Mens Tennis Forums banner

MTF Posters Favourite Football Teams

21K views 250 replies 130 participants last post by  canbera 
#1 ·
Yes, there is a thread on GM for the what are the players favourite football teams.

This thread is for the MTF posters and which team or teams are their favourite ones. Well coming from a small country like myself and not having a great league, there is the team you support at home and then follow a major league and there are people like that around.

Yes, it's the global football played with the feet, not Aussie Rules, rugby, gridiron or other impostors that call their game football.

It doesn't matter where they are from, whether they win or lose. If possible state your earliest memory of following this team, whether good, bad or clownish.

Reactions: rosespower
#3 ·
Re: MTF Posters Favourite Football Teams (soccer to the uneducated)

Newell's Old Boys, Rosario, Argentina
Dad used to took me to the stadiums, when I lived in Buenos Aires, in the early 70s...

Reactions: Julio1974
#4 ·

Club Social y Deportivo Colo Colo de Chile

My earliest memory : I remember players like Carlos Caszely - Roberto Rojas - Lizardo Garrido - Raul Ormeño - Jaime Pizarro (later) in my team and watching them on TV in moments when the local football was showed on Televisión Nacional (Torneo Nacional and Copa Chile ) . I became in a fan cos the way like the team play is what I'm looking for in Football : a mixture between Spartan football and offensive football wherever we play

My best memory : Copa Libertadores 1991 . The sensation of being the best team in a whole continent is amazing ---> too good

#34 ·

Club Social y Deportivo Colo Colo de Chile

My earliest memory : I remember players like Carlos Caszely - Roberto Rojas - Lizardo Garrido - Raul Ormeño - Jaime Pizarro (later) in my team and watching them on TV in moments when the local football was showed on Televisión Nacional (Torneo Nacional and Copa Chile ) . I became in a fan cos the way like the team play is what I'm looking for in Football : a mixture between Spartan football and offensive football wherever we play

My best memory : Copa Libertadores 1991 . The sensation of being the best team in a whole continent is amazing ---> too good
:worship::worship::worship:

Club Social y Deportivo Colo Colo:worship::worship:

Chilean Liga: 27
Copa Libertadores:1991

I didn`t watch Copa Libertadores because I was 1 year old, my first remenbers are from 1996 nice team..... also semifinals in Libertadores Cup 97(lose in penalty kicks to former champions Cruzeiro).

Great Players I have seen in Colo Colo:
-Marcelo Espina
-Marcelo ''RAMBO'' Ramirez
-Marcelo Barticcioto
-Sebastian Gonzalez
-ARTURO VIDAL:worship::worship:
-Matias Fernandez(he is now playing crappy football in Villareal:eek:)
-Alexis Sanchez:rocker:
-Ivo Basay
-Lukas Tudor(good player, not great thought)
-Humberto Suazo
-Ivan Zamorano
-Claudio Arbiza
-El lonco Francisco anderson Huaiquipan:p
-Gonzalo Fierro
-Nicolas Cordoba
-Javier Margas
-Miguel Ramirez
-Fernando Vergara
-Miguelito Riffo:worship:

Colo Colo always play attack style. But with Spartan heart, were not like Universidad Catolica(Chokers,$$$$,wealthy club like PSV that not wins nothing) and Universidad de Chile who is an awful team

Colo Colo winning Libertadores:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2rx2jIw14M

Arturo Vidal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1lZRj106kg

Matias Fernandez(good times:rolleyes:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tirVQPCmhkI
COLO-COLO ETERNO CAMPEON

EL ORGULLO NACIONAL

:worship::worship::worship:

#5 ·

Thanks for that Bad Religion, this is the sort of thing I am looking forward to reading.

Roberto Rojas wasn't a bad goalkeeper, but his poor acting skills cost Chilean football some years in the wilderness.

#6 ·

okay, then, this is my all-time NOB:
GK: Norberto Scoponi
D: Fabian Basualdo, Fernando Gamboa, Mauricio Pochettino, Roberto Sensini.
M: Gerardo Martino, Américo Gallego, Mario Zanabria
S: Abel Balbo, Roque Alfaro, Sergio Almirón (père)

#23 ·

okay, then, this is my all-time NOB:
GK: Norberto Scoponi
D: Fabian Basualdo, Fernando Gamboa, Mauricio Pochettino, Roberto Sensini.
M: Gerardo Martino, Américo Gallego, Mario Zanabria
S: Abel Balbo, Roque Alfaro, Sergio Almirón (père)
Those are the only ones I know of those you posted. :eek:

I didn`t watch Copa Libertadores because I was 1 year old, my first remenbers are from 1996 nice team..... also semifinals in Libertadores Cup 97(lose in penalty kicks to former champions Cruzeiro).

