Mens Tennis Forums banner

MTF Posters Favourite Football Teams

21K views 250 replies 130 participants last post by  canbera 
#1 ·
Yes, there is a thread on GM for the what are the players favourite football teams.

This thread is for the MTF posters and which team or teams are their favourite ones. Well coming from a small country like myself and not having a great league, there is the team you support at home and then follow a major league and there are people like that around.

Yes, it's the global football played with the feet, not Aussie Rules, rugby, gridiron or other impostors that call their game football.

It doesn't matter where they are from, whether they win or lose. If possible state your earliest memory of following this team, whether good, bad or clownish.

Reactions: rosespower
#42 ·
Paisley St Mirren FC, the buddies

as long as i remember

87 Scottish Cup winners and the club that gave Sir Alex Ferguson has first big break into management in the late 70's, too bad he fell out with a secretary over trying to help players get tax free expenses and increased wages and ended up being sacked and taking the club to court

who knows what might have been had he stayed ...

fave player of all time was Billy 'boy taggert' Davies and currently Mark 'Coco' Corcoran

we are moving ground for the start of next season... to Feg land, geez

the end of Love Street ... and the memories.

#43 ·
Tranmere Rovers, England

Hometown club, in the third division of English football. A few friends chose to follow the nearest glory club (Liverpool) and be a sky tv fan, or follow Everton, Liverpool's smaller arch rival. Unlike most other leagues, the support and passion in the lower leagues is massive, and results in several large away support in many games.

I own a season ticket and go to about half of the away matches.

I spend about ÂŁ500 a season on watching them!

As for preferred teams elsewhere:

Italy: Napoli
Japan: Urawa Reds
Argentina: Independiente
Brazil: Gremio
National teams: the British sides, Italy, Venezuela

#44 ·
Tranmere Rovers, England

Hometown club, in the third division of English football. A few friends chose to follow the nearest glory club (Liverpool) and be a sky tv fan, or follow Everton, Liverpool's smaller arch rival. Unlike most other leagues, the support and passion in the lower leagues is massive, and results in several large away support in many games.

I own a season ticket and go to about half of the away matches.

I spend about ÂŁ500 a season on watching them!

As for preferred teams elsewhere:

Italy: Napoli
Japan: Urawa Reds
Argentina: Independiente
Brazil: Gremio
National teams: the British sides, Italy, Venezuela
Never in doubt, such an acquired taste. :worship:

#45 ·
Growing up as a kid, I lived in Glasgow where everyone supports Rangers or Celtic. My dad was the club doctor at Partick Thistle, so I naturally became a fan. Had a season ticket and went to almost every match home and away from the age of 4 to 12 (when I moved to London). Still go to matches when I go back up to Glasgow, but it's hard to follow us too passionately because we're in the Scottish division 1 now :sad:

When I moved to London, I didn't really support a team. I had watched loads of English footy, but didn't support a team as such. I lived fairly close to Spurs, and Ossie Ardiles was manager at the time and the matches were bloody entertaining. A lot of friends I made were Spurs fans, so I went along to some matches with them and that's how I became a fan. Got a season ticket for a few years, but then I had to give it up when I went to university, and aren't able to get it back now. Still make it to as many games as I can, usually 10-15 a season.

In foreign leagues, I don't passionately support anyone. I love watching Barca play though, Messi is a genius and tend to watch a lot of Spanish football. In Italy, my favourite team is probably AC because I like Kaka but I wouldn't say I care overwhelmingly much. They better beat Arsenal this week though :p

#49 ·
Real Madrid :hearts:

started loving them back in 2000 (when I started watching club football) when I saw the final with Valencia. The most painful memory was in 2001 when they lost in the UCL semis to Bayern and the best was the final they won it in 2002. I cried after Zidane's goal :hearts: :eek: :eek: Iker was and still is my Real hero :bowdown: Worst memory? After they gave up Del Bosque. It's getting better now though.
My dream team of the post 2000 era would be:
Casillas - Salgado, Ramos, Hierro, Roberto Carlos - Figo, Redondo, Zidane, Solari - Raul 2000-2003 and 2007+ , Morientes

#63 ·
It smells very hard to glory hunting in there...

