Mens Tennis Forums banner

Roddick Fires Goldfine!!!

8K views 191 replies 38 participants last post by  heya 
#1 ·
Guys:

Just got the word this evening...it's official...Andy Roddick has dismissed Dean Goldfine as his coach effective immediately. Andy's brother John Roddick will assume the coaching duties full time!!!

SAGroove

#4 ·
Okay, I know some of you are going to jump on SA, but remember she (he?) has been right before, so let's just wait and see what happens.

#7 ·
tangerine_dream said:
Sagroove, where did you hear this?

I'm shocked. :eek:

and I shouldn't be.

I cannot reveal my sources but PLEASE trust me, it is 100% factual. I am sure it will hit the media very soon possibly by tomorrow.

I know many in here think I am always full of rubbish BUT everytime I have posted something before the media does, I have been 100% right.

Trust me guys, it is 100% factual.

SAGroove

#8 ·
Did he call London and hire Adam?

Just kidding. My first reaction to this is dismay. To me, it means that Andy may not be seeing the real problem (himself). I don't know what to think of John, I know nothing of his tennis knowledge. I had a good impression of Ginger when I met her (which someone has since tried to dissuade me of for some reason). That's all I have to say about that (for now).

#9 ·
sagroove said:
I cannot reveal my sources but PLEASE trust me, it is 100% factual. I am sure it will hit the media very soon possibly by tomorrow.

I know many in here think I am always full of rubbish BUT everytime I have posted something before the media does, I have been 100% right.

Trust me guys, it is 100% factual.

SAGroove
I actually believe you, you have posted stuff before the media and you were right :eek:

wow, hopefully john can whip his little brother's butt into shape :unsure:

#10 ·
Oh, I believe you Sagroove. Definitely.

So Fat brotha John will be Andy's new coach, eh? I like the idea. I like it because I've heard that John was a more talented player than Andy in his day, and after seeing John with Andy at Wimbledon I had wondered why he didn't coach his little brother? John Roddick is capable of doing everything I've been wanting to see: of getting in Andy's face and not being afraid to piss him off; of lighting a fire under his ass.

The news hasn't even been confirmed and I'm already excited at the prospect. :woohoo:

#11 · (Edited)
sagroove has been correct in the andy past. :worship:

forget dean- does this mean bye-bye max :sad: ?
i hope john can help andy out...a little more

i cannot say im surprised or upset.

heya will have a coniption over this not just another american coach...but his brother :cool: maybe its a good thing?

big roddick with little roddick.

#12 · (Edited)
If this is true then it's a great move. I'm not sure how good big brother is but it's worth a shot. Hopfully Big Bro can help with Andy's mental toughness and actually form a solid game plan. A plan B would be nice instead of standing far behind the baseline and being defensive. Dean's had his chance to help Andy but it wasn’t enough. If the real problem is just Andy shouldn't a coach be able to help with that? Andy doesn't seen to be a stubborn person. He followed Dean and Brad's advice with varying results.

Andy is in a bit of slump. When that happens change is often good. I'm not placing all the blame on Dean but he is part of the problem. I feel that Dean's taken Andy as far as he could and now is a good time to part ways.

#15 ·
As long as Andy goes back to his POWER game and takes risks again with his massive forehand and stops with this pansy shit, he can change coaches 282034 a year for all i care. It is troublesome to see so many coaching changes in a fairly short period of time, but he did gain something with every change of coach (he matured big time with Gilbert and started to realize how to use his strengths, he became more solid and much more fit with goldfine) so hopefully his brother can do all of that and thensome?:shrug:

#16 ·
Umm ok....in a little bit of shock...but then again not so much. :lol: No Max this weekend?!?! :tears: This is tragic!

#22 ·
Fee said:
My first reaction to this is dismay. To me, it means that Andy may not be seeing the real problem (himself).
That's what I thought before I even saw this post of yours. I just hope he knows what he's doing. :shrug:

#23 ·
AR.com the first to announce something officially? I may die of shock. So it's not the same as when he fired Brad, Dean will still do..... something?
=================
Team Roddick Update
February 8th, 2006 12:06 am
By Andyroddick.com Staff

After heartfelt deliberations last Thursday with Dean Goldfine, Andy has decided to bring his older brother, John Roddick, on the road as his traveling coach. Dean, who has traveled with Andy since December of 2004, will remain an integral member of Team Roddick, contributing to Andy’s growth in a consultant position. Dean currently resides in South Florida with his wife and two young children, not far from the Roddick’s home in Boca Raton. The specific responsibilities of Dean’s new advisory role in Team Roddick are to be determined but Andy is very enthusiastic and appreciative for Dean’s continued guidance.

Starting this weekend at the Davis Cup match in La Jolla, California, John Roddick will accompany Andy as his official coach. No stranger to the tennis circuit, John was an All-American tennis player at the University of Georgia from 1996 to 1998. Since 2002 John has served as the Director of the Roddick-Moros International Tennis Academy in San Antonio, Texas both training and traveling with top ITF juniors.

In addition to a strong tennis background, John inspires a level of drive and motivation in Andy achievable by few others. Andy has always attributed his fighting spirit to the encouragement of his family and having John as a traveling coach offers the ideal combination of brother and mentor. Andy’s strong emphasis on family already extends to his professional relationships. He has achieved great success working with those close to kin. Parents, Blanche and Jerry, are the Chairmen of the Andy Roddick Foundation and sister in law Ginger is Andy’s publicist.

Ar.com extends a huge welcome to John and we look forward to hearing from him throughout the season. As always, check back to ar.com for news on Team Roddick.

#25 ·
ar.com...whaaaaaaat?
wow.

AND, it's the first one where they mention that dean has TWO young children... d:
(it's sad that that's the first thing that jumped at me |: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.