-Marcelo Espina
-Marcelo Barticcioto
-Sebastian Gonzalez
-Ivo Basay
-Humberto Suazo
-Ivan Zamorano
-Claudio Arbiza
-Gonzalo Fierro
-Nicolas Cordoba
-Javier Margas
-Miguel Ramirez
-Fernando Vergara

Colo Colo always play attack style. But with Spartan heart, were not like Universidad Catolica(Chokers,$$$$,wealthy club like PSV that not wins nothing) and Universidad de Chile who is an awful team
Arturo is now playing very well in Germany, and Ivan was simply great in Italy.

My team is Eintracht Frankfurt since 1990. Hmmm, what was my first remembrance with them? :scratch: In fact I don't really know, because I have already been a football fan before. But I remember I was in Summer 91 at a friendly match at a (then time) 3rd league team, where I could get real contact to the team. After that I got a mad "practice watcher", means I went regularily to watch the practice. And though I don't go to the practice anymore, I'm still a fan of the team. :)

#7 ·

Santi, so when was the last time you went to a match?

You are in Mar del Plata? What's the most popular team there?

#9 ·

Santi, so when was the last time you went to a match?

You are in Mar del Plata? What's the most popular team there?
Newell's match? hm, 1992, I reckon, Copa Libertadores Final, we defeated Sao Paulo 1-0 (Berizzo -pk-)

there sre two popular teams here: Aldosivi, which plays in the 2nd division (Nacional B) and Alvarado, which does it in the third division, if my memory doesn't fail me

#8 · (Edited)

-Marcelo Espina
-Marcelo Barticcioto
-Sebastian Gonzalez
-Ivo Basay
-Humberto Suazo
-Ivan Zamorano
-Claudio Arbiza
-Gonzalo Fierro
-Nicolas Cordoba
-Javier Margas
-Miguel Ramirez
-Fernando Vergara
-Jorge ''Mago'' Valdivia :worship:

Arturo Vidal:

#20 ·

-Marcelo Espina
-Marcelo Barticcioto
-Sebastian Gonzalez
-Ivo Basay
-Humberto Suazo
-Ivan Zamorano
-Claudio Arbiza
-Gonzalo Fierro
-Nicolas Cordoba
-Javier Margas
-Miguel Ramirez
-Fernando Vergara

Arturo Vidal:

Idem

:rocker: :worship:

#10 · (Edited)

Ah the greatest sport on earth :yeah:... football that the ignorants call soccer (including in this country :rolleyes: )

England: Sunderland AFC

Bit of a stupid start to my support of them. My dad has always been a Tottenham fan so he had a lot of English football books around the house. One day I decided to have a look through some of them. One of them had all the tables for each season so for some reason the name Sunderland caught my eye and I started following their progress up and down the divisions throughout the book and afterwards I decided to become a Sunderland fan. That was in 1992... later that year I was delighted that they were able to make the FA Cup final from the 2nd highest division (whatever it was called back then).

Australian A-League: Melbourne Victory

The A-League has only been running for 3 seasons but it's had a huge impact on football in our country :yeah: I started taking an interest in the first season but at the start of the 2nd season I got a membership and started attending all the home matches and I've been a passionate supporter ever since... and they rewarded me with a premiership in my first season as a member :)

#12 ·

AC Milan till death

i was a fan since 1988-89 but the first match i remember watching was the CHL final against Benfica.
Best moment: the CHL final 1994 destroying Barcelona 4-0 and also the 2003 CHL final. The later was a poor level of play but beating Juve is always sweet

also a fan of FC Tirana in the domestic league

#13 ·

^^^ fanboy :D

CF Valencia for me. Since the times of Mendieta, Claudio Lopez, Kily Gonzalez, Canizares until now. I'm very sad they're having a bad season.

It all started with a match against Manchester United, and as I hate Man Utd., I decided to watch the match and cheer Valencia. Valencia lost, but I really loved them. So since then :couple:.