#56 ·
I will post my club ones a bit later, but I posted this on another thread. So for those who have read it, tough luck.

I remember the 98 World Cup I was in a Brazilian bar and there were about 10 Frenchies there, before the final the drink was flowing and full party spirit. After the game all these Brazilians were sitting in the corner crying and it was like a wake.

Euro 92 was great. I was in Sweden for the champs, but didn't have a ticket for the final. I saw both semis.

I went to this city in the north and Bob Dylan was playing that day and they closed off the main streets, as the festival was going in pretty much in the centre of town outdoors, which meant that it took 25 mins instead of 5 to go to the pub. Of course I choose the football over that clown Dylan.

There was a German guy and his teenage son, they asked me where they could watch the game. I said come to this pub and it will be on there, just expect everyone to cheer for Denmark. The father said "yes, it's ok we are Germans, nobody cheers for us". They had a good time there.

When the Danes won the match, all the Swedes were partying like they won the champs.

This is what the essence is about for me. I mean you get the odd hooligan scum, but I have met a lot of good people through this sport and going to events, and even at the pubs watching the matches. The highs, lows, farces, all part of the experience.

The strangest one was 4 Scots, 1 Irish, myself, 2 black guys one Swedish and the other Austrian start singing "Deutschland Uber Alles", no not the bad version after Germany beat England on penalties in Euro 96.

#58 ·
It was Adam wearing his crocs.

