Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

159K views 5K replies 24 participants last post by  Lee 
#1 ·
New chat thread! That last one went by so quick!!

Reactions: Alaricus
#1,411 ·
On a tennis court, there are two archetypes of angry players.

The first category, the Ragers, tend to give credence to the maxim “actions speak louder than words.” In this case, their actions tend to revolve around racquet-smashing and other types of violent property destruction. Marat Safin is the prototypical Rager. The anger is always internally directed and hard to verbalize, so the Rager resorts to yelling in tongues and throwing things against hard surfaces. On a bad day, I’m a Rager. I’ve broken my share of racquets since I started playing.

The second category is Whiners. Instead of directing their anger inwards, Whiners direct their negative energy toward those around them – opponents, line judges, umpires; even fans. John McEnroe is probably the most famous Whiner who’s ever played the game. His trademark tirades are poetic even in the heat of the moment. While the Rager makes his point using brute force, the Whiner often operates with emotional sophistication and a dose of prickliness. At his worst, the Rager is liable to blast the ball ten feet out on purpose; Whiners will instead choose to hand the match over with a succession of ill-timed drop shots or simply by walking off the court and throwing his tennis bag into the crowd.
Snoo Foo told a story about two club players. She had stuck around to cheer on her friend who was an older guy and clearly outclassed by his young opponent. She and a couple of others wanted to support him knowing he would lose. But the old guy kept hanging in the points and kept bothering his young opponent with his steadiness and refusal to go away even when he was behind and losing. The young guys agitation kept growing and growing until finally he broke his racquet and sprayed e She aquipment around the court and grabbed his bag and left. LEFT THE COURT! Even though he was winning. He couldn't take it. :lol: She was flabbergasted.

#1,418 ·
:tape: :haha:

Nina's fine. Sure she's aggressive in her defense of Nole, but I think the reason she gets grief is because she is a woman. Most of the men who post on GM are 10 times worse than she is. She rarely takes pot shots at other posters and doesn't engage in name calling of other players as to 8 out of 10 GM posters. If she were a man, she'd be considered an average poster who supports her favorite, but because she's a woman, people discount her knowledge and dismiss her as a "fangirl."

Sorry. I didn't mean to get into this, but I think Nina takes a lot of undeserved grief on this board. And I think the reason is that posters here think she doesn't "keep to her place" as befits a woman posting on MTF.

Exactly! Posters she takes pot shots at are the ones constantly harass her in the first place and I have never seen her bad mouthing other players.

#1,475 ·
ACC is ridic :lol:

ACC is designed for adolescent boys by a grown man who still behaves like an overgrown adolescent albeit a boring and condescending one. The guys who run this show like to pit posters against one another and then they sit back and decry the lack of civility on the board and ban posters for fighting.
Precisely. :p

I like Rafa, but I will never be a Rafatard. There are other ways to win the ACC.
Rafa fans are in general good people. I like their chat thread. Not as much as this one, but I like it ;)

We need more baby boys from the tennis players. It would be cool of one or two of them followed in their parent's footsteps.
Nothing wrong with the baby girls following in their parent's footsteps ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.