, their path. But I think now all that is behind me. I'm doing my own personality in my own way. So I think that's good.

Q. Have you been surprised by Lukas Lacko? He played a solid game today.

GRIGOR DIMITROV: I know him well enough. I think we've played once or twice before. Can be a dangerous player. I mean, of course he's playing pretty flat. He moves all around the court pretty well. He played a really good second set. After that I had a good momentum throughout the whole match. I think I was in control ever since that set.

Q. Within yourself, do you think you're ready to win a slam or do you think you might have a little ways to go?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: If you ask me, of course I'd say yes. But that's something that I definitely need to show I think throughout all the matches and be even more consistent. If I'm ready? Yeah, I think I'm ready. But before you get to the final or something like that, you need to go through quite a few players that are the top right now and playing their greatest tennis. I think the game has evolved so much in the past years that instead of getting easier, it's getting harder. I think you have a lot of guys, they have more experience, they're older, they're fitter. You have that on the radar. But in the same time, you know, I've worked throughout my career so far to position myself in those kind of matches. I'm out there to win those ones, so I think I'm aiming higher.

Q. Maria scored an incredible come-from-behind win today. Can I ask you what makes her so tough?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: I think days like that defines who you are. It's simple.

Q. And the definition of Maria is just...

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Well, I think I should be the last person to sort of judge that, but I think you can't name one thing in particular with her. I think she's been fighting throughout all those years, through everything that is in her way, jumped all the hurdles and all the obstacles. By far the greatest fighter ever.

https://twitter.com/Ce_Giovanniello
Cecig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #618
country flag FederPova

FederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond reputeFederPova has a reputation beyond repute

Q. Reward for the physical work you've been putting in?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: Yeah. Where should I start from? Tough game. I mean, obviously it was a tough game for me. Didn't really feel comfortable on the court. Thought Marcos was playing dominating tennis early on in the match. I wasn't really able to turn things around as fast as I wanted to. I felt quite good physically, which was I think the best sign for me today. I'm not going to hide my excitement of winning the match because it meant a lot to me. To be able to play three and a half hours and win 6-3 in the fifth and feelin really good after the match physically, that says a lot for me. Just getting ready for the next one.

Q. A couple days ago you called Maria the greatest fighter ever. What about the match today, the fight that you showed?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: I just said matches like that really defines I think who you are and how you want to be, I don't know, remembered, your nickname, whatever you guys want to call it. I just feel that matches like that, it's really important to win, even if it's not on your best days. I think this is how you go forward. Today was one of those days for me, that I didn't really feel good on the court, wasn't really comfortable with my game, but I found a way to fight through it two sets to one down. To me that says a lot. In the same time, gives me a lot of confidence.

Q. Do you think 18 months ago, two years ago, you might have let that match go?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: Let it go (smiling)? I'm sure I wouldn't perform that way, that's for sure. But, you know, I think that's in the past. I'm happy that I've worked my way through that stage and that I'm going to be better from now on.

Q. Why do you think you weren't feeling comfortable today?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: Because it's not every day you wake up in the morning and you feel 100% to play tennis, you know. Especially on days like that, it's really important to keep your sanity, you know, give what you got, play with what you have. So to me was just one of those days that pretty much nothing was going my way. But the only thing I had was like my composure, my physicality that really came through in the fifth set. I thought I played smart when I had to. I think that made a lot of big difference, especially in his game. I thought he was performing really well. I thought he played a really good tennis. So I just had to come up with some extra stuff from me, and I think I did.

Q. Did you have some shoe issues? You switched two or three times.
GRIGOR DIMITROV: Yeah, but it's all in the frame. I think I finished the match with shoes on my feet, so that's good. Yeah, I have enough to finish the tournament with.

Q. Andy took the first set 6-1. If it's going to be him in the next round, how much do you look forward to that matchup?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: Well, it's a great matchup for me. I'm always excited to play against him. You know, I had a tough loss against him in Paris. So, you know, it's a good matchup. I always like that kind of challenge. I think physically and mentally I'm ready to play that match and really give 100% from myself. I'm going out there to win the match. So there's nothing else I can say about it.