#66 ·
Sorry in advance for an incredibly boring post, but here are some of my favourite footballing moments in chronological order:
- Blackburn winning the league title for the first time in 81 years in 1995, holding off Man Utd in a thrilling title race. I was glued to radio that sunny Sunday afternoon. Nowadays it is impossible to imagine a small club like us from an unfashionable town finishing as the cream of the crop in England. Shearer scored 34 league goals that season. Our goalkeeper at the time Tim Flowers made an absolutely crucial and stunning save in the dying seconds of our penultimate match at home to Newcastle. We won 1-0, and if it wasn't for his heroics, things might have panned out rather differently.
- Valencia's surprise run to the Champions League final in 1999/2000, and especially their crushing 5-2 and 4-1 victories over Lazio and Barca respectively at the Mestalla.
- Canada winning the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2000. I know that some people in Europe and South America look down on the Gold Cup, but it was still a fantastic achievement for us to win a major trophy. We beat Mexico (who have reached the last 16 at each of the last 4 World Cups) in our QF, and Colombia (who were crowned Copa America champions a year later) in the final, on our road to glory.
- Blackburn getting promoted from what was then called the English First Division to the Premiership in 2001. The 3 matches that stick out are when we outclassed our promotion rivals Bolton 4-1 at the Reebok Stadium, crushed our arch-rivals Burnley 5-0 at Ewood Park, and beat our friendly rivals Preston 1-0 at Deepdale to mathematically secure that promotion, and I attended all 3 of those matches.
- The Glens wrecking Linfield's hopes of sealing the treble in 2000/2001, by beating them in both cup finals.
- Blackburn winning the League Cup in 2002. We hammered Arsenal (albeit their second string side) 4-0 in our QF, and beat Spurs 2-1 in the final, and I saw both of those matches live. The day out at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff was an unforgettable experience. The Andy Cole-Matt Jansen strike partnership was lethal during their half a season up front together. A small club like us winning a major trophy is a huge deal.
- Valencia being crowned Spanish champions for the first time in 31 years in 2002. It was quite funny that they won the La Liga title despite only scoring 51 goals that season :lol:. They spoilt Zizou's welcoming party on the opening day of the season. Depor embarassing Real Mierda at the Bernabau in the Copa del Rey final and spoiling their centenary year was also brilliant.
- Blackburn's top 6 league finish in 2002/2003. We played some very free flowing and entertaining football that season, with Damien Duff, Tugay and Dunn in full flow. We beat and outplayed the best 2 teams in the country at the time Manure and Arsenal at home, and rode our luck to also beat L'Arse at Highbury the Library.
- The Glens winning the league title and League Cup in 2002/2003, and we were only one match away from winning what, for us, would have been an unprecedented treble, losing 1-0 to Coleraine in the Cup final.
- Los Ches winning the La Liga title for the 2nd time in 3 seasons in 2004. That triumph was more satisfying than their 2002 one, as they played far more attractive football in 2004. They outclassed Real Mierda 2-0 at the Mestalla and beat Barca 1-0 at the Camp Nou that season. To add further gloss to proceedings, Valencia also won the UEFA Cup, while Real Mierda who in March were top of La Liga, leading Monaco 4-2 heading into the 2nd leg of their Champions League quarter-final, and were looking forward to the Copa del Rey final, won nothing that season.
- The Glens clinching their 2nd league-league cup double in 3 years in 2004/2005. In our penultimate match of the season, we had to beat Linfield at the Oval otherwise our title aspirations would have gone up in smoke. The ex-Linfield striker Chris Morgan scored a 93rd minute winner for us as we clinched a crucial 3-2 victory. Unfortunately though, drunken hooligans froms both sets of supporters clashed and through missiles at each other afterwards
- The Whitecaps brushing aside Sunderland 3-0 in a friendly and embarassing an English Premiership club. Sure Sunderland were dreadful in the season that followed, but we did what Manure couldn't do, beat them at home.
- Northern Ireland beating England 1-0 at Windsor Park in their 2006 World Cup qualifying match. Take a bow David Healy :bow:. The Green and White Army were easily the better team throughout the match as well. I was in Belfast at the time. What a hugely enjoyable night that was.
- Blackburn clinching the double over Manure for the first time in 75 years in 2005/2006, beating them 2-1 at OT, and 4-3 at Ewood, and both times we outplayed them and deserved to win. We also beat Arsenal and runaway league champions Chelsea at home that season, and finished the top 6 to qualify for the UEFA Cup.
- Winning shit loads of money courtesy of some inspired and random bets throughout the 2006 World Cup.
- The Whitecaps winning the USL First Division play-offs in 2006.
- Memories of the opening match of the 1982 World Cup and Gerry Armstrong coming flooding back, as David Healy scored a sensational hat-trick as the Green and White army downed Spain 3-2 at Windsor Park in their Euro 2008 qualifier at Windsor Park. Again, I thought that N.I were the better team and deserved their victory.
- Any matches that Manure, Real Mierda or Linfield have lost, or any seasons which those clubs have ended trophyless.

#71 ·
- Memories of the opening match of the 1982 World Cup and Gerry Armstrong coming flooding back, as David Healy scored a sensational hat-trick as the Green and White army downed Spain 3-2 at Windsor Park in their Euro 2008 qualifier at Windsor Park. Again, I thought that N.I were the better team and deserved their victory.
It wasn't the opening match. It was the final group match and a must win for NI. I watched it in a hotel ballroom in Santo Domingo (the same hotel that featured in Godfather III as a Havana hotel) and was later interviewed on Dominican TV as the only Nor'ironer available in a crowd of Spaniards. The next day I got on a plane for Belfast. In the second group stage we drew with Austria, but France then eliminated us.

A great achievement, but not as great as the double win over the Czechs in Sweden in '58. In the group stage the Czechs lost to NI 1-0, then beat Argentina 6-1, forcing a play-off match for second place in the group. NI beat them again, this time 2-1 after extra time. To qualify out of a group of Argentina-West Germany-Czechoslovakia-Northern Ireland was pretty good.

