Reilly Opelka - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #16
country flag Dead Net Cord

Dead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reilly Opelka

Congrats

match point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a905ZVoxtro
Dead Net Cord is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #17
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

When you are that tall and have a serve like that, it is such an advantage.

Great win, though I was rooting for Mmoh

I met Opelka a few weeks ago at the USTA HQ. Good kid, though I fear he will be nothing more than an Isner/Querrey type. Hopefully he has more inside of him than that
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
When you are that tall and have a serve like that, it is such an advantage.

Great win, though I was rooting for Mmoh

I met Opelka a few weeks ago at the USTA HQ. Good kid, though I fear he will be nothing more than an Isner/Querrey type. Hopefully he has more inside of him than that
Most would be thrilled with an Isner/Querrey type career.

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #19
country flag trojanstallion

trojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
Most would be thrilled with an Isner/Querrey type career.
Haha, seriously! That's a bad thing? Getting to Top 10, winning 250's/500's, etc.....not a bad career
trojanstallion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:20 AM   #20
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eddie Herr | Big serve leads to first title for 6-foot-10 Reilly Opelka Read more he

http://www.bradenton.com/2014/12/08/...s-to.html?rh=1
Quote:
MANATEE -- On match point, Reilly Opelka did what came so easily for the 6-foot-10 player during Sunday's Eddie Herr International Junior Tennis Championships boys 18 final: He uncorked a scorching serve past opponent Michael Mmoh.

That ace, his 16th of the match, capped Opelka's first Herr singles championship in front of a large crowd at IMG Academy.

He defeated Mmoh, the tournament's No. 2 seed, in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, to become the first American to win the boys 18s division since 2009. Opelka and Mmoh played the first all-American final in the division's Herr history.

A big key for Opelka was his service, which was only broken twice all week, including once Saturday by Mmoh.

"It's my best shot," said the unseeded Opelka, who hit one serve so hard it lodged in the net. "Without that, I wouldn't want to be in a scrap with him from the baseline."

The 17-year-old Opelka, who trains at the USTA facility in Boca Raton and has played the Herr since he was 11, never dropped a set on his championship run.

But Opelka isn't just a one-trick pony with a massive serve.

In Sunday's final against the red-hot Mmoh, who has reached the final of every tournament in which he has competed since October, Opelka displayed soft hands at the net and nimble movement to track down drop shots in the front court.

"I move pretty well, better on clay than hard," said Opelka, who beat Mmoh for the second time this year. "I've just always been kind of athletic."

After earning the first set through a break and holding his service games, Opelka and Mmoh battled in the decisive second set.

In the opening game, Opelka and Mmoh played seven points at deuce, and Mmoh fought off six break points to win the game. Later, Opelka gained a break to make it 3-2.

At that point, Mmoh changed shirts, and the new one happened to be the same type and color scheme that Opelka had on from the outset. The two even sported the same shorts.

The move worked for Mmoh briefly as he gained the break right back.

But Opelka returned the favor and closed Mmoh out three games later.

Opelka's all-around game even had Mmoh quipping aloud, "This guy hasn't missed volleys since birth," following Opelka garnering match point at the net.

"He was definitely hitting his spots," Mmoh said. "He wasn't just serving and hoping for the best. He kind of was serving and knowing where I was going to hit the return, playing with a game plan with his serve and very tough. Even sometimes, I'd get the return in, but then he'd play a great point. So he was putting a lot of pressure on me, and he was really hitting his spots well."

The girls 18s division also was decided in straight sets. Hungary's Dalma Galfi earned a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Romania's Elena Ruse.

"I came here really tired after the two weeks in Mexico, so I didn't expect anything like this," Galfi said.

Ruse picked up a hamstring injury earlier in the week when she knocked off top-seeded Catherine "CiCi" Bellis and said she could feel pain during Sunday's warm-ups. During the second set, Ruse exited in mid-game when it was 2-2 to have a trainer stretch the back of her left hamstring.

"I can't play the backhand," Ruse said. "When I hit the backhand, (it hurt)."

In the 16s, top-seeded Sam Riffice earned a 7-6 (3), 6-1 win against fellow American Patrick Kypson to take the boys title. Second-seeded Sofia Sewing bested fellow American Dominque Schaefer, 6-2, 7-6 (5), for the girls title.

In the 14s, Colombia's Nicolas Mejia collected his first Herr title in five attempts when he dusted off American Brian Shi, 6-3, 6-3, in the boys division. On the girls side, top-seeded Anastasia Potapova, of Russia, claimed her second straight Herr championship by outlasting American Caty McNally, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3.

In the 12s, South Korea's Jungwon Park upset top-seeded Zane Khan, of America, 7-5, 6-2 for the boys title. Japan's Himari Sato, the No. 1 seed, dispatched Malta's Helene Pellicano, 6-0, 7-6 (5) for the girls title.

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2014/12/08/...#storylink=cpy

Quote:
From Eddie Herr champ on Sunday to Laundry King on Monday. Don't forget to clean the lint tray! #EddieHerr2014

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
Old 12-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #21
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanstallion View Post
Haha, seriously! That's a bad thing? Getting to Top 10, winning 250's/500's, etc.....not a bad career
If you compare John Isner to Andy Roddick

Or Compare Sam to James Blake

That Sam and John both ....

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #22
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Into the semis of the Orange Bowl, plays Kozlov.

Quote:
At 6-10, Reilly Opelka is usually mistaken for a basketball player, and through middle school, he was dabbling in basketball as well as his first love, tennis. But when it came time to choose, there was no question he was putting away the high tops and sticking to his rackets.

It seems like he made the right choice. Opelka, a 17-year-old from Palm Coast, advanced to the third round of the Orange Bowl International Tennis Championships on Wednesday, upsetting fourth-seeded Yunseong Chung of Korea 6-3, 6-4 in the Boys 18s division. The unseeded Opelka is coming off the biggest win of his career, a title at the Eddie Herr Championships last week.

A year ago, Opelka entered the Orange Bowl as a 660th-ranked wild card. Since then, he has grown six inches and skyrocketed to the top 50 in the world junior rankings. He trains at the U.S. Tennis Association High Performance Center in Boca Raton.

“I’m lucky I haven’t really had any of the growing pains or knee problems a lot of guys get when they grow fast,” Opelka said. “I’ve just had to adjust my game to my height each time I grow a few inches. It’s obviously a different game from a guy who’s 5-10.”

Opelka rarely plays anyone his size. One time he did was last summer at the U.S. Open, when he was asked to warm up 6-9 John Isner for his match. “He’s definitely the tallest guy I’ve ever hit against,” Opelka said. “It was a good experience for me.”

Opelka’s father is 6-6, and his mother is 6-0, so there was little doubt he would be tall. He just never figured he would be this tall.

“I get asked six or seven times a day if I’m a basketball player,” he said. “And I do love shooting hoops with my friends. But I like individual sports better, so I stuck to tennis.”

He learned to play from former tour star Tom Gullickson, who met Opelka’s father on a Palm Coast golf course. “Gully offered to hit with me, and he really is the one who taught me the game, so I’m very lucky,” he said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/te...#storylink=cpy
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/te...le4415689.html

Old 12-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #23
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lost in 3, good luck to Reilly next year.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ravanl...7649332268759/