Mens Tennis Forums banner

Most memorable sports moments ever!!!

12K views 142 replies 63 participants last post by  JKT76 
#1 ·
Argentina versus England '98. ;) The joy in having won then was just undescribable. It was suuuch a tense match. (I was abroad when '86 happened.)
Also when Argentina won the gold in basketball. :D

It really, really sucks to lose in the world cup though. I was depressed for a week after the last WC. :sad: Not as much as my older brother though, he locked himself in the car with a bottle of liquor and cried himself to sleep listening to opera. :eek: True story.

#2 ·
Hicham's Olympic Gold Medals, '94 WC final, '98 WC final, Euro 2000, Marat winning USO, Villeneuve and Hakkinen becoming World Champions, Morocco reaching the final of the ANC 2004, 2002 Uefa Cup Final,...

#4 ·
Juan Carlos Ferrero winning the French Open title in 2003. Without a doubt.

#6 · (Edited)
Goran Ivanisevic FINALLY winning his precious Wimbledon! :worship:

Carlos Moya winning his Roland Garros title :worship:

Andre Agassi's first Wimbledon title :worship:

and Dan Jansen after all the heartache FINALLY getting his gold medal in the 1000 meters speedskating :worship:

I :bigcry: my eyes out at all four! :lol:

#7 · (Edited)
Safin beating Federer in the Australian Open semi final and then winning the final. Roddick/Younes is another one of my favorites as well.

The Iraq Football team at the Athens 2004 Olympic Games.

Andreea Raducan winning the 2000 Olympic All Around - just a shame that the whole thing had to end the way it did and Romania winning in 2004.

The 2002 UEFA Champions League final with Zidanes amazing goal.

#9 ·
k, found it: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=23054&highlight=sport, but it is supposed to be "apart from tennis". of course I didn't listen:
moments that made icicles glide down my spine for hours, my eyes hurt 'cause of too much crying or a general state of ultimate joy:

Ajax' European campaign in 1995: introduced me to the magic that is football through the art of Jari Litmanen and his team

Jan Ullrich's first win in the Tour de France.

Every major tournament I've seen Alexei Nemov compete.

Ian Thorpe's gold races in world championships and Olympic games, especially Fukuoka.

Hicham El Guerrouj' gold medals at 1500 and 5000 meters in Athens.

Justine Henin Hardenne's semifinal battles:
Wimby 01 against Capriati: opened my eyes, I saw a grand slam winner in her for the first time
RG 03 against Serena: I yelled out of my window and was known as the crazy girl from then on among my neighbours)
Olympics 04 against Myskina: Anastasia's despair was heartbreaking, Justine's heart was astounding

#10 ·
GOOD

Manchester United's Treble in 1999... (not a fan but it was fun to see)

Steve Redgrave's FIFTH gold at the Sydney Games 2000- I remember I couldn't watch... I sat quietly in my room... and my Dad came in and told me.. it was about 1 am... but I started to party then!!

Damon Hill winning the World F1 crown in 1996

The GB coxless fours (rowing) in Athens... how close was that!!

The Oxford University Eight winning by a foot after 4 miles of rowing in 2003..

Amberlrigh House winning the Grand National in 2004

Best Mate's third Gold Cup in 2004

Istabraq's third Champion Hurdle in 2002...

and how could I forget to mention crying like a baby when England won the RUGBY WORLD CUP....

BAD...

any time Cambridge win the Boat Race... bastards..

Aryton Senna's death- 1994

Mike Tyson and ear gate...in fact.. just Mike Tyson would qualify..

there are other's but I don't like thinking of bad stuff...

#11 ·
Champions league final 1999, man unt scoring 2 winning goals in the 90th minute!

John higgins winning the world snooker championships in 1998.

Vijay singh winning the 2000 U.S Masters.

more recent, Federer winning his 2nd Wimbledon title.... but im still waiting for my all time dream in sport.. Scotland winning the football world cup in the same season St Mirren win the champions league :rocker2:

#12 ·
Escude said:
Scotland winning the football world cup in the same season St Mirren win the champions league :rocker2:
Keep waiting my love.... as they say.. the meek shall inherit the earth!! :angel:

Mind you.. I'm waiting for Grimsby Town FC to score a bloody goal... I think I may be in for a longer wait than you!! ;)

#13 ·
Escude said:
It sure does suck supporting our little local teams :awww: :lol:
i bet Grimbsy are better than scotland :rolleyes:
Only if Scotland have already gone into administration... Grimsby are about to!!! (we're only the £million in debt!!)

#15 ·
Escude said:
How is it possible for silly little teams to get into millions of debt! :p
I don't know how other teams manage it... but the bright sparks at Grimsby just decided not to pay their tax bill!!

