Mens Tennis Forums banner

how does one rekindle his/her interest in tennis?

2K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  tennisprince 
#1 ·
i used to be obsessed with tennis, but now i don't care :bigcry::sad:

why?? :confused::confused:

#2 ·
Wait for that special player to respark your interest. Could take a while.

I must say, these Rafaless days I can still enjoy tennis, but not nearly half as much as to when he's around the tour (doesn't even have to be a Rafa match, as long as he's there)

Reactions: GOATsol
#6 ·
Yeah, I'm the same when my faves go away. I never completely lose interest, but I need a special player to be really into it.

Sometimes, you're lucky. I did not feel too depressed after Kafelnikov's retirement, because I quickly started to follow Coria. But when Coria's career came to an end quite prematurely, it took me a long time and I did lose interest for a while.

#3 ·
maybe u need a new tennis fav?

i guess after fed Broke all records and peaks Your interest decline?

#8 ·
Go watch a challenger, or better yet a futures.

It won't rekindle anything old, it'll kindle something fresh within you.

Reactions: Roger the Dodger
#10 ·
support Andy Murray

don't accept anything but the best.

Reactions: Nole fan
#12 ·
It will come back. I'm sure everyone at one point or another (sonner or later) loses some interest in the sport. In my case, that happened to me a few years ago and recently towards the end of last year -used to log in to MTF almost everyday and suddenly didn't enter for about a whole month-. Sometimes it is because you're having less free time, other things consuming most of your time or it could be a case of your favourites not doing well enough and you feeling bad about it. This last reason would suck if it's your spot, since it could indicate you're more of a player-fan rather than a tennis supporter.

Either way I'm pretty sure it will come back if it's a sport you really like, and seems like it.

#13 ·
Well, I think it's a bit too simplistic to claim that people who need to follow specific players don't like the sport. Usually my interest is divided between three sports: tennis, cycling, and ice dance.
I think I love all three, but still, my interest will fluctuate from time to time. And usually, it depends on whether there is someone that can feed my interest or not.

I used to be really crazy about cycling, but at the moment, to be honest, I don't really care much, because there's no one that I like enough (apart from Andy Schleck maybe, but it's more like a slight crush, I find him adorable but I don't think he's that great a cyclist so it's not enough).

At the moment, I am really interested in tennis, because Ferrer is someone that I like as a guy but that I also admire a lot, and I love both the personnality he projects and his tennis. Plus, he's doing well at the moment.

As for ice-dance, I'm following it more closely than cycling, but not as closely as I once did. Since all my favourite skaters have retired, and because it also coincided in my opinion with the return of a very classical, unimaginative approach to ice dance, I sometimes cannot bring myself to care much about the competitions anymore. Still, ice dance is not only a sport that I watch, it's a sport that I've practiced for 10 years, so the fact that I'm losing interest from time to time when no skaters can instill much enthusiasm in me, does not mean that I do not truly love the sport.

#14 ·
Sure, I see your point. Wasn't my intention to imply that losing a bit of interest in the sport when a player you like is not riding good momentum = not loving the sport. Maybe I interpreted his/her post wrongly, but saying plainly 'don't care anymore' sounded a bit rough. I do know people that gave up on specific sports as soon as their favourites retired, or started to greatly decline though. Like I said before, one can lose interest in a sport from time to time and it happens to almost everyone, but if you truly do like it a lot, it shall come back for sure.

You make a very good point and I think in some cases the bond with it will be way greater if you actually practice or used to practice it. Again, back to my previous post, I've lost some interest in tennis many times but it always ends up coming back eventually. I know I would still watch it and play it casually even if a time comes were I don't like any player, the great memories both playing and watching great matches would pull me back!

#18 ·
Takes notes everyone. This man embraces the true ideals of the MTF forumer.

Reactions: Punky
#19 ·
Based on your posted age, could be you have a diminished attention span. :shrug: That's not an insult; it's a sad reality for people of your generation based on the environment you grow up in. And to tell you the truth, I feel like MY attention span is decreasing the last 4 or 5, and I'm twice your age (still too young for senility, hopefully).

#26 ·
Fourth consecutive Rafole GS final at RG made me less interested about tennis than in a long time. But Rafa's upset loss rekindled my interest. Not because of Rosol's epic playing but because that meant there won't be 5th consecutive Rafole GS final, and the bottom half is very open (I'm still gutted Ferru lost to Murray, he could've made it to final). And Fed beating Nole was refreshing too, there was two different players than in previous four slam finals.

#24 ·
Break out the Tommy Haas DVDs mate.

#29 ·
Anyone who says "love the game", well the game is dying. For the future of tennis, look at the WTA. How do people support that nonsense? They treat it like a combination of "The Jersey Shore", "Sex and the City", and pro-wrestling. If you don't like that, my advice is to watch the Nadal-Rosol match every time you get the urge for real tennis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.