Mens Tennis Forums banner

Hip-Hop the thread

38K views 351 replies 75 participants last post by  JesusG 
#1 · (Edited)
We need one of these for sure.

Discuss modern and old school rap in this thread. To get the ball rolling, here are my current favorite rappers, in otherwords rappers than are rapping today: (No order) T.I., Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, Jay-Z, Ludacris, Eminem, Nas.

There are some others that could make that list but aren't consistent enough.

You could also swing to the glory days to discuss the likes of Tupac, Bigggie Smalls, Eazy E, Ice Cube etc. etc.

Recent albums:

Blueprint 3 (Jay Z): I just got this. It's alright through my 1st couple of listens. Only 2 songs really stand out to me and that is Empire State of Mind and What we Talkin' Bout . Empire State of Mind is a work of art and I appreciate it more after having visited New York this past summer. On to the Next One is actually one of my favs despite much hate for it.

Upcoming:

Lasers (Lupe Fiasco): I am dying for this album to come out. Lupe has sick flow and is a real lyricist, I can't wait for his latest work, after dropping The cool as his latest album.

So basically just discuss anything related to hip-hop that interests you here.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Hip-Hop music thread

I'm not a huge hip-hop or rap fan, but I do think I have Out Here Grindin' on my ipod :lol: I like TI, and I have a little bit of Flo Rida. I also think I have Buy U a Drank from T-Pain...but the point is I find it tolerable...at least hip-hop. I'm not really good with rap at all

#6 ·

Out here grindin is an alright song. I was high on it when I made my account plus it realtes to tennis. But a better song is We takin Over by Khaled.

I know all of T.I.'s albums very well. I really like his style and his lyrics get better in Paper Trail.

I like to see Kanye being featured on some recent tracks that bring his rapping back. (ex. Run This Town). His latest album Graduation was great (808 and Heartbreaks, dosen't count as a hip-hop album to me). As Hova(Jay-Z) says "Get back to rap, you T-paining to much"

Let me just put this out there now: The likes of T-Pain and Ne-yo do not belong in this thread. Create you own thread for that if you wish called "Shit music thread". :p. Nah but really that's more like R&B.

#7 ·

For starters:

Akon, Black Eyed Peas, Bun B, Chamillionaire, Chingy, Crime Mob, D12, Khaled, DMX, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Flo-Rida, Game, Gorilla Zoe, Hot Boys, Immortal Technique, Jay-Z, Juvenile, Kanye, Lil Wayne, Ludacris, Nas, Nelly, Biggie, Obie Trice, Outkast, Papoose, Paul Wall, Rick Ross, Sean Kingston, Snoop Dogg, T.I., Tech N9ne, Three 6 Mafia, Timbaland, Tony Yayo, Trick Daddy, Tupac, Twista, Xzibit, Ying Yang Twins, Young Buck, Young Jeezy and 50 Cent.

I don't understand all the Lupe Fiasco love. I haven't heard much of him, but one of my friends literally sucks his cock everytime we discuss hip hop. Sayin Lupe is better than 2pac and what not. I feel like punching the shit outta him :lol:

#42 ·

For starters:

Akon, Black Eyed Peas, Bun B, Chamillionaire, Chingy, Crime Mob, D12, Khaled, DMX, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Flo-Rida, Game, Gorilla Zoe, Hot Boys, Immortal Technique, Jay-Z, Juvenile, Kanye, Lil Wayne, Ludacris, Nas, Nelly, Biggie, Obie Trice, Outkast, Papoose, Paul Wall, Rick Ross, Sean Kingston, Snoop Dogg, T.I., Tech N9ne, Three 6 Mafia, Timbaland, Tony Yayo, Trick Daddy, Tupac, Twista, Xzibit, Ying Yang Twins, Young Buck, Young Jeezy and 50 Cent.

I don't understand all the Lupe Fiasco love. I haven't heard much of him, but one of my friends literally sucks his cock everytime we discuss hip hop. Sayin Lupe is better than 2pac and what not. I feel like punching the shit outta him :lol:
BEP is hip hop? I would consider them more pop/club. Actually, what is the difference between hip hop and rap? I know sometimes the terms are used interchangeably.

#8 ·

not a big fan of hip-hop but here are some of the albums I listen from time to time

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Outkast - Stankonia
Jay Z - The Blueprint
cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD
Why? - Alopecia
RJD2 - Deadringer
MF Doom - mmm...Food

#9 ·

Lupe Fiasco gets love because he is a unique type of rapper. With alll the new rappers that use synthesizers and spend no time on lyrics Lupe departs from that. His latest album The Cool is pretty good. Some of his themes aren't liked by the streets because they are little high-brow for that audience. As he addresses in Dumb it Down. I personally like Lupe's flowing, clear and thoughtful lyrics, his beats remind me of kanye's somewhat. If you want to hear his bets songs lyrically listen too: Hip-Hop Saved my Life and Streets on Fire.

Better than 2pac? He'll never have the same following and influence that 2pac had.

#11 ·

Lupe Fiasco gets love because he is a unique type of rapper. With alll the new rappers that use synthesizers and spend no time on lyrics Lupe departs from that. His latest album The Cool is pretty good. Some of his themes aren't liked by the streets because they are little high-brow for that audience. As he addresses in Dumb it Down. I personally like Lupe's flowing, clear and thoughtful lyrics, his beats remind me of kanye's somewhat. If you want to hear his bets songs lyrically listen too: Hip-Hop Saved my Life and Streets on Fire.

