Mens Tennis Forums banner

Wawrinka vs Cilic

Cilic vs Wawrinka (who is better)

11K views 93 replies 53 participants last post by  tvitinman 
#1 ·
I had an argue with a friend, about who is better, imho Wawrinka is by far the better and alot more talented player, but lacks the mental stamina to be higher in the rankings.

His ground-strokes are amazing, same as his backhand, and the ability to play attacking tennis are way above Cilic's

Please vote.

#2 ·
Pretty much what you said. Stan has the potential to even fluke a Masters1000 while Cilic is no threat to the top guys.

#5 ·
Cilic is the better player. Cilic 'best level'/'God mode' is one of the scariest on tour, as he can actually do a lot of damage both off his serve and his return (one of the best returners on tour imo). He's a player who could potentially win a Slam at some point if he overcomes his mental woes - his career actually reminds me of Berdych somewhat, hope he can somehow get it (relatively) together as Tomas did soon. There's no reason why he shouldn't be a future top 5 player at least.

Wawrinka is a great player too, who hasn't maximized his talent (while Cilic still can given his young age), but I'll give the edge to Cilic. His return of serve and movement are probably the best I've seen for a guy his size.

#6 ·
is this even a question? Wawrinka (and I like Cilic).

#7 ·
Wawrinka has a vast h2h against all the top guys so for every 'close' match there could be another one where he didn't have many chances so it's hard to make this kind of comparison with Cilic but I think the mere h2h between these two shows a bias towards Stan worth considering. I would take it Cilic might be better on grass actually, there's no doubt Wawrinka is far superior on clay.

#8 ·
Cilic best GS performance:

Australian Open - SF
French Open - 4th round (twice)
Wimbledon - 4th round (twice)
US Open - QF

Career titles - 8
Highest ranking - #9

Wawrinka:

Australian Open - QF
French Open - 4th round (three times)
Wimbledon - 4th round (twice)
US Open - QF

Career titles - 3
Highest ranking - #9

Cilic has the slight edge so far, but more crucially he's far younger and has far more potential to achieve in the future. The answer is clearly Cilic here.

#9 ·
Both are mugs of the highest caliber. Although Cilic takes the cake for his hilarious unforced errors, you could make a highlight video of Mugrin's UE after every match.

#11 ·
Cilic is a good and very complete player but he has no big weapons. He is basically a worse version of Murray. To succeed playing like Murray you really need his talent and tactical mastery.

Wawrinka, on the other hand, can do big damage with his groundstrokes.

#13 ·
Cilic is a good and very complete player but he has no big weapons. He is basically a worse version of Murray. To succeed playing like Murray you really need his talent and tactical mastery.

Wawrinka, on the other hand, can do big damage with his groundstrokes.
Are you sure you've watched Cilic play regularly, especially his best matches? His FH and BH are both very big shots, as is his ROS - I don't have stats with me, but merely from observation I'd say that he gets more winners per match on average than guys like Del Potro (this I'm sure of) and Berdych, although far more UEs too. Not to mention Cilic plays nothing like Murray - he's an attacking big hitter.

Wawrinka, no contest.
Yup. Cilic is 4 years younger and has done better at Slams and won more than 2x titles. He's also higher ranked currently. There's no doubt Wawrinka is the better player. This could have nothing to do with 'Also really like: Wawrinka Dislike: Cilic', could it ;)? Only edge Wawrinka has in this comparison is his performance at M1000 level.

#14 ·
Mugrin/Bendrinka forum. Who gives a shit :stupid:

#15 ·
All Wawrinka has over Cilic is a one handed backhand. And that's all he needs to win this contest.

The one handed backhand - A real mans weapon

#21 ·
:spit: Cilic is by far the superior player. He is still young and is improving. If not for his injury, he might have been a solid top 10 player for a year already. Cilic has no big weapons, but neither does Wawrinka. They both are mental clowns and pigeons of the highest order. They both make stupid UE. The thing which separates them I think is their commitment levels. Cilic does not bend over unless he chokes. Cilic tries to come back from losing positions. Cilic has a better return and even though it sounds funny, Cilic has some on court strategy which Wawrinka hasnt. Whether it works or not is another question, but there is little doubt that Cilic is the better player out of the 2.

#25 ·
:spit::superlol: GOAT bump, we all know who is more talented. Stan>Mugrin all the way

#34 ·
Threads like these are bear traps for expert analysts.. Gotta be careful with what you say..

Cilic still has time to prove he's got game, so best not rip on his chances to turn this contest around just yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.