#69 ·
I was also delighted when Rome won Lo Scudetto in 2001. They had continually underachieved for many seasons prior to that, but they finally got their act together that season, and were league leaders right from the start. Totti, Batigol, Montella, Cafu, Emerson, Samuel and Aldair were all excellent.
Despite being a Valencia fan, I found Rivaldo's stunning hat-trick for Barca against Los Ches, during what was basically a Champions League play-off on the final day of the season in 2001, memorable:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KVnPaYa8rlE
The guy was an absolute genius in his prime and he could magical things with his left foot.

Canada celebrating their 2000 Gold Cup success:

#74 ·
My condolences to Julio and Hendu (who hasn't yet posted in this thread but I'm sure he will at some point). They are simply products of what they were born into and none of us choose what we are born into, so forgive them for their sins.

Pictures say a 1000 words apparently, so here are eight thousand words.

#77 ·
Swansea City for me :rocker2: - they play in the 3rd division of the English League. They were the nearest football team to where I grew up - even though I still lived 75 miles away. I tend to go to about 10-15 games a season, mainly away games as they're closer to where I live now. Also the atmosphere tends to be a lot better at away games as you get a lot of the "hardcore" fans there.
This season has been the best that I've ever seen us play - we're currently 8 points clear at the top of the table with 2/3 of the season gone and have been playing some of the best, most attacking style of football that I've ever seen from them :yeah: If, as looks likely, we'll be in the 2nd division for the first time in about 24 years :)

#78 · (Edited)
Sport Club Corinthians Paulista :)

Strangely the fact I cheer (love) for Corinthians, as I was born in Santos and the city team is one of the biggest in the country (Pele's career team). It happened probably because my cousins born in Sao Paulo support Corinthians and I ended by doing it too.

And I must say I am very thankful to them, because no other team would fit so well for me. Corinthians has the 2nd biggest cheering crowd of the country (1st is Flamengo in Rio de Janeiro). Anyway, even the other teams insisting on recognizing it, Corinthians has a special mystical thing. You can ask for every Brazilian and they will confirm: or you love, or you hate Corinthians. Why? I don't know, but this proves we have something unexplicable that only we do have. The team always win or lose matches/titles in a more suffered way, and we supporters have a big proud of it.

The first big moment for me was when we won 1997 State Championships (they are important here in Brazil), I was 7 years old. Later, in the Brazilian Champs we almost went down to 2nd division, but fortunatelly it didn't happened. In 1998 a Golden Era started for Corinthians, who managed to win 1998/1999 Brazilian Championships, 1999 State Championships and finalizing with 2000 Fifa World Championship. Anyway, we had two (VERY) suffered losses to our biggest rival Palmeiras in quarter-finals (1999) and semi-finals (2000) of Copa Libertadores (our UEFA Champions League). Those were the 2 moments that I cried the most because of football. In 2000 I didn't even slept by crying so much. Until today we never won this tournament and all the other team supporters make fun of we because of that. But I don't care anymore, our team history is much bigger than that and we will do it one day.

In 2001 we won the State Championships again. 2002 was a great year, when we won Copa do Brasil (National Cup), Torneio Rio-Sao Paulo and we were sadly runner ups in the Brazilian (lost to Robinho's/Diego's Santos). 2003 we defeated Sao Paulo to win the State Ch'ships again. 2004 was a poor year, and in 2005 we had a great title, but thing started to ruin. The team made a partnership with MSI and signed with Carlitos Tevez :)worship:) and other good players. We won the Brazilian Championships (I went to the game of the title) but in 2006 irregularities about MSI started to appear. We had a terrible year, and in 2007 it was the worst moment of the history: we ended by falling to 2nd division for the first time in 97 years of history. Anyway, we supporters showed everyone that this isn't enough to make us give up.

