Mens Tennis Forums banner

Quick Questions Thread

372K views 3K replies 580 participants last post by  umbrellapub 
#1 ·
I think there could be a thread for questions that don't need an own thread. If one already exist, please merge this with it.

Anyway, my question is what is the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor tennis. Naturally there's no wind indoors. And why indoor courts are considered to be faster and how does closing the roof affects at Wimbledon?

Reactions: Motoflou
#869 ·
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Is MTF the biggest forum measured by the members? Is there any other forum as vast as MTF and as diverse as this?

#875 ·
Re: Murray seeding at Wimbledon

4, He'll likely to be toasted by Djokodal in SF.

#878 ·

How are umpires decided for every ATP match? Are there umpires only exclusive to a particular tournament? How does an umpire declare that a player was been disqualified from a match?

#879 ·

How are umpires decided for every ATP match? Are there umpires only exclusive to a particular tournament? How does an umpire declare that a player was been disqualified from a match?
I dont know exactly but I know that the umpires who are going to the GSs are travelling in the whole tour with the top players so they can find the tone.

In other sports the organisation decides by performance i think the ATP probably use a same method like the FIFA for the World Cup. In football you have to start in your national league level (at the lowest) and you can move up by performance, but mostly by your relations.

Can anyone recommand me a website where I can watch the ace count for the whole tournament? I saw a lot of article use this stat but they didint specify any source and I couldnt find anything.

#882 ·

Are there many players who made their Grand Slam main draw debut before there ATP main draw debut? Without a Grand Slam wild card of course. Pütz will do it win Wimbledon.
Laurent Lokoli just did it at Roland Garros :p

#884 ·

Many posters here are claiming large difference between first week of grass and the second. I have no idea how that thing works. I have been Halle and a few clay tournies. I could see the bounce and speed difference clearly between different surfaces. But first and second week of the same tournament, I am confused ???? Any help/explanations.

#885 ·

Many posters here are claiming large difference between first week of grass and the second. I have no idea how that thing works. I have been Halle and a few clay tournies. I could see the bounce and speed difference clearly between different surfaces. But first and second week of the same tournament, I am confused ???? Any help/explanations.
Look at these two images and compare the amount of grass left on court. That's what the talk is about. Grass gets worn away after a while. It is less of a problem in Halle since they only play one week with fewer and shorter matches (Bo3).

#889 ·

Is it possible to learn both a OHBH and a DHBH and make it both competitive shot (I mean, if both have advantages why not try both)?
Possible in theory, sure, but it takes a lot of training to get shots right so I'm not surprised we haven't seen anyone really attempt this.

Another interesting idea is to go "all forehand", playing with both hands. But again, never seen a serious player try that so it's easy to infer it's unlikely to be advantageous.

#899 ·

IS Roger Rasheed the main factor in Dimitrov's rise in level and ranking this year? Does this mean he's a good coach. I heard in the past on MTF, he got a bad rep because he was not a coach but simply a conditioning trainer.

#905 ·

I was just thinking about how comparing match lengths in terms of time can be somewhat misleading if one player takes twice as long as another between points. Comparing the number of points could also be misleading if one match involves lots of long rallies and the other is just a serving contest. So I was wondering if anyone ever publishes stats on the number of total shots hit over the course of match. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

#906 ·

I was just thinking about how comparing match lengths in terms of time can be somewhat misleading if one player takes twice as long as another between points. Comparing the number of points could also be misleading if one match involves lots of long rallies and the other is just a serving contest. So I was wondering if anyone ever publishes stats on the number of total shots hit over the course of match. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
I've never seen it, but I guess someone has them, considering this stat is published in all slams:
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/extrastats/rally_count_ms.html

#909 ·

Do the players in the qualifying draw of world tour events get the same hospitality (hotel, food, transport etc.) as the main draw players?
I can tell you that for the USOpen specifically, the answer is no. However, if a player gets through qualifying into the main draw, the benefits are retroactively applied to their time in the qualy rounds.

#913 ·

Any idea why murray doesn't slide on hard courts ?

#917 ·

Where could I find the stats of how many players currently in the Top are born in the 90s? I would like to compare how many were last year, and how many are this year have broke through. I felt this year there have been a significant number.

#919 ·

Where could I find the stats of how many players currently in the Top are born in the 90s? I would like to compare how many were last year, and how many are this year have broke through. I felt this year there have been a significant number.
I am sometimes amazed this thread is not better known.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=236585

Look at the OP.

#923 ·

Hello,
can you explain me, what it means priority in acceptance list of itf tournaments?
General
Once a player is committed to an ITF Men’s Circuit tournament he may not
enter or compete in any other Tournament that same week except as stated in
Article II. Men’s Player Entry Offences, Item B.3. Playing Another Event /
One Tournament per Week, in the Code of Conduct. A player may apply for
entry into one or more Futures Tournaments for the same week, but he must
state a priority at the time of entry and he will be withdrawn from all except
one tournament in accordance with the entry and withdrawal procedures
outlined in Appendix C

http://www.itftennis.com/media/163754/163754.pdf