Mens Tennis Forums banner

John "the Mailman" Millman Cheering Thread

162K views 2K replies 68 participants last post by  Sombrerero loco 
#1 ·
Johnny Millman, no he isn't going to be one of the alltime greats, and I am not starting this thread because of nationalistic reasons either.

He made sure he finished his schooling before starting to play on the tour, which is a good thing and he is a good guy with a very positive attitude.

Played well this week by making the semis of the Burnie Challenger losing to Klein, who won the title. After a few days at home, he is going to Spain and playing Futures events on the clay, which is a surface that he enjoys playing on. It will help the development of his game and also he can use his fitness.

He has won a Futures title and made a final in a Romanian futures as a qualifier.

#1,535 ·
I almost thought he lost it after having a MP at 5-4 40-30. But he doesn't know how to hit through the court and too often waits for the ball to come to him. Quite a bad habit. The game to save MPs though, was pretty good, he didn't wait for the ball and was pretty solid to start the TB before nerves almost came back to haunt him. Good stuff for Mailman to make a clay final.

#1,536 ·
I think he's still the underdog for the final, but if he can step up and win it I think it could be quite significant for the rest of his career - he perpetually seems to be in a "close but no cigar" kind of scenario when he plays top players. If he can finally get over that mental hurdle of taking his opportunities (career-best win over Pouille, saving MPs on the way to his first title, and beating tour-level players on his worst surface), he might finally be able to make that little next jump to get his ranking into the top 40 or so. Fingers crossed anyway :yeah:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.