How dumb is that?!! :banghead: :smash:

#16 ·
did you know a scottish team , Patrick Thistle almost had to go out of business a few years ago because someone left the flood lights on all night and the electricity bill almost bankrupted them :lol: :help: :rolls:

#17 ·
I have quite a few moments on my mind:

Jan Ullrich winning "Le Tour"

Michael Groß winning all his swimming titles (anyone remember the man at the mic screaming "Flieg, Albatros, Flieg!"?)

World Cup Final 1990

Frank Busemann winning Decathlon silver at 1996 Olympics

German ski jumping team winning gold in 1994 and 2002 Olympics

last year's Biathlon world championships, men's relay, awesome!!!

me winning 200m Dolphin for my school in regional swimming championships in 1993 & 94 ( just my great personal moment :lol: )

and of course, Boris Becker's first Wimbledon title in 1985, that's when I wanted to learn tennis myself

#18 ·
Escude said:
did you know a scottish team , Patrick Thistle almost had to go out of business a few years ago because someone left the flood lights on all night and the electricity bill almost bankrupted them :lol: :help: :rolls:
:haha: :haha: :haha:

YOU HAVE JUST MADE MY WEEK!!!

#19 ·
Marat's AO 2005
Ian Thorpe winning the 200 m free at the Olympics 2004
Alexei Yagudin winning the gold medal in Salt Lake City
Brian Joubert becoming European Champion in Budapest 2004
Elena Dementieva reaching the USO final (and losing it is one of my worst memories).
Romania
reaching the Davis Cup qf last week.
Steaua Bucharest beating Valencia in the UEFA Cup
Romania
winning the gold medal in gymnastics both in Sydney and athens
Ian Thorpe winning 6 gold medals in Japan
All Alexei Yagudin's win in WC and EC
Marat winning Bercy 2004

#20 · (Edited)
From top of my head
Rulon Gardner's Sydney gold
the fluke of all flukes by Bradbury
the chokes of all chokes by Emmons (still in progress a little bit)
Turkey road through EURO 2008 (football)
football UEFA CL final 2005 (also Chelsea this year in knockout stage)
Hakkinen vs Shitmacher Spa 2000
El Guerrouj at the 2004 Olympics
Laguna Seca 2008 MotoGP
Goran 2001 Wimbledon
Mansell-senna Monaco 1993(or 92?)
Miracle on ice
The Belarus-Sweden game in Salt Lake 2002
Isner-Mahut
Estevez-Baala finish in Munich 2002
Drummond in Paris 2003 100m QF
the last futsal WC final
Brazil in 1970 FIFA WC
Sanchez winning over 40 races in a row but quite far form WR
Ronaldinho at the Brazil-England 2002 match
Porto-Celtic UEFA cup final
Jacobeliss fall in Turin 2006 etc etc

#21 ·
1950s-Roger Bannister breaking the four-minute mile
1960s-Abebe Bikila becoming the first Ethiopian to win the Olympic marathon and, four years later, becoming the first man to repeat as Olympic marathon champion
1970s-Nadia Comaneci becoming the first gymnast to earn perfect 10s when that was the highest score a gymnast can recieve (I don't understand the current scoring system)
1980s-Miracle on Ice; Joan Benoit's victory in the inaugural women's Olympic marathon
1990s-Ethiopia's Derartu Tulu and South Africa's Elana Meyer taking first and second at the Barcelona 10,000 meters women's race
2000-Spain winning Davis Cup, led by Juan Carlos Ferrero
2009 and 2011-Spain winning Davis Cup, with Juan Carlos Ferrero in the semis (2009) and David Ferrer and Rafael Nadal in finals

#22 ·
Mine come from the Vancouver Olympics.

Joannie Rochette. Favorite to medal, home Olympics so the pressure is on.

Two days before her competition starts, he mom passed away just after she arrived in Vancouver. With a whole nation behind her, she did this 2 days later and eventually won bronze:

Again, figure skating, ice dance, Virtue-Moir, Gold. Expected to medal (they had won silver and bronze the last 2 WC), but they could get the gold. And they did. And it was pure magic.

Special mention:

Silken Laumann Single Sculls, bronze medal, Barcelona Olympics. Her leg was destroyed mid-May and she needed 5 operations and weeks in the hospital.

4x100 relay Gold medal Canada at the Atlanta Games.

#112 ·
Again, figure skating, ice dance, Virtue-Moir, Gold. Expected to medal (they had won silver and bronze the last 2 WC), but they could get the gold. And they did. And it was pure magic.

Scott and Tessa :inlove:

that one swimming relay where lezak beat the living crap out of the frenchman

Lezak, fucking legend.

#23 ·
Alexander Belov for the Soviets 1972 Olympic basketball final
Everton 0-3 Tranmere (FA Cup)
2004 Athens Olympics 4x100 relay race
Wimbledon 2001
Soderling def Nadal RG 09
Netherlands-Brazil USA 94
USA 94 as a whole
Michael Owen vs Argentina 98

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.