Mens Tennis Forums banner

Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

11K views 169 replies 52 participants last post by  acionescu 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
" But tennis is much more competitive now than when I arrived, 6-7 years ago, because all are prepared better, train better, eat better."

You got that right, Nole. It's a travesty that Mugerer was able to win so many slams during the weakest era in tennis history, the early to mid 00s.

#5 ·
:haha: if you take mid 00s literally, "mugerer" still won 13 GS after this "week era". And after Djokovic won his first slam, this mugerer won 5 more of his, i.e. only 1 less than Djoko in the same period. And this was when he was past his prime with all the tough competition in place, right...

You, sir, are wrong..)

#22 ·
I detected whining here.

If serve & volley can win the games these days - Stepanek would be multiple grand slam winner. But he is not.

#23 ·
Lol, this just confirms what all the rational people have been thinking up till now - Djokovic builds up his rivals, so his head can grow bigger whenever he defeats them.

The best thing about this is that I can say it without the danger of a badrep from Nole Fan :angel:.

#45 ·
Gimme a break, so it blows now, but it was strong when Ljubicic was #3? :) As someone recently said, he was a great player, except he couldn't play well in slams :spit: Imagine some of the present juniors wins Wimbledon next year (like Becker did in his time), you can bet everyone would use that to say how this era is p*** poor.

#49 ·
Gimme a break, so it blows now, but it was strong when Ljubicic was #3? :) As someone recently said, he was a great player, except he couldn't play well in slams
There are times when players mathematically achieve a high ranking even though they really have no business being there:
Bjorkman was #4 in 1997
Corretja was #3 in 1998
Enqvist was #4 in 1999
Norman was #4 in 2000

#54 ·
Of course he got shivers, Fakervic knows he's a fraud. Like feeling the shadow of death walk by you, he gets shivers knowing how unbelievable (some could even say offensive to the senses) that he is a multi-slam winner.

#57 ·
more slams coming ....

#61 ·
Peak Federer is probably the highest level of tennis I have ever seen- an almost stratospheric level of play. Whilst Nole is a beast of a player in his own right, I think he'd find himself on the back foot a hell of a lot if he came up against a prime form of Roger.

#62 ·
Peak vs Peak it's close, though Federer was the player who could play his best level most consistently. What he did from 2004 to 2007 was unreal. Nobody ever came close to such domination in a long period of time.

#75 ·
Peak Fed is a myth. He was arguably the best player ever in his peak. But if you think he would lose only to Nadal on clay and not 1 more match or if you think 2011 Novak would be Slamless, think again. If you ask 'would Fed have more Slams than Novak' - yes. Would Novak still grab a decent number of Slams - yes.

#80 ·
My opinion - Fed would win average 2 Slams a year, Nadal and Novak 1 each. But that's all could've, would've, should've. Maybe Novak would break out 1st and destroy Fed few times and develop his game in a different way that wouldn't suit Federer. Maybe that would be his main goal - like he changed his style in 2011 in order to win, maybe he would change his style to be more aggressive or whatever in order to stop Fed. Maybe Fed would (wrongly) change his gameplan after getting owned few times and we would never see his true potential. It all looks easy now 'player's A peak > players B peak' he would win everything. There's bunch of stuff that could influence each of them and they would become different players (like a different coach for example). It is what it is, we can never know what would really happen.

#167 ·
Correct. The variables would change. If Novak could go back in time like Marty McFly, everything we know today would be different, including the number of GOAT gloryhunters on MTF. Can't imagine what Nadal and the Falcon would have done to Fed's confidence and mental game. It's easy to play godlike tennis when you really outclass your opponents (refer to some of the pigeon and turkey head to heads), its always the same NID types of matches over and over again. Throw a wrench in that confidence and it's a game changer.

#81 ·
Nole beat peak Fed in AO 2008 in 3 if i recall :haha: But ofc Olderertads will say he was past his peak at 27 :haha: Funny when he started losing from better players and getting owned right and left his 'peak' suddenly went away. Pathetic Fedtards :haha:

#82 ·
Every non hater knows he had mono that year. Making slam semis-finals with crippling illness is easy, really. I mean it only put out Soderling for months with no return in sight, what a spartan warrior this Noserer is. Made RG/W finals and won USO 2008 practically on his deathbed. :eek::bowdown:

Reactions: BauerAlmeida
#97 ·
bloody 6 slam wonder needs to get his giant ego in check

shiver when you reach the greatness level of gs won = 10+

not that you'll ever reach it boy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.