Q. Do you look at your Wimbledon quarterfinal as maybe the best match you played at a slam so far?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: Maybe. I would say maybe. But I don't really think so. It just happened for me on that day to really play good. I thought I really played good on that day. I use every single mistake that he did. I'm sure if I play him in the next round he's going to be really focused and composed and wants to do everything to stop me. In the same time, I'm feeling really ready, and I like my chances every time I go out on the court. So I think it's going to be a great matchup.

Q. Are you expecting a different Murray from that day? He was very flat on that day.
GRIGOR DIMITROV: Yeah, absolutely. I mean, I think you hardly ever see like top players to feel really flat early on in the match. I think it's a different scenario this time. I think he has a lot to look forward to. I think adding up the new team, I think it's all fresh. I think it's going to give him a bit more excitement to compete, which I'm certainly aware of. But in the same time, I feel that I'm pretty stable around me as well. I think the only thing I can do is get out there and play my tennis.

Q. It was twice last year. Was there anything particularly you did both matches that that you think will come to you forefront?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: Played only once at a Grand Slam. As I said, just that day it was not him out there on the court. I think we all know that. I think all the other matches have been always close against him. We always had good battles. We know how we play, so there's no secrets out on the court, which is in a way nice to have. At least you know what to expect. I think it's going to come down to those kind of little moments that we can use.

Q. You gave a passionate salute to your box today. How has Roger helped you on days like today?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: I thought I was really calm and composed throughout the match today. I think this is what I really needed today. I couldn't really push myself even more. But deep down I knew what I had to do. I knew what I wanted also from my team, to cheer me up in a certain way. I mean, I'm sure they believed in me throughout the whole match, so I knew I had their backup. In the end, I just really pulled it through in a manner that I wanted to. You know, it's all teamwork.

Q. What you said about Maria the other day, did she have anything to say about your praise?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: You should ask her about that (smiling).

Q. The atmosphere was charged on Show Court 3 with all the cheering. Did you feel strong support from your fans? Did that help you?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: Always. You know, it's always. But Marcos has always been a favorite guy out here. Of course, the crowd was cheering that's in the game, and you just got to embrace it. I like it. I mean, I like it when the atmosphere is like that. Actually fills me up with a positive thoughts. At the same, time it's nice to prove someone wrong.

Q. Gives you something to hit against?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: I wish I could have hit a ball in some other direction, but that's not the case. I think also those kind of matches really help you through mentally. I think I played also quite a few matches, Davis Cup matches, that got me through situations like that. For me it wasn't something new that I was discovering, but in the same time it felt kind of nice.

Q. You and Andy still good friends?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: I think we respect each other. We say hi to each other. No hard feelings. When you get to the court, everything's changing, right?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #619
country flag FederPova

Grigor Dimitrov 25-01-15
Sunday, 25 January, 2015

Q. Did you feel like you were a bit jinxed at the end?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Jinxed or not, when you play a match like that, you don't actually think about anything. I'm not going to hide my disappointment. I'm pissed.

Q. That was a bad call on the serve, the one that had to be replayed?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: I guess when it comes to moments like that, everything is in the game. Obviously it was supposed to happen that way.

Q. Murray said it came down to a bit of luck. Is that your view, or do you feel there are other things you could have done?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: You mean me playing my game?

Q. Yes.

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Of course. I mean, if you lose you obviously haven't done some things right. You know, I'm happy that I competed at a good level and it takes a player like Andy to beat me like that. You know, I'm just disappointed because it's not the result that I wanted. For sure I could have done things better, some things better.

Q. You were leading 5-2 and it was deuce. You hit a forehand on the line. The line judge called it wide. Murray's shot was wide. Do you think that was a breaking point of the match?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: No. I don't think this is a breaking point. Especially when it comes to points like that, you don't think about it. You just want to focus for the next shot, for the next point. I mean, I thought it was just a weird call because he actually played the ball and the ball went out, and then I don't know. I don't even remember anymore, so... It's in the past.

Q. The level of the match seemed good. You both played well. Does that give you any kind of satisfaction?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Well, I think this is what is expected, to come out there and play a match like that. Satisfaction? That's very hard to say. I mean, that's hard to say. You know, it's also good for me to see what I did good, what I can do better next time. I think Andy played a really high level throughout the whole match. Not going to hide that. I mean, that I could have done things better? Yes, I could have at certain moments, but that doesn't justify the match.

