Mens Tennis Forums banner

Miami R2: Wawrinka def. Gimeno Traver 6-0, 3-6, 6-3

4K views 61 replies 32 participants last post by  sand_wawrinka 
#1 ·
he was great in sets 1 and 3 and awful in the 2nd set

#5 ·
I hope Magnus puts Stan back in his place, because his behavior in the second was really pathetic. :tape:

#11 · (Edited)
Probably thinking in the 1st Set that he should do his best and prove how good he is, then fade in the 2nd Set probably feeling "bored" seeing that there is no challenge, then wakes up in the 3rd realizing how much trouble he is in. I think he needs to control himself in these situations, to reserve energy when needed so he wouldn't be wasted mentally to be vulnerable. He should think that there is more to the tour than just winning a Slam because if that was just his drive (already reaching the top of the game) then he should re-evalute himself IMO. Oh well...I just hope this was enough (plus his IW loss) be alert consistently for the next match -- I think he is just not yet fully ready to be "big".

#7 ·
I wasn't able to see the whole match -- just around the 3rd Set 4-2. That said, I actually think that Stan had shown the capability to overwhelm opponents (a bagel, seriously?) but seems like a sugar rush -- excellent at the start but the crash is so big. He needs to balance his energy in his matches or he would be very vulnerable. I think someone should handle how he approach his matches mentally to keep steady and not have these crashes. He's frankly turning into the Li Na of tennis recently -- after winning a Slam, not sure where her "place" exactly is and is always vulnerable.

#24 ·
Stan is not the type of guy to do a Djokovic golden season, so he's gonna lose some inevitably.

Yet he's the type of player that can break loose at Slams and do damage, which is the part i like in him.

A win is a win and i don't expect him to do much here anyway. Can't wait for RG though...

#42 ·
Believe me or not currently Stan is best player in the world level wise. I don't think 1D base liner Dull can beat him in Miami.

#44 ·
Believe me or not currently Stan is best player in the world level wise. I don't think 1D base liner Dull can beat him in Miami.
Never knew One Direction has a professional tennis player on their group. ;)

#43 ·
OK reading post here I got something like this, Stan has done irreparable damage to fulls career for sure.

#46 ·
You certainly wish. Don't you have another Nadal bashing thread to open or will you post something constructive for once?

You can read my other comment after that one. If what you're saying here is truth then I don't even know why/what we are discussing.

We are discussing that you posted that Nadal decided to get injurd in a Slam final which is just :stupid:

#53 ·
Montanes and DGT conciliation match for the real hard court GOAT, lol. Good for DGT to take a set, Wawrinka is rusty.

#54 · (Edited)
I can't even say he was rusty, as he bagelled Gimeno-Traver in the 1st Set and also did what DGT did to him in 2nd Set in the 3rd (break once, then break again to win the set). He just needs control on where he allocates his clutch and energy, because it seems he mentally clutches in one set (not only clutch, but win sets in Federer-esqe quick manner) then "tanks" (in a sense that he can't handle doing so much in the previous set mentally) next set, then goes alert again in the 3rd. He has to keep his mental game to the state that made him YE #8 and just go all out come he faces the very top.

EDIT: Interesting trivia: the 1st was actually just 16 minutes -- shorter than the longest service game against Djokovic in the US Open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.