Mens Tennis Forums banner

The Wire is the best TV-series ever

6K views 80 replies 33 participants last post by  LD1987 
#1 ·
It sure is the best I ever watched.
I am currently racing through the third season and it's just so good.

Let this be a thread for fans to discuss the show and for others to discover it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/

#46 ·
I had been sitting on this one for months, but I decided to give it a go just before this Christmas. Long story short, I'm almost halfway into season 4. It's very good.

#48 ·
The best show ever. Followed closely in my book by Breaking Bad. Love that show too, but I've never cried over a character dying the way I did with the Wire. Bodie...poor Bodie. Loved that guy.

As you can tell by my avatar, I'm also a huge Omar fan. The courtroom scene from season one? Some of the best 7 minutes of television ever made. As was his famous scene with Brother Mouzone.

#50 ·
What?Not even close.

#51 ·
The first 4 seasons are top notch police/gang/political/school( 4th season) TV. The fifth season is great for all parts but the police one. And this at the core a police show. What a let down. You almost wish they salvaged that part à la Roseanne or Dallas and it was all just a dream.

Nevertheless, brilliant cast. Glad I watched it.

Snoop was the best character, until you realize it was not an act at all. That girl is an actual murderer and was still involved in gangs in 2011.

Bubbles is the heart of the show, especially true after watching the 5th season debacle of the McNulty character.

I really enjoyed the Michael/Duquan story arc. Too bad Tristan Wilds followed it up with the reboot of 90210. WTF? Wasted talent. I'm sure he's filthy rich, but man, that kid should be doing better work than that.

#52 ·
5th season is not that great compared to the first four (specially 1 and 3) but it's not bad. I didn't think the police part wasn't enjoyable or McNulty's character declined. I agree with what he did, Gregs did let me down though.

The actress playing Snoop wasn't the only one playing a character she pretty much is in real life. Most of the gang members and street people were. And all the politicians were insipired in real life people (most of the plots too).

The best character and the heart of the show is Omar definitely.

#53 ·
Don't get me wrong, I liked Omar a lot.

You don't think McNulty evolved from a loveable smartass top notch cop to a happy familly man only to turn into an idiotic ass during the 5th season?

#56 ·
SPOILERS

The whole fabricating evidence, strangling corpses, creating a false serial killer... You know, stuff you don't expect from a top detective. That is professionally. In his personal life, throwing away his new found happiness, with his new family, almost making a conscious decision to embrace alcoholism... Basically, that character became a full blown loser in season 5. But that is me.

That is why I think the cop part of the show was disappointing. The rest was great.

#57 ·
Yeah I don't know how I feel about the serial killer storyline. I've never been completely sold on it. If nothing else it is too sensational when compared to the rest of the show. There is that great scene with the FBI profilers though :lol:

Plus the newspaper doesn't get as fully developed as the institutions in the other seasons. Damn HBO only giving them 10 episodes :mad:

What series have you got lined up next?

#58 ·
Actually, watching The Wire gave me the urge to look if the first season of Murder One was available on DVD and it was! And one seller on Amazon had it new for 20$. So Murder One. :cool:

#59 ·
I've yet to watch it but if it tops Six Feet Under and Breaking Bad I'll be very impressed. Sopranos, Deadwood and Carnivale were also very good.

#66 ·
All among my favorites too. The Wire surpasses them all for me but that's splitting hairs really.
Btw, David Simon, creator of the The Wire, has said that Buffy is the best TV show ever. Man's got it right.
:lol: He really said that?

Buffy is certainly up there. It is a victim of genre bias though, so it gets dismissed or just ignored.
If you like a good police show, check out "The Shield". It's more fast paced than The Wire but almost as good.
The Shield is a thrilling ride indeed. Just don't go in expecting The Wire.
Poor man's Homicide:LOTS.
Whatever you think of the two shows, they are distinctive enough for this to be nonsense.
I'm a big fan of anything David Simon does really, I love Treme almost as much.
It's a shame we only get a measly five episodes to wrap the show up.

#71 ·
I have never seen such intricate character building than in the Wire, it's superb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.