Q. Do you think he played well enough to go much deeper in the tournament? Do you see him as a strong favorite now?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: I think only the upcoming matches would show that. I say it's still early in the tournament. Even though it's quarterfinals, the next rounds, anything can happen. I mean, if you play, if you compete, the odds are on your side.

Q. Do you feel you should have taken more risks in the match or are you happy with the way it went?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: No, I don't think I should have done anything different. I had a clear game plan and I knew what I wanted to do. I was actually pretty relaxed. And coming out there on the court, I just felt that I've played matches on this kind of court before, I knew the opponent, and so in a way I was really composed with the way I wanted to play and what I wanted to do on the court. As I said, you know, you always can do something better. But taking risk or not, it's a whole other story.

Q. Do you feel Andy really stepped it up in the fourth set when you were 5-2 up?

GRIGOR DIMITROV: Yeah, absolutely. I mean, I thought he returned really good today. My serve wasn't at the level that I wanted. I think that sort of made the biggest difference. If you think about it, it was just one break. You never have a guarantee that, you know, you're going to win the set. I mean, Andy's a great returner, so you always got to pick your spots pretty good. If not, you know he's going to get the ball back. Of course, that puts a little bit more pressure on your side.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #620
country flag Cecig

Cecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond repute

Q: One of the things we heard your colleagues say about you this last time when you had to pull out of the tour again—I think it was Dimitrov and Nadal who said this—is that maybe you should try to change the way you hit your backhand. How long can it take for a player to change his style of play when he’s built a whole career playing a certain way? Is it possible to change the way you do something, when you’ve done it your entire life in a determined way?

JMDP: Yes, I listened to those things. Dimitrov even told me this in person, that I should start to hit a one-handed backhand. I think if I start practising one-handed backhands today, I wouldn’t even be able to hit it like Franco [Davin] hits it today (laughs). But, it’s too hard. It would be way too complicated. I’m not even considering it. I want to recover my hand and be able to hit [my backhand] hard like I’ve done throughout my career. I think they meant something like, “If this is a career-threatening thing, then you should try to hit it with one hand.” If that was the case, I’ll take it as advice; but right now, I’m willing to make the effort to recover my backhand. I want to have not only a powerful forehand but also a powerful backhand, like I always did.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #621
country flag Cecig

Grigor Dimitrov has plenty of reason to like Acapulco. For one, “it’s the best when you have the beach so close” said the 23-year-old Bulgarian, who has used every spare moment to take a dip or walk along the coast.

Beyond the beach, Dimitrov has fond memories of his visit last year, when he won the Abierto Mexicano Telcel on his tournament debut. He capped off his title run in dramatic fashion. After defeating Andy Murray in a semi-final battle that finished at 2:30am local-time, he returned to the court the next night against Kevin Anderson and closed out another three-hour, post-midnight victory in a third set tie-break.

Now it’s time for Dimitrov to get back down to business as the defending champion at the ATP World Tour 500 tournament. “It’s a nice feeling to have” he said. “There’s always a strong field out here. I’m at a good level at the moment and I’m excited to start my campaign.”

Despite the competitive field, Dimitrov felt good about his chances in Acapulco. “It’s not easy conditions” said the World No. 10. “It’s very warm and humid, so not everyone likes that. I pride myself on conditions like that. I really feel that I can do well.”

Acapulco provided the springboard for his success last year. Dimitrov went on to win three titles on as many surfaces, including Bucharest (clay) and Queen’s Club (grass), and joined Nishikori and Milos Raonic as members of the new generation to break into the Top 10. This season, he began his campaign by reaching the Brisbane semi-finals (l. to Federer) and fourth round at the Australian Open (l. to Murray).

“I think at the moment everyone is playing good tennis, and everyone is pushing through really hard in the [Emirates ATP] Rankings to make their marks out there and win more tournaments and win bigger events” he said. “I think the competition is really big at the moment and that’s the beauty of it. It’s also very exciting for me to be out there on the court and perform every time because you see also how everyone is developing at the moment.

“I’m just thinking about how to go to the next step and just win bigger events, play better. I think the game is way more important, and after that the results will come.”

Dimitrov will play 22-year-old Serbian Filip Krajinovic in his first-round match. He is seeded to face Karlovic in the quarter-finals and Ferrer in the semi-finals.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...v-Preview.aspx