#15 ·

I live across the road from the guy who owns Melbourne Victory. There's footballs signed by the whole team lying around his (massive) front yard that his dogs chew up. :lol:

#16 ·

- Blackburn Rovers are my favourite football team. When I emmigrated to England from Canada as a kid, they were geographically the closest team to where I settled. I quickly became a passionate fan for life, and I have attended plenty of their matches over the years. Sure when I started supporting them, they were one of the best teams in English football, but I continued to back them pretty fanatically and go to their matches even after they were relegated from the Premiership in 1999. Blackburn is a very small and unfashionable place, and the football team represents the real focal point of the town.
- Being a Vancouvian I also root for the Vancouver Whitecaps. They are currently playing in the USL first division, with is one notch below the MLS in the North America football pyramid. One of our best moments was hammering Sunderland (an English Premiership team at the time) 3-0 in a friendly in 2005.
- I have strong Northern Ireland and in particular East Belfast connections, so naturally I love Glentoran. The Glens, like other teams in Northern Ireland, are semi-professional, but there are advantages to that, as their players are truly in it for the love of the game. I've been to the Oval to watch them in action a couple of times, and I've enjoyed it. Their local rivalry with Linfield (I've been lucky enough to see a derby between the teams live), is fierce but thankfully it doesn't have anything to do with religion.
- Ever since I've started following football, I've enjoyed watching La Liga, which in my opinion is currently the best league in the world. Valencia have been easily my favourite Spanish team since the mid-nineties.

#17 · (Edited)

What are the odds that Glentoran would be followed by Glenavon in this thread? About the same as either team winning the Champion's League, I think.
My memory is being taken to games on Sat. afternoon by my older sister's boyfriend. It was usually cold, wet, windy and miserable, but these sufferings were compensated for by being introduced to beer and ciggies at too young an age.
We hated Linfield too. But I do not know why you said the rivalry was not religious. Linfield was 100% Prod and the Glens 100% Micks. It was worse than Celtic-Rangers. Hopefully things have changed.
If I remember right the great Glenavon star was Jimmy Jones, but I may be thinking of that great 50's single ''Handyman.'' Definitely not the same Jimmy Jones.

#18 ·

São Paulo FC, by heritage. I also happen to live near the club and my parents are members.

My earliest vivid (and painful) memory is the 1990 Brazilian Championship when we reached the final and lost to our rivals Corinthians 1-0. :(

My best memory is a tough call between winning the Toyota Cup for the first time against Barcelona (coming back from 0-1 to win 2-1), and the Libertadores title in 2005 when we thrashed Atletico Paranaense in the final 4-0 and I happened to be at the match.

#51 ·

São Paulo FC, by heritage. I also happen to live near the club and my parents are members.

My earliest vivid (and painful) memory is the 1990 Brazilian Championship when we reached the final and lost to our rivals Corinthians 1-0. :(

My best memory is a tough call between winning the Toyota Cup for the first time against Barcelona (coming back from 0-1 to win 2-1), and the Libertadores title in 2005 when we thrashed Atletico Paranaense in the final 4-0 and I happened to be at the match.
So you had it in the family, there wasn't too much choice, hehe.

Yes, I remember the Toyota Cup when they beat Milan. Rai scored with the chest and then Muller scored with his arse.

#19 ·

Buddy, I know you weren't around when Belfast Celtic were still going.

Reactions: merryploughbhoy
#22 · (Edited)

Buddy, I know you weren't around when Belfast Celtic were still going.
Yes I was around - well, at least crawling around.
Belfast Celtic abandoned the league on Boxing Day, 1948. During a match with hated Prod rivals Linfield the Linfield fans invaded the pitch and beat up the Celtic players, including a broken leg. Since the glorious Royal Ulster Constabulary was not too efficient at defending Celtic, they decided to quit.

#21 ·

Belfast Celtic? I will check them out.
I just googled Jimmy Jones. He scored 74 goals in the 1956-57 season. A record that still stands. That was probably the reason I got my first beer and ***. I was 13.

