Not open for further replies.

USO Final: Murray beats Djokovic 7-6(10) 7-5 2-6 3-6 6-2

95K views 984 replies 340 participants last post by  zdravkelja 
#1 ·
Murray confirms his place as one of the greats of the modern game

Well done Andy.

What a summer for British sport.

#585 ·
Agreed, I believe it's because they are similar to each other in style of play.

Last night time and time again we saw two players not willing to pull the trigger and relying on each other's UEs.

Let us hope these two do not face each other again in a final, because it will as dreadful as it was last night.

#584 ·
Congrats to Murray. He obviously deserved it. And I'm glad classless Novak lost.
It's anyway killing me that Mugray has a slam and Richie not. Sick of this French idiot.

#587 ·
True. Murray already is one of the greatest of the modern game.
He will win - for sure - more Slams.

Congratulations to Murray and his fans.
What a well deserved title. He waited so long - and finally got one.

I'll start with congratulations Andy Murray.

That final was absolutely dire, though IMO.

Endless baseline rallies, with unimpressive depth and width throughout. Occasionally Murray's BH had good depth but that was pretty much it, as well as some clutch serving. Most times either went for a line, they missed but about a metre. Just rally after rally of ground strokes up the middle, bouncing around the service line until someone missed. Unable to generate any real pace, either of them. Unimpressed.

But congrats, Andy. :)
Yes and no. There were nearly five hours play and there were great rallies as well. The first three hours were clearly affected by the wind. And the way Djokovic was handling the wind was weird and disappointing. But you are right with the unimpressive depth and width. That was a factor which was obvious. And disappointing.

dire or classic the drama was still very high. The conditions were not ideal.
Again, like the women's final. The quality of play was not good.
But the drama and entertainment was very good.
At least there were bad conditions as an excuse.

congratulations andy! a well deserved and well overdue slam.
haters gonna hate...
although i am sad for novak, i am glad that murray stopped his run of slamless finals. would be too cruel and might even damage him for the future.
as for novak, tough luck. not that good in the first two sets and then ran out of gas in the dedider. as always, classy when congratulating his opponent. haters gonna hate, of course...
kinda worried about future grand slams, this one was really boring. so far these two produced two crap finals, one under decent conditions. once fed rides into sunset, if there is no rafa around, they have to speed up the courts. this was too slow.
Yes, it would have been a "trauma" when Murray lost this after 2-0 sets. It's very important for win to finally win a Slam.

Well, I'm by no means a Murray supporter, but he certainly deserved that one. Djokovic played awfully, whether it was because of the wind or not is irrelevant, Murray was in the same conditions.
Also, did not like that MTO much. Right before Andy served for the set... Reallly looks like Nole was hoping to make him feel the pressure to serve for his first Grand Slam and make him choke.

To those who will inevitably blame this on bad scheduling... When you see how badly Nole plays in the wind, there's every reason to think that he was saved by the scheduling against Ferrer. The way Nole played today in the first two sets shows that it was no incident, he just cannot cope with the wind.
So sure, he had to play yesterday because of the interruption. But he played only 3 sets, and Ferrer, who was obviously not in as great a shape as the day before, did not give him much of an opposition - as much as it pains me to admit it.

Really, I don't think there's much to be said about today's result, except that Nole needs to learn how to play when it's windy... And that he also played rather badly even when it was less windy.

So Andy gets his first Slam title, a lot of haters are going to have to find a new way to make fun of him.
In some rallies it looked like Djokovic do not want to play under this conditions. The timing was not there.
But the level of play was better without the wind in parts of 4th set.

:haha: Hilariously bad final, but Murray did what he needed to in the 5th. I'm glad he finally got his first slam. He's also responsible for my winning $10 in the office pool, so I will forever cherish this win.
It was very defensive, affected by the wind.
You can not take the statistics and then say it was bad because of more errors than winners.

But it was surely up-and-down and some off the rallies were brillant as well.

To say it was hilariously bad is wrong. But there were rallies where you wish for a clean winner. Anyway, those two were the best at this tournament and we will probably see those two again in Slam finals, playing against each other. With long rallies on and on.

I still don't think it's a trend with those new sort of finals.
I think that Nadal, Murray and Djokovic reached a new level of defensive abilities in tennis. But it is not like that you have to play like this to be able to win a Hardcourt Slam.
But it is a bit weird to see a 6 hours and a 5 hours final on hardcourt. The courts are a bit too slow, IMO it is not a huge problem but just a tiny bit too slow.
And the wind made the match longer and more incosistent as well.

This discussion was probably better to follow in the semis where you saw how endlessly difficult it was for Del Potro to hit clean winners.

#595 ·

Horrible and weird match, though.

#604 ·
I think I'm still in shock and that there may be points where I:

a.) cry
b.) giggle
c.) strike up conversation about Andy with random strangers

It's been such a long road leading to this and all the adversity makes it so much sweeter. That he came back from losing four slam finals is amazing, that he came back from losing the third and fourth sets is amazing, I can't quite seem to find the words to say just how happy I am at this win. I only got four hours sleep but I was literally jumping out of bed because I was so excited about reading about it in the news :).

What a year for British tennis - and, perhaps more importantly, what a year for tennis in general. Who'd have predicted we'd have four different slam winners?

Well excited for WTF and obviously AO (which I've already booked off work).

Andy - :worship:
Doubters - :nerner:
Me - :bounce: :bigclap: :haha: :dance: :yippee: :banana: :music:

#608 ·
Murray has played much better in other Slam tournaments, but this was just the perfect storm/stars aligning for him: no Federer or Nadal on the way (first time that happens to a Slam winner since Gaudio), chokes/implosions from Lopez and especially Cilic, facing Berdych and Djokovic in the heavy wind...

He almost screwed it up, but ended up getting his maiden Slam. Don't think this foresees any kind of dominance/tear though: it was not a result of Murray playing a whole different level of tennis to what he did before, but of very favorable circumstances unlikely to be repeated - for either Murray or any other player.

Congratulations to Murray and his fans though, he's finally joined the Slam club. I guess he was due one given how often he had been reaching the later rounds.

#618 ·
So 4 slams to go to each of the top 4, with the Gold going to the host nation. All seems very fitting. Here's to the indoor season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.