Saying for me, I have an even bigger connection with Corinthians beacuse I represented the team for 2 years on swimming. I also slept in Vicente Matheus's aunt house so we wouldn't have to pay for a hotel (Vicente Matheus was the biggest president of the club and his aunt is one of the swimming coaches). Once I did a great swimming event where I did my personal best and I shouted "VAI CORINTHIAAAAAAAAAANS" right when I finished the event. That was maybe my biggest moment for my loved Corinthians.

A good memorie for me is 2005 title, without a doubt. I followed all the matches (at the stadium, where I can't go so much because it's not on my city, TV or radio). All times that I had to go out in the same time of the matches I brought the mini radio to listen to the matches :lol:

This is my history about my loved football club :wavey:

G
#80 ·
I try to support the local football league here in Australia as it is still growing being only 2 years old.

Worldwide I'd probably say it's Liverpool only because I met Robbie Fowler in a pub in London a long time ago.

#84 ·
By username is a huge clue... I'm an Arsenal fan.
It's the nearest club to me and I've been following them since I was a kid. My mum took me to Highbury when I was 8 years old and I've been hooked ever since. Still really miss the old stadium. Where I live you get a fair share of Spuds fans and some glory hunting Man U fans, but most people support the Arsenal.

#86 ·
Liverpool,Arsenal (but i really miss the old team and Highbury),Atletico Madrid and Olympique Lyonnais (the place where i'm born)

#87 ·
Inter,fiorentina,sampdoria,cagliari,real M.

#89 ·
M I L A N :bigclap:

For a long time AC Milan "Il Club Piu titulato al Mondo" :angel: because of Paolo Maldini *I love you, a guy like that :yeah:* and then Kaka *sensational Brazil midfielder*, Inzaghi, Nesta, Jankulovski of Czech Rep. ...

+ of course wishing the return of Shevchenko. I love them all :hug:

Forza AC Milan :yeah:

a scan of Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite ... aka... Kaká

• 2007 Kaka named Europe's top player :worship:

Kaka of AC Milan has been named European player of the year for 2007, beating Cristiano Ronaldo of Manchester United into second place.

• 2007 Kaka named world's best player :worship:

AC Milan's Brazilian superstar Kaka was crowned Fifa's world player of the year, beating off competition from Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

#91 ·
Crvena Zvezda
Arsenal

Liverpool
Manchester Utd.
Charlton

Roma
Lyon
Rio Aves
Benfica
PSV
Charlton

#93 · (Edited)
The first idol: Bernabe Ferreyra (The Mortar of Rufino): 187 goals in 185 games for river, in the 30's.

The best Argentine team ever: La Maquina (the machine), in the 40's. With Pedernera, Muñoz, Labruna, Moreno and Loustau in the attack. Among the best argentine players ever.

Angel Labruna, the greatest scorer of Argentine football along with the Paraguayan Erico.

La saeta rubia (the blonde arrow), one of the best players ever to play the game: Alfredo Di Stefano. He also played for Real Madrid, I'm not sure if he did well though... :p

One of the best Goalkeepers ever: Amadeo Carrizo.

Enrique Omar Sivori, one of the best argentine forwards, played for River in the 50's. With the money of the sell to Juventus of Italy, River finished its new stadium. I think he did well in Italy... :p

El Mariscal (The marshal) Roberto Perfumo. The best Argentine defender ever, along with the next player...

El Gran Capitan (the great captain) Daniel Passarella

As Carrizo, one of the best goalkeepers: El pato (the duck) Ubaldo Matildo Fillol.

The star of the 80's. Nicknamed the white Pele: Norberto Alonso.

The idol of the 90's: el Principe (the Prince) Enzo Francescoli.

This is just an example of the kind of players who played in River. Most of the best Argentine players played for River. And some of the best of the history of the game.

#94 ·
And as an end to this presentation of the most successful Argentine team, a few players who are still active:

Pablo Aimar

Hernan Crespo

Roberto Ayala

Javier Mascherano

Martin Demichelis

Javier Saviola

Ariel Ortega

Marcelo Salas

Esteban Cambiasso

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.