#24 ·

While I was probably wrong to say the Glens-Linfield has nothing to do with religion, I still don't think has been such an issue recently. They are both protestant clubs. Over the years and decades the Glens have been far more willing to allow Catholic players onto their team than Linfield. Blues fans have taunted their Glens counterparts about being 'catholic lovers' in the past because of this, but thankfully that has gradually become less of a problem, and recently Linfield have signed more and more Catholic players.
Glens fans taunt Blues fans about being Glasgow Rangers wannabes, but in truth most Glens fans also support Rangers as well.
There has been a lot of hooliganism at Glens-Blues matches in the past, but I honestly think that the hatred of each others' clubs is not based on religion. They are 2 biggest clubs in Northern Ireland, and have continually battled it out for major honours seemingly season after season and the outcomes of their matches often have a major bearing on where the title will be heading, it's no surprise that they don't like each other.
Now Linfield-Belfast Celtic, Linfield-Cliftonville and Linfield-Donegal Celtic fixtures have been marred by Sectarian and religious induced problems in the past, but not Linfield-Glentoran in my opinon.
The Glens beating Linfield on Boxing Day last December (the first time they had won a boxing day derby day fixture for 18 years) was great.

#26 · (Edited)

While I was probably wrong to say the Glens-Linfield has nothing to do with religion, I still don't think has been such an issue recently. They are both protestant clubs.
No, you were right, the Glens were Prods too. Now I am confused as to why the great rivalry. I always assumed that in Nor Iron, rivalries were always religion-inspired. Only thing different I can think of now is that they are on different banks of the Lagan.

#29 ·

Manchester United Forever. Fan since late 80's.

#31 · (Edited)

San Lorenzo de Almagro. My earliest memory is when we p´layed for the first and only time in the second division. My dad would take me to the stadium every Saturday. The support of the fans was massive. We collapsed the Boca, River and Velez' stadiums. I will never forget that.

Then, I had to wait until I was 20 yrs old to see San Lorenzo winning the league. I was in Rosario that cold June night. We were 1 point behind Gimnasia but they lost against Independiente and we beat Central. I cannot remember what I did between 9 pm and 6 am. I woke up in a hotel but not sure how I got there. Thanks God I was with some friends! The best player of that team was a Brazilian: Silas. The best player I've ever seen in San Lorenzo. Ruggeri also was an important leader. One of our big supporters was the US Ambassador at that time (CHeek) who appeared in every tv channel celebrating with the players.

We won the league again in 2001, thanks to Pellegrini (the current coach of Villareal, also famous for sending Tristelme back to Boca). The best thing of that league was that the coach of River (el trolo Gallego) said that River would win the league because San Lorenzo always chokes. However, it was River and the clown of Gallego who choked agaist Huracan and we won the league in the last match. Romeo, Romagnoli, Abreu, Coloccini, Ervitti were the best players of that team.

One year later, we won our first international cup: the Copa Mercosur. We beat Corinthians in the SF and Flamengo in the Final. The last match with Flamengo was scheduled on December 20, 2001 (the day that the Argentine crisis exploded) and the match had to be suspended because of the riots in Buenos Aires. I was already going to the stadiun, doing my best to escape from the areas where the riots were taking places, and had to go back home.

At the end of that year we won our second international Cup (Copa Sudamericana). We crushed Nacional de Medellin in the final (4-0 in Colombia). Romagnoli scored the goal of his life in that match.

And fianlly, we won again the league last year, thanks to Ramon Angel Diaz. Everyone was expecting us to crumble but we did not. Lavezzi (now in Napoli), Ledesma (now in Greece) la Gata Fernandez (now in Mexico) and Mendez were the key players of that team.

Now, we are waiting for a miracle: la Copa Libertadores!!

PS: Outside Argentina, I like Nacional de Montevideo y San Pablo (for beating Newells in the Libertadores final), Celtic, Porto, Napoli, Deportivo La Coruña, Olympique Lyon. And I hate Peñarol. Barcelona, Milan, Juventus, Totenham.

Reactions: psichogaucho
#32 ·

Celtic. Celtic/Rangers is part of the west of Scotland culture and you can't avoid it even if you want to. My first game was when I was 2 at the start of the 1986/87 season against Dundee.
Since then I've been to Parkhead and many away venues hundreds of times and seen some of the best players in the world pass through Parkhead.....McStay, Collins, Moravcik, Larsson as well as the likes of Laudrup, Gascoigne, Maldini, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Thuram, etc, etc

#36 ·
#39 ·
Belgium : RSC Anderlecht ( season card holder since the 2001-2002 season ) and KV Kortrijk.

England : Chelsea FC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.