Better than 2pac? He'll never have the same following and influence that 2pac had.
I can dig that Lupe is better than the current crop of rappers, but that really isn't saying much.

I'd rather listen to some old school stuff all day :shrug:

Rap doesn't and won't get better than this track.

No need for bling, and clownish props. Just saying how it was and actually having a message.
Awesome track.

#10 ·

Rap doesn't and won't get better than this track.

No need for bling, and clownish props. Just saying how it was and actually having a message.

#12 ·

Fight the Power and others of that era had some testicular fortitude.

#13 ·

Fight the Power and others of that era had some testicular fortitude.
So you're more of an 80's Public Enemy, Run-DMC, N.W.A. kinda guy?

#16 · (Edited)

My personal favorite Tupac song is Tradin War Stories and Changes. The rappers featured on that track are better than 90% of the ones nowadays.

here's another real track:

my problem with modern hiphop is the overuse of sounds that just add confusion and drown out anything good.

#70 ·

German hip-hop is done. There was some good stuff like 8-10 years ago, but now it's basically only mugs left.
German hip-hop was great back in the nineties,just like French,but French is still good though.

Great old school track from New Zeland.

Nowadays 90 % of mainstream stuff is a pure crap,i prefer listening underground and alternative hip hop artists.

#22 ·

It's not possible to pick just one.

It all depends on what mood I'm in. I love everything on the Killuminati album, though. All Eyez on Me was awesome too, but Killuminati was fire from track 1 to 12.

#23 ·

Not world's biggest hip-hop fan in the world but here are some albums in my collection I like a lot.

Public Enemy - Nation of Millions, Fight the Power, Apocolyse 91
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday, Temples of Boom, IV
Nas - Illmatic
Eric B and Rakim - Paid in Full
K-os - Atlantis
Dilated Peoples - The Platform
Roots Manuva - Brand New Second Hand
Beastie Boys - License to Ill, Check Your Head, Paul's Boutique
Buck 65 - Man Overboard
Dr. Dre - The Chronic, 2001
Snoop - Doggystyle
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Busta Rhymes - ELE

#76 ·

Not world's biggest hip-hop fan in the world but here are some albums in my collection I like a lot.

Public Enemy - Nation of Millions, Fight the Power, Apocolyse 91
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday, Temples of Boom, IV
Nas - Illmatic
Eric B and Rakim - Paid in Full
K-os - Atlantis
Dilated Peoples - The Platform
Roots Manuva - Brand New Second Hand
Beastie Boys - License to Ill, Check Your Head, Paul's Boutique
Buck 65 - Man Overboard
Dr. Dre - The Chronic, 2001
Snoop - Doggystyle
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Busta Rhymes - ELE
nice collection Henry :cool:

#24 ·

I love hip-hop, but I don't really like anything from the past 10 years (except for maybe some Jay-Z, DJ Quik, and Ludacris). Everything now is crap. :ras: I like 80's and 90's rap - 2Pac, Biggie, Snoop, Dr. Dre, Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, LL, Run-DMC, Grandmaster Flash, etc. I liked a lot of it from back then. ;)

#25 ·

I wouldn't go as far as saying everything now is crap. There is still some good stuff ebing made out there. But the good stuff has more old school feel to it. Here's an example:

Hip Hop is not dead. At least not yet.

"Hip Hop ain't dead it just had a heart attack, but you see I keep it pumping".
-Lil Wayne (what's ironic is that he is the heart attack)

#29 ·

Damn, you guys don't actually have a bad taste. I was expecting a lot of MTV garbage in this thread, but instead I see some good artists and albums from the classic era :yeah:

I'm more into classic 90's hip-hop (some 80's stuff too), especially East Coast hip-hop. I grew up on listening to ATCQ, De La Soul, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, The Roots etc. I like today's hip-hop too but it's mostly artists that either started in the 90's and managed to stay relevant till this day, or artists who follow in their footsteps. My favorite MC's as of now are Common and Nas (especially these two), The Game, Ludacris, Q-Tip, Talib Kweli, Sean Price, Jay-Z, Termanology...

I was also recently at B.o.B's concert, this guy is T.I.'s protégé and I hope he will get big in the future. His performance was impressive, he can play guitar, rap and sing. It's always good to see a new artist who can give you hopes that hip-hop has a future :) http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=50220613

I'll post some of my favorite songs when I'm bored :)

BTW in the past couple of years I've moved from hip-hop to soul music, and now I also listen to a lot of the 70's soul that hip-hop often samples from.

#30 ·

Not a fan of hip-hop music especially the current generation but a good album to add is "I'll sleep when you're dead" from El-P who's quite an open-mind able to work with Zach De la Rocha or jam with Yo la Tengo for instance.

#34 ·

I love that song. :)

BTW in the past couple of years I've moved from hip-hop to soul music, and now I also listen to a lot of the 70's soul that hip-hop often samples from.
I was always into R&B/soul as much as hip-hop. But to me, mainstream R&B now is like mainstream hip-hop --> 99.99% crap. :lol: (The good stuff must be hidden underground ;)). Most of the R&B I listen to is from the 